Funeral of Queen Ingrid; November 14, 2000

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mandy

Majesty
Country
United States
Queen Ingrid died 7 November 2000 at the age of 90. Her flag-draped casket was taken from Christiansborg church to the railway station in Copenhagen and went by steam train to Roskilde. The funeral which was attended by her family and crown heads of Europe took place in Roskilde's Cathedral. Queen Ingrid was buried beside her husband, King Frederik IX at Roskilde.

Last edited:
10 November 2000 - Queen Ingrid's flag-draped casket rested for three days in Copenhagen's Christiansborg Palace Chapel.

Prince Frederik, Queen Anne Marie, Princess Benedikte, Prince Henrik, Queen Margrethe.
Picture
Picture

Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik walk past Queen Ingrid flag-draped casket.
Picture

11 November 2000 - Tribute to Queen Ingrid.
Picture

12 November 2000 - The Danish people pay tribute to Queen Ingrid.
Picture

Last edited:
14 November 2000

SJAELLAND, DENMARK: Thousands of spectators gather in the streets of Roskilde to pay their last respect to Denmark's Queen Mother Ingrid during the funeral procession in Roskilde on Tuesday 14 November 2000. Walking behind the hearse are Danish Crown Prince Frederik (L, uniform), Queen Margrethe (C) and Prince Consort Henrik (R, uniform). The funeral of Queen Mother Ingrid, who died last Tuesday at the age of 90, took place in Roskilde's Cathedral. EPA PHOTO SCANPIX NORDFOTO/KELD NAVNTOFT

Procession to Roskilde's Cathedral

Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik

Queen Margrethe, Crown Prince Frederik

King Constantine, Queen Anne-Marie

Prince Joachim, Princess Alexandra

King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Princess Lilian

Princess Madeleine, Prince Carl Philip, Princess Victoria

Grand Duke Jean, King Carl Gustaf, Queen Beatrix, King Harald

Queen Sophia

Prince Albert, Prince Charles

Prince Charles

Princess Märtha Louise, Princess Caroline, Prince Ernst August

Princess Märtha Louise, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon

Prince Hasma of Jordan

Last edited:
its seem likely the queen doesnt show much emmotion as the other daughters and why is the prince consort staring at:ermm:

its seem likely the queen doesnt show much emmotion as the other daughters and why is the prince consort staring at:ermm:

I think that Queen Margrethe has learned not to show her sorrow in public an grieve home in privat..I think that Prince Consort Henrik is looking up in heaven to see that his mother inlaw is safe....I did the same when my grandmother was buried in April this year :ermm::ermm:
The hardest time at my grandmothers funural was when the coffin was put down in the ground, so therfor i chose to look at the flag in the heaven.

Back to subject i think it must be very hard so say godbye to a parrent thinking of Queen Ingrids daugthers and their ages.

:previous:
I think royals have learnt not to show emotion in public not just Queen M.
Queen M looks just as distraught as Quee AM or Princess Benedikte.

I think that Prince Consort Henrik is looking up in heaven to see that his mother inlaw is safe...

It's a sweet thought, H.M. Margrethe, but please take a closer look the next time you watch Prince Henrik attending a church ceremony! He invariably looks as if he'd rather be some place else! He is bored stiff when in church, but then again religious beliefs don't mean the same to him as they do to the Queen.

Viv

I'm curious why Queen Margrethe, Queen Anne-Marie, and Princess Benedikte are wearing formal mourning clothes and veils, while the other female members of the family aren't. Is this a matter of etiquette, personal preference, or tradition?

At the time of the funeral, Alexandra was still married to Joachim, so I'd have imagined that all "princesses of the house" would be dressed similarly.

Were Pavlos and Marie Chantal there?

It's a sweet thought, H.M. Margrethe, but please take a closer look the next time you watch Prince Henrik attending a church ceremony! He invariably looks as if he'd rather be some place else! He is bored stiff when in church, but then again religious beliefs don't mean the same to him as they do to the Queen.

Viv
As he is when he is in the Royal Theatre...

Wasn't Crown prince Frederick the one who was close to his grandmother Queen Ingrid?

Yes, but all her grandchildren was close to her :)

Remembering Queen Ingrid today. 11 years since she passed away. What a marvellous woman she was.

It was Queen Ingrids brothers Count Sigvard and wife Marianne Bernadotte attend Ingrids funeral. Count Carl Johan and wife Gunnila Bernadotte was attend Ingrids funeral. Oldest brother Sigvard and youngest brother Carl Johan Bernadotte. Sister-in-law Marianne and Gunnila, Princess Lilian.

I was watching the video of the funeral of Queen Ingrid.

Begravelse - Dronning Ingrid - dr.dk/Bonanza

What is the orgin and meaning of laying fir boughs along the road that the funeral procession passes over?

The fir branches were silencing the procession, but it is also a token of honour! I can't say whether 'the palace' requested this or if it was organized by the city of Roskilde. I haven't seen this before .. nor after, for that matter. However previously in rural districts flowers were often strewn along stretches of the funeral procession route - depending on the season.

viv

Hard to believe that was over 20 years ago :previous:

Thanks, Polyesco.

I remember it clearly. Not least the details.

That twigs of fir had been scattered on the streets close to the cathedral, to lessen the sound of the horses hoves and the wheels of the carriage.
That the train was pulled by a steam locomotive.
There is a grand style over a steam locomotive that modern locomotives simply don't have.

In the Roskilde Church Queen Margreta II will be buried alone ...a première!

There is a grand style over a steam locomotive that modern locomotives simply don't have.
I don't know whether it's true or not but I read somewhere that the churches of Copenhagen had been told to toll their bells until a man positioned in the tower of Copenhagen City Hall couldn't see the steam from the train anymore. Unfortunately the clear and cold weather meant that the steam was visible for miles and the bells kept on ringing and ringing.

Last edited:
I came across a video of Queen Ingrid's funeral on Youtube and as the coffin is being carried out of the church Prince Henrick turns and says something to Prince Frederick while touching him on the shoulder. Queen Margarethe then turns to Prince Henrick and there appears to be angry words spoken between them. Did anyone else notice this?

Thanks, Polyesco.

I remember it clearly. Not least the details.

That twigs of fir had been scattered on the streets close to the cathedral, to lessen the sound of the horses hoves and the wheels of the carriage.

Indeed… It was a very solemn and beautiful day… In a way it felt like a joint Danish/Swedish Royal Funeral given Queen Ingrid’s uniquely position in belonging to currently reigning dynasties both by birth and by marriage… Something we may never see again on that level

The sound/look/view/feeling/atmosphere that a steam locomotive gives can never be matched by diesel locomotives or the more modern trains….. I hope the Danish RF will continue to arrange the funerals of their King’s and Queen’s that way for as long as it’s technically possible to do so (but i ofcourse really hope that the next occasion is still several years away)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom