Prince Gustav of Berleburg and Elvire de Rochefort: The Breakdown

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefanie

Serene Highness
City
Somewhere in Germany
Country
Germany
As far as I can remember his first fiancee Elvire Rochefort de Pasté turned out to be a golddigger as well and Benedikte didn´t realize it during their engagement time. Only when, I think Elvire´s father, started to lay claims to a not acceptable amount of money in case of a divorce, they found out....:cool:

It was her father and her father alone.

Soooo, Stefanie, her father's sole actions of wanting a firm pre-nup (hence money) was Elvire's fault alone? That makes sense. Prince Richard and Princess Benedikte were not to happy with the father's demands, who is pretty well off in his own right by the way, but thankfully it has been reported that Gustav and Elvire are still "good friends."

Who was Prince Gustav previously engaged to? I didn't know that he had an ex-fiancee.

:previous:
Gustav was previously engaged to Elvire de Rochefort, they were engaged for about a year before they split.

Was their break-up due to this will?

Was their break-up due to this will?

No I believe the break-up was due to the fiancee's money grugging father who ask for some high terms during the prenup negotiations.

That is what I have read also dbarn67. I believe Elvire met all the 'requirements' for the will.

Alexandria said:
It was rumored that Elvire's father could not accept the financial amount to be given to Elvire or something to do with finances.
The above quote is from this thread

Last edited:
That is what I have read also dbarn67. I believe Elvire met all the 'requirements' for the will.

She did!

Officially the wedding was postponed due to "security issues in Paris" (the explanation offered by the office of Pcs. Benedikte). Nobody believed it and it didn't take long for the real reason to come out: the prenup!

Elvire's father publicly confirmed that the family would not accept the conditions of the pre-nup.

That is their explanation. Maybe it's correct. Or maybe one of the parties just had a change of heart.

what did it say the pre-nup?

what did it say the pre-nup?

Ashelen, I no longer remember the details, and the exact amounts were never published! However the essence was that in case of a divorce, the financial settlements were unsatisfacory for Elvire de Rochefort! Gustaf's estate was to be kept separate in order to avoid a split should they divorce. The Rocheforts, unimpressed by old titles and royal connections wanted more than that!

Ashelen, I no longer remember the details, and the exact amounts were never published! However the essence was that in case of a divorce, the financial settlements were unsatisfacory for Elvire de Rochefort! Gustaf's estate was to be kept separate in order to avoid a split should they divorce. The Rocheforts, unimpressed by old titles and royal connections wanted more than that!
so aftr all it was not much love there!

so aftr all it was not much love there!

Probably not!

It was a peculiar story. IMO if they had had the will, they would have found a way to solve the problem!

Probably not!

It was a peculiar story. IMO if they had had the will, they would have found a way to solve the problem!

Viv - the will has been around for literally decades; it was known, legally probated, and executed.

Viv - the will has been around for literally decades; it was known, legally probated, and executed.

I think Viv wasn't referring to Gustav's grandfather's will in that context, but rather another type of will - that if Elvire and Gustav were really keen on getting married, they would have managed to do so without the case breaking down over a prenuptial agreement. "When there is a will, there is a way" :flowers:

I think Viv wasn't referring to Gustav's grandfather's will in that context, but rather another type of will - that if Elvire and Gustav were really keen on getting married, they would have managed to do so without the case breaking down over a prenuptial agreement. "When there is a will, there is a way" :flowers:

Ah! That makes sense.

Wonder if Elvire kept the engagement ring? I know etiquette requires that if the lady breaks the engagement, she is to return the ring; if the gentlemen breaks the engagement, she may offer to return the ring but is not obliged. Can't find a reference to "what about if my dad thought it was his payday" in any etiquette guides, though.

Ah! That makes sense.

Wonder if Elvire kept the engagement ring? I know etiquette requires that if the lady breaks the engagement, she is to return the ring; if the gentlemen breaks the engagement, she may offer to return the ring but is not obliged. Can't find a reference to "what about if my dad thought it was his payday" in any etiquette guides, though.

My guess is that this scenario would fall into the "lady breaks the engagement" category. No, she didn't directly break the engagement, but her father's actions caused this engagement to end. I would hope that she returned the ring. Since it appears that the breakup is a result of her family's actions, it would be very tacky (IMO) for her to keep the ring.

Indeed!
Thanks, Norwegianne :flowers:

My guess is that this scenario would fall into the "lady breaks the engagement" category. No, she didn't directly break the engagement, but her father's actions caused this engagement to end. I would hope that she returned the ring. Since it appears that the breakup is a result of her family's actions, it would be very tacky (IMO) for her to keep the ring.

Definitely a likely scenario. It could also have played out that his family simply refused to go further down the line, which would make it his ending of the engagement. Ah, well. That gem could be at the bottom of a well by now, pitched in a fit of pique. By either of them!

We have touched the break down of the engagement of Gustav zu-Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Elvire de Rochefort in another thread.

Today in my loft, I found the very May 23rd 2001 issue of Danish royalty magazine Billed Bladet, in which there was a three page report on the postponement of the wedding and the problems with the pre-nup.

I will post this in a new thread, but it goes without saying that the moderators are welcome to think otherwise! :)

The article was written by Mr. Keld Nilsson, who was one of BB's respected correspondents. He used to live in Paris for many years, which may have been a contributing factor to this piece.

I cannot say whether Keld Nilsson reveals the "whole truth and nothing but" or whether he is speculating to some extend. The fact is that there are a few contradictions in this piece, and the trick is to try to analyze the text in context.

Anyway: The article reveals that the Wittgensteins and the Rocheforts are at loggerheads because of the pre-nup! The funny (peculiar) thing is that Gustav and Elvire are reported by be on a premature honeymoon while their respective parents are fighting over the conditions of the pre-nup! Mr. Nilsson presents the situation and refers to the statements of Hervé de Rochefort, the father of Elvire. He says that he doesn't want to fuel the fire, but having said so, he goes on to explain the issue in general terms:

" In fact, the date of the wedding was postponed on request by the Wittgenstein family as a consequence that my daugther Elvire refused to sign the pre-nup(tial) which was handed to her in February by a legal advisor of the family of her fiancé".

There was a communique by M. de Rochefort in French saying:

" Ce contrat etait, de fait, totalement deséquilibré en dëfaveur de ma fille et dérogatoire du droit commun; il n'aurait pu que nuire á l'equilibre du couple et ne pouvant être signé en la forme."
(sorry, Francophones if I got the accents aigu et graves mixed up! :))

In English, approx: This contract was totally unbalanced and not in favour of my daugther and (it was) contrary to common (family?) law. It would have harmed the equality of the couple and could not be signed in the present form.

Elvire's father states, that Elvire did not want to split the Berleburg estate in case of a divorce, she just wanted reasonable financial arrangements.

It is rather strange to read this piece eight years after the event!
To me it looks as if the Wittgensteins were (still) trying to keep up the appearances by giving the impression, that Gustav and Elvire were continuing as if nothing had happened. Meanwhile the father of the bride chose to comment to a Danish magazine!

About five weeks later the engagement was called off.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this information, Viv. It is very interesting to hear Elvire's father so freely sharing this information with a Danish magazine. IMO, it was in poor taste to share this info with the media. It really does not make her father look good. I wonder what Elvire thought when she learned that her father chose to share this information with the world. No wonder the families weren't getting along.

It is very interesting to hear Elvire's father so freely sharing this information with a Danish magazine. IMO, it was in poor taste to share this info with the media. It really does not make her father look good. I wonder what Elvire thought when she learned that her father chose to share this information with the world. No wonder the families weren't getting along.

Well, you could say so, and the father is probably a lost case for (a career in )the diplomacy! However my impression is that the bride and her family felt steamrolled by the Wittgensteins. As I mentioned on another thread the damage limitation procedure was handled very clumsily by the office of Princess Benedikte, the silly excuses on HRH order no doubt! Maybe Elvire's father saw no point in going along with them and decided to cut the nonsense!
I, for one think that he knew what he was doing :whistling:!

On the positive side:: He didn't reveal the contents of the pre-nup!

Back
Top Bottom