Princess Raiyah: News and Pictures Part 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Raiyah attended the 73rd British Academy Film Awards, Fellowship Lunch at The Savoy in London today, February 1:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** rex gallery **

Princess Raiyah about her role in Star Wars moovie:

"When I was seven, I prayed every night for a year to be allowed to become a Jedi (or, at the very least, have a lightsaber).

Discovering I have my own wookiepedia page is a pretty delightful third option"

https://t.co/jCN0M6Or5C?amp=1

:previous: I never realized she was in a Star Wars movie. :flowers:

I knew part of the last movie (and Rogue One) was shot in Jordan but had no idea that one of the royals was an extra.

She may not have been a jedi, but she has a leg up on William and Harry whose cameo as storm troopers got cut.

A video of her at the film set talking about it

Last edited:
They're lovely. Beautiful one on the swing with her mother.

I'm sure that was part of the consideration if they knew he may not live until a big party was possible. There was probably also a bit of "just want to get married already" like so many others.

Ned writes on his website that he is trying and mostly failing to learn Arabic.

But Rayiah is bilingual, isn't she?

Very much so. However it seems he has a big interest in the Middle East and probably wants to show willing/respect to her family and country, even though she's not a "working royal" as it were. Especially as he converted to marry her.

My guess is she is at least trilingual: Arabic and English from childhood (her mother after all is American) and Japanese (her university studies).

So, it isn't about being able to communicate with each other but about Ned doing the effort to learn the language of his new (royal) family.

Ned's description of his new name on his own website "I also have an Arabic name"

My name is Ned Donovan. Until recently, I was a journalist and a freelance foreign correspondent covering news in the UK and abroad for seven years.

For the first half of 2020 I lived in Amman, the capital of Jordan, where I completed an intensive Modern Standard Arabic course which taught me two things: that my Arabic is not very good, and that I will keep trying to improve it. I also have an Arabic name: Faris. I now divide my time between London and Amman.

(...) I also have a great academic interest in history, as well as the very niche areas of phaleristics and heraldry.
Source

Until recently, I was a journalist and a freelance foreign correspondent covering news in the UK and abroad for seven years.

Did he give up his career because of marrying into the Royal Family?

Based on his LinkedIn-profile he previously worked for specific media houses as a correspondent covering the news while he has been a self-employed 'writer' since April 2018. He no longer covers the news but writes general interest pieces instead.

Also interesting: he is a citizen of the UK, USA and Australia.

N.B. Shouldn't the name of this thread be changed to include Raiyah's husband?

Given his wording of "until recently" I assume he gave up most of his freelance work for UK newspapers. He still writes "Terra Nullius" occasionally which I have found very interesting (did you know Czechoslovakia still theoretically exists at its old UK embassy?) but I suppose it's the kind of career that might be tricky if you're the brother in law of a King. It's been two years since he wrote anything for a big publication.

He says he recently became a trustee of the Anglo-Jordanian Society.

And what would be the reason that she is admitted to this order? That she is made a dame will without a doubt because of her status as royal highness (as all others are admitted in a lower rank).

I'm just posting the news. I don't know what her achievements are, I only know she's a smart cookie.

I bet there's hundreds of scholars with worldwide prestige and decades of achievements behind them, that never get a Damehood/Knightship. C'est la vie.

Back
Top Bottom