Worst Royal Jewels 1

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
okay, iowabelle. I can live with your version.
I'm surely no sexist;) .
There are men with good taste for jewels (I know one myself :heart:)... but not King Harald.
He must have been blind when he bought this tiara.:D

magnik said:
Btw. Don't you think that it would look better on dark hair like Rania's?
That's possible.. i think it looks a bit better on Sonja now that her hair is a bit darker again... maybe this tiara looks ok in longer and dark hair.

Last edited:
Well, I must say that it certainly looks better with a blue topaz in it than the cough syrup tourmaline. As for the yellow dress, we could put her out in a wild parrot nesting sight and she would fit right in. Cheers.

While Sonja's tiara looks moderately better with the blue topaz--I can't help but be reminded of this: YouTube - Wonder Woman TV Intro=

And yes, some men do not need to go jewelery shopping. The PoW is not one of them. He's not going to give His Duchess anything that would embarass her.

belongs to the Westphalian noble family (I don't really know much about them, I looked but couldn't find much)
Wesphalia is a region; the family hasn't been identified. The heading in Webshots should read "from a Westphalian noble family."

Eegads! She's got wings on her head! How very WRONG!:ohmy: It's not even proportionate to her hair, etc. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! Hide that one in the vaults!

Doesn't it look like Princess Astrid is going to fly off at any moment? That's a jewelry trend that should have been passed by (can't imagine Queen Mary wearing that!). (And why is it that my fellow Norwegians have so many jewelry don'ts?)

Northrhein Westphalia is a country in the west of Germany.

iowabella said:
And why is it that my fellow Norwegians have so many jewelry don'ts?
Imo they only have 2 jewelry "don'ts".
The "Star Wars"Topaz Tiara and the "Asterix" Feather-Tiara. ;)
The rest of their Tiaras and jewels are really impressing.
Just have a look: http://www.angelfire.com/la3/lone_mor/kongelige.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonder what the thing would look like if they actually put feathers in it?? That would be wild now wouldn't it. Actually the animal rights people would bitterly complain about murdering ostriches, parrots, peacocks, phesants, penguins, vultures, buzzards or whatever it is you put on women's heads to go with those aigrette contraptions. Did they have styles in ffeathers I wonder. Was there a colour of the year? Did they dye them or leave them au natural. We could see Princess Who's Its??? wearing mauve buzzard feathers. That would be a riot, but then it could start a fad or a craze. If women, and men, will bedeck themselves with tatoos or some of the God Awful junk they have plunked on their heads in this thread they are capable of wearing anything. Cheers.

I guess I shouldn't be too hard on Norway. After all, they haven't had an independent government/monarchy for as long as many of the other European nations, and haven't had as much time to amass treasure. And Norway wasn't a great imperial power either, so it didn't get all the beautiful gems from Africa and Asia.

I posted a query on another thread about HM's opals... and I have to nominate her dinner plate of an opal, mounted on a necklace, as a candidate for a worst. I think it proves that large isn't necessarily beautiful... but I am impressed that opals grow that large in Australia!

"dinner plate of an opal, mounted on a necklace" :lol::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That is TOOOO funny (an a very accurate summation of the piece!)

I keep telling you people the thing isn't an opal at all. It is a giant gall stone extracted from the fattest man in Australia and the government (ie Labour and all those Republicans) decided instead of putting it in the national museum to get some industrial grade diamonds and have it mounted as a gift to the Queen. Who took one look. quiietly lifted one eyebrow at the attending courtiers and the thing disappeared into the Duds and Rejects Room at the back of the bottom of the Vault under Buckingham Palace never to be seen again. Cheers.

PS The Royal College of Surgeons regularly uses this picture to remind patients of what could happen to them if they either do not have their gall stones removed and go on and stay on the no gall stone diet or that if they do not straighten up and eat the right foods and exercise the whole ball gall of wax will have to be excised. A picture of that should do it. More than a little convincing don't you think. cheers.

OH THOMAS! You make me laughing so hard I have tears running down my face! Gallstone indeed! Has the Queen worn this thing more than once or twice? I mean, it is MASSIVE and must be quite uncomfortable to wear (as well as just plain hideous!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiaras with wings like that are sometimes referred to as "Valkyrie's wings"...I happen to think that the Norwegian version is not as large and ugly as some of the other versions that I've seen...

"not as large and ugly"...............but still ugly.

Tiaras with wings like that are sometimes referred to as "Valkyrie's wings"...I happen to think that the Norwegian version is not as large and ugly as some of the other versions that I've seen...

I think it actually might be less ugly if the wings were somewhat larger. They just look like they sprouted out of Princess Astrid's hair, and they are out of proportion to her (or any adult female's) head. (Yes, I said it, if it's ugly, make it bigger!) And to think I'm hostessing a fashion show tonight, albeit for children. :lol:

I keep telling you good people that the Valkyrie's wings is actually an aigrette and should have feathers, lots of feathers coming out of it. I could tell you my parrot jokes but the powers would not be amused. Suffice it to say that when you see the good princess whomever with those teensy little thingies in her hair think feathers, lots of large gaudy feathers and then you will get the point. I saw this absolutely drop dead aigrette ( a picture of course) that had a 92 carat sapphire and a beautiful thin diamond bandeau supporting it with whatever to hold the feathers, can you imagine anything so stupid. Of course the aigrette was sublime by itself, but if your thing is feathers well you just got to have feathers. I personally prefer a few well placed peacock plumes. with that sapphire I would be drop dead gorgeous and stop traffic on Main Street. Cheers.

And with Thomas wize remarks about Valkyrie wings of Princess Astrid it is time to close this thread. We have summed the royal jewel horrors up in almost 30 pages, but I am sure there is enough left to enjoy in a new thread:

Worst Royal Jewels, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom