Frederik IX

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is this the one you mean? Here they're meeting at the Stockholm train station: :wub:

Attachments

• frederik ingrid at the train station.jpg
    frederik ingrid at the train station.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 1,076
Concerning King Frederik's engagement to Princess Olga, I also remember reading in a book that she hated his sailor-manners and the fact that he has very straight-forward as a character. He was not the "usual" type of aristocrat at that time, you know arrogant with absolutely elegant manners in every little thing.

From what I read in books, blogs, forums etc., I get the feeling that he was very passionate for things he loved, very honest and down-to-earth. I believe that is why their marriage with Queen Ingrid worked so well. They loved each other so much and were compatible characters. She was known to be a feminist and she did amazing in her role as a crown princess and later as a queen. I read that during WW2 she used to take Margrethe in her cot and walk around the centre of Copenhagen like if nothing was happening. Her grandfather, the King of Sweden, sent her a letter putting emphasis on the fact that she had to be more careful as to the security of the dynasty, because of the danger for her and the heir, and she completely ignored him, having the complete support of King Frederik.

I don't think he ever felt that he needed to have a son, because that was what it was expected at that time. He adored his wife and their daughters and I am sure that he knew Queen Margrethe could do greater in her role than any other male heir.

What a couple they were!!!!!

Maura724 said:
Is this the one you mean? Here they're meeting at the Stockholm train station: :wub:

Well, it is known that the late King was a very passionate man!! ;)

Translation of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #41, 2011.
Where a Anne Marie Pedersen asks:
Is it true that Frederik IX blamed Queen Ingrid for not delivering him a male heir?

Jon Bloch Skipper replies:
Queen Margrethe's father hoped, like all kings before him, that he would have a son.
Instead he got three daughters whom he loved above everything on earth. If there was anyone who was annoyed it was Queen Ingrid herself.
She was a woman who was very conscious of traditions she would have liked to have given her husband a son.
After the birth of Anne-Marie in 1946, the docters made it clear to her, that she was not able to handle yet a another pregnancy.
Until the change in the Law of Succession in 1953, it was Frederik IX's younger borther, Prince Knud, who was the heir to the throne in Denmark. With the change however, Princess Margrethe became heir to the throne, while Knud got the title of Arveprins = something like Prince Successor or Prince Heir.

- Why don't you write to Jon Bloch Skipper with a question? He is after all a certified historian and expert in the DRF.
And it has happened before that foreigners have had their question published.
Write in English to this address: jon@billed-bladet.dk and remember to include a name and an approximate address, like: John Smith, Virginia.
State that you do not wish a personal reply, nor a reply published in English because if your question is published, it will be translated for you.
- The worst thing that can possibly happen is that your question will not published.

Last edited:
She (...queen Ingrid) was known to be a feminist and she did amazing in her role as a crown princess and later as a queen. I read that during WW2 she used to take Margrethe in her cot and walk around the centre of Copenhagen like if nothing was happening.

Angelica, Queen Ingrid was not a feminist in the 'womens right' sort-of-way - if that's what you're getting at :) .
She was a 'modern woman' enjoying the relative freedom of women of her generation, like playing tennis, skiing, learning practical housewifey related stuff, with due respect to her status. If you compare her to say Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother of the UK, CP Ingrid had a more modern 'edge' to her IMO, but she was always aware of her station however not in an unpleasant way. As for taking princess Margrethe for walks in the pram: Well, I'm mostly inclined to think that a public display of loyalty during the German occupation. She has a nose for that, and she would normally leave most of the child care to nannies and nurses.

I don't think he ever felt that he needed to have a son, because that was what it was expected at that time. He adored his wife and their daughters and I am sure that he knew Queen Margrethe could do greater in her role than any other male heir.

Not surprisingly, every biography of Queen Ingrid mentions that she was under no pressure to produce a male heir. I don't believe it quite frankly, because as a crown princess in a kingdom with male succession she would have been expected to do so. However her pregnacies were never easy and maybe the RF adjusted the expectations as the two younger girls arrived! So you could be right, Angelica! And maybe they already suspected at the time that there was a growing public sentiment for a change of the succession law.

viv

Was he really an alcoholic? Or was it just a bad rumor of him?

Was he really an alcoholic? Or was it just a bad rumor of him?

Yes, he was and it's mentioned in every DRF biography after his death! Apparently his drink problem esclated during the 1940s and the Queen put her foot down towards the end of the decade. He went teetotal in 1949 or thereabouts!

viv

^^^^
Is that perhaps the reason Princess Olga broke off their engagement?

Wow, I never knew that Frederik IX was an alcoholic. Guess that came with life as a sailor.

There is a whole thread about it here.

That about covers it, IMO:), however on a forum like this a lively exchange is always better than going through an old, dusty thread!

viv

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #52, 2013.

Where a B.I. Bering would like to know whether Frederik IX really was a talented conductor.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that he was. In fact he was very good!
He received lessons from early on by the musical director of the Royal Theatre, Georg Høberg, who said about his pupil: “If the King hadn’t been born for his high office, he would have become one of the best conductors in Denmark. Of that I’ve never had a moments doubt”.
Frederik IX mostly conducted private concert but also went public a couple of times. QMII said about her father conducting: “When he stood on his rostrum and it went well, we in the family always said: You can tell from dad’s back that he’s happy”.
[FONT=&quot]Frederik IX was indeed very fond of music. No less than 92 protections were related to music.[/FONT]

After completing his basic education, Frederik entered the Royal Danish Naval Academy.
By the time he became the King of Denmark, he had several senior commands on active service.
Frederik had attained the rank of Rear Admiral.

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #20, 2016.

Where Jonna Carlsen would like to know whether it is true that Frederik IX was actively helped to die. (*)

Jon Bloch Skipper responds that this may originate in an article written by in a DK very well known GP, who answered questions from readers and wrote about illnesses in a way ordinary people could understand.
With typical morbid humor the staff at Rigshospitalet where Frederik IX was committed towards the end called his room Finderup Barn (**)
The doctor, Erik Münster wrote some twenty years ago:
But that is not to be seen as an indication that Frederik IX didn't receive the right treatment. But that they allowed the King to find peace, since the treatment wouldn't be able to keep him alive much longer. - It was in full accordance with the ethical rules of the time.
- Frederik IX's health was poor. Too much tobacco (and alcohol) had weakened his heart, he had smoker's lungs, chronical inflammation in his windpipe and at the end also a blod-cloth.

(*) Don't know the expression in the various languages but here in DK it's called actively assisted help to die. I.e. being given an overdose or something similar.

(**) The place of the undoubtedly most well-known assassination of a Danish king, back in 1286 - and there have been quite a few!
The story is still endlessly fascinating because it is to this day still not clear who was behind the assassination. And how the assassination was planned and carried out is literally worth a thriller!
I've often wondered about writing about it here on TRF, but I doubt if would interest more than three readers.

Last edited:
Sometimes things are posted on these forums, i can't imagine would even interest 1 person, but there always are interested ;)

I for one enjoy stories like these ;)

(**) The place of the undoubtedly most well-known assassination of a Danish king, back in 1286 - and there have been quite a few!
The story is still endlessly fascinating because it is to this day still not clear who was behind the assassination. And how the assassination was planned and carried out is literally worth a thriller!
I've often wondered about writing about it here on TRF, but I doubt if would interest more than three readers.
One of our famous composers, Peter Heise, wrote an opera about it: The King and the (Lord) Marshal. Or in Danish: Drot og Marsk.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drot_og_marsk

(*) Don't know the expression in the various languages but here in DK it's called actively assisted help to die. I.e. being given an overdose or something similar.
It is called euthanasia in English. It is derived from a Greek expression meaning "good death".

Thanks, Blog Real.

A series worth watching.

And some of you may flip through the footage here in there and see why (or indeed if) M&F are so often compared to Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid.

I'm actually watching an episode of the portrait series of Frederik IX and QMII has just told a wonderful anecdote from the late 40's.

An early morning when Frederik IX (then CP, and acting very much as a full-time Regent due to Christian X being in poor health) couldn't sleep he opened the bedroom window and looked down in the garden, where two guardsmen were sitting on the edge of the sandbox. (At the time there were also sentries in the gardens at Amalienborg). There came an "ahem" from Frederik IX and two red-faced guardsmen jumped to attention!
He asked for their names and numbers and the two guardsmen were more or less melting. Because negligence of guard-duty could mean prison.

Later that day they were called by their duty officer to appear before Frederik IX at his office... - It must have been a long walk for the two of them...
At the office Frederik IX told them that since they were so fond of that sandbox they could go down in the garden and play with Princess Margrethe for half an hour. And added: "And then we'll talk no more of this. but You are not doing it again"!

- A typical navy-solution. :lol:
King Christian X, who was very much an army man, would have ripped their heads off!

King Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid in London (1951)

Proclamation:

King Frederik IX invested as Knight of the Garter.

Thank, Blog Real. ?

As you probably know the Prime Minister proclaims the new monarch by shouting three times (in this case) "King Christian X is dead. Long his majesty King Frederik IX."

He did so in a thick rural accent, which many at the time found inappropriate. There was a good deal of snobbery around.
but even worse, at one point the PM, Knud Kristensen, got the things mixed up.
That caused some stir! :lol:

You can see it in this clip, from 03:10:
https://filmcentralen.dk/museum/danmark-paa-film/film/kongen-er-dod-kongen-leve

Back
Top Bottom