Albert and Charlene's Relationship

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s an interesting 2001 South Africa’s SuperSwimmer interview with Charlene. It really gives some insight about some of the things that we have observed played out publicly in this relationship. Ok, I don’t think anyone should be faulted for calling Charlene clumsy, selfish, self-absorbed, self-promoter, or that she’s used to boyfriends cheating on her because she states these things herself in this interview. Here’s the link to the full article and below are excerpts from three of the questions. Although this article is six years old, I still think it confirms some of the things that some of us have seen from her actions, attitude, statements, and behavior. Also, her statements about making a living demonstrates that Charlene is a survivor (which I admire), however she will do whatever she has to do to survive and thrive. After reading her response to the last question, I kind of feel sorry for her and I understand why she probably didn’t leave Monaco too long to train. Charlene is in Monaco to stay as long as Albert wants her there. I don't think she'll ever leave on her own free will - yacht girls or not. I wonder what her "night job" "secrets of survival" is?:ohmy:

Swimmers aren't exactly paid a king's ransom, but are expected to travel a great deal. How do you make it to the end of each month without having to beg for your next meal?
I don't want to give all my secrets of survival away. I'll tell you my day job later, or should I say my night job? Our federation helps us out but you have to be in the top 16 of the world rankings. I'm also privileged to have Mr Price as a sponsor and I do have a monthly retainer which helps with bringing the groceries in…

What sort of future do you envisage for yourself when you finally wash out the chlorine for the last time?
When I'm finished swimming I would like to get into some form of public relations. I don't think I could be a sports commentator like the ex-cricketers, I would just get all the names wrong and make a fool of myself. I love meeting different people and I enjoying watching different sports. Plus I would like to do something for somebody that was never done for me. I would go out and market all the swimmers and make sure everybody knows who they are.

With so much time and energy spent in the pool and flying around the world, is there ever a chance for you to develop any 'meaningful' relationships?
Sportsmen and women are very selfish people, very self-absorbed. Nothing is ever allowed to come between our sport and our desires. Sometimes you would like to be normal, but the desire to win often stops you from getting involved with other people. It's very hard to have a relationship because they don't understand that you have to travel. I've had boyfriends that would have other girlfriends by the time that I get back from my trips. I try not to get too involved because I get heartbroken…

Here’s an interesting 2001 South Africa’s SuperSwimmer interview with Charlene. It really gives some insight about some of the things that we have observed played out publicly in this relationship. Ok, I don’t think anyone should be faulted for calling Charlene clumsy, selfish, self-absorbed, self-promoter, or that she’s used to boyfriends cheating on her because she states these things herself in this interview. Here’s the link to the full article and below are excerpts from three of the questions. Although this article is six years old, I still think it confirms some of the things that some of us have seen from her actions, attitude, statements, and behavior. Also, her statements about making a living demonstrates that Charlene is a survivor (which I admire), however she will do whatever she has to do to survive and thrive. After reading her response to the last question, I kind of feel sorry for her and I understand why she probably didn’t leave Monaco too long to train. Charlene is in Monaco to stay as long as Albert wants her there. I don't think she'll ever leave on her own free will - yacht girls or not. I wonder what her "night job" "secrets of survival" is?:ohmy:

Could something have been lost in translation? I mean, I intrigued by her reference to "day job" and "night job."

Well, that article states from her own words that she has been cheated on several times by boyfriends. So basically she is so used to it that Alberts yachtgirls don't bother her. She doesn't get herself emotionally involved. That might be a good thing for not getting heartbroken and actually wise with a man like Albert and his track record of women. But just that might have kept him from proposing too. If she doesn't get involved, then neither will he. So how are two people who are so busy protecting themselves from getting hurt supposed to know what the other really feels. And then of course we do have her own admittance to selfishness and being selfabsorbed. She hasn't snapped out of it and that is why she doesn't see what is going on around her. I think she is starting to see a little more as she seems less confident then last year, but I think it has become second nature to her to not see what she doesn't want to see. It might be helpful though if she ever does get the job. Thanks My Adia. As usual you are the best in finding info.

I feel sorry for Charlene that why she don't care about what Albert do.

Good find MyAdia!
I'm improving all the time over 200 meters and the more international racing I do throughout world, the more experience I will gain.
This is something she seems to have forgotten in the last few years. Or maybe she thinks she has gained enough experience?

What I found odd is the Rhodesia/Zimbabwe distinction. It's all the same country, while she suggests she moved country. :ermm:

Good find MyAdia!This is something she seems to have forgotten in the last few years. Or maybe she thinks she has gained enough experience?

What I found odd is the Rhodesia/Zimbabwe distinction. It's all the same country, while she suggests she moved country. :ermm:
No she hasn't forgotten, she repeated the exact lines to Bunte in May. In fact all her lines in interviews are more or less the same. Maybe they taught a class about what to aswer and she never evolved from there.
What is this silly thing about I don't want to give my secrets away? Way not just say I work. Looks like she was trying to flirt with the guy? Anyone know who her sponsor Mr Price is?

Also note how she is boasting about how good she is ad how she wants to win a medal in Athens and break a few records on the way. She did't even make the team.

Her plans for afterwards were PR (erm, yes Charlene we know that's what you love and regret that no one did that for you....ever thought that they might have had a reason why they didn't?) nothing about humanitarian. But that was the time when she still needed to worry about what's gonna pay the bills and put food in her mouth... Also her comment about getting the names all wrong shows that she was only interested in having one name mentioned in sportsbroadcasting and that was hers. It wouldn't go over well if she started every sentence with: i'm Charlene Wittstock and I think...

It also matters to her that she met famous people in her course so she must be totally over the moon now...

I strongly suggest we don't go down the old road again. The right quote is: "I've had boyfriends that would have other girlfriends by the time that I get back from my trips." It's obvious, they got tired of waiting for Charlene, and just moved on with their lives. There is no suggestion of cheating in the article.

Since Charlene forgot to tell us what her night job was, there will be no guessing.

Let's stop the cattiness and speculation, and move on.

Mandy
Monaco Moderator

I strongly suggest we don't go down the old road again. The right quote is: "I've had boyfriends that would have other girlfriends by the time that I get back from my trips." It's obvious, they got tired of waiting for Charlene, and just moved on with their lives. There is no suggestion of cheating in the article.

Since Charlene forgot to tell us what her night job was, there will be no guessing.

Let's stop the cattiness and speculation, and move on.

Mandy
Monaco Moderator
I'm sorry, but I totally disagree that one is speculating that Charlene boyfriend has cheated on her since Charlene herself stated that when she would return from trips her boyfriends (she didn't state ex-boyfriend or former boyfriend) would have other girlfriends (she didn't state friend or acquaintance and she used the word other as beside herself) and that she was heartbroken. If that's not cheating what is? I clearly understand that going down any road where one discusses Charlene is heavily monitored for adherence to the rules, but this is not speculation. If I go away and I come back and my boyfriend has another girlfriend AND I am heartbroken - if that is not cheating what is? I never imagined anyone would have read that statement and not thought that her boyfriends cheated on her. I am absolutely serious, what else could she possibly be stating? Really, I really do want to know how someone else could have understood something totally differently. Are we redefining what it means to cheat just for Charlene Wittstock's sake?

I feel sorry for Charlene that why she don't care about what Albert do.
I don't think Charlene ever stated or implied that she doesn't care what Albert does. I think most women in non-polygamous cultures prefer monogamous relationships, even most professional sex workers have to deaden themselves with substances to continue their lifestyles. We are not socialized to share our men. It's just that there are various other motivating factors that influence what women will do when they are confronted with such an issue. A married homemaker with children may react differently than a working single woman.
...Her plans for afterwards were PR (erm, yes Charlene we know that's what you love and regret that no one did that for you....ever thought that they might have had a reason why they didn't?) nothing about humanitarian. But that was the time when she still needed to worry about what's gonna pay the bills and put food in her mouth...
Well, Charlene has change a lot of her aspirations and actions since she doesn’t now have to worry about money for groceries. Yes, she did talk about wanting to do PR for swimmers, which to me is a worthy goal because it is selfless and gives something back to swimmers. Please read this post that I made yesterday about Tracy Mattes being motivated to do something for athletes to make their lives better. She has made a tremendous impact! I am always so impressed when women overcome adversities and triumph. Charlene has something that most people with a cause would die for – media attention. Unfortunately, since Charlene has graced the tabloids as the appointed next Princess of Monaco, has anyone in the last two years heard or read any statements about her fellow South African swimmers or any type of promotion for swimmers? Or even a simple acknowledgement or word of encouragement about her teammates who have been constantly competing in national and international events? Any pictures with any swimmers at any of her many public social events where she has full media attention? Just this past summer when the South African swimmers came to Monaco to compete in the Mare Nostrum, she went away with Albert to his French chateau. That was also the weekend that Nike had its launch for the four women it selected to represent South African women in sports for its new “Just Do It” campaign. Charlene didn’t show up. Charlene didn’t even do the advertisement on the Nike website as some of the others for the campaign. The ad is promoting women in sports. Her South African swimming club had its annual banquet. Charlene didn’t show up. Since the media has been following her, these event would have been perfect times to “go out and market all the swimmers and make sure everybody knows who they are” - something she said that she wanted to do before she became Prince Albert’s girlfriend. Here’s a link to an article that talks about one of Charlene’s fellow swim club swimmer who despite her many accomplishment, cannot get any sponsorships (other top KZN swimmers can’t also). Perhaps, Charlene with her newly acquired fame could have helped. No. But, Charlene has lucrative sponsorships for herself without even swimming.
At the 2006 Fish Eagle Mile she triumphed over SA triathlon sensation Dominique Donner and followed that up by beating SA Oympic swimmer Charlene Wittstock at a gala in Empangeni.

Despite her amazing talent, Vinette Roux, as well as other top Zululand swimmers, are still not supported by local businesses with sponsorships
However, Charlene has been promoting something – herself (her recent Park Avenue fashion spread where she stated she wanted non-paparazzi pics of herself is one example). Now that Charlene is a prince’s girlfriend, her new career aspiration according to a May 2007 interview she gave to the South African Sunday Times is charity work. I know she stated in her Paris Match Feb 2006 interview that she did swimming clinics for under-privileged children, but I wonder just how many in her entire swimming career before she met Prince Albert. Please note, coaching a swimming training clinic for children whose families who can afford the camp fees is different than coaching children who are truly under-privileged. There is a high drowning rate and thus dire need for coaches in Richards Bay where Charlene recently trained. In the local newspaper there was an article pleading for volunteers to teach some of the poor children in the area to swim. I wondered how many children like those kids did Charlene trained? Please understand, I am NOT saying Charlene has an obligation to do so – BUT Charlene has constantly mentioned under-privileged children in her interviews since her involvement with Prince Albert.

It’s amazing and revealing that Charlene said - “Sportsmen and women are very selfish people, very self-absorbed. Nothing is ever allowed to come between our sport and our desires.” Obviously, it takes a certain degree of selfishness and self-absorption to concentrate on your sport. But, I don't think all sportsman are selfish and self-absorbed in other aspects of their lives. Tracy Mattes is just an example of someone living in Monaco.

I don't get this low expectation when it comes to Charlene. Some people consider her a success if she just shows up next to Prince Albert smiling, looking pretty and dress nicely. The better she looks, the more successfully she will be deemed. What a shallow perception and aspiration for women. It's ironic that the title of the interview that I posted is "Charlene Wittstock - Swimming Pretty." Some of us look beyond Charlene’s appearance and actually comment on other things besides (or in addition to) her hair, shoes, outfit, makeup, and figure. If that's the standard, would you consider someone like Princess Anne who is not as fashionable as someone like Crown Princess Mary an unsuccessful princess? These things do not define the substance of a person. I’ll repeat one of my favorite quotes by Maya Angelou, when people show you who they are, believe them.

Well said MyAdia. I agree with your commentary here. It is difficult to look beyond the superficial with Charlene, since it has not been published that she has been doing anything more substantive than getting a new haircut, being seen at a rugby match and then at an auction with Albert lately.

Last edited:
No she hasn't forgotten, she repeated the exact lines to Bunte in May. In fact all her lines in interviews are more or less the same. Maybe they taught a class about what to aswer and she never evolved from there.
What is this silly thing about I don't want to give my secrets away? Way not just say I work. Looks like she was trying to flirt with the guy? Anyone know who her sponsor Mr Price is?

Also note how she is boasting about how good she is ad how she wants to win a medal in Athens and break a few records on the way. She did't even make the team.

Her plans for afterwards were PR (erm, yes Charlene we know that's what you love and regret that no one did that for you....ever thought that they might have had a reason why they didn't?) nothing about humanitarian. But that was the time when she still needed to worry about what's gonna pay the bills and put food in her mouth... Also her comment about getting the names all wrong shows that she was only interested in having one name mentioned in sportsbroadcasting and that was hers. It wouldn't go over well if she started every sentence with: i'm Charlene Wittstock and I think...

It also matters to her that she met famous people in her course so she must be totally over the moon now...

I did read this article early on, when she first showed up on the scene & Paca you are right, they all sound the same. This is why so many of us feel the way we do? She does not have to mention she is self-centered, it is clear in her own words, everytime she is interviewed. She never shows humility, always she will boast about herself and her ambitions, at the same time she seems to think she thinks she is very entitled? I had read the first paragraph as her immature & crass effort at being cheeky perhaps in regard to her situation with her boyfriend, who probably was supporting her at the time? (IMO) She mentions she had a sponsor also, along with some sort of pay that SA gives their Athletes. Since when, because you're an athlete, people are expected to pay your way? Does she think other athletes don't have to work hard & support themselves to get to the Olympics? What is different for any other person trying to strive to make it in any other profession? It is not an excuse to be single or simple minded, so much that you can't manage yourself in society? I think it is clear in her words it's always the fame & glory, not the enjoyment of her sport. Everything is about winning & the end goal. She never talks about her sport as a sportman. It's all about as she said getting her name known as well as the money. I really find her self importance too much. I find that last quote about her loving the French rugby team very amusing? Wasn't that what the French minister dressed her down for? Adia, thanks for printing the article again, but you missed the statement about how she said she kept falling on her head? This could explain much:)

Last edited:
I don't think Charlene ever stated or implied that she doesn't care what Albert does. I think most women in non-polygamous cultures prefer monogamous relationships, even most professional sex workers have to deaden themselves with substances to continue their lifestyles. We are not socialized to share our men. It's just that there are various other motivating factors that influence what women will do....

....Yes, she did talk about wanting to do PR for swimmers, which to me is a worthy goal because it is selfless and gives something back to swimmers. Please read this post that I made yesterday about Tracy Mattes being motivated to do something for athletes to make their lives better. She has made a tremendous impact! I am always so impressed when women overcome adversities and triumph. Charlene has something that most people with a cause would die for – media attention. Unfortunately, since Charlene has graced the tabloids as the appointed next Princess of Monaco, has anyone in the last two years heard or read any statements about her fellow South African swimmers or any type of promotion for swimmers? Or even a simple acknowledgement or word of encouragement about her teammates who have been constantly competing in national and international events? .....

However, Charlene has been promoting something – herself (her recent Park Avenue fashion spread where she stated she wanted non-paparazzi pics of herself is one example). Now that Charlene is a prince’s girlfriend, her new career aspiration according to a May 2007 interview she gave to the South African Sunday Times is charity work. I know she stated in her Paris Match Feb 2006 interview that she did swimming clinics for under-privileged children, but I wonder just how many in her entire swimming career before she met Prince Albert. Please note, coaching a swimming training clinic for children whose families who can afford the camp fees is different than coaching children who are truly under-privileged. There is a high drowning rate and thus dire need for coaches in Richards Bay where Charlene recently trained. In the local newspaper there was an article pleading for volunteers to teach some of the poor children in the area to swim. I wondered how many children like those kids did Charlene trained? Please understand, I am NOT saying Charlene has an obligation to do so – BUT Charlene has constantly mentioned under-privileged children in her interviews since her involvement with Prince Albert.

It’s amazing and revealing that Charlene said - “Sportsmen and women are very selfish people, very self-absorbed. Nothing is ever allowed to come between our sport and our desires.” Obviously, it takes a certain degree of selfishness and self-absorption to concentrate on your sport. But, I don't think all sportsman are selfish and self-absorbed in other aspects of their lives. Tracy Mattes is just an example of someone living in Monaco.

I don't get this low expectation when it comes to Charlene. Some people consider her a success if she just shows up next to Prince Albert smiling, looking pretty and dress nicely. The better she looks, the more successfully she will be deemed. What a shallow perception and aspiration for women. It's ironic that the title of the interview that I posted is "Charlene Wittstock - Swimming Pretty." Some of us look beyond Charlene’s appearance and actually comment on other things besides (or in addition to) her hair, shoes, outfit, makeup, and figure. If that's the standard, would you consider someone like Princess Anne who is not as fashionable as someone like Crown Princess Mary an unsuccessful princess? These things do not define the substance of a person. I’ll repeat one of my favorite quotes by Maya Angelou, when people show you who they are, believe them.

My Adia, all very well said. Especially the "What a shallow perception and aspiration for woman" That is te point, I'm always tring to make & that Maya Angelou quote is one of my favorites too. I think the difference in Charlene wanting tp promote swimmers again was for fame & attention only, unlike Tracy who found a different way to support athletes through facilities for example & not just trying to get someone to fork-over and pay one's way through life. Which (IMO) is part of the problem with Charlene, she still feels entitled that someone should pay her way & support her se is not resourceful on her own, she shows no pride in the areas she should. Many athletes are married & support a family. Also the comment that she has not once tried to support athletes - she cannot even think to mention them at the Olympics, where she was promoting herself as Albert's lover, much in the same way she was promoting her secret in the above article. Or she didn't try to use the little attention she had as an athlete after her win at the Olympics to do anything with an altruistic bent, is she was so inclined?. There is nothing that comes out of her mouth that seems sincere. I really don't think many swimmers appreciate her being the spokesman for them. The "self absorbed" comment should be reserved for herself only? Charlene's motivation is obvious & classic, why we have to skate around the word is too bad. She really does not deserve the attention we have all given her since that is whats she seeks. I've yet found anything interesting about her. I think we are hoping through some collective consiousness, and through some osmosis process, we were hoping she would disappear.:lol:I do believe their is good in everybody & I really don't enjoy delving into the negative all the time. I'm sure Charlene as her own attributes. I just don't think they lean towards the attributes that she is going to need & that she seems to be missing fo far? (imo) please forgive all the typos-too tired to correct & edit tonight.

Last edited:
...I think the difference in Charlene wanting tp promote swimmers again was for fame & attention only, unlike Tracy who found a different way to support athletes through facilities for example & not just trying to get someone to fork-over and pay one's way through life. Which (IMO) is part of the problem with Charlene, she still feels entitled that someone should pay her way & support her se is not resourceful on her own, she shows no pride in the areas she should...
Oh my goodness, perhaps you are right. When I read her statements, “When I'm finished swimming I would like to get into some form of public relations… Plus I would like to do something for somebody that was never done for me. I would go out and market all the swimmers and make sure everybody knows who they are,” I assumed or dare say speculated that she wanted to promote swimmers to help them to receive sponsorships. It didn’t occur to me that she meant just exactly what she stated – to "make sure everybody knows who they are" – just for fame and attention. Isn’t this exactly what she did for herself since her first public appearance with Prince Albert at Turin? Wait, first she did it with her first date in 2001 with Albert. She gave an extremely detailed account of her first date and submitted a picture of the two of them together. Years later, she perfected at Turin. She assured everyone knew that she and the prince were lovers – by just telling them and showing them (the head on his shoulder was classic). Then she followed up her Turin debut just two weeks later with an interview with Paris Match. What’s mind-boogling is that people praised her for being discreet because she didn’t talked about Prince Albert. Hello people. Charlene was only chosen to grace the cover of Paris Match twice during that four week period and interviewed because she was dating Prince Albert. I wondered if Nelson Mandela or any other South African ever graced the cover.

Charlene is definitely not stupid; she just hopes other people are. Her strategy of defining her career as training for the Olympics at that point was brilliant. No one EVER questioned what exactly does this woman do for a living. Till this day, the tabloids still write that Charlene and Albert aren’t getting married until AFTER she competes in the Olympics. Ok, here’s a reality check for anyone who isn’t blinded by Charlene’s supposedly greatness – Charlene’s last April 2007 time in the 100m backstroke (where she boasted she reclaimed her title after placing 3rd) is 3 entire seconds (which is a lot in swimming) less than the qualifying time needed to even be considered to be selcted for SA Olympic squad. Actually, her April 2007 time is even less than her best time in that event which was in 2002. She actually first tried for SA Olymoic team in 1996 and she didn't make it. She made it in 2000, but didn't make the team in 2004. This competing in the Olmpic isn't happening and Charlene always knew that AND the SA coaches knew that - she was NEVER chosen to represent SA in ANY international competitions since she's been boasting that she's training for the Olympics.

This is what Charlene said in 2001 about her abilities. “My will to win is what makes me get out of bed every morning. I've been given a gift and I want to use it to to the best of my advantage and my abilities. When I know that I can't get any further that's the day that I will stop swimming. Anyone seen Charlene swimming lately? Charlene is not stupid when it comes to swimming; she’s just banking that everyone else is. She knows what kind of competition, training and skills it takes to make it to the Olympics. There’s at least one South African swimmer who has already made the 100m backstroke qualifying time and it ain’t Charlene Wittstock. It’s sad to see Albert’s choices in women destroy the social capital that Prince Rainier and Princess Graces toiled to build. Yes, I know that Charlene is idolized by some and glorified by the tabloids – but not for anything of substance. Obviously the girl has good qualities; she is liked by her family, her friends AND Prince Albert. But after a while, Monaco is going to need something more than Charlene’s supposedly great looks and bubbling personailty.

If I had to choose a single picture to portray Charlene and what she represents, one that even incorporates her statements (of selfishness, self-absorption, and promotion) in the above interview, it would be this picture of her with Prince Albert at the Olympics opening ceremony in Turin. When people show you who they are, believe them.

Last edited:
I do think that Prince Albert is in love with Charlene and seems to have been after her for many years now. Perhaps when he first noticed her, she was too young to date and perhaps Prince Rainier would have been upset by this. It seems that once he became the Sovereign Prince, he made the decision to go ahead with his emotions regardless of how much younger she is. Maybe to him her being an olympic swimmer and their shared interest in sports was the most captivating feature to him. We all know how much he loves sports and his companion must also in order to share this important aspect in his life. I think that it is up to him to marry her and give her an important role in the Principality and with his help and guidance I think she is capable of performing the duties of Princess of Monaco. But this she cannot do on her own. He needs to formalize their relationship and then she will have the green light to shine on her own. But for now, she can't, she is his girlfriend. If I were her, I would try even now to take an active role in the Principality, but maybe she is not allowed. Who knows what he is waiting for, maybe for her to adjust to this new way of life. She will have good tools and resources with Princess Caroline's and Stephanie's foundations as well. Hopefully they will allow her to participate in them. But all of this is up to Prince Albert. I do think he is in love and I see she seems to be also. What this relationship needs is formality and it is up to him.

“My will to win is what makes me get out of bed every morning. I've been given a gift and I want to use it to to the best of my advantage and my abilities. When I know that I can't get any further that's the day that I will stop swimming.
You have highlighted the wrong passage It should have been the previous one that says it all. How can anyone deny that she IS using her abilities to her advantage? Her determination is unchanged, only her goal has changed. Why put yourself through hardship and discipline when you can't even be sure that you'll make the team or get the gold? It is so much easier to go after Albert. Why should she consider herself in the same boat with the other athletes when she can be on a yacht with Albert? Stop looking for her in the pool. Charlene has bigger fish to fry.

MyAdia and paca, great posts, Charlene has no choice now. She was only in SA team and didn't trained because of a supposed shoulder injury (posed pics ), she is around Monaco, till albert wants her in his private life she has to work for being in his official one. She has now to use her hidden qualities to the best of her advantage and her abilities. but I'm not sure that hidden qualities it's enough for monegasque people.

since i can't say anything nice i'll just say as a "green prince" that flies around on a private jet and helicopers around his central park size county and an olympic swimmer that doesn't swim, they seem the perfect couple.
WHO is mr price? is he the previous middle aged rich man that needed an "official companion"?

MyAdia and paca, great posts, Charlene has no choice now. She was only in SA team and didn't trained because of a supposed shoulder injury (posed pics ), she is around Monaco, till albert wants her in his private life she has to work for being in his official one. She has now to use her hidden qualities to the best of her advantage and her abilities. but I'm not sure that hidden qualities it's enough for monegasque people.
That was diplomatic Lilae. I have to say after her diplomatic fiasco with the PM of France at the rugby match I can only say that she has not learned how to behave in the terms necessary for that of the job of princess and I do believe that the title Princess is a job. They may have some sort of private relationship going on by given that she has not risen to the occasion as evidenced by the rugby fiasco, I don't think she should have the job. Albert may think otherwise but she has shown by her many, many comments in interviews and now more so that she is not well suited for the job. If Albert enjoys her company perhaps he should just keep it private for the sake of Monaco. JMO

since i can't say anything nice i'll just say as a "green prince" that flies around on a private jet and helicopers around his central park size county and an olympic swimmer that doesn't swim, they seem the perfect couple.
WHO is mr price? is he the previous middle aged rich man that needed an "official companion"?
It's a south African sales chain. Apparently so well known that in SA no further explanation is needed.

Oh my goodness, perhaps you are right. When I read her statements, “When I'm finished swimming I would like to get into some form of public relations… Plus I would like to do something for somebody that was never done for me. I would go out and market all the swimmers and make sure everybody knows who they are,” I assumed or dare say speculated that she wanted to promote swimmers to help them to receive sponsorships. It didn’t occur to me that she meant just exactly what she stated – to "make sure everybody knows who they are" – just for fame and attention. Isn’t this exactly what she did for herself since her first public appearance with Prince Albert at Turin? Wait, first she did it with her first date in 2001 with Albert. She gave an extremely detailed account of her first date and submitted a picture of the two of them together. Years later, she perfected at Turin. She assured everyone knew that she and the prince were lovers – by just telling them and showing them (the head on his shoulder was classic). Then she followed up her Turin debut just two weeks later with an interview with Paris Match. What’s mind-boogling is that people praised her for being discreet because she didn’t talked about Prince Albert. Hello people. Charlene was only chosen to grace the cover of Paris Match twice during that four week period and interviewed because she was dating Prince Albert. I wondered if Nelson Mandela or any other South African ever graced the cover.

Charlene is definitely not stupid; she just hopes other people are. Her strategy of defining her career as training for the Olympics at that point was brilliant. No one EVER questioned what exactly does this woman do for a living. Till this day, the tabloids still write that Charlene and Albert aren’t getting married until AFTER she competes in the Olympics. Ok, here’s a reality check for anyone who isn’t blinded by Charlene’s supposedly greatness – Charlene’s last April 2007 time in the 100m backstroke (where she boasted she reclaimed her title after placing 3rd) is 3 entire seconds (which is a lot in swimming) less than the qualifying time needed to even be considered to be selcted for SA Olympic squad. Actually, her April 2007 time is even less than her best time in that event which was in 2002. She actually first tried for SA Olymoic team in 1996 and she didn't make it. She made it in 2000, but didn't make the team in 2004. This competing in the Olmpic isn't happening and Charlene always knew that AND the SA coaches knew that - she was NEVER chosen to represent SA in ANY international competitions since she's been boasting that she's training for the Olympics.

This is what Charlene said in 2001 about her abilities. “My will to win is what makes me get out of bed every morning. I've been given a gift and I want to use it to to the best of my advantage and my abilities. When I know that I can't get any further that's the day that I will stop swimming. Anyone seen Charlene swimming lately? Charlene is not stupid when it comes to swimming; she’s just banking that everyone else is. She knows what kind of competition, training and skills it takes to make it to the Olympics. There’s at least one South African swimmer who has already made the 100m backstroke qualifying time and it ain’t Charlene Wittstock. It’s sad to see Albert’s choices in women destroy the social capital that Prince Rainier and Princess Graces toiled to build. Yes, I know that Charlene is idolized by some and glorified by the tabloids – but not for anything of substance. Obviously the girl has good qualities; she is liked by her family, her friends AND Prince Albert. But after a while, Monaco is going to need something more than Charlene’s supposedly great looks and bubbling personailty.

If I had to choose a single picture to portray Charlene and what she represents, one that even incorporates her statements (of selfishness, self-absorption, and promotion) in the above interview, it would be this picture of her with Prince Albert at the Olympics opening ceremony in Turin. When people show you who they are, believe them.

I am sure you make some great points but can you tell those of us who are out of the loop exactly WHAT is wrong with the picture you posted? She looks lovely. Coy, perhaps yes. But selfish and self-absorbed?? I just don't see how you are getting that impression from this photo.

But again, perhaps I'm missing it.

I do think that Prince Albert is in love with Charlene and seems to have been after her for many years now. Perhaps when he first noticed her, she was too young to date and perhaps Prince Rainier would have been upset by this. It seems that once he became the Sovereign Prince, he made the decision to go ahead with his emotions regardless of how much younger she is. Maybe to him her being an olympic swimmer and their shared interest in sports was the most captivating feature to him. We all know how much he loves sports and his companion must also in order to share this important aspect in his life. I think that it is up to him to marry her and give her an important role in the Principality and with his help and guidance I think she is capable of performing the duties of Princess of Monaco. But this she cannot do on her own. He needs to formalize their relationship and then she will have the green light to shine on her own. But for now, she can't, she is his girlfriend. If I were her, I would try even now to take an active role in the Principality, but maybe she is not allowed. Who knows what he is waiting for, maybe for her to adjust to this new way of life. She will have good tools and resources with Princess Caroline's and Stephanie's foundations as well. Hopefully they will allow her to participate in them. But all of this is up to Prince Albert. I do think he is in love and I see she seems to be also. What this relationship needs is formality and it is up to him.

I have to disagree, I do not think that Albert is in love with this girl.

If a man loves a woman, he marries her. He would commit - he does not say so clearly in public the things that Albert has said so many times published and on video for all to know, especially in supposed consideration of the girl's feelings. If he loved her, that is.

I do not think Albert wants to risk losing credibility with his subjects with a useless untruth on the issue of 'is he marrying her or not' because it's just not worth it.

Albert has tried to make it a non-issue by stating clearly that it is not his intention to marry Charlene. But that does not mean he could not change his mind and if he did, it would be his own business.

Last edited:
I am sure you make some great points but can you tell those of us who are out of the loop exactly WHAT is wrong with the picture you posted? She looks lovely. Coy, perhaps yes. But selfish and self-absorbed?? I just don't see how you are getting that impression from this photo.

??? :bang: In no way, in no way!! I am sorry for you! This photo shows a cunning glance, the self-portrait kind " look at me I am with Prince Albert "!!! All my friends who saw this photo said to me that they found this horrible girl. Not that she is ugly but her glance, they appreciate in no way!! And I do not speculate, look at her eyes!!!

I think Charlene trying to look like she is very shy and innocent but came off as it all about me.

What is wrong with this picture? First, CaliforniaDreamin, you are right. Charlene does look lovely in that picture. I've always stated that Charlene was attractive. I just do not find her as beautiful as some posters and the media think that she is. I do find her very photogenic. She has great features, especially her eyes, I think they are beautiful. But, I've seen the close-up pictures of her with out the glossed over photo shopping and her skin in haggard, she has a lot of wrinkles around her eyes, and her profile is less than to be desired. Also, I come from a culture where women with curves are considered to have a great figure - and not just being tall and thin. So, I don't agree with the masses that consider a woman with no breast, no waist, no butt, no hips, and broad shoulders to have a great figure, as they say about Charlene. Actually, I saw a recent picture of Princess Beatrice with her mother on the catwalk (and a pic of Beatrice in a bikini) and for the first time she wasn't wearing frumpy clothing. I think that she has a good figure who would look smoking hot with a shedding of a few pounds. She really does have an hourglass figure, which I find more attractive than a figure like Charlene's (it's just my standard that's all).

So, all this to say that you aren't missing anything if someone's looks are the most important thing about them. Well, I think also Charlene was praised because there is nothing negative about her - in the royal world it seems negativity is now mostly defined as having out-of-wedlock children, affairs, or a previous marriage. I always found the child criteria extremely hypocritical and illogical, since the immorality in many cultures and religion is the engagement in out-of-wedlock sex (which most if not all the new European brides have had and many have lived with their husband to be prior to the wedding). An out-of-wedlock child is only the product of the immorality and irresponsibility (or on purpose or faulty) with birth control. There is nothing else of substance about these women that seems to matter. Hence, the outcome is a new crop of fashion-obsessed princesses or princess wannabees where their success is judge solely by how well they look and dress. So, Charlene is lovely, she has no children, and she has never been married and for many she's perfect.

What are you missing? In this particular picture - her behavior. While everyone else is watching the opening ceremony, she has spotted the camera and is watching it. I don't have access to my files of pictures, but there is a series of pictures of her doing exactly this. Some of us think that it was a deliberate attempt to let the public know that she is Prince Albert's lover, which she actually stated. Her behavior and statements were unprecedented for any of the other girls that he has EVER taken out in public for the first time. NEVER has any other date done such a thing. Even the serious press covered her Turin debut and her statements were widely overheard and reported. This is Charlene's response when asked about how she is enjoying Turin from LeFigaro: "Turin n'est pas seulement joli, mais également très romantique. Un lieu de vacances idéal pour deux amoureux». Interrogée sur un éventuel mariage, elle s'est bornée à dire: «Les jeux Olympiques sont la priorité et je me prépare pour les JO de 2008 à Pékin». (Turin is not only beautiful, but equally very romantic. An ideal vacation for two lovers. Questioned about a possible marriage, She contented herself with saying: "The Olympic Games are the priority and I get ready for JO of 2008 in Beijing."). What's missing? Charlene says one thing, but the spirit and action behind her words contradict her statements. After Turin, Charlene spent 2006 traveling the world and parading around Monaco with Albert. She was listed to compete in SA's national championship in April 2006 and she scratched. After Turin, her first competition was in Dec 2006 for two relay events where none of the top swimmers competed.

It's always been about her behavior, attitude, and motivation for me. With Albert's resources and money, I believe any woman that he marries will look good. Things of substance is cultured and nourished at an early age and illuminates from a person. It’s a shine and it doesn’t originate from someone’s blondness, eye color, or figure. What's missing? Substance.

Last edited:
There’s a Sep 6, 2007 Australian Women's Weekly article about Albert and Charlene titled, "Do we hear wedding bells?" by William Langley. The article is short (392 words) and since I haven’t seen it on their website, I’ll summarize it and report the things that I haven’t seen before. Basically, most of the article repeats the same stuff about the couple: she’s a shapely cool blond; she looks like Grace Kelly, the Monegasques were intrigue with her when she came to Monte Carlo; and Albert’s chances are limited by getting married by his 50th birthday because of Charlene’s statements about having a last crack at the Olympics. Here are some other quotes. As always, believe what you want.

She's back! A year after the collapse of her promising romance with Prince Albert of Monaco, shapely South African Olympic swimmer Charlene Wittstock is back in the ageing royal's embrace - and this time, the pair is making no attempt to play down their relationship.

Ironically, it was during an 18-month absence from swimming, caused by injury, that she first became close to Albert. In late 2005, the prince was in Cape Town to open a Monaco consulate and met Charlene at the reception.

A romance quickly developed and she followed him back to Monte Carlo.

Would she become their new princess and restore some of the magic the principality had missed for so long? The answer, sadly, appeared to be no because, within a year, Charlene had vanished from Albert's side. It was murmured he had dropped her because she was "uneducated", while according to other sources, she had left him in frustration at his refusal to propose.

just my opinion but alberts a fool and monaco's in big trouble if they are counting on charlene to "restore magic" to the principality. it may just be me but imo she just doesn't have "it" and a new hair cut and complete makeover isn't the answer. finding an educated woman with class and compassion with a giving spirit and personality should be his top priority. how long do mid-life crisis last anyway? imo there's plenty of magic when caroline and her gorgeous children are present at events, charlene is a non-starter for me.

just my opinion but alberts a fool and monaco's in big trouble if they are counting on charlene to "restore magic" to the principality. it may just be me but imo she just doesn't have "it" and a new hair cut and complete makeover isn't the answer. finding an educated woman with class and compassion with a giving spirit and personality should be his top priority. how long do mid-life crisis last anyway? imo there's plenty of magic when caroline and her gorgeous children are present at events, charlene is a non-starter for me.

Just look at CP Mathilde and and Princess Maxima. They're using their background to bring attention and create dialogue concerning microfinance. How about HM Queen Rania of Jordan? Some may critique her seeming obssession with haute couture, but she can attract an audience and hold an educated conversation at the World Economic Forum. She works with the UN Foundation and other high-profile political, social and economic forums. It is women like them that would help bring political legitimacy to Monaco (aside from internal housekeeping, of course).

Just look at CP Mathilde and and Princess Maxima. They're using their background to bring attention and create dialogue concerning microfinance. How about HM Queen Rania of Jordan? Some may critique her seeming obssession with haute couture, but she can attract an audience and hold an educated conversation at the World Economic Forum. She works with the UN Foundation and other high-profile political, social and economic forums. It is women like them that would help bring political legitimacy to Monaco (aside from internal housekeeping, of course).

Charlene is not in there league. She does not have their education, she does not have their diplomatic skills ( rugby match comments as example), she does not have their pose or grace nor their manners nor their refinement. Even if you eliminated the education portion she is simply not in their league. They are to be respected for their intelligence and contributions. Rania may like her couture but she uses it with the grace and pose of someone in her position. She is always dressed in excellent taste even when she wears blue jeans. With all due respect for your opinions I just have to differ with you on this one.

In fairness Charlene as yet has not been granted a true position to do what they do because she has no status, not wife, not fiance, and most recently simply referred to as friend or just Charlene. No position at all. Albert in fact has put her in an awkward position but one that she has accepted. It sadly looks like that of a public mistress. It's such a shame for Monaco.

Charlene is not in there league. She does not have their education, she does not have their diplomatic skills ( rugby match comments as example), she does not have their pose or grace nor their manners nor their refinement. Even if you eliminated the education portion she is simply not in their league. They are to be respected for their intelligence and contributions...
Well, I cannot easily dismiss the education portion. The problem is not just that Charlene doesn't have a formal education, because in the U.S. we have athletes who have graduated from high school AND college who are functionally illiterate. What Charlene stated in her Paris Match interview is that her grades didn't matter to her only swimming. So the debate whether she finished high school is a mute point for me. She showed me something more important - her performance and attitude toward learning. This is a woman who is telling you that she attended school and performing well and learning didn't matter to her. Compare this to someone like Princess Mathilde who returned to school and completed her masters degree even AFTER she married her prince. That's substance people.

Substance for Charlene is telling a reporter on April 15, 2007 (article) that she can return to Europe because the tabloids will leave her alone because, ""I feel now that they respect the fact that I have a career, and that I need my space." Charlene has created a farce of a career instead of actually re-examing her life and matching her skills to something that she can give back and make a difference. Actually, she has created her space even more in the public in front of the media since she returned to Monaco. Her words are shallow. But, I will give her due credit for her determination - she has that ten-fold. How can one respect her for her intelligence?

??? :bang: In no way, in no way!! I am sorry for you! This photo shows a cunning glance, the self-portrait kind " look at me I am with Prince Albert "!!! All my friends who saw this photo said to me that they found this horrible girl. Not that she is ugly but her glance, they appreciate in no way!! And I do not speculate, look at her eyes!!!

Well...okay. If you say so. I don't agree but I certainly respect your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom