PA2 & The Environment: Flash or Substance?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting that interview. Speaking as someone who is rather reluctant/skeptical about the recent "green" popular trend, the sort of fashionable environmentalism alot of people are cashing in on, Albert II speaks with the most authority for me because he has followed the principle of "go thyself" with his expeditions, studying the matter and seen it for himself as well as putting his money where his mouth is rather than advocating "green" industries that he would profit from. He seems very sincere in his concern and I really like his attitude of following in the footsteps of the first Prince Albert of Monaco who was quite an individual himself.
:monacostandard: :monacoflag:

Glistening Seas

:twohearts: Say, those smart cars are really cute! Lets hope they work as good as they look. Monaco weather is ideal for these smart cars, do you suppose! Does anyone know how many miles to the gallon in one of these cars.:heartflower:

Yes they are cute. Some day I'm sure they'll grow up to be big and strong.

I believe they are electric. I've never seen a bucket of electricity, so the gas mileage is likely to be quite high.

:whistling:

The United Nations have declared 2010 as the International Year of Biodiversity.
Its objective is to mobilise everyone on behalf of all the forms of life and their richness and fragility.

Monaco has already thrown itself into action - the Principality, the Princely Government, the Foundation Prince Albert II, the Oceanographic Institute and the Albert 1er Foundation.

One of the projects is the creation of new artificial reefs in the coastal waters of Monaco. This and other projects will be brought forward via an "Ordonnance Souveraine", a special decree.

2010 : Monaco s'engage pour la biodiversité | Portail info Monaco

Another "scoop" for PA on the topic of the red tuna (thon rouge) !!

All Monegasque restaurants had already banned the red tuna from their menus and kitchens.

Now Monaco's powerful next door neighbour, the French Republic, has rallied to Monaco's cause. The French Minister of Ecology, Jean-Louis Borloo, announced yesterday that France may, over a period of 18 months, phase out the consumption of red tuna.

The next CITES meeting at Doha (Qatar) will take place between March 13th - 25th, when there will be an international vote on the subject.

For the record, Monaco has been a member of CITES since 1978, long before ecology became "fashionable".

May 22nd is the International Day for Biological Diversity.

CITES CoP15

Monaco.maville.com Tous les restos jouent la carte écolo

Glisteing Seas

:shamrock: Love the variety they have in that site and the cars as well. It seems they have added some things to the site! Quite a lot of good things going on there :easterbunny:

Glistening Seas, I'm not sure what you mean by "adding new things to the site".
The link I supplied is the normal Monaco Telecom site with news which is updated everyday. It's always in the same format, as far as I can see.
Can you clarify?

:lol: oh well, this doesn't look like the Monaco site we usually visit we usually visit the formal site this is the first time we have seen the telecome site tee hee! while we sit underneath the mountain of blankets till the:frazzled: cold is over this site really was cheery!!:D

:verysad:o-m-g what a mess. Poor Monaco's marine life and the tourism??:verysad:
Hopefully they will be forced to clean every drop of the spill up??? Where were the vessels going and whom do they belong to???:verysad:

The refurbishment of the Musée Océanographique is completed, just in time for its 100th birthday and its reopening on April 2nd - only a few days to go.

The building houses more than 4000 species of fish.

To celebrate, the Museum has secured a new exhibition by Damien Hirst which will bring in art lovers and buyers from all over the world.

At the reopening , there will be a Colloquium, chaired by Prince Albert, on the Monaco Blue Initiative with about thirty experts on marine life.

Finally, the building itself will be the main attraction.
The Mayor of Monaco has decided to give all Monegasques free entry on the first day.

Monaco.maville.com Le programme des festivités

The refurbishment of the Musée Océanographique is completed, just in time for its 100th birthday and its reopening on April 2nd - only a few days to go.

The building houses more than 4000 species of fish.

To celebrate, the Museum has secured a new exhibition by Damien Hirst which will bring in art lovers and buyers from all over the world.

At the reopening , there will be a Colloquium, chaired by Prince Albert, on the Monaco Blue Initiative with about thirty experts on marine life.

Finally, the building itself will be the main attraction.
The Mayor of Monaco has decided to give all Monegasques free entry on the first day.

Monaco.maville.com Le programme des festivités

Thanks for posting this? Is he bringing the shark? Damian not Albert?:D
I love the building too, thanks for contributing to this thread more people are interested than you might think, it's just not something that requires a lot of comment, which shouldn't be confused for interest--they're two very different things.:flowers:

Thanks, Sandsla - I quite enjoy finding things for this thread.

PA of course makes it easy, with all that relentless activity!

I'm not really keen on Damien's work, but I have to admit he's very high profile and will profit the Museum and Monaco with his exhibits.

The Monaco Blue event at the Museum took place on March 31st and April 1st.

On the Biomarine website, PA is supposed to create and direct a "club of reflection and action for the protection of the oceans".
http://www.biomarine.org/index.php/venues/monaco-blue-initiative/what-is-the-monaco-blue-initiative-

The Chairman of BioMarine, Pierre Erwes, was appointed to co-organise Monaco Blue Initiative with PA2 Foundation and with the Oceanographic Museum.

The newly-formed body has already issued their first announcement in the form of a pdf document, ready for download:

http://www.biomarine.org/images/stories/monaco_seo_meeting/mbi.pdf

I love the building too, thanks for contributing to this thread more people are interested than you might think, it's just not something that requires a lot of comment, which shouldn't be confused for interest--they're two very different things.:flowers:

I agree with this statement. It is an interesting thread about Green Prince Albert because of Renata's posts. :flowers:

That's very kind, thank you :))

Here's something I found today:
A website telling us how well Monaco is doing environmentally speaking.....

Did you know that Monaco has a sea-farming area which annually produces 800 tons of fish grown in clean water....

Environment - Monaco - area, farming, system

June 8th was ''World Oceans Day" when all five continents celebrated our marine environment.

In addition, it's the International Year of Biodiversity. Monaco did its bit by putting on an event named "Méditerranée et Biodiversité", focussing on the Musée Océanographique. The event was supported by the Government of Monaco.

Monaco Telecom reports about the Monaco Pavilion at the Shanghai exhibition, and about two young people - Xavier and Géraldine from Monaco - who are travelling from Shanghai to Paris in an electric car, a Citroen Berlingo.

It's a 14000 kilometre journey! On July 1st they had reached the Ukraine.

They've already broken a record: the first journey in Asia in a "normal" electric car.

http://www.monaco.mc/Pages/Accueil/..._aventuriers_electriques_atteignent_l_ukraine__

I believe that PA truly has strong feelings about the environment. He is comitted to this cause.

I think you're right (although some might not share that feeling).

Visiting both the North and South poles would seem a fairly sure sign that someone is very involved and committed to that cause....

There are foundations galore, and in some cases set up for non-charitable reasons, but in PA's case, I think his track record speaks for itself.

While PA is busy organising his wedding, the Organisation for Tsunami Alert Centres (UNESCO) is busy checking out the Cote d'Azur for signs of tsunami activity.

Anne Deschamps is an seismological engineer who is travelling along the Cote and installing an "ultrarapid system" which should give people in the region more time to flee from a tsunami.

The greatest tsunami so far registered six on the Richter scale....

Alerte aux tsunamis: la surveillance se met en place | Nice-Matin

On top of that, the Japan tsunami / earthquakes is having an impact on the type of Japanese car PA is fond of....

At the Toyota factories in Japan, each car will have to be checked for radioactivity, and at Renault (France) each spare part or component will have to undergo similar checks.

La radioactivité de toutes les Toyota exportées sera mesurée | Nice-Matin

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps someone can help me out?

I'm beginning to feel serious unease about the LEXUS LS 600 hLcar PA has chosen as the wedding car - the most powerful hybrid "berline" in the world.

http://www.nicematin.com/article/automoto/une-voiture-unique-pour-le-couple-princier

PA has awarded a princely warrant to Lexus as Official Supplier.

Lexus chosen as official supplier to Royal Wedding of HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco and Miss Charlene Wittstock « Welcome to the Official Lexus UK blog

It has a V8 thermic engine, and 445 HP.

The car is being converted at a secret location.

The conversion will take two thousand hours.

Is this just PA treating himself to another toy, or would the Lexus really make a positive difference to the environment?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom