Worst Royal Jewels 2

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did someone say "aquamarines"???
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion

Thomas, I wasn't sure which aquamarine's you were referring to--but when I see "Worst Jewels" and "aquamarines" together, well, I think of this UGLY tiara. Maybe some people think its lovely, but I find it perfectly appropraite to the thread. I'm sure its been here before, but its so ugly that it deserves a second appearance!

Cat, cat, Cat--I have blond moment ALL the time--and I'm a brunette! I love that you found such a hideous piece of jewellery--and I love that the piece was reworked to show its beauty. I find the parue one of the prettiest I've seen. It's so delicate!

Thomas, beautiful, beautiful and absolutely CORRECT summation of the Luxembourg piece--it IS an art deco blob. I mean, really, when I saw that pic my face screwed up like I licked a lemon and I shuddered. Literally--it just looks wrong--whether as a tiara or a necklace. I think the sides (open squares set with diamonds) can be worn as brooches, but they're so large and empty in the middle that they would seem incomplete. That piece needs to be disassembled, reworked, and well, I don't know what they could do. It's so ugly I can't even imagine it in another form.

Dear Jcbcode99,

I was refering to Lady Cat's post no. 20 further up the page. The aquamarines are lovely stones but the design of the contraption is god-awful. An abomination. How the good woman could have consented to put such a thing on her perfectly dignified head is beyond my understanding. As for the QEII contraption, it too needs to be taken apart and redone. She needs to fire or rather behead the jeweler that constructed the positively revolting abomination. Cheers

It is ugly--the stones themselves are gorgeous--but those fan shaped details and the way the stones are set--really just a flop (to quote our dear friend Thomas!)---I DO wish we could see the Marie Feodorovna sapphire tiara soon (perhaps on Camilla at the next tiara event, or on HM herself--but she'll likely be in the Girls of Great Britain---sigh)
BUT, I was on the Royal Jewels of the World website and one of the posters, Lorenzo, posted this photo of an aquamarine tiara in the Spanish Royal Family--

"Parures du pouvoir - Joyaux des Cours européennes", catalogue of the exhibition held in Brussels.

Here is the link--you can click on the piece to see it up close--
THIS is how an aquamarine tiara should be done.
Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be mistaken but it appears the aquamarines used in this tiara are the same stones as the ones in the awful Spanish tiara I posted earlier (Post 20 in this thread I believe). It appears the RF agreed with our assessment of the other tiara and found someone to create a better setting for those gorgeous stones!

Cat

LadyCat--by George, I think you're right! What luck we've had this week--we've found two horrendously unattractive tiaras (the aquamarine and the sapphire) and as luck would have it we've also found the much improved and remodeled tiaras! I have to say I do love the new version of the aquamarine tiara--those aquamarines are really beautiful--and I really like the circle tiaras like these.

Yes it is them same and unfortunately this tiara has left the spanish Royal family. The orignal belonged to Queen Victoria eugenie who left it to her daughter Beatriz, married to Prince Alexxandro Torlonia. She changed the design of the tiara and wore it a few times. her daughter Olimpia Weiller (mother of Princess Sibilla ofLluxemburg) whore it at the Wedding of Frederik and Mary.

I wonder where the thing went. The revised version is a marvel. I would have done more with the base but the idea of a series of circles, an extremely and jusitifiably popular idea, for the aquamarines is wonderful. And the improved Lacronski tiara is a marvel to behold. As I say these gems are not bad, the designs to which they can be put can all too often be just horrendus. the supreme examble being the gelatin cough drop tiara of Sonja and the Poppy Outer Space Ghastliness of the esteemed Margerethe II. But yes, you have hit pay dirt twice and contributed to the few and feeble rays of happiness in my life this past week. Cheers.

I'm not sure what Aquamarine tiara of QEII we're talking about. My (work) computer blocks personal photo storage websites. Is it the one from her Aquamarine parure? That was made from stones given to her by Brazil (because that's where they were mined) for her coronation and the other aquamarines in the parure were gifts over the years from Brazil as well. Or are we talking about the Aquamarine tiara QEII gave to Anne, the Princess Royal, because that is one fugly tiara! Although, if Autumn Kelly wears it for her wedding to Peter Phillips as her something borrowed/blue, I think there's a slim chance of it looking decent.:lol:

I agree, it's kind of weird. It actually doesn't look like a tiara to me. The 4 sort-of-leaf on the side seem wrong to me : reminds me of Caesar's wreath crown :D

The specific tiara we're discussing is the Brazillian tiara of QEII--but the pinecone flower tiara (the fugly one) has been receiving some intense discussion in the Princess Anne jewels thread. I, personally, don't care for either. The one of QEII's is weird looking and dated. The stones are nice, though. The one of Princess Anne's looks odd--something's not quite right with it's proportion. For Miss Kelly, I'm hoping for the festoon tiara on the wedding day.

The Truth--it totaly looks like the Roman laurel wreath---I think in its original form it looked better--but it still looks unsymmetrical because the two aquamarine's on either side of the central pinecone element were taller than the pinecone itself. (pulling photos from Princess Anne jewelery thread--courtesty of Andrew's photobucket)
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/andrewcs/149tpvt.jpg

The newly worked version has too much space between the elements--
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/andrewcs/UKAnneCartierAquamarinePineflowerTi.jpg

and, a special treat, the removed elements were recycled into a pendant and a brooch
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/andrewcs/6jyu5pf.jpg

So, in all honesty, I don't know about this tiara. I prefer the original version, but those aquamarines on either side of the central pinecone are too tall. It hurts the symmetry of the piece.

I do think it belongs in this thread, though.

Yes it is them same and unfortunately this tiara has left the spanish Royal family. The orignal belonged to Queen Victoria eugenie who left it to her daughter Beatriz, married to Prince Alexxandro Torlonia. She changed the design of the tiara and wore it a few times. her daughter Olimpia Weiller (mother of Princess Sibilla ofLluxemburg) whore it at the Wedding of Frederik and Mary.

Ursula's site has some great info on this piece (and others in the Spanish Royal Familyl)
Aquamarine Tiara | Aguamarinas Diademe |Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain (ugly setting, nice stones--I actually like the bracelet and the brooch)

Aquamarin Diadem | Aguamarinas Diademe |Aqamarine Parure of Queen Ena of Spain another picture from Ursuala--this time with photos of both versions--

Good Heavens, the Spainish monarchy has had just about as wild a time of it as the Greek monarchy. Thank you JCB for digging up these goodies. Some of the things are marvels and some are less, a lot less to tell the truth, than marvels. But one can say with the Spainish royal family there cetainly seems to be never a dull moment. And the ladies do get to bedeck themselves with all the goodies, good, bad and indifferent. Cheers.

I rather like the necklace. It looks very Art Deco to me, with its geometric lines and scarabs, but it was made far too early for it to be so classified.

I think it would look far better worn with no jewellery other than a simple tiara, and with a gown cut in a simple style, something like this: http://www.costumes.org/travel/usitt2001/3/Mvc-019f.jpg
but in pale green or cream silk so the coloured stones stand out, and on a far younger neck.

It looks like s child's necklace. I think it's the pearls that give it that impression - they need to be bigger. But it definately belongs around a much younger neck (although I don't think it's suited for either Swedish princess.). Maybe it's time has come! Break it up!

Too bad that Princess Lillian doesn't wear it very well. The story behind the necklace sounds rather romantic.

Too bad that Princess Lillian doesn't wear it very well. The story behind the necklace sounds rather romantic.

It really is a romantic story, isn't it? I love the story behind it---but the necklace itself--it doesn't drape properly on Princess Lillian--and it isn't terribly flattering to her neck at all. I agree that perhaps the time has come to break the thing up. A nice necklace, bracelets, etc....

What does everything think about the tiara she's wearing? I like it, but I don't like it, if that makes sense. It looks odd, there's too much space between the tiers--but it is better than the aquamarine horror of QEII.

Don't like the necklace, not crazy about the tiara. Perhaps the two pieces should be used to create one new piece? A tiara perhaps? Maybe the gems from the necklace could be used to fill in the empty space between the tiers of the tiara and the pearls could be made into a five (or ten:)) strand choker? I don't know!

The tiara isn't too bad. I could better judge it on a dark haired beauty like Crown Princess Victoria.

Well, just looking at it (after shielding my eyes from the blinding glare of ugliness) the necklace, shown here so we don't have to go back and forth:
Crownprincess Margareta`s Necklace
and here,
lilian just for a second view (and a better image of the tiara)---

I think with the necklace, which is just really unattractive and unflattering (MAYBE Cate Blanchett could pull it off, but that's a stretch)--
I would take the two topmost blue-ish pieces that match and make them into earrings.The middle scarab on the necklace I would turn into a petite brooch or put it on a strand of the pearls.
As for the remainder, because the scarabs are all different sizes, there is a little bit of quandry because there would be a lack of symmetry in a single necklace. I think that it is difficult to know what to do with this piece (perhaps that is why it remains in this form) but the scarabs are very good size. I would probably just divide the scarabs and the pearl strands and have four seperate necklaces made.
I'm not a good photoshopper--perhaps someone can play??
As for the tiara, I don't have the first idea what to do to help it. It's not bad, but its not great. I'll bet money that it can be found nowhere on the Favorite Tiaras thread!!!

If the tiara sat on the head like a headband where the ends were behind the ears vice atop the head, I think it could be lovely.

The tiara can also be worn as a necklace, scroll down the page in the second link Janet posted. I have to say it looks even worse worn around the neck.

Cat

LadyCat,
I think I kinda like it as a necklace. I think?:unsure: Its not bowling me over but it isn't bad.

And that is the beauty of TRF - we all have differing opinions. Gotta luv it! I have a 100 inch strand of black pearls that I love and my daughter hates. She thinks they are ugly -- as if!

At any rate, if someone held a gun to my head and said I had to wear it (haha:bangin:) I think I would have to go with the tiara form. The necklace seems too awkward to me.

Cat

Nose plugs, that what you should use the ugly thing for. Nose plugs or those Hindu thingies where they glue a gemstone to the side of the nose. The thing is revoltingly hideous. Those teeensy weensy pearls look as if they came from constipated oysters. the rest of it looks like gum drops from a five and dime store in the slums of Nairobi.

If you must use it- I say sell it and take the funds and do something decent with them-help the starving of Dafour or send me a train car load of choclate or some such. I do not care for coubochon gemstones.

However, if you insist. Breat the thing up and make a series of necklaces with it using the large emerald, rubies or sapphire as a pendant on a chain of simple diamonds. Use the white stones-diamonds??? as earings and the rubies as well. The smaller emerald could be set in a ring??? (not a good idea). But anyway the whole thing together is just too tooooooo much. Cheers.

On Magnolia's site, lilian, it shows the tiara and says it can be worn as a necklace. Further down, there is a necklace that looks very similar--same shape and all, but are they the same? I'm not sure--the settings of the diamonds look very different--the tiara has a very stylized, laurel wreath kind of formation going on, and the necklace just looks like collet set stones to me--in the third row of pictures, in the first picture Princess Lilian is wearing the button tiara, in a blue gown, with some big diamond earrings--and the necklace in question. If you look at it, you'll see a ribbon/bow above the final drop--that is not present in the tiara form--
I'm not sure they're one in the same, but the style is so similar I'm afraid to make that definitive statement, especially since I've not seen the two worn together--

Found it! I didn't think they were the same--I finally, after much searching in my quest for the Worst Royal Jewels Thread (my favorite thread!!!) I found the Princess LIlian Jewlery thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/princess-lilian-jewlery-4308.html

and posted by Larzen is this photo:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77876&d=1105381484
which shows Princess Lilian wearing both pieces at the same time--which leads to the conclusion that they are not the same piece. However, I would LOVE to see that awkward piece in necklace form!!!

And, dearest Thomas, I DO love the "constipated oysters" bit in your description of the seed pearls in the scarab necklace! I completely cracked up (which, incidentally is what should be done to this necklace)

but, I did have a thought--perhaps the scarabs could be altered in such a way that they could be (at whim) the centerpiece for a choker made from several strands of the pearls??

Mea culpa. Janet I believe you are 100% correct. I jumped to conclusions when I saw it stated that the tiara could be worn as a necklace, and assumed the pics below were showing it worn as a necklace. It didn't help that the "style" was in essence the same. On closer inspection you can tell the difference and I thank you for pointing it out to this blind blonde. :ohmy: I'll have to see if I can find a pic of the tiara worn as a necklace. Maybe it does look better around the neck.

Cat

PS and we'll just call you Speedy!

Last edited:
Nose plugs, that what you should use the ugly thing for. Nose plugs or those Hindu thingies where they glue a gemstone to the side of the nose. The thing is revoltingly hideous. Those teeensy weensy pearls look as if they came from constipated oysters. the rest of it looks like gum drops from a five and dime store in the slums of Nairobi.
I love it. I love it! I LOVE IT!! I just knew you would come up with an apt description of this necklace and the components thereof. The nose plugs and constipated oyster bits are new classics! Thomas you are the best!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom