Tiaras and Jewels for the Next Generation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Uk many of the Jewels are prvately owned by Queen Elizabeth II. So if she wanted she could also leave some of them to Abnne, Andrew and Edward or to her other ghrandchildren and not all of them to Charles. I think they best she could do wioth them would put them all in a Family foundation and give out loans from it.
[...]

Yes, but it is to be expected that she leaves most of it to Charles, because the others would face huge taxes, right? It's her private property, but I think she understands the historical importance from a lot of pieces in her collection. I sincerely hope she will leave almost everything to Charles, which I believe she will (=> she loans pieces to family members, she does not give them away, so I think this is a sign that she wants to keep te collection complete).

As for the other Royal houses, the future for the Norwegian jewels is looking very good IMO (the main pieces will stay with the main line for MM en later for IA).
The Spanish Jewel Future is looking bad, since I doubt Queen Sofia will give everything to her daughter in law. I perfectly see her giving (almost) everything to her two daughters who don't need jewels at all and will probably sell everyting. If I understand Stefan correctly, it is possible that the Cartier Loop tiara and the Cartier Pearl and Diamond tiara will stay with the main line. That would be at least something. It would be nice if the Prussian tiara would go to Letizia, since it is her wedding tiara. The Prussian and both Mellerio tiaras seem to be Queen Sofia's personal property, so I really hope she will be smart enough to keep them in the main line.

I hope Queen Margrethe will leave the Baden Palmette and the Aigrette to F&M. It would be nice if princess Benedikte's jewels will return to the vaults, although I highly doubt that too. It's a pity though.

18th birthday tiara

in 3 - 5 years three heirs to european thrones will be 18 years old princesses (the duchess of brabant , the princess of orange and princess ingrid alexandra) will the tradition of giving a tiara at the princesses 18th birthday continue ? will they get a new purchase or they gonna be handed a piece that is already in the family ? will younger princesses like Princess Eléonore of belgium ,princess isabella of denmark , princess josephine of denmark, princess Alexia of the netherlands , princess Ariane of the netherlands and princess leonore of sweden get one also ?!

Last edited:
Leonor, estelle and any female cousins I'd say no. The Swedush royals have an abundance of tiaras. They are shared among the woman. If they need small starter, Victoria and Madeleine's starter tiaras can be worn by their daughters. Victoria has three personal tiaras in her starter, the laurel, and an unseen one mentioned in Lilian's will having been left to her.

Mary has several personal tiaras. When she us queen they will be free for the use of her daughters and daughter in laws. Perhaps a fourth one will be purchased so they all have one (two girls and two wives).

Belgium is really the only one there is much call for a new one. They have so few. I do hope Paola will leave her other jewels to her daughter but the tiara she does have back to the main line. Elizabeth should wear her namesakes tiara.

I for one hope that Victorias birthday tiara have been buried somewhere. Its absolutely horrific!

I don't think that Victoria's tiara has been seen out again, or am i mistaken?

In the Netherlands and in Sweden the most important royal jewelry is placed into Foundations to preserve it for breaking-up and fragmentating. My guess is that in Sweden and the Netherlands "the first diadem" for Princess Estelle respectively Princess Amalia wil just be one of the many jewels stacked in the two collections.

By my knowledge Princess Beatrix was the first to be seen with the laurel wreath diadem on her 18th birthday but has since been worn by other ladies of the royal family so -after a few years of exclusive use- her sisters were seen with this as well.

Beatrix as first: Picture.

in 3 - 5 years three heirs to european thrones will be 18 years old princesses (the duchess of brabant , the princess of orange and princess ingrid alexandra) will the tradition of giving a tiara at the princesses 18th birthday continue ? will they get a new purchase or they gonna be handed a piece that is already in the family ? will younger princesses like Princess Eléonore of belgium ,princess isabella of denmark , princess josephine of denmark, princess Alexia of the netherlands , princess Ariane of the netherlands and princess leonore of sweden get one also ?!

I expect Ingrid Alexandra to get an 18th birthday tiara considering that her aunt got one when she turned 18. I am not sure about Dutch practice though. Did Princess Beatrix and her sisters get birthday tiaras when they came of age ? In any case, Amalia will have plenty of tiaras to choose from in the Orange-Nassau collection if she doesn't get a new one.

On the other hand, I don't expect the Duchess of Brabant to get a new 18th birthday tiara unless it is presented to her by the "people of Belgium", which is highly unlikely these days. She might start wearing her mother's Laurel Wreath wedding gift tiara though. Queen Elisabeth's art deco tiara will probably stay with Princess Astrid and, in any case, it is too big for the Duchess of Brabant to wear while she is still a teenager.

Last edited:
my premises for the dutch princesses is on the fact that maxima is a well known jewellery lover and have been buying new pieces for years more than the fact that beatrix got a tiara on her 18th birthday .
as for the the Duchess of Brabant her mother as do crown princess mary also lately both are building up a collection mary has just bought a tiara/necklace and mathilde just wore two new diamond brooches in denmark so if the belgian royal family want to add a new tiara to their collection that would be a great opportunity to buy a one without much public criticism if there would be any at all .

my premises for the dutch princesses is on the fact that maxima is a well known jewellery lover and have been buying new pieces for years .

I can just picture Maxima jumping out a car and running towards a jewelry store saying, "Sorry- couldn't resist! It's for the girls!"

Here are my predictions for future 18th birthday tiaras:

Elisabeth: Wolfers Tiara
Ingrid Alexandra: Diamond Daisy Tiara
Catharina-Amaila: Rose Cut Tiara
Leonor: Mellerio Floral Tiara
Isabella: Mary's Wedding Tiara
Estelle: Victoria's 18th Birthday Tiara
Charlotte: Scroll tiara
Leonore: Madeleine's 18th birthday tiara

Last edited:
The Dutch have so many small tiaras which are appropriate for young Princesses, and they have a tradition of sharing their jewels. So I don't expect anything new to be bought for any of them. I guess that the first tiaras will be something like the small version of the antique pearl tiara, the emerald tiara with pearls, or the laurel tiara.

Belgium is more complicated, they only have a small collection and not much of a tradition for sharing. Maybe the Duchess of Brabant will get the laurel tiara. But her younger sister will probably need a new one.

Spain? Nothing new, I bet. Probably they will start with the Prussian tiara and later start sharing the Prussian and floral tiara.

Princess Ingrid Alexandra will be very interesting to see. CP Mette-Merit seems too fond of her bandeau to give it up for her daughter. The diamond tiara of Queen Maud seems a bit big for a starter. Märtha-Louise received a new tiara, but since IA is the heir, they might want to give her an heirloom tiara. I'm really curious!

Perhaps Princess Elisabteh will get a new tiara from the belgian nobility like her mother did for her Wedding. As for Norway a nice starter tiara for Princess Ingrid Alexandra would be the Vasa tiara but this one is still with Princess Astrid so i think it is not very likely.
I agree that in the Netherlands there will probably be no new tiaras and that they will probbly start with the laurel wreath tiara or the aqumarine tiara or something like this.
In Spain my ghuess is the prussian tiara and the floral wreath tiara as starter tiaras but that will be hard for Letizia to give up the floral wreath tiara.
I also think in Sweden tehre will be now new tiaras and poor Estlle will prbably have to make with her mother's 18th birthday tiara. Let's hope they will give it a redesign. And for Leonore i think she will probably not attend much tiara Events apart from Family occasions.

I hope Leonore will wear her mothers wedding tiara and the aquamarine kokoshnik tiara on a regular basis.

With some good luck, Leonore might attend the Nobels together with the rest of the family. It's still a long time till she's old enough to attend, so it's difficult to say how the tiara events will develop. But I'd be very astonished if she were ever to attend state banquets.

I wonder what the Danes will do. Maybe CP Mary will give/loan her tiaras to her daughters, maybe they get their own. My secret hope is that they will buy Queen Alexandrine's diamond bandeau from Princess Elisabeth. That tiara would be a perfect starter.

With some good luck, Leonore might attend the Nobels together with the rest of the family. It's still a long time till she's old enough to attend, so it's difficult to say how the tiara events will develop. But I'd be very astonished if she were ever to attend state banquets.

I wonder what the Danes will do. Maybe CP Mary will give/loan her tiaras to her daughters, maybe they get their own. My secret hope is that they will buy Queen Alexandrine's diamond bandeau from Princess Elisabeth. That tiara would be a perfect starter.

I don't see Leonore attending the Nobels. In fact, I am not even sure Madeleine will attend after Victoria becomes queen.

Leonore is currently 7th in the line of succession and about to fall to 8th when CP's second child is born. Furthermore, it is still possible that both Leonore and Nicolas might lose their HRH status if they don't move back to Sweden on a permanent basis by the time they start primary school. The Royal Family will be already crowded in the future with Victoria and CP both having at least two children each, and, accordingly, I really don't expect Leonore to attend many royal functions other than family events like weddings or funerals, especially if she lives overseas. She will still need a tiara for the latter though, but could borrow one from the Bernadotte foundation as King Carl Gustaf's sisters often do.

Last edited:
:previous: Based on? :ermm:

The swedish royals show up in large numbers for events like the nobels. We see countess Bernadottes attending the Nobels. They aren't even in the line of succession. As the niece of the queen, even if eighth or ninth in line for the throne, Leonor is a lot closer to the throne then many who attend now. Even if she loses her HRH. Madeleine has also said they are looking on a move.

I don't see Madeleine stopping even when her sister is queen. And I'd not be surprised if Leonor didn't attend some.

But as the royal women, even the crown princess, generally shares tiaras, it is highly unlikely even Estelle would get a new Tiara.

The swedish royals show up in large numbers for events like the nobels. We see countess Bernadottes attending the Nobels. They aren't even in the line of succession. As the niece of the queen, even if eighth or ninth in line for the throne, Leonor is a lot closer to the throne then many who attend now. Even if she loses her HRH. Madeleine has also said they are looking on a move.

I don't see Madeleine stopping even when her sister is queen. And I'd not be surprised if Leonor didn't attend some.

But as the royal women, even the crown princess, generally shares tiaras, it is highly unlikely even Estelle would get a new Tiara.
Unless the rumours about Countess Estelles tiara being bought back are true ( Im still hoping)

Countess Bettina Bernadotte is always invited to the Nobel Prize ceremony because she is the president of the Council for the Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings and member of the Board of the Foundation Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings. Count Björn Bernadotte attended in 2009 and he is also involved in Lindau Nobel Laureate Meetings. Countess Marianne Bernadotte can have been invited in 2012 because she is a relative of the king, but also because of her widely known work at charity organizations. Princess Christina has attended at the Nobel Prize ceremonies, she is the Honorary Chairman/Member of many Royal Academies and organizations and varions charity associations.

I hope Isabella and Josephine will wear their mother's wedding tiara and necklace tiara on a regular basis. Same thing goes for the ruby tiara but I doubt it. As for Charlotte I think she will wear the scroll tiara, Marys fringe tiara, and the Lotus tiara. Would love if she wore the Cambridge Pearl tiara but, again, I doubt it. My wish is to see her in tiaras we have have not seen in along time like the Strathmore tiara, the Teck Moon tiara, and Margaret's turquoise tiara.

Last edited:
I hope Isabella and Josephine will wear their mother's wedding tiara and necklace tiara on a regular basis. Same thing goes for the ruby tiara but I doubt it.

If Queen Ingrid's will is kept for future generations, then the ruby parure will be reserved for the crown princess. In other words, after Mary becomes queen, it will pass down to Christian's future wife.

Queen Ingrid left her ruby parure to Frederik, who happened to get married after Queen Ingrid's passing. Had she lived to see the wedding, she'd probably kept the rubies till her death, for Mary to wear it afterwards. I don't see that Mary is bound to give them to Christian's wife during her lifetime. Time will show, but I think that Mary will continue to wear it for life.

But it will be interesting to see, if the next generation of Danish Royals will adopt tiara sharing, or if the will continue to set aside specific tiaras for personal use only. Personally, I hope to see some sharing. Mary's wedding tiara, her new ruby-spinel tiara and the turquoise bandeau will make nice tiaras for the young generation, imo.

I wish more handled tiaras like the Swedish. It makes sense to have tiaras that belong to just the queen and the rest shared. Yes, there are the rare private owned, but the majority can be worn by any.

It would be great if the Danes and others did this. Especially the Belgians who have so few. Leave the historical pieces, like Elizabeth's bandeau, in the main line. Paola could wear it till she died, but keep it where it belongs. All royals have plenty of personal jewels to leave to other kids. Keep the tiaras where needed.

Ingrid wore the rubies until she died because she was no longer queen. Mary will have access to the tiaras the queen wears, when she is queen. It's not unthinkable to believe her tiaras will be worn by her daughters and daughter in laws. It also seems likely that a historical piece would be given to the future crown princess to wear, while personal pieces like her wedding, be worn by her daughters.

For Amalia, Alexia, and Ariane, I think they will share a variety of tiaras. I can picture them wearing the aquamarine tiara, the Antique pearl tiara, the sapphire necklace tiara, and the Dutch emerald/pearl tiaras on a regular basis. Maybe their mothers wedding tiara as well. I hope they will wear the laurel wreath tiara, as their mother as never worn it. As for wedding tiaras, I predict Amalia will wear the large pearl tiara like Beatrix. For Alexia and Ariane, I think they will wear any of the other tiaras that I mentioned.

Updated list 2017-06-28

so the list of girls that will probably wear tiaras and other jewelry at the age of 18 is

Princess Iman of Jordan
Princess Salma of Jordan
Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant
Princess Eléonore of Belgium
Catharina-Amalia, Princess of Orange
Princess Alexia of The Netherlands
Princess Ariana of the Netherlands
Princess Ingrid-Alexandra of Norway
Leonor, Princess of Asturias
Infanta Sofia of Spain
Princess Isabella of Denmark
Princess Josephine of Denmark
Princess Aiko (Japan)
Princess Athena of denmark
Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland
Princess Leonore of Sweden, Duchess of Gotland
Princess Gabriella of Monaco
Princess Charlotte of Cambridge

Maybe tiaras at thier wedding and maybe other royal weddings and birthdays galas
Maud Angelica, Norway
Leah Isadora, Norway
Emma Tallula, Norway
Victoria Federica, Spain
Irene, Sapin
Maria-Olympia, Greace
Arrietta, Greace
Ana María, Greace
Amelia, Greace
Countess Luana, Netherlands
Countess Zaria, Netherlands
Countess Eloise, Netherlands
Countess Leonore, Netherlands
Princess Louise of Belgium
Lady Louise Windsor

Princes that later on get marrried and their wife will wear tiaras
Prince christian of Denmark
Prince Sverre Magnus of Norway
Prince Emanuel of Belgium
Prince Gabriel of Belgium
James, Viscount Severn
Prince Hashem of Jordan
Prince Nikolai of Denmark
Prince Felix of Denmark
Prince Hisahito of Akishino (Japan)
Count Claus-Casimir, Netherlands
Prince Henrik of Denmark
Prince Nicolas of Belgium
Prince Aymeric of Belgium
Prince George of Cambridge
Prince Jacques of Monaco
Prince Nicolas of Sweden
Prince Oscar of Sweden
Prince Alexander of Sweden

Princes that are older and will get married a bit sonner then the kids
Prince Harry of Wales
Prince Phillipos, Greece
Prince Sebastian of Luxemburg
Prince Hussein of Jordan

Older princesses, likely to wear tiara at thier wedding
Princess Beatrice of York
Princess Eugenie of York

Last edited:
And the Gloucester , The Duke Prince Michael Princess Alexandra 's jewels for their Children ?

Princess Aiko of Japan will receive a tiara for her 20th birthday per Imperial custom.

I hope Charlotte will attend tiara events on a regular basis. I hope she will wear the Strathmore rose tiara. I doubt she will wear the lovers knot tiara, even though I hope she will .

Updated list 2017-08-31

so the list of girls that will probably wear tiaras and other jewelry at the age of 18 is

Princess Iman of Jordan
Princess Salma of Jordan
Infanta Sofia of Spain
Princess Aiko (Japan)

Maybe tiaras at thier wedding and maybe other royal weddings and birthdays galas
Maud Angelica, Norway
Leah Isadora, Norway
Emma Tallula, Norway
Victoria Federica, Spain
Irene, Sapin
Maria-Olympia, Greace
Arrietta, Greace
Ana María, Greace
Amelia, Greace
Lady Louise Windsor

Princes that later on get marrried and their wife will wear tiaras
James, Viscount Severn
Prince Hashem of Jordan
Prince Felix of Denmark
Prince Henrik of Denmark
Prince Jacques of Monaco
Prince Nicolas of Sweden
Prince Oscar of Sweden
Prince X of Sweden

Prince Harry of Wales
Prince Phillipos, Greece
Prince Hussein of Jordan

Princess Eugenie of York

Updated list 2017-10-10

Princess Iman of Jordan
Princess Salma of Jordan
Infanta Sofia of Spain
Princess Aiko (Japan)

Maud Angelica, Norway
Leah Isadora, Norway
Emma Tallula, Norway
Victoria Federica, Spain
Irene, Sapin
Maria-Olympia, Greace
Arrietta, Greace
Ana María, Greace
Amelia, Greace
Lady Louise Windsor

Princes that later on get married and their wife will wear tiaras
James, Viscount Severn
Prince Hashem of Jordan
Prince Felix of Denmark
Prince Henrik of Denmark
Prince Jacques of Monaco
Prince Nicolas of Sweden
Prince Oscar of Sweden

Prince Gabriel of Sweden

Prince Harry of Wales
Prince Phillipos, Greece
Prince Hussein of Jordan

Princess Eugenie of York

Since the little "Parma princesses" Luisa and Cecilia recently got a title (marchioness and countess) i would assume that they will wear a tiara at some point in their lives...the family seems to take the traditional royal route..

Back
Top Bottom