Charlene Wittstock's Education & Swimming Career

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At least we know she was truely dedicated to her swimming, her dedication is impressive.

Dedication is the key word here:

PA persevered Olympics after Olympics, even though his team's chances were slim.

CW persevered and gained some titles, but had to stop competing in the end.

Something else that they have in common.

Charlene is a high school dropout, by her own words in Paris Match interview in 2006, she stopped going to school when 17. She told in that interview that grades were never important for her but she was concentrated on her swimming career.

And in that sense, she is no different from many elite athletes. A lot of swimmers, gymnast, and ice skaters (to name just a few sports) place more of an emphasis on their sports career (especially since they have a small window) rather than their education. I believe a lot of them believe that receiving an education is something they can go back to, whereas the shelf life of a swimmer, gymnast and/or ice skater is very slim. For every Katrina Witt, Michelle Kwan, Dominque Dawes, Michael Phelps (Olympians whose careers spanned two Olympics) there are more athletes who had one Olympics to acheive their goals.

Yes, I remember the remark by CW that 2008 would be / would have been her last Olympics. Her swimming seemed to have spanned two and a half Olympics - Am I right??

It must have been hard for her to recognise that she was no longer able to be a competitor, either in her home country or in the Olympics.......whereas PA probably took it for granted that Little Monaco was never likely to walk away with a medal.

Yes, I remember the remark by CW that 2008 would be / would have been her last Olympics. Her swimming seemed to have spanned two and a half Olympics - Am I right??

It must have been hard for her to recognise that she was no longer able to be a competitor, either in her home country or in the Olympics.......whereas PA probably took it for granted that Little Monaco was never likely to walk away with a medal.
According to Rocco Meiring she missed the 2004 Olympic A qualifying time with a few split seconds for 100m Backstroke, at the South African trials. That would mean she was only qualified for and was at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 she never qualified after that.

I did do a little checking last night and wasn't able to find her on alumni list nor did I locate her brothers. I do know at 17 she left home to swim in Durban for the Seagulls. I haven't located an article that has her quoted as dropping out of school. Her first interview that had such information has been removed from the Internet as a few others I have looked for.

Well it is everybody's business since CW is a public and now famous figure. But since they have been silent maybe we should use our discretion too. I hope Charlene works with older citizens as the world now has the first of the baby boomers coming into their pensions.

What's Camilla's educational background and work record? What is Marie-Chantal's educational background and work record? I, really don't care, but they are, also, public figures and in the long run, no one cares. Grace didn't have a college degree, either. She was an actress. To some not a reputable occupation. Some questioned at the time she married Ranier, but that was their business.

In the US, you go to high school until age 18 and then graduate (ideally), find a job or go to university. Isn't it different in Europe and maybe S. Africa? I got the idea that only the top students continued on to age 18. The rest started apprenticing at various jobs at around age 16. Can a European explain how your system works? Does anyone know how the S. African school system works? This might explain some of the confusion on Charlene's education.

In the US, you go to high school until age 18 and then graduate (ideally), find a job or go to university. Isn't it different in Europe and maybe S. Africa? I got the idea that only the top students continued on to age 18. The rest started apprenticing at various jobs at around age 16. Can a European explain how your system works? Does anyone know how the S. African school system works? This might explain some of the confusion on Charlene's education.

It's pretty much the same all over, except that some kids take a gap year between high school and college. Chelsey Davey is from SA. She got her university degree in SA Capetown I think. In the US we have grades, in other countries they have levels. It's similar in nature all over. It is well documented that Charlene did not go to college. It's debated as to whether or not she got her high school diploma or just dropped out to swim. It would be helpful if the palace would clarify that she graduated from high school. May be some one here on the forum could find out from her high school whether or not she has her diploma.

Education in South Africa.
Three bands of education
South Africa's National Qualifications Framework (NQF) recognises three broad bands of education: General Education and Training, Further Education and Training, and Higher Education and Training.
School life spans 13 years or grades, from grade 0, otherwise known as grade R or "reception year", through to grade 12 or "matric" - the year of matriculation. General Education and Training runs from grade 0 to grade 9. Under the South African Schools Act of 1996, education is compulsory for all South Africans from age 7 (grade 1) to age 15, or the completion of grade 9. General Education and Training also includes Adult Basic Education and Training.

If she left school as 17 I put it 1995 a year before the School Act when into effect.

What's Camilla's educational background and work record? What is Marie-Chantal's educational background and work record? I, really don't care, but they are, also, public figures and in the long run, no one cares. Grace didn't have a college degree, either. She was an actress. To some not a reputable occupation. Some questioned at the time she married Ranier, but that was their business.

We are not only talking about educational background.

Not a reputable occupation? probably 40 years ago, I don´t think we have those prejudices in the 21 century. Grace made several movies and was a respectable actress when she reached 26. I am not comparing, those who criticize comparison are the ones who bring it to the board.

This woman CW is 32, and has done nothing at all in her life, but vegetate around a prince for the last 4 years, and I would say much more. THAT, and nothing else, is so disturbing about her. I am absolutely sure she has knows she will be the princess of Monaco for long. And the only thing she has done was improving her image and quitting the only thing she does barely good, swimming.

I am waiting for her speeches in French, appearing at some charities, hand in an award, and not much more, because I would never call a job what is waiting for her. She will have to work hard to not be a decorative accessory, like many princesses are.

Oh, and we are forgetting that she´s marrying a man who doubles her age, and for me, that is not a detail. Only rich, famous men marry young women.
I hope I put it in an elegant way.

Prince Albert is 52, Charlene is 32.

We are not only talking about educational background.

Not a reputable occupation? probably 40 years ago, I don´t think we have those prejudices in the 21 century. Grace made several movies and was a respectable actress when she reached 26. I am not comparing, those who criticize comparison are the ones who bring it to the board.

This woman CW is 32, and has done nothing at all in her life, but vegetate around a prince for the last 4 years, and I would say much more. THAT, and nothing else, is so disturbing about her. I am absolutely sure she has knows she will be the princess of Monaco for long. And the only thing she has done was improving her image and quitting the only thing she does barely good, swimming.

I am waiting for her speeches in French, appearing at some charities, hand in an award, and not much more, because I would never call a job what is waiting for her. She will have to work hard to not be a decorative accessory, like many princesses are.

Oh, and we are forgetting that she´s marrying a man who doubles her age, and for me, that is not a detail. Only rich, famous men marry young women.
I hope I put it in an elegant way.

I would like to further this comment with regard to once again comparing her to Grace this time in terms of education. You can't because times have indeed changed. It is hard for a younger generation to understand that women in the 1950's still had relatively narrow options. Their career choices were limited to teaching, secretarial, sales clerk, and so forth. A fair number of women went to college and then got married right away.in fact once married, if a woman had a job she was expected to quit because it would make her husband look like he couldn't support her. Honest that was the mindset back then. It was the next generation who said enough of this and pushed for equal rights. It was my generation who pushed the glass ceiling, and that is why I have a hard time with Charlene. I view her as a huge step backwards for women in general. You need to view Grace in the context of her era. She was actually very independent, and she supported herself with her career quite well. The acting school she attended was one of the top in the US and very difficult to be accepted into. To put it into context in today's world, Grace was a drama major, and her "college" the The Academy of Dramatic Arts" in NYC. She chose a tough career and made it. You just can't compare Charlene to Grace.

And in that sense, she is no different from many elite athletes. A lot of swimmers, gymnast, and ice skaters (to name just a few sports) place more of an emphasis on their sports career (especially since they have a small window) rather than their education. I believe a lot of them believe that receiving an education is something they can go back to, whereas the shelf life of a swimmer, gymnast and/or ice skater is very slim. For every Katrina Witt, Michelle Kwan, Dominque Dawes, Michael Phelps (Olympians whose careers spanned two Olympics) there are more athletes who had one Olympics to acheive their goals.

True, given the demands needed to achieve the Olympics, many athletes delay, or take only one or two college courses at a time, usually in their "off" season. Michelle Kwan took college courses throughout her ice skating career, one course at a time until she got her degree. Kimmie Meisner attended the Univ. of DE taking two courses at a time while using their well known ice skating program. It is what Charlene could have done as well but chose not too.

I can understand Hibou and Rosana and others when they are dismayed at the lack of education, experience etc. of CW. I too, am from the generation who started to chip away at the glass ceiling.

But having CW well and truly installed in Monaco and its fleshpots - it's a DONE DEAL. No comparisons nor criticisms will change the status quo - unless something unforeseen happens... and CW will not blot her copybook for anything.

I recall reading in an article posted here she do know Afrikaans so it would seem she can learn foreign language.

Last edited:
Grace Kelly didn't attend college or university. Post WWII, most women did not enroll in higher education, so it was the norm for the time. Her mother was college educated, but her parents, in general, were achievers.

This thread is about Charlenes education not Graces. The press is doing enough comparing of those two woman who only have the color of their hair and eyes nothing more. The don't have the same education, don't look alike, and their style and grace have nothing in common nor is their personalities.

This is topic of this thread is the education and swimming career of Charlene NOT Grace, so let's move on.

Furthermore, if you can't site any sources that are not legitimate (sorry, my friend said, the Monaco people think, the information that I know of isnt going to cut it) regarding the true nature of Charlene's character, and what will come out about Charlene are rumours, is speculative and will be deleted without notice.

If you have any questions, please direct them to the Monaco moderators and/or TRF administrators via PM. Any posts that question this directive in the thread will be deleted. Just so we are clear.

Zonk
Monaco Forums Moderator

Last edited:
This thread has been cleaned up and reopened after a couple of people decided that TRF rules don't apply to them.

So I would like remind everyone of a few rules that are near and dear to my heart as a Monaco moderator:
  • Whenever possible, opinions should be based on factual information obtained from reputable sources and should be backed up by references to those sources. The moderators reserve the right to delete posts containing the more fanciful types of gossip and speculation, whether they originate in gossip magazines and websites or are simply fabricated.
  • Insulting comments about other posters and royals are not permitted. Criticism is acceptable; insults and flames are not. We expect our members to treat each other with respect.
and Finally,

• It is mandatory to comply with instructions posted by the moderators and administrators. Complaints about moderator actions should not be made in the threads; instead, send a private message to the moderator concerned or an administrator. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned or an administrator; do not repost deleted material or interfere with moderator edits.
This is not to say that the other rules are not as important, but for some reason we can't have a civil discussion about Charlene education and swimming career without people deciding that the rules don't apply to them.

Zonk
Monaco Forums Moderator

I have started a thread on "Charlene and her African Heritage", to give everyone an insight on what it must be like to have been born into a country like Rhodesia / Zimbabwe.

Someone pointed out today that CW can speak Afrikaans, but I can no longer find the contributor.

It would be a useful addition for the "African" thread.

I have started a thread on "Charlene and her African Heritage", to give everyone an insight on what it must be like to have been born into a country like Rhodesia / Zimbabwe.

Someone pointed out today that CW can speak Afrikaans, but I can no longer find the contributor.

It would be a useful addition for the "African" thread.
Just look above on the page- it was LadyMac"s discovery

This thread is about Charlenes education not Graces. The press is doing enough comparing of those two woman who only have the color of their hair and eyes nothing more. The don't have the same education, don't look alike, and their style and grace have nothing in common nor is their personalities.

My apologies, I should have said Grace Kelly attended a trade school. I didn't realize I was comparing GK and CW by making a comment ONLY about GK.

I certainly hope no one else goes off thread; it's not worth it.

In post # 3 of this thread, Ngalitzine wrote about education, but also about "life lessons learnt".
I started the thread on Charlene's African Heritage as a result.
Living in Africa must teach some tough lessons, I think.

Lumutqueen, I would like to answer your question in the Charlene/Africa thread, if that's okay.

Charlene does not have a College Education. There is an elephant in the room. Blacks have been fiercely discriminated against in the U.S. as well as in South Africa. Unfortunately, thise scars do not heal overnight. Its amazing for me a Black Bahamian to see how many whites tend to ignore these facts and try to turn the tables. I guess you blame the victim for being victimized.

According to this Charlene has only a high school diploma. I didn't know this fact of her. It is no wonder that I didn't find anything about this. Thank you for answering.

Back
Top Bottom