Christian VII, Caroline Mathilde of Wales & Struensee

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norwegianne

Majesty
City
Rogaland
Country
Norway
Name: Christian VII

Birth: 1749

Child of:Frederik V & Louise of England

Reign: 1766-1808

Marriage: 1766 to Caroline Mathilde of Wales, marriage dissolved 1772

Children: Frederik 6, and officially as well, Louise Augusta.

Death: 1808

Throne passed to: Frederik VI

Notes:

Suffered from chronical schitzophrenia. Or as it was termed in his day and age - madness/insanity.

Last edited:
Name: Caroline Mathilde of Wales

Original name: Carolina Matilda

Birth: 1751

Child of:Frederik Ludvig of Wales and Augusta of Sachsen-Gotha

Marriage: 1766 to Christian of Denmark. Dissolved in 1772 - her infidelity.

Children: Frederik 6 & Louise Augusta

Death: 1775

Notes:
Sister of George 3-

After the marriage was dissolved, she was banished to Celle in Hannover (where George 3 reigned)

Last edited:
Name: Johann Friederich Struensee

Death: Publicly executed in 1772.

Notes:

Court doctor.

Affair with the queen, which resulted in a daughter - Princess Louise Augusta that was publicly acknowledged as the King's. This, put together with the fact that he had come to virtually rule Denmark, through the sick king, and unsurped power, led to his execution.

Last edited:
A very colourful King for sure.

Crazy as hell. :wacko:

315xp6.jpg

King Christian VII.

316kx7.jpg

Queen Caroline Mathilde.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5568/316kx7.jpg

I hope that movie will be shown over here in Sweden.

The actress whom is gonna portray Caroline mathilde is swedish! :)

Hmmm... I've never heard of Alicia Vikander. I will still watch the movie though.

As I've understood Caroline-Matilde's kids remained good friends for all their life,her daughter was recognised as legitimate though her father was not the king

Oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to see that movie so badly!

The keen movie goer and history buff will by now be familiar with Struensee and how he eventually...ahem, lost his head.

From the State Archives:

Here is first Queen Caroline Mathilde's confession of her having an affair with Struensee: Caroline Mathildes underskriver sin tilståelse, 1772 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Then the divorce papers signed by I don't know how many nobles with seal and all: Caroline Mathildes skilsmissedom, 1772 -2. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Caroline Mathildes skilsmissedom, 1772 -1. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Caroline Mathilde's signature: Caroline Mathildes underskrift, 1772 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

- Goodbye, don't let the door hit you on the way out...

But Struensee as you know, got a rough time as well. Here is first his crest: Struensees våbenskjold, grevepatent 1771. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
And later on the annullment of him being made a count: Annullering af Struensees grevepatent, 1772. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

It is written in Latin, if you are interested in reading the document.

But most if his reforms were ratified after his death and here are some of them: Struensees reformer - forordninger og kabinetsordrer - a set on Flickr

One can't help feeling feel sorry for Caroline Mathilde, Christian VII wasn't exactly an ideal husband. Here are some drawings made by him and they are... well, yes: Christian 7.'s tegninger og portrætter - a set on Flickr

I swa the film yesterday! Marvellous (actors especially)!

I hope I will see it too, some day when I get an opportunity.

After Christian VII and Caroline Mathilde were divorced, the Danish authorities deported their former Queen to Hanover. Due to her behavior, King George III preferred not to have her back in England.

The Danish didn't deport her. George III certainly didn't turn his back on his sister. He in fact sent an ambassador to Denmark to see his sister freed from prison, likely sparing her life. The ambassador helped negotiate her release which included her settlement at her brother's castle in celle. She and her brother would remain in correspondence.

Such a wonderful film with such marvellous actors !!!! I loved it !

After Christian VII and Caroline Mathilde were divorced, the Danish authorities deported their former Queen to Hanover. Due to her behavior, King George III preferred not to have her back in England.

It was not due to her behaviour but due to the people who remained loyal to her that George did not want her back in London. He feared that her court (like her court in Celle did) would become the home of Danish reformers turned revolutionaries. Sending her to Celle was a kind act of the king for his little sister, for Celle and the dukedom of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel was governed by a good friends from her childhood who were family to her: dukes Ernst and Karl of Mecklenburg-Strehlitz were the brothers of George's queen Sophie Charlotte and thus Caroline Mathilde's In-laws. She was very much loved by her family there and by the people of Celle because she believed in Struensee's ideas of enlightenment and opened up her court to the people. Her brother had forced the Danish to give back her dowry and let her have it, so she had enough money to spend on her palace in Celle, her gardens and her people.

it is known that her son Frederick (who for his whole life was very close to his half-sister Louise Auguste from the love affair with Dr. Struensee) planned to get her back to Denmark as soon as he took over the reign for his father. But he was still a child when his mother died from a disease she had gotten on carin g for a little girl she had taken on because she missed her own children so much.

So the real tragic was that she lost Struensee and then died herself so young that neither he nor she could see the changes they had brought to Denmark taking hold under her son as king.

Back
Top Bottom