Tiaras and Jewels Camilla might use as Queen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello Thomas,

I totally agree with you 100%.....

I am not a fan of Charles and Camilla but if and when they succeed to 'the top job', then they should be "King and Queen" together.
Since there is supposedly no such title as Prince Consort (even though Albert was awarded this) then there should be no Princess Consort... Period - end of story.

And, since this is a jewel thread, let me bring all this back on topic by saying:
If she's going to be Queen then she needs to wear all the accoutrement(s) - rubies, emeralds and diamonds...
Camilla does seem to be bringing out the big guns (jewels) on occasion and may prove a fine looking Queen.
I wonder what Kate Middleton will look like in all these Crown Jewels if she marries William?

Larry

Pearls and diamonds suit her best, imo. Though she scrubs up alright with emeralds aswell.

I dont think she'll wear the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland, but I think she'll wear the GDMP diamond loop diadem and the QA diamond kokoshnik.

Certainly Queen Victoria's diamond drop earrings, along with some lovely rivieres and that lovely cascading diamond waterfall brooch.

Also, QA pearl and diamond wedding suite.

The diamond honeycomb will, I'm sure, continue to remain a firm favourite, along with any other pieces of the late Queen Mother's estate which have been worn by the Duchess to date.

Dear Members,

I cannot agree with the idea of the Saudi ruby breastplace and the Burmese tiara. It seems to me that the necklace is just overdone. Even for my demented taste. It needs to be toned down. Maybe even another tiara concocted from some of the jewels. As for the Burmese tiara the rubies were formed into styalized roses. So I do not know how you could improve on that without redoing the whole ball of wax (now who in living memory has had the temerity to call a tiara of HM Queen Elizabeth II a ball of wax?). I think the swag necklace, if it is the one I am thinking of, is also a bit too heavy for the tiara. But in any case the thing is just simply gorgeous. After seeing the magnificent picture which the Noble and Long Suffering Warren posted of the Queen at the banquet with President Sarkozy, I positively glowed in the dark for days.

Give Camilla the titleof Queen, the honours and ALL of the jewels, I think after what she has suffered at the hands of the press, etc. She has earned them. Besides that scene in which she was wearing the aquamarine gown and the Greville (?) tiara should be enough to convince all and sundry that she can at least present the necessary magnificence when call upon to do so. Which is more than I can say about a lot of people. Cheers.

Camilla seems to have a real love of rubies - that humongous ruby and diamond necklace which was a gift was certainly designed with a LOT of input from both Camilla and Charles - even though it was a gift.
Camilla will be Queen - no doubt.
Do you think that Charles (when King) would stand for his precious Camilla (as a mere Duchess or Princess) to curtsey before other kings and queens? No way!

Sigh. Posts arguing about Camilla's title haven't been deleted because they "offend the Camilla fan club" as one member has put it. They have been deleted because this is a Royal JEWELS thread. Pretty simple really.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Sorry, Warren.
Getting back on the track of things, I never heard that Charles and Camilla gave a lot of design input for the "breastplate". Is that true? It doesn't seem to be her usual style and she's only worn it the one time (that I am able to recall)--

My post wasn't directed at you Janet.
There is a lot of supposition about the jewellery presented as gifts. There is nothing I have read which suggests that consultations take place beforehand. The nature of the gifts may well be a complete surprise.

I really believe that when Prince Charles becomes King (may it be far off yet) Camilla can wear whatever jewellery pleases her from the royal coffers. Who could possibly say no? I think she looks wonderful in a tiara and the older one gets the more jewellery one can/should wear (the young don´t really need as much but the older woman needs to provide a focus on something other than her wrinkles IMHO).

i totaly agree with you Menarue !
i remember the first picture of camilla with tiara , she was absolutly defferente!and all my intention was to the tiara!not to camilla !
also her laste visite to canada, she was wearingone of the queen mother wonderful tiara and the diamend necklace , she was really fantastic , she was majesty-camilla .

Last edited by a moderator:
There were also some jewels passed on 'through the crown' to the then PoW and later Edward VII, and still later Duke of WIndsor for use by 'his wife' (supposed but not specified as the Queen) which were gifted to the then Wallis Simpson, later known as Duchess of Windsor.

The Duke never gave Wallis any jewels that were designated as belonging to the Crown or worn by a Queen. His mother, Queen Mary, was still in possession of all the royal jewels and she had no intention of giving her son any chance of passing them on to Wallis.

Edward did possess privately a number of uncut rubies, emeralds, sapphires and diamonds that he had been given as private gifts from the Indian princes during tours of the Empire as Prince of Wales. It is believed many of these stones were later set by Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpel into jewels for Wallis.

I don't think the semantics of Camilla's title will have any bearing on which tiaras she will wear as her husband's consort on the throne. She will definitely wear many of those associated with the current queen and (I hope) dust off some forgotten pieces we haven't seen photographed in colour. ;-)

I highly doubt Camilla will feel it is appropriate to wear tiaras from the royal collection associated with her late mother-in-law if she is not crowned Queen. Even though Charles as The Sovereign can do as he pleases, it wouldn't be appropriate since she would be a morganatic wife as HRH The Princess Consort.

The Delhi Durbar and Boucheron tiaras are certainly sufficient.

I am getting a little tired of seeing the Boucheron tiara, and while I was excited to see the Delhi Durbar tiara, I would not be adverse to seeing a different tiara atop Camilla's royal head soon. I would like to see the sapphire bandeau of Marie Feodorovna's at some point.

I would like to see the sapphire bandeau of Marie Feodorovna's at some point.
We are of the same opinion, jcb. It's such a striking bandeau!

I would like to see the sapphire bandeau of Marie Feodorovna's at some point.
Getting back on track, the sapphire bandeau is quite a work of art. This is the best photograph of it I have seen and of course it doesn't do the tiara justice. However, it gives an idea of the sunburst patterning of the diamonds.
Here worn by Princess Margaret...

¤

• As an aside, could we please leave this thread free of further discussion of titles and morganatic marriages etc. There are threads in the British Forum to discuss these issues.

thanks,
Warren
Royal Jewels moderator​

Warren, I like that bandeau very much.

Although I think Camilla has the ability to wear the really big pieces like the Delhi Durbar tiara, I really don't like how they look on modern royals (even Queen Silvia, who has a positive gift for looking lovely all decked out). I think these big tiaras are too similar to the tiaras awarded to beauty queens like Miss Universe.

Warren, I like that bandeau very much.

Although I think Camilla has the ability to wear the really big pieces like the Delhi Durbar tiara, I really don't like how they look on modern royals (even Queen Silvia, who has a positive gift for looking lovely all decked out). I think these big tiaras are too similar to the tiaras awarded to beauty queens like Miss Universe.

Nicely said, IowaBelle! An illustration, perhaps:

http://www.missmaud.com.au/write/QueenLge.jpg although I have to say, the dress is stunning and the necklace, brooch excellent--I do think the tiara is a bit "high". It's beautiful--but I see your point, her tiaras are a bit grand in scale.

Moving back to Camilla and what she will one day wear, I am still holding out hope that the Nizm Tiara was not broken up; Munn says it was not (which makes sense to me--why take it apart but keep the brooches, which are the largest components, intact? And, she wore this piece a lot early on) and I would really like to see it again. I think it is really a lovely piece--it has a nice shape, looks easy to wear, etc...

I would like to see the bracelet Phillip gave Elizabeth remain in the Royal Collection Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding=

The Ruby necklace of Mrs. Greville's that was given to Elizabeth is something I think Camilla could wear well:
Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding

and of course, the stomacher:
Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding

Of course, any of these could easily end up elsewhere--with Edward, Andrew, or Anne. Queen Mary gave Princess Elizabeth many items which had been wedding gifts for her many years prior--but I would imagine that QEII would want to keep those in the collection. Presents from PHillip, however, could go either way. At the very least, the 3carat engagement ring, big diamond bracelet, and the bracelet with the "P's" and "E's" in it. Anne already has the Greek Key tiara, which was from Phillip's side of the family--and she likes yellow gold so she could end up with the bracelet with E's and P's==I hope the big diamond bracelet remains in the Royal Collection.

I have no doubt that Camilla has the presence to wear the Greville ruby neckalce well. My only slight concern is that if HM decides to leave a substantial piece of jewellery to each of her younger children, then the Greville ruby necklace could be a contender, as it really does not have much of a royal provenance. Does anybody remember when the Queen may have last worn it?

Also, is any one aware of many instances when HM could have worn Queen Mary's stomacher? The only time I have seen her with it on was at formal evening event at Windsor at the time of HMs golden jubilee celebrations.

The jubilee celebrations were in 2002, and I am not mistaken, the picture on the weblink is from the jubilee celebrsations.

I agree that the dress was probably not the most suitable for use with the stomacher, and a more plain dress would have allowed the stones and the workmanship to be better displayed.

I will confess I'm looking forward to seeing Camilla in the Order of the Garter!

Another piece I think she would wear beautifully is the Dagmar necklace of Queen Alexandra's: Royal Collection - The Dagmar Necklace

and of course, The Oriental Circlet: Royal Collection - The Oriental Circlet

but, not that Burmese Ruby tiara. Her Majesty can leave that to Sophie so we don't have to see it much again!! It looks like fireworks exploding on the head.

The Williamson brooch is truly spectacular, and I would hope to see Camilla wearing it one day: Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion

Yes leave it to Sophie and she can make the changes herself.

Yes leave it to Sophie and she can make the changes herself.

I am no fan of the Burmese ruby tiara, but still have no desire to see it go out of the "main" line. Camilla or William's wife can decide if they want to alter it. Sophie could probably do with a small diamond tiara that could be quite versatile, and befitting her position in the royal line up - HM would do well to let her have one within her life time.

Perhaps the scroll tiara or maybe Queen Mary's lozenge tiara for Sophie? Those are small, diamond tiaras but not ridiculously small (like Mette-Marit's tiara). In the meantime, the Rundell for Camilla!

Perhaps the scroll tiara or maybe Queen Mary's lozenge tiara for Sophie? Those are small, diamond tiaras but not ridiculously small (like Mette-Marit's tiara). In the meantime, the Rundell for Camilla!

Agree, on both counts, though I would prefer if HM got a new diamond tiara for Sophie.

Really? There are so many beautiful pieces that we have not seen for ages.

im so sorry because their are so many pieces of jewelry that they acquired over the many years that has never been worn or has never been seen for so long.
so i would love to see them worreb by my lovely duchess camilla .
i think camilla looks beautiful in big tiars ( me too i like the big tiaras )and i can not imagine her wearing a small one (maybe the tiara desappear in her hear )
this is a list of my prefere tiaras ,i wish to see them woren by camilla :
-http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/emeraldeyes1969/A04.jpg-
-http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/vickyandfritz/jewels/windsor jewels/State2520Diadem1.jpg.
-http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/Guinastasia/History/dresses3.jpg.
-http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f...windsor jewels/Russian20Kokoshnik20Tiara1.jpg.

-http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/vickyandfritz/jewels/windsor%-
-http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f282/vickyandfritz/jewels/windsor%

. . . . . . . but, not that Burmese Ruby tiara. Her Majesty can leave that to Sophie so we don't have to see it much again!! It looks like fireworks exploding on the head.
Ouch! That's a little harsh Janet! (Only because I love it paired with the ruby swag necklace) :wub: Sophie would be swamped by the sheer size of it all! :D

Ouch! That's a little harsh Janet! (Only because I love it paired with the ruby swag necklace) :wub: Sophie would be swamped by the sheer size of it all! :D

You do make an excellent point :ermm: so I must finally admit something that I've been holding back for several months--that Burmese tiara is beginning to grow on me. By no means is it one of my favorites at all---but from the right angle it is quite attractive. In fact, it is lovely (OMG I can't believe I said that!).
However, let's look at QEII's "new" tiaras since she came to the throne:
Nizm of Hyderabad tiara w/matching necklace (necklace is still intact, not sure about tiara)
Sapphire tiara
Burmese Ruby tiara
Aquamarine parue

Any others? So, the Queen has added four tiaras since she became Queen. Actually, that's pretty impressive. She had a strong hand in designing three of them as well (Ruby, Sapphire, Aquamarine). None of the three are my favorites design wise--but the aquamarine is dead last. But, it is a full parue. However, it was a gift from Brazil to the monarch and will thusly stay in the collection-as was the Nizm set.
Here is my question---I'm sure QEII will leave at least one of her independent making to the collection to leave her mark on the jewel legacy. As Andrew isn't married, and it doesn't look like he's getting married anytime soon, that leaves Edward--who by all accounts will be the Duke of Edinburg. He has an heir, so the title will continue to pass. I think they'll end up with some jewels more substantial than what they have right now. But, what tiara/sets are we looking at seeing Edward left?
It's a toss-up--the sapphires were a gift from QEII's father, so they're not royal. The rubies were a gift from another country (she just took them from a necklace and made the tiara). As much as I don't want to see anything pass--I think the sapphires will find their way to Edward.

Of course, we are talking about Camilla here. It would be shame to not see her in that GORGEOUS sapphire parue.

You do make an excellent point :ermm: so I must finally admit something that I've been holding back for several months--that Burmese tiara is beginning to grow on me. By no means is it one of my favorites at all---but from the right angle it is quite attractive. In fact, it is lovely (OMG I can't believe I said that!).
Far be it from me to crow over your slow, but inevitable, slide into "Burmese Beauty" or is that "Ruby Radiance"? :D

(Na, na, na, na, na. YeeeHa! Gotcha!) Sorry, that one got away from me! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom