Frederik IV and wives

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
Name: Frederik IV

Birth: October 11, 1671

Child of: Christian V and Charlotte Amalie

Reign: 1699-1730

Marriage: m. 1. Louise of Mecklenburg in 1695 2. Elisabeth Helene von Vieregg to the left hand in 1703 3. Anna Sophie Reventlow to the left hand in 1712 and to the right in 1721 after Louise's death.

Children:
1st marriage: Prince Christian, Christian 6., Prince Frederik Karl, Prince Georg, Princess Charlotte
2nd marriage: Frederik Gyldenløve
3rd marriage: Frederica Sophia Reventlow, Frederica Conradine Reventlow, Christiana Amalia of Denmark, Frederik Christian of Denmark, Carl of Danmark

also a daughter outside of his marriages with Charlotte Helene von Schindel

Death: 12. oktober 1730

Throne passed to: Christian VI

Notes:
Abolished serfdom in Denmark

Introduction of the Gregorian calendar to Denmark came during his reign.

Frederiksberg Palace and Fredensborg Palace were both constructed at his orders.

Abducted Anna Sophie Reventlow and married her.

Despite his many children, few of them lived to adulthood.

Last edited:
Name: Louise of Mecklenburg-Güstrow

Birth: 28 August 1667

Child of: Gustav Adolf of Mecklenburg-Güstrow and Magdalene Sibylle of Holstein-Gottorp

Marriage: 5 December 1695

Children: Prince Christian, Christian 6., Prince Frederik Karl, Prince Georg, Princess Charlotte

Death: 5 March 1721)

Name: Elisabeth Helene von Vieregg

Birth: 1679

Child of: Adam Otto von Vieregg to Weitendorff and Wartmannshagen and Anna Helene von Wulffersdorff

Marriage: 1703 - to the left hand,

Children: Frederik Gyldenløve (b. 1704, d. 1705)

Death: 1704 (Childbirth)

Name: Anna Sophie Reventlow

Birth: 16. April 1693

Child of: Conrad Reventlow & Sophie Amalie von Hahn (source: Slægten Reventlow)

Marriage: 1712 - to the left hand, 1721 to the right, after which she was titled Queen.

Children: Frederica Sophia Reventlow, Frederica Conradine Reventlow, Christiana Amalia of Denmark, Frederik Christian of Denmark, Carl of Danmark

Death: January 7, 1743

After her husband's death, she was expelled from Copenhagen by her stepson, the new king Christian VI.

Anne Sophie
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...iereventlow.jpg/180px-Annasophiereventlow.jpg
Rosenborg - Anna Sophie (1693-1743)

Louise
Rosenborg - Louise (1667-1721)
http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/womeninpower/fotos/Louise-Danmark.JPG
1708-09 Regent Queen Louise von Mecklenburg-Güstow of Denmark-NorwayShe was regent during her husband, Frederik 4's journey to Italy. She had been married the later king since 1695. Her husband was first married to the "left hand" with Elisabeth Helene von Vieregg and after her death to Comtesse Anna Sophie Reventlow. The Queen became more and more engaged in her pietistic faith. She was mother of two surviving children and three other children who all died as infants, and lived (1667-1721).

and something about Fred IV Frederik IV & Christian VI on Danish

Last edited:
I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge...but is there any special meaning of "married to the left hand" or is it just a reference to the wedding hand/finger?

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge...but is there any special meaning of "married to the left hand" or is it just a reference to the wedding hand/finger?

I certainly wasn't aware that one could marry morganatically while still be married officially. Is this a mistake? How could this be done? That's bigamy, isn't it?

I certainly wasn't aware that one could marry morganatically while still be married officially. Is this a mistake? How could this be done? That's bigamy, isn't it?

It's not a mistake.

Bigamy was illegal in Denmark at the time, certainly, but the "nice" :ermm: thing about absolute monarchies is that the King is above the law.

So He was a Bigamist I Assume He had Many Romantic Pre Marital Relations Hope this isnt to improper Im Interested because of my interest in History

Well, as he was 16 when he got married for the first time I suppose the number of relations he had before his marriage was rather limited.

Well, as he was 16 when he got married for the first time I suppose the number of relations he had before his marriage was rather limited.

He was around twenty-four at the time of his first marriage, if my math-skills haven't totally failed me. :ermm:

Ah, so much for Dutch education these days ;), you are right Norwegianne... So time enough for all kinds of pre-marital affairs...he seems to be the hot headed type, abducting his (future) 3rd wife et all. Why was she later expelled by her stepson btw?

Ah, so much for Dutch education these days ;), you are right Norwegianne... So time enough for all kinds of pre-marital affairs...he seems to be the hot headed type, abducting his (future) 3rd wife et all. Why was she later expelled by her stepson btw?

What I read was that she came from a family of political influence (her father was the Royal Chancellor) and her family used her marriage to the king to further their own interest. So when her stepson became king he tried to get rid of her family, the queen included. Even though sources claim she herself was not interested in politics at all. But then as she was born a mere noblewoman she had no influential foreign relatives to help her stay established at court. She was send to her family home and that was that.

It is pretty interesting to see how Royal in-laws reacted to a princess once her husband has died. If she was an heiress or mother of her husband's heir, she was immediately remarried to another member of the family before her family could get her back. But once the dowry was not really interesting or her family did not want her back, she could end up in a strange position of not being "there" anymore, as it happened to the Dowager Crown Princess of Austria-Hungary, Stephanie of Belgium, whose father did not want her back and whose dowry was already secured for her little archduchess-daughter. She simply had no position of her own at court and faded into the background till she married again ( amere nobleman) and left court. Ot her aunt Charlotte of Belgium, who had inherited a nice sum plus her dowry on marrying Maximilian of habsburg - when she went crazy after her husband's failed dream of an empire of Mexico and his execution, the Habsburgs kept her in order to keep her money while the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha of Belgium wanted her back for the same reason...

It's not a mistake.

Bigamy was illegal in Denmark at the time, certainly, but the "nice" :ermm: thing about absolute monarchies is that the King is above the law.

Yes and the only one who could judge him was God. Anne Sofie also thought that God was punishing them because all their children died as infants.

In Emperors, Kings & Queens, Sonya Newland wrote:

Frederick IV selected his councilors carefully and gave the impression of being accessible to the common people.

Back
Top Bottom