Prince Valdemar (1858 - 1939), Princess Marie and family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually at the time all homosexual relationships were illegal. Age of consent between hetersexual relations didnt exist in some countries and in those that it did it may have been as young as twelve. Also there are several examples of uncle niece marriages hopefully you judge them the same way.

Of course. My judgement is based to the two facts i do not agree for, i.e close family relation and young age of one of the pair (actually if they were both sixteen, would be slightly more acceptable for me, than 28 to 16y). The "same sexe" matter does not interfere at all. An 28 y old aunt with her 16 nephew, or the opposite is also very bad for me.

Last edited:
Fandesacs, I am surprised with your threads.
What happens here was normal for royals at that time. They had to have Children.
They are a of of bi-sexuals among the royals of the past.

Fandesacs, I am surprised with your threads.
What happens here was normal for royals at that time. They had to have Children.
They are a of of bi-sexuals among the royals of the past.

My dear you completely misunderstood my words. I really do not care or judge that Pcs Valdemar + Pcs George had an homosexual relation. I just disapprove that a 28 years person had a sexual relation with the 16 years old, kid of his sibling!!! Heterosexual or Homosexeual it does not make any difference. It was an adult with a kid, his own brother's kid.

Just put into actual years, and think about Pcs Albert of Monaco having a relationship with Charlotte Casiraghi when she was 16!!
Or Pcs Edward, duke of Wessex with Pcs Harry when he was 16!
I do not think that even now in our modern societies it could appear normal.

Fair enough, I do understand your arguement re the closeness of kin. However remember that it was commonplace back then for what we call young girls sixteen and up to be married off to much older men. Especially if there was an inheritance involved. I
Of course. My judgement is based to the two facts i do not agree for, i.e close family relation and young age of one of the pair (actually if they were both sixteen, would be slightly more acceptable for me, than 28 to 16y). The "same sexe" matter does not interfere at all. An 28 y old aunt with her 16 nephew, or the opposite is also very bad for me.

Their relationship was known and Prince Valdemar was not banned .
He was a popular guest to very important events. See picture in this thread where he is a Widow.

What strikes me most in the story of the relationship of these people was that it seemed to me that P.George got a really big shock (if not to say trauma) from his father/parents leaving him alone.
He must have had a real difficult time after that to develop his own personality and became really dependent on his uncle, even after his marriage (and even involving his wife in a threesome)...

At the time of Prince Valdemar's marriage to Princess Marie of Orleans, it was decided that any sons would be brought up in Valdemar's Lutheran faith.

Was it stipulated that any sons of Prince Valdemar would be in the line of succession to the Danish throne?

Prince Valdemar was offered two European thrones, those of Bulgaria and Norway. He declined them due to international pressures.
Which throne was Valdemar offered first: Bulgaria or Norway? :throne:

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: All four sons were in the line of succession to the Danish throne from they were born. However, of all the brothers, only Axel retained his place after his marriage – Aage, Erik and Viggo either married commoners or without the king's permission and automatically renounced their rights to the throne.

But even Prince Prince Axel Sons :
Georg remained Prince because she married a divorcee who was cousin of the Queen Mother of England - no Children
Fleming married a commoner and lost his title of Prince, had Children who sold a lot of their family items. I bought one in Drouot Paris a few years ago.

Ofcourse anything found on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt (including a lot on these forums ;) ) but this might be an interesting read on the subject

Sorry for being picky but since when are the Battenbergs a morganatic branch of the House of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Last edited:
It's hardly surprising that Bulgaria was declined. It would have put Valdemar into direct conflict with his older brother – not favourable for any of the people involved. I actually recall reading in En kongelig familie (2004) that it was Valdemar himself who declined the throne, but I reckon it was a mutual decision between Christian IX and him.

Last edited:
After her graduation, Prince Valdemar's daughter Margrethe went to France to visit her grandmother, the Duchess of Chartres. The outbreak of the First World War made it impossible for Margrethe to return home through Germany.

:previous: Might this have been in 1903 or after?
Princess Marie participated in the exhibition at Charlottenburg in 1902.

:previous: Might this have been in 1903 or after?
Princess Marie participated in the exhibition at Charlottenburg in 1902.

I would assume she had agreed to return to Denmark by then, especially as Louise had been dead for a few years at that point.

The stories about her dependencies on morphine and alcohol are also difficult to confirm.

While I do believe the story of her running around Copenhagen with young Prince Carl (at least it would explain why he fictionally said "she was the only one here who was nice to me"), they were hardly of a "similar age". He was 13!

Similar mentality, maybe. :cool: (And they did have similar tattoos.)

Letters from Princess Marie to Prince Valdemar were to be sold at Drouot but the family cancelled.

Shocking color for a respectable lady (not to mention princess) of the era, but unsurprising on Marie.

Back
Top Bottom