King Christian X

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alejandro_sk

Commoner
City
Buenos Aires
Country
Argentina
Stories about Christian X of Denmark.

kerry said:
How could it be just? If you went against the Nazis then you were a traitor. This isn't everyday run-of-the-mill espionage we're talking here. This was genocide plain and simple. If you didn't agree with Hitler and his regime then you had better put on a brave front a try to "fit in" with your fellow Aryan brothers or be labeled an enemy of the state to face the same fate as the Jews. Nothing was just, nothing.
When Hitler ordered Danish Jews to wear the yellow star, the Danish Royal family wore it too and asked their people to do so too, so the Nazi (not German) troops could not tell who was who. Tha Danish Royal family was brave enough to defy Hitler. Why couldn't other royal houses do the same? I mean, it was possible!
Alex

alejandro_sk said:
When Hitler ordered Danish Jews to wear the yellow star, the Danish Royal family wore it too and asked their people to do so too, so the Nazi (not German) troops could not tell who was who. Tha Danish Royal family was brave enough to defy Hitler. Why couldn't other royal houses do the same? I mean, it was possible!
Alex
Alex, fellow countryman, don't let yourself be carried away by historical accuracy. :)
I've read the book and I can tell you it's not as 'historical' as the title may suggest. ;) 'Predicting' about a book is not always good. Let sleeping dogs lie ... ;) ;) ;)
Cheers! :)
Martin

alejandro_sk said:
Yes, that's true. I have not read that book but I know that King Leopold III of Belgium almost lost his throne during that time. What I said about the Royal Danish house is also from another book. There was a bit of everything during that time and I'm afraid we'll never get to know the whole truth.
Alejandro
The Danish Jews were never ordered to wear the Star of David, thus the legend that King Christian wore it on his daily rides in Copenhagen, is just a myth.

He did irritate Hitler, though, when he sent a thank you note back in response to birthday greetings, and the note was short and concise "My thanks, Christian R." (Paraphrased.) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_X

But generally the royal and WWII is an exciting topic, and this book should be a fascinating read.

We also have a topic in the Royal Chit Chat part of the forum What did Monarchs do during WWII for those of you interested.

norwegianne said:
The Danish Jews were never ordered to wear the Star of David, thus the legend that King Christian wore it on his daily rides in Copenhagen, is just a myth.
Hello!
I have never been to Denmark and I was born ages after the war, but if the legend you mention is a myth, then it is a very popular one! :) I have one book that mentions that, here with me (for school):
Thomson, David; Europe since Napoleon; Penguin Books Ltd. pp 768-769.
It doesn't say that the King wore the yellow star on his daily rides but that the whole Royal family stood on the palace balcony (?) wearing the stars and telling the people to do the same.
Thank you for the links, the one to Wikipedia too! :)
Alejandro

norwegianne said:

Hi norwegianne!
Now that you mention it, I think there is/was a photo (not picture or painting) :eek: showing King Christian wearing the Star of David! I'll see if I can find it. Any idea who took it, where or when? :confused: And above all, why? :rolleyes:
Martin

King Kong said:
Hi norwegianne!
Now that you mention it, I think there is/was a photo (not picture or painting) :eek: showing King Christian wearing the Star of David! I'll see if I can find it. Any idea who took it, where or when? :confused: And above all, why? :rolleyes:
Martin
I'd be interested in seeing it. Everywhere I've seen, it's proclaimed to be a myth, and I think I remember reading in the latest biography about Queen Margrethe that she also said that it was a myth. But if you have proof - I'd be more than willing to see it. :) EDIT: As I'm getting anxious to find out what is real, I've ordered a book on "Christian X and the occupation" from the library... ;) Maybe the picture could be there?

It's important to remember, as well, that out of Denmark's 7,500 Jews, only 51 perished in the German camps, due to the Danish population's immensely large rescue operation before the Jews were to be transported to Germany.

For those interested: There is also a children's book written about this legend: The Yellow Star: The Legend of King Christian X of Denmark, and Number the Stars by Lois Lowry also bears mention of it.

Last edited:
My father was Jewish and escaped the holocaust by being evacuated to England by the Red Cross; apparently shortly before he died a couple of years ago, when he was reminiscing about things to my mother's Danish sister-in-law, he told her how much the European Jews living in exile in England (and maybe elsewhere) had appreciated the support shown by the Danish king and people. The particular story of the King wearing the yellow star in support of the Jewish community may be apocryphal, but it sounds as though he was lending support somehow.

norwegianne said:
I'd be interested in seeing it. Everywhere I've seen, it's proclaimed to be a myth, and I think I remember reading in the latest biography about Queen Margrethe that she also said that it was a myth. But if you have proof - I'd be more than willing to see it. :) EDIT: As I'm getting anxious to find out what is real, I've ordered a book on "Christian X and the occupation" from the library... ;) Maybe the picture could be there?

It's important to remember, as well, that out of Denmark's 7,500 Jews, only 51 perished in the German camps, due to the Danish population's immensely large rescue operation before the Jews were to be transported to Germany.

For those interested: There is also a children's book written about this legend: The Yellow Star: The Legend of King Christian X of Denmark, and Number the Stars by Lois Lowry also bears mention of it.

Hi norwegianne!
I don't have proof about the photo but the article from Wikipedia you linked in your post to Alejandro also mentions "photo" not picture. All the same, I'll keep on Googling for it. :) Besides, whatever you may find about King Christian X in the books you ordered, please, let me know. I'm interested, star or no star. ;)
I think that on the whole, the moral behind the legend is that Danish people really helped Jews and the Royal family must have been quite against Hitler if we are to judge by their popularity after the war. Good for them! :)
Cheers!
Martin

The posts previous to this one have been moved from another thread, as they had little to do with the actual book in question. Please remember the rules when posting. (If you can't recall them, please take a moment to reread them.;))

Norwegianne.
Royal Librarian aka. Royal Library Moderator ;)

I have always loved the book Number the Stars when I was a kid. I recently read it again and still like it. I thought Denmark and their King were so cool after reading that book. The things they did to protect the jews amazed me. I also heard that it was a myth and not actuall truth.

Name: Christian Carl Frederik Albert Alexander Vilhelm

Birth: 26. September, 1870.

Child of: Frederik VIII and Queen Louise (Lovisa)

Reign: 1912 [father's death] - 1947 [own death]. (Note: King of Iceland until 1944)

Motto: "Min Gud, mit Land, min Ære" My God, my country, my honour.

Marriage: 26. April, 1898 to Alexandrine of Mecklenburg-Schwerin

Children: Frederik (b. 1899) and Knud (b. 1900)

Death: 1947.

Throne passed to: Frederik IX

Notes:

Brother of King Haakon VII of Norway.

Royal Library thread: Stories about Christian X of Denmark

Source: http://www.kongehuset.no

Last edited:
Christian X 1912 - 1947
Born on the 26 of September 1870. Parents: King Frederik VIII and Queen Lovisa (née Princess of Sweden). King on the 14 of May 1912 upon the death of his father.
Married on the 26 of April 1998 to Alexandrine, Duchess of Mecklenburg-Schwerin. Sons: Frederik IX, Knud.
When Iceland became an independant Kingdom in 1918, Christian became King of Iceland. As such he was deposed in 1944.
He was politically very active, until he lost his functions during the German occupation 1940-1945.
He died on the 20 of April 1947 and was succeeded by his son, Frederik IX.
Motto: My God, My Country, My Honour

Photos of Christian X and family on Brigitte Gastel Lloyd site http://worldroots.com/brigitte/royal/christian10denmark1870.htm

Genealogy and not only of Christian X http://geneweb.inria.fr/roglo?lang=en&m=NG&n=christian+X&t=PN

Last edited:
alejandro_sk said:
Alex

Okay guys, lets not get carried away, I have a Danish Jewish friend, who's mother was in Denmark at the time of the holocaust, and he told me that the King of Denmark threatened that he and all his fellow Danishmen would wear a yellow star, so the Nazi's wouldn't differentiate between on Danishman and another, in his eyes, all his subjects are the same. The Nazi's then realized that they would have no cooperation from the Danish nation, (like the countries of Hungary, Poland, the Ukraine, Lithuania- the latter 2 being part of Poland and Russia during WWII) and the Jewish people of Denmark were not put through any torment or discrimination, untill they were meant to be deported, and the rest is well known, how they were smuggled to Sweden. I would like to mention another last point, to the credit of the Danish nation, that when the Danish Jewish people went back home after WWII, none of their houses were ransacked, everything was,a s they had left it! It sends shivers down my spine, May the King's memory be blessed, together with the rest of the Danish nation!

474uv8.jpg

King Christian X.

475zz3.jpg

Queen Alexandrine.

Was he the one that did not get along with Marie Feodorovna of Russia? I know she stayed with one of the Christian's after the revolution, and they fought tooth and nail.

Maria Feodorovna would have been his aunt. It's possible. Can someone verify this?

I just saw one of the "A Royal Family: The Father In Law of Europe" episodes. I recall it said that she was extremely hard to get along with - one incident, something about saving electricity [Chris X] [?] Marie did the opposite and turned all the lights on in a palace [?]

Furienna said:
Maria Feodorovna would have been his aunt. It's possible. Can someone verify this?

Yes, Marie Feodorvna was the younger sister of Christian's father, King Frederik VIII. She had been christened Princess Dagmar in Denmark and had been betrothed to the Russian tsarevich, Nicholas, while a young girl. Nixa died and Dagmar married his younger brother, later to become Alexander III. She changed her name to Marie Feodorovna at that time.

flctylu said:
I just saw one of the "A Royal Family: The Father In Law of Europe" episodes. I recall it said that she was extremely hard to get along with - one incident, something about saving electricity [Chris X] [?] Marie did the opposite and turned all the lights on in a palace [?]
It is one episode of their relationship, that is often brought into the light.

Marie/Dagmar was most likely used to the wealth/power she'd had in Russia. Denmark at the time, however, was not a wealthy country, and I've read, in the biography about Frederik IX, that the King even chose to get less money from the state than he'd done before - possibly as to not incite the people's ire.

The story goes something like this:

King Christian X, irritated at the Dowager Empress, send a messanger to tell her that if she was not going to be in every room of her suite if she would please turn off the lights. Seeing as the Dowager had company and was very much embarresed she sent her footman to "turn on every light in the wing" and he did. From the attic to the cellar.

Christian X made a speech in August of 1943 against the occupying forces which resulted in his imprisonment for the remainder of the war. Does anyone know here I can find a copy of this speech? Preferably in English but I can translate it if I have to. Thanks!

christian x seem to inherit his grandfather believe that kings has more right than those installed by parliament and he has his mother charachter which his to never let his children forget he is their sovereign and head of the dnasty

I think he was a wonderfully brave man for what he did. The story of the King and the Star of David is remarkable. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom