Tiaras and Jewels guessing for upcoming events: 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Greville emerald is only associated with Eugenie as she was the last one to wear it. Once Camilla or Catherine wear it a couple of times, those associations will evolve.

I agree. Eugenie only wore it once. Jewels associated with someone, I would say that is like the Spencer tiara and Diana, the Leuchtenberg sapphires and Silvia, Sonja and her emeralds, etc. But in time, even the most-used jewels of queens also will get associated with its new wearer.

I hope the British royals will use the emerald tiara and so. Because it is too beautiful for a one-time-only use.

Much as I would love to see Camilla use the Greville emerald tiara, perhaps it is best left for Catherine to use. Perhaps Camilla is better off using the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara, which is quite versatile and where she can have emerald or pearl options.

Much as I would love to see Camilla use the Greville emerald tiara, perhaps it is best left for Catherine to use. Perhaps Camilla is better off using the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara, which is quite versatile and where she can have emerald or pearl options.

I am sure Queen Camilla will wear King George IV's State Diadem during the Coronation. The most imposing diadem of all.

I am sure Queen Camilla will wear King George IV's State Diadem during the Coronation. The most imposing diadem of all.

If Camilla does indeed choose to wear something on her head enroute to the Coronation, the George IV diadem would certainly be my choice. That said, in the past, not many consorts have done so.

If Camilla does indeed choose to wear something on her head enroute to the Coronation, the George IV diadem would certainly be my choice. That said, in the past, not many consorts have done so.

Oh yes, of course. Most likely Queen Camilla will go bareheaded to the Coronation indeed. It remains to see if the King and Queen Camilla will return to Buckingham Palace wearing their crowns indeed. Or will they lay off their crowns after the actual Coronation and leave the Abbey wearing a naval cap (the King) and a diadem (Queen Camilla)?

I can imagine that King Charles continues the practice of the latest years: reading the King's Speech with the crown displayed rather than being worn.

I can imagine that King Charles continues the practice of the latest years: reading the King's Speech with the crown displayed rather than being worn.

I agree, this could very much be the template in the current reign as well, with the Crown displayed but not worn during the state opening of Parliament.

Oh yes, of course. Most likely Queen Camilla will go bareheaded to the Coronation indeed. It remains to see if the King and Queen Camilla will return to Buckingham Palace wearing their crowns indeed. Or will they lay off their crowns after the actual Coronation and leave the Abbey wearing a naval cap (the King) and a diadem (Queen Camilla)?

But then the King would have to exchange the St. Edwards Crown for the Imperial State crown during the actual Ceremony. Usually this has done at the End of the Service when the King and Queen go the Chapel of Edward the Confessor to prepare for the exit procession

The George IV state diadem seems to me to be the only choice as it is a full circlet and easy and quick to take off and put on as we have seen with the late Queen in a video once. The other tiaras has to be fastened with hairpins and so on, and I imagine they dont want that in the ceremony.

I wish Camilla wore the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara. Would it be nice

I wish Camilla wore the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara. Would it be nice

It's a beautiful tiara but I hope Camilla doesn't wear it because for me, the Girls is QE2 and it's too soon to see anyone else in it. I hope Camilla leaves it waiting for Catherine.

But is the GGB&I tiara reserved for Queens?

No. The only tiara expressly reserved for Queens (not counting the George IV State Diadem) is the ruby Oriental Circlet left to "the Crown" by Queen Victoria. Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother kept it instead of passing it to her daughter as she should have done. After her mother's death Elizabeth II only wore the tiara once.

All the other tiaras are the personal property of the monarch, who is free to loan them to anyone they choose. We'll have to see if the vault opens up a bit.

No. The only tiara expressly reserved for Queens (not counting the George IV State Diadem) is the ruby Oriental Circlet left to "the Crown" by Queen Victoria. Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother kept it instead of passing it to her daughter as she should have done. After her mother's death Elizabeth II only wore the tiara once.

All the other tiaras are the personal property of the monarch, who is free to loan them to anyone they choose. We'll have to see if the vault opens up a bit.

But "reserved to the Crown" is not the same as "to be worn by the Queen" only. For me it means it can not be distributed to the likes of the Kents, the Gloucesters, the Sussexes, it must remain in the main line. The example of the ruby oriental circlet diadem, for decades worn by the grandmother of King Charles, shows it.

The King George IV's State Diadem is hard to imagine to be worn by anyone else than the Queen, but maybe even that sparkling jewel is not absolutely, somewhere by Royal Command, reserved for Queens only. It has grown to be most important and most regal diadem and we may assume really only the Queen will ever wear it: but maybe even, strictly spoken, that is no Law cast in iron.

Last edited:

Here is a picture of the then Princess Elizabeth wearing the tiara in 1951. Clearly , she used the tiara before she became Queen.

No. It was personally owned by QE2, having received it from Queen Mary as a wedding present. It is probably owned by the King now.

No. It was personally owned by QE2, having received it from Queen Mary as a wedding present. It is probably owned by the King now.

Yes, The King received all of his mother's estate* - which is standard practice to keep the inheritance intact.

* with the possible exception of token pieces

Yes, The King received all of his mother's estate* - which is standard practice to keep the inheritance intact.

* with the possible exception of token pieces

Whist the monarch to monarch transfer is the working assumption, I haven't seen a public announcement or confirmation from the Palace as such. Have you?

Whist the monarch to monarch transfer is the working assumption, I haven't seen a public announcement or confirmation from the Palace as such. Have you?

Of course not. And we never will.

So we are about a week from the UK state visit to France, followed shortly by the SV to Germany.

Thinking of what jewellery Camilla might choose to wear, I am a little conflicted, especially as it probably needs to match (or at least not clash) with the Garter sash. This assumes that she does not get a French or a German order and sash.

If it is the Garter sash that she wears, choices could involve wearing:

> Diamonds: The Greville Boucheron tiara, or the Queen Alexandra Kokoshnik (we live in hope!), paired with the Queen Mother collet necklace used previously by Camilla, or if we really get lucky, the 3 string collet necklace used by QE2. Another potential necklace may be the Greville Festoon necdklace, in three string form only.

> Pearls: The GD Vladimir tiara. Not quite sure what necklace she might use, as the Queen Alexamdra wedding demi-parure necklace has already been used by Catherine once for the Dutch state banquet. Perhaps the Queen Victoria jubilee neckace?

>Sapphires: The Belgian necklace tiara and the George VI sapphire and diamond demi-parure.

If she is willing to wear jewellery contrasting with the Garter sash, we may get to see some of the following:

>Rubies: The Oriental Circlet and the Crown Rubies demi-parure.

> Emeralds: GD Vladimir tiara with emerald drops, and the Greville emerald and diamond necklace previously used by QEQM. Might also be a good setting to wear the Godman necklace.

Last edited:
Even if she gets the german order of Merit which i think is very likely she will have no opportunity to wear the sash

Even if she gets the german order of Merit which i think is very likely she will have no opportunity to wear the sash

The German Order is red, is it not?

If she receives it on Day 1 of the German visit, she may get to wear the sash that very evening. That is usually the practice.

The German Order is red, is it not?

If she receives it on Day 1 of the German visit, she may get to wear the sash that very evening. That is usually the practice.

The sash of the german Order of Merit is red with black and golden stripes on the sides. But as State Banquets in Germany are balck tie and not white tie it is usually not worn at them. The only one who did it was 'Queen Elizabeth II. in 2015. However in 21004 she didn't. Sometimes the minatur is worn but not always.

The sash of the german Order of Merit is red with black and golden stripes on the sides. But as State Banquets in Germany are balck tie and not white tie it is usually not worn at them. The only one who did it was 'Queen Elizabeth II. in 2015. However in 21004 she didn't. Sometimes the minatur is worn but not always.

Very fair point. Remains to be seen if Camilla chooses to wear a sash or not in Germany.

As the state banquets in France haven’t been tiara-occassions for ages (with the only exception of QEII) i don’t dare to guess any tiara there….. However i would love to see Camilla wear the Godman Emerald Necklace with or without a tiara… QEII wore it during President Mitterands State Visit to UK in 1984 (with the GD Vladimir Tiara with emeralds) and to the celebration of the centenary of the Entente Cordiale in 2004 with President Chirac at Windsor Castle (without a tiara)

In Germany i would love to see her finally debut the Teck Crescent Tiara… Or even better the Teck Circle Tiara if that one isn’t with the Snowdon’s

As the state banquets in France haven’t been tiara-occassions for ages (with the only exception of QEII) i don’t dare to guess any tiara there

Fair point, though I am unsure of how many of those black tie state dinners have been at Versailles.

However i would love to see Camilla wear the Godman Emerald Necklace with or without a tiara… QEII wore it during President Mitterands State Visit to UK in 1984 (with the GD Vladimir Tiara with emeralds) and to the celebration of the centenary of the Entente Cordiale in 2004 with President Chirac at Windsor Castle (without a tiara)

You are right, the Godman necklace would be lovely on Camilla.

In Germany i would love to see her finally debut the Teck Crescent Tiara… Or even better the Teck Circle Tiara if that one isn’t with the Snowdon’s

No disrepsect, but I really hope not! If a new-to-Camilla diamond tiara is to emerge, I am hoping for the mighty Kokoshnik.

I wouldn’t protest if she would arrive to Schloss Bellevue in the mighty Queen Alexandra’s Kokoshnik Tiara - but personally i think that one will be left until a full white tie dinner when all the bells and whistles are being brought out

I can see Camilla debuting the Oriental Circlet Tiara - it is a historic piece but not heavily associated with the late Queen. Maybe in Germany?

I can see Camilla debuting the Oriental Circlet Tiara - it is a historic piece but not heavily associated with the late Queen. Maybe in Germany?

Oh I hope so. That’s one of my favorites in the collection and it needs to be seen more.

Back
Top Bottom