Worst Royal Jewels 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thomas Parkman said:
I agree with another writer, could somebody please find some tasteful, lovely trinkets of diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, pearls and rubies to soothe my rattled nerves. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
Thomas!
You are subjecting yourself to unnecessary suffering and no doubt further straining those already-frazzled nerves.

This thread is for the "Worst Jewels".

Rather than suffer further with the second-rate and unsightly, I suggest you enjoy any one of the literally dozens of threads devoted to pleasing (and glittering!) Royal Jewels.

Your obvious distress is becoming distressing. :)

Crown Jewel said:
I agree with you Amy, the necklace looks out of balance on her and with her gown. Do you know if she has worn this necklace since the wedding?

Crown Jewel, as far as I know Sophie hasn't worn the necklace again after her wedding and probably for good reason.;)
I stick by my statement, this necklace is ugly.

i dont think madeline's aquamarine tiara is ugly. it is quite pretty i have bright bright red hair and i think somethng like that would look good on my hair. tanya

Dear Warren and company:

My nerves are distressed, no matter what. Besides, it is great fun to see all the horrors. It is an antidote to all the glittering and unattainable gorgeousness on all those other threads. Besides, you can't very well put a picture of Rameses II in his glass case on the network here. There are certain things that are just not done. (I hope) Cheers. Thomas Parkman

HRHAmy said:
Crown Jewel, as far as I know Sophie hasn't worn the necklace again after her wedding and probably for good reason.;)
I stick by my statement, this necklace is ugly.

I've seen it since her wedding. Maybe at the Queen Mother's funeral or something? It isn't the sort of thing for everyday wear or to complement an evening dress, that's for sure.

I don't understand, why would royals hold on to less attractive pieces rather than sell them and get more money for them since they are historic pieces, and then they could buy better jewels and tiaras that they could get more use out of? For example, CP Victoria has a not so pretty tiara that I think she could probably sell and then she would be able to buy a more fashionable tiara. Just a thought. You would think that that is what they would do. Why keep a not so pretty tiara when you can get a better one that would make you look better and you could get a lot more use out of? Who knows, it's her culture and her family.

Last edited:
Even though some royal jewels are neither pretty nor fashionable, there is a lot of historical value and personal sentiment towards them. Victoria's first tiara was a gift from her parents for her 18th birthday which was a very significant birthday for her. This tiara marks that turning of age. Besides, how would her parents feel if she just sold the tiara they probably thought a lot about no matter how ugly. Victoria may even think about giving it to her own daughter one day (I hope not...), who knows? The button tiaras that many people are horrified with :D are certainly not the best royal tiaras but those ten buttons are significant to the royals and their history. I think they hold onto them because maybe they are worth more than the amount of money they would receive from selling those jewels. These jewels come from hundreds of years back, they're not something you just give, throw away, or sell in a heartbeat.

hilal said:
Better known as Princess Alexandra of Denmark's signature tiara. The diamonds in the arches are loose hanging, which means that with every movement of the wearer, the diamonds shimmer. It must be a sight to see under lights. Perhaps the problem is that this tiara is hard to photograph unless the wearer is absolutley still. But clear pics show it to be quite a delicate and impressive work of the jeweller's art.

Last edited:
Melania said:
I don't understand, why would royals hold on to less attractive pieces rather than sell them and get more money for them since they are historic pieces, and then they could buy better jewels and tiaras that they could get more use out of? For example, CP Victoria has a not so pretty tiara that I think she could probably sell and then she would be able to buy a more fashionable tiara. Just a thought. You would think that that is what they would do. Why keep a not so pretty tiara when you can get a better one that would make you look better and you could get a lot more use out of? Who knows, it's her culture and her family.

One thing that strikes me about the jewelry in this thread is that none of it is really ugly but just inappropriate for the person wearing it.

These Royal Families have a history of centuries and part of that history are pieces of jewelry that have been seen on successive generations. Its their signature. Non-royal women may have bigger diamonds but no one outside of royalty has the jewels with the combination of wealth and history that the royals do.

Some royal jewels have been re-set but for a royal family with hundreds of years of history, it doesn't alway make sense to re-fashion a piece of historical jewelry because one princess in one generation out of 20 generations can't wear it.

When it comes to looking modern, looking stylish, the royals are always going to lose out to commoners who don't have the restrictions of being royal. But the royals have something the normal rich woman on the street doesn't have and thats what makes them unique.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=82214&d=1106178683

This goes into the books as the High Five tiara :rolleyes:

My worst tiaras are the button-tiaras of the Swedish court, especially the 4-button one that makes Victoria look like an alien with antennas on.

I agree, the green one Princess Rania wears looks awful. Maybe with a dress in the same colour and shade it would work better. Did she have her nose done ?? I think someone implied that earlier :confused:

This is one of my favorite tiaras although I know many hate it, the upper middle picture: http://www.slaikjaer.com/jewellery/margrethe3.html

This one even I dislike, the upper right picture: http://www.slaikjaer.com/jewellery/margrethe1.html

hilal & warren > I really like the tiara. I think Alexandrine's diamond drop tiara would look better on someone else than Alexandra. But I think they gave it to her so it would make her appear taller.

Melania said:
I don't think the royals find it appropriate to sell out clothes or jewellery.

What if some rich adult movie producer bought Victoria's most ugly tiaras and her early dresses , hired an actress who looked like Victoria (only with F-cups) and started producing hot Vickan movies ??

The thought is awful.

Sorry if my vivid imagination offends anyone.

But I think it's obvious why tiaras and clothes shouldn't end up in commoners possesion.

Daneborn said:
This one even I dislike, the upper right picture: http://www.slaikjaer.com/jewellery/margrethe1.html.
It's almost impressively ugly!

Daneborn said:
hilal & warren > I really like the tiara. I think Alexandrine's diamond drop tiara would look better on someone else than Alexandra. But I think they gave it to her so it would make her appear taller.
I like this tiara too; I'm surprised that it has found its way to the thread about worst royal jewels.

I actually like HH Princess Alexandra of Denmark's Drop Diamond Tiara.

Those awful ten buttons

Dear Members,

Comments have been made about the button tiara of CP Victoria of Sweden. It seems that the dress uniform of HM Carl XIV Jahan of Sweden who was Marshall Jean Bernedotte under the Emperor Napoleon had ten large buttons set with diamonds. These buttons have been used to construct two tiaras. One with four for the Crown Princess and one with six, which doesn't look quite as bad for Princess Lillian. I think they should have just pried out all of those diamonds melted down the metal and done something elegand and decent with them. A lovely Swedish tiara, but no, the buttons are of historical importance I guess. So there you have it. Cheers. Thomas Parkman

Thomas Parkman said:
Dear Members,

Comments have been made about the button tiara of CP Victoria of Sweden. It seems that the dress uniform of HM Carl XIV Jahan of Sweden who was Marshall Jean Bernedotte under the Emperor Napoleon had ten large buttons set with diamonds. These buttons have been used to construct two tiaras. One with four for the Crown Princess and one with six, which doesn't look quite as bad for Princess Lillian. I think they should have just pried out all of those diamonds melted down the metal and done something elegand and decent with them. A lovely Swedish tiara, but no, the buttons are of historical importance I guess. So there you have it. Cheers. Thomas Parkman
What a shame they broke 10 buttons up into two different tiaras. It might look better with 10 buttons placed closer to each other than the 4-button antennas. The 6 button can be OK, especially on Lilian.

The 4 and 6-button tiaras aren't ''made'' for Victoria and Lilian. All the royal ladies get to use them from time to time. Only Silvia, who apparently gets to pick first from the royal jewel box, can avoid them.

I don't know, maybe it's actually Silvia who decides which of her female relatives who get to use which tiara. So that way we know who's most unpopular with the Queen. (Only me speculating) :rolleyes:

At the 2005 Nobel banquet I believe Princess Christina wore the 4-button tiara.

Just my idea, I love princess Alexandra's tiara, it really is a magnificent piece of jeweller's art, as you say, Warren! :)

Are there any pics of Queen Alexandrine with the diamond-drop tiara? I agree, I think it may be a beautiful tiara but just not right for Alexandra.

It makes her look like a fairytale princess but not in a good way; the whole effect is a little cartoonish, I keep waiting for the evil stepmother to step out of the carriage.

ysbel said:
Are there any pics of Queen Alexandrine with the diamond-drop tiara? I agree, I think it may be a beautiful tiara but just not right for Alexandra.

It makes her look like a fairytale princess but not in a good way; the whole effect is a little cartoonish, I keep waiting for the evil stepmother to step out of the carriage.

The diamond-drop is a very beautiful tiara indeed. But I agree that it doesn't look the best on Alexandra. I think it's the way she wears it. Sometimes it's pushed far back and her hair in the front poofs up that you only see the pointy edges of the tiara. Other times she places it squarely on top of her head and it looks off. I'll look for some pictures to post.

EDIT: I've found one picture where I think the tiara looks so-so but it's because there's hair behind it to back it up, if you get what I mean: http://www.theroyalforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2415&c=4

This I don't like because it's right on top of her head and doesn't match her face shape: http://www.theroyalforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2174&c=4

What is the point of wearing a tiara when it can't really be seen? This is the hairstyle I'm talking about the poof in the front. She looks very bit elegant and regal but the tiara leaves much to be desired:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=1483&c=4

*All photos taken from the TRF Photo Gallery - Royal Family of Denmark

Last edited:
SoCal girl - thanks for the work you put into this. :)

Warren said:
SoCal girl - thanks for the work you put into this. :)

No problem Warren. :)

I really do wish one day that Alexandra is presented with another tiara. I know Queen Margarethe has no obligation to do so but with all the hard work Alexandra does representing Denmark; I hope it will be recognized with a grand, beautiful tiara (that complements Alexandra well :p ).

Thanks socal.

This is the way she wears it most often and its not so flattering:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2415&c=4http://www.theroyalforums.com/galler...php?i=2174&c=4

I wanted to see it on other royal ladies to compare how it looked. Queen Margrethe actually wore it at a reception given at Harald's and Sonja's wedding but I couldn't find a pic. And although its called the Alexandrine diamond drop, there's no pic of Queen Alexandrine actually wearing it.

So these pics of Alexandra wearing it are the only ones around, I think.

Last edited:
The Wessex Tiara is the second worst Tiara after the Swedish Steel Tiara, imho.

What makes them look bad is when the metal base of the tiara is cleary able to be seen in the hair. The Wessex one is noted for that.

Lady Marmalade said:
What makes them look bad is when the metal base of the tiara is cleary able to be seen in the hair. The Wessex one is noted for that.

I agree that is one of the main reasons, but the Wessex Tiara just looks odd to me. Please don't laugh, but it puts me in mind of Antlers. I can't explain. I know she has received others, but it would be nice if she could receive a nice Old, Royal Tiara.

I dislike the Swedish Six Button Tiara.

I don't like the six button tiara. I don't see how Victoria can wear it as often as hse does. The poppy tiara is a real joke and thank God Queen Margrethe hasn't worn again. I think what makes Princess Alexandra's tiara not look that great on her is the way she does her hair. The massive amounts of extensions to make her hair big and poufy gets old after a while. And to me it always looks like its done in the same style even though its probably not.

cath said:
Actually, I think this is quite pretty. Delicate looking.

I think it's a beautiful tiara. But the way she wears it all the time is just awful! If you go to the Danish Royal Family, Bulgaria State Visit Thread, you'll see new pictures of Alexandra in the tiara. It's in the same style, plopped on her head and it just doesn't look good. Alexandra and the tiara are gorgeous separately but they don't seem to mesh well together. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom