Catherine Middleton's Wedding Tiara: Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Tiara will Catherine wear on her Wedding Day?

• The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Votes: 19 11.5%
  • The Queen Mother's Scroll Tiara

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • The Strathmore Rose Tiara

Votes: 51 30.9%
  • The Spencer Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • The Fringe Tiara (aka George III Fringe Tiara)

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • The Rundell Diamond Tiara

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Something that has been hidden in the Vaults!

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • The Middletons will buy her a new one

• Nothing. She will either wear a jewelry clip or flowers in her hair.

• None of the Above

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies, ladies! If she does choose to wear her hair down, I'm sure that decision will be made in consideration of the style of her dress and veil AND whatever tiara she is to wear. She has a lovely and understated sense of style -- and therefore it all will be gorgeous AND in the best of taste. She has a great deal in common with the lovely Mary who seldom puts a foot wrong. It will be a joy to watch her expand her fashion repertoire over the next few years.

I shall be furious if Catherine Middleton gets rubbish like what Sophie Wessex got. Indeed, I hope she gets beautiful ice, whether bought like Sarah Ferguson's stuff or inherited from the Queen. In fact, the Queen has a beautiful tiara that she never wears because she wears the central motif as a pin. So, Lilibet could wear one less brooch and Catherine could have that tiara! Also, I am looking forward very much to seeing Princess Catherine wearing Princess Diana's rocks.

I felt really sorry for Sophie when I saw her tiara and necklace on her wedding day. She deserves better then and now.

You are rigth about the Rundell tiara, we don't know what happened to it. It might be still there, it also might have been dismantled in order to create other pieces. But the same goes for the Surrey and Ladies of England tiaras. We just don't know:sad:.
I have heard the same about the Strathmore Rose tiara. If it is true than I would say that now is the time for a decent restoration. It would be such a shame to let this beautiful tiara fall to pieces.

I really doubt that the Rundell was dismantled. It was a wedding gift to Queen Alexandra from her husband and Queen Mary made sure that all QA's wedding gift jewels were kept in the main royal line so I cannot see that she would have dismantled a piece after going to so much trouble to retain it.

I really doubt that the Rundell was dismantled. It was a wedding gift to Queen Alexandra from her husband and Queen Mary made sure that all QA's wedding gift jewels were kept in the main royal line so I cannot see that she would have dismantled a piece after going to so much trouble to retain it.
I don't think that it has been dismantled either. In fact has anyone mentioned the rundell tiara with the stars on it for Kate to wear at the wedding? Do you all know what I am talking about?

I felt really sorry for Sophie when I saw her tiara and necklace on her wedding day. She deserves better then and now.
I actually loved Sophie's wedding tiara ;)

I actually loved Sophie's wedding tiara ;)
I'm afraid your in the minority. It is ok, I guess. to me it looks like a bunch of clips attached to a frame that don't quite match (or fit together for that matter). I suppose if you take into account their historical connection, it would lessen the disappointment of being given use of it. still....... couldn't she have had a real one instead of a thrown together piece?

I like to think it hasn't been dismantled, but you never know. Queen Mary did go to all that trouble to make sure it was in her possession, but that may be because the diamonds in the Rundell were priceless (speculation on my part).

Ladies, ladies! If she does choose to wear her hair down, I'm sure that decision will be made in consideration of the style of her dress and veil AND whatever tiara she is to wear. She has a lovely and understated sense of style -- and therefore it all will be gorgeous AND in the best of taste. She has a great deal in common with the lovely Mary who seldom puts a foot wrong. It will be a joy to watch her expand her fashion repertoire over the next few years.

QEQM and QEII both wore their hair down at their weddings, as did Diana and Sarah and the world did not come to an end. I personally wore mine down and in hindight so wish that I had a classic up-do now....and sadly I didnt have a Royal House Tiara either...*sobbing*

Or maybe a new one her parents bought her as a gift- that might be nice
If my daughter were marrrying PW, I would tend to think that the tiara aspect was covered. And frankly, unless the father and mother were Howard Hughes, nothing they could purchase would rate. And can you imagine the beating in the press that the Middletons would take about buying her a tiara in this recession when QEII will certainly gift her with one.

scooter said:
If my daughter were marrrying PW, I would tend to think that the tiara aspect was covered. And frankly, unless the father and mother were Howard Hughes, nothing they could purchase would rate. And can you imagine the beating in the press that the Middletons would take about buying her a tiara in this recession when QEII will certainly gift her with one.

True, true but didn't the Queen Mothers parents buy her wedding tiara for her so it could happen.... But I see your point about taking a beating in the press.

True, true but didn't the Queen Mothers parents buy her wedding tiara for her so it could happen.... But I see your point about taking a beating in the press.
But The Queen Mother's parents were nobility and lived in an era when purchasing tiaras for their marrying daughters was the most normal thing to do for rich people. Nearly a century later it can't be done anymore. The Middletons already get tons of critisism for all kinds of things. For their daughter's sake they should better avoid this kind of foottrap.

I shall be furious if Catherine Middleton gets rubbish like what Sophie Wessex got. Indeed, I hope she gets beautiful ice, whether bought like Sarah Ferguson's stuff or inherited from the Queen. In fact, the Queen has a beautiful tiara that she never wears because she wears the central motif as a pin. So, Lilibet could wear one less brooch and Catherine could have that tiara! Also, I am looking forward very much to seeing Princess Catherine wearing Princess Diana's rocks.
I think you are talking about the Nizam of Hyderabat Tiara? The three flower motives from the tiara are sometimes worn as a brooches.
Unfortunately it is by now way certain that the rest of the tiara still exists. According to my notes Field says in her book that the tiara was broken up and the stones used for the Burmese Ruby Tiara. (I don't have the book, so I must rely on the things I read on the internet.)
Other people claim that according to Munn the tiara is still intact. But Munn only mentions it in one short sentence: "There is also a tiara in bandeau form that was a wedding gift from the Nizam of Hydereabad." (Munn, p. 165) He uses the word "is" instead of "was", but is that sufficiant proof that the tiara still exists? If the author really had some knowledge of it's existance, wouldn't he have written more than this short sentence?
As much as I would like to see the Nizam tiara on Catherine, I am by now means convinced that this is possible.

We are assuming the Queen will gift her one. She may not. How about a jeweled hair pin instead? Just not something that belonged to Diana. She already got the ring and look at the controversy that caused.

I'm afraid your in the minority. It is ok, I guess. to me it looks like a bunch of clips attached to a frame that don't quite match (or fit together for that matter). I suppose if you take into account their historical connection, it would lessen the disappointment of being given use of it. still....... couldn't she have had a real one instead of a thrown together piece?
I just found Sophie's very graceful instead, but I'm certainly not a connoisseur of Royal Tiaras ;) I just saw the ones that are posted here, and thought hers was among my favorites. Back on topic now, sorry for the digression :whistling:

Has anyone any ideas on what tiara, if any, Catherine will wear on her wedding day? I've read the Strathmore Rose tiara worn by QEQM was a possibility as is the Teck Rose tiara. Is there any possibility she might wear 'the other' spencer tiara? i think its called the honeysuckle spencer tiara, or is there a tradition that the tiara will come from QEII's royal collection?

Sophie's tiara, while not classically attractive, is by no means an insignificant piece of rubbish. Her tiara is actually comprised from Queen Victoria's Regal Circlet--which means it was fashioned out of a very significant piece of royal history. Certainly, it could have been created into a more symmetrical piece and perhaps not had the funky central look--but while it is not my favorite tiara at all in terms of appearance, I do love that Queen Elizabeth II apparently felt close enough to Sophie to allow this tiara to be made. HM is not exactly known for sharing jewels and gifting pieces, is she? Which brings me to my second point--I do believe the Nizam tiara to still be in existence for two distinct reasons. One, Munn says it is. I believe him because he had amazing access to the actual jewels themselves whereas Field and Menckes have made enough errors in their books for me to question a claim that Munn contradicts. Two, QEII has not, with the exception of those hideous aquamarines, broken up or redone a piece dramatically. She did have her sapphire necklace shortened and pendant created from the link that was removed--but I find it most difficult to believe she would dismantle a wedding gift when she is always very courteous about wearing pieces given to her by countries. She still wears the necklace and obviously loves the brooches but I find it hard to believe she would dismantle the tiara and keep the necklace. Also, without the stones from the brooches, how many diamonds would she really get from the piece? I think she would have considered it impractical to break up a set of jewelry that was a gift--she would think it rude.

Has anyone any ideas on what tiara, if any, Catherine will wear on her wedding day? I've read the Strathmore Rose tiara worn by QEQM was a possibility as is the Teck Rose tiara. Is there any possibility she might wear 'the other' spencer tiara? i think its called the honeysuckle spencer tiara, or is there a tradition that the tiara will come from QEII's royal collection?

I think that the strathmore tiara wouldn't work on Kate because she is too tall. The tiara is quite delicate and was better suited for someone of the Queen Mother's build as she was around 5 feet tall. Also I think the tiara would get lost in Kate's hair. I do feel she will wear it down on her wedding day.

As for the other spencer tiara I would imagine they are reserved for the spencers. It might be a good idea for Kate to have the option of a newer or lesser seen piece in the royal collection so that she can put her own stamp on things. Besides there was a lot of controversy about that ring can you imagine how bad it would be if she wore one of the tiaras associated with Diana's family.

I rather hope your right 99. The Nizam of Hyderbad tiara is one of my all time favourite tiaras and if it made a comeback I would be one happy fish!

Please see my post #342 above.
The Royal Magazine site obviously refers to the information by Leslie Field in "The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II" (1992).
I disagree that Munn said the Nizam tiara is still intact. Basically he only says that it was a wedding present. If he had had access to more detailed information, he would have have gone more into detail, imo.
Nevertheless I dearly hope that Leslie Field was wrong and that this tiara is still there for Kate. It would be a very nice choice for her.

Other people claim that according to Munn the tiara is still intact. But Munn only mentions it in one short sentence: "There is also a tiara in bandeau form that was a wedding gift from the Nizam of Hydereabad." (Munn, p. 165) He uses the word "is" instead of "was", but is that sufficiant proof that the tiara still exists? If the author really had some knowledge of it's existance, wouldn't he have written more than this short sentence?

Geoffrey Munn had unprecedented access to the collections of HM The Queen, HM The Queen Mother, HRH The Princess Royal & HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon. With this type of access he would have probably the best knowlege outside Buckingham Palace of what is in the Jewel Vault. I dont think the word "is" was an accident.

Geoffrey Munn had unprecedented access to the collections of HM The Queen, HM The Queen Mother, HRH The Princess Royal & HRH The Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon. With this type of access he would have probably the best knowlege outside Buckingham Palace of what is in the Jewel Vault. I dont think the word "is" was an accident.
I hope you are right, because I would really like to see the Nizam tiara again. But I still think that it is an open case, it might be either way.

I agree, the word "is" says a lot but you would also think that such a big and significant tiara would have gotten more mention then just a mere sentence. I do really hope its intact.

I totally agree with you. I thought that "tiara" was an insult to Sophie.
...it might be possible to change the City of London fringe necklace so that it can be worn as a tiara.
The fringe necklace, which goes back at least to Queen Victoria, makes a terrible tiara. Indeed, both the Queen and Princess Anne wore it at their Westminster Abbey weddings and it looked awful both times.
Camilla is the perfect person to wear QE QM's jewels.
Camilla looks better in the Cartier tiara than the Queen Mum did because Camilla has a longer face than the Queen Mum's round face.
Other people claim that according to Munn the tiara is still intact.
I hope that Mr. Munn is right and that the tiara, photographed on the Queen in the 1950s, still exists and that it is put back together and worn by Princess Catherine.
I also think that Princess Catherine would suit the fringe tiara that the Queen wears. The Hyderabad necklace would suit Catherine because she has big shoulders.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fringe necklace, which goes back at least to Queen Victoria, makes a terrible tiara. Indeed, both the Queen and Princess Anne wore it at their Westminster Abbey weddings and it looked awful both times.

THe City of London fringe necklace was a gift to Elizabeth when she married Prince Phillip and is threaded on silk, making it impossible to be worn as a tiara Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding

The fringe tiara worn by Elizabeth and Anne on their wedding days was made in 1919 by Garrad with diamonds which belonged to King George III as well as with diamonds from Mary's wedding tiara given to her by Queen Victoria. Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding

Here are my thoughts spelled out with updates inspired by interactions with this forum:

Aestheticus Rex: A Tale of Tiara's: What will the Queen bestow upon Kate Middleton?

Last edited:
THe City of London fringe necklace was a gift to Elizabeth when she married Prince Phillip and is threaded on silk, making it impossible to be worn as a tiara Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding

The fringe tiara worn by Elizabeth and Anne on their wedding days was made in 1919 by Garrad with diamonds which belonged to King George III as well as with diamonds from Mary's wedding tiara given to her by Queen Victoria. Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding
I know that the City of London fringe necklace is thread on silk and currently can't be worn as a tiara. My point was, that it is possible to make changes to the necklace and create a frame for it, so that it can be used as tiara in the future. And I'm not saying that this is a likely possibility.

I know that the City of London fringe necklace is thread on silk and currently can't be worn as a tiara. My point was, that it is possible to make changes to the necklace and create a frame for it, so that it can be used as tiara in the future. And I'm not saying that this is a likely possibility.

Well, as we learned from Queen Mary--anything is possible! The City of London fringe necklace is very lovely and I think it would make a nice tiara; I have never particularly cared for the George III fringe. It isn't as lovely as other fringes I've seen.

The Queen's fringe necklace could easily be modified and secured on a frame to make a tiara. Indeed, many fringe necklaces of this style were convertible to a tiara and used as both.

I doubt Catherine will receive a fringe tiara from the Royal Collection as her wedding piece. More likely, she will wear the Cambridge Lover's Knot as her wedding tiara.

So it looks like Hello! magazine has finally jumped on the bandwagon in trying predict a tiara for Miss Middleton. Unfortunately, the seemed to just rip off People magazine's list (and some of the pictures) and (horrors!) mislabeled the Grand Duchess Vladimir as the Cambridge lover's knot! I would have expected an American magazine to make mistakes like that but not one who follows the monarchy as closely as Hello! And like the People magazine spread, most of these pieces are very unlikely to be bestowed on Catherine given they already have frequent wearers.
Which royal tiara will Kate Middleton wear on her wedding day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom