Tiaras and Jewels Camilla might use as Queen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Camilla was very impressive in the Delhi Durbar tiara. Don't like the Boucheron tiara on her so much.

I do like the Delhi Durbar quite a bit, but I need to see Camilla wearing it again to decide if I like it on her. I think the Honeycomb is more becoming.

I can't wait to see the Duchess in the Vladimir tiara with emerald drops, and the Godman necklace and emerald earrings. I think that would look divine. HM wore that combo once during her reign I think. I will try to find a picture of it. Its a big too grand for HM's taste but it would work for Camilla. I cant really imagine the Kokoshnik or the Girls of Great Britian working on Camilla's hair. I think the Oriental circlet would work too. Besides those, I really hope she reworks the Burmese, Sapphire, and Aquamarine tiaras into something a bit more elegant.

Camilla was very impressive in the Delhi Durbar tiara. Don't like the Boucheron tiara on her so much.

I love the Boucheron, but would like to see the Delhi Durbar with all the original stones Bring on the big ones....

Maybe for the coranatiom??:whistling:

An interruption to the current discussion I know, but for the record the "Camilla will/won't be Queen" posts have been removed.
Reason? This is a JEWELS thread, not a boring rehash of arguments transferred over from the British Forums.

thanks.
Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

I think DoC would look excellent in a fringe tiara, would love to see her in it/one. Only time will tell....

The Delhi Durbar and the Boucheron are beautiful and
Duchess wears them beautifully. Are they heavy tiaras?
To me they look heavy. Do you think they bother her
when she wears them?:);):)

Last edited by a moderator:
They do both appear to be reasonably "heavy" tiaras. Different people react to the weight issue differently. Weight was clearly not an issue for Queen Mary. On the other hand, HM in rumoured to favour the Girls of GB because it is relatively light. Similarly, Diana was rumoured to favour the Spencer tiara over the Lovers Knot because of the weight, ignoring any other message the choice of tiara might be sending out.

I seem to recall reading that the Boucheron is actually set in platinum, so that would make it more lightweight--

I think Camilla wouild look lovely in the Godman necklace and the Grand Duchess with the emeralds.

I think Camilla wouild look lovely in the Godman necklace and the Grand Duchess with the emeralds.

My dream!!!!! I've said it many times--she would look wonderful with those cabochon emeralds in diamond circles placed upon her head, with those wonderful cabochon emerald drop earrings, the Delhi Durbar brooch, and Godman necklace. SIGH. Now, that would be wonderful.

My dream!!!!! I've said it many times--she would look wonderful with those cabochon emeralds in diamond circles placed upon her head, with those wonderful cabochon emerald drop earrings, the Delhi Durbar brooch, and Godman necklace. SIGH. Now, that would be wonderful.
I would sell my mother and my grandmother to see that!(true statment)

A fully restored Delhi Durbar tiara would indeed be a wonderful sight to behold! But, I really do think we are going to see either QEQM's crown or the State Diadem. Either is perfectly fine with me.

Lets say Camilla does get crowned as Queen Consort, what jewels do you think she would wear for her coronation?

Personally I think she would use QEQM Crown rather than Queen Marys, simply because its platinum and is lighter in weight.

Judging by past choices, I wouldnt be surprised if she pulled off a Queen Mary and wore row upon row of diamond collets from a choker all the way down to Queen Victorias collet necklace with the timur diamond pendant at the end. Marching that she could wear the collet earrings.

I would love if she decided to wear one of the stomachers aswell. Would be truly amazing, and of course have her ermine robes held in place by two of Queen Marys diamond bows.

Now that would look amazing!

I would think Camilla will wear The Queen Mother's crown when the time comes. It was hardly worn by the late Queen Elizabeth and was designed to match the Imperial State Crown, so it seems an ideal choice.

I would think Camilla will wear The Queen Mother's crown when the time comes. It was hardly worn by the late Queen Elizabeth and was designed to match the Imperial State Crown, so it seems an ideal choice.

I agree, the Queen Mother's crown is certainly a posssibility.

My main concern is that the crown contains the Kohinoor diamond, which the Indian people believe was taken from the court of Maharaja Ranjit Singh against his will by the East India Company. There is a real possibility the Indian Indian government may petition to have it returned. Given the large population of South Asian extraction in the UK, this is something that BP will need to be careful about.

They could always remove the kohinoor from the front maltese cross and replace it withe Cullinan III, one of Grannys Chips, from the Cullinan Brooch.
HM has only worn it about five times apparently. Two of the most magnificent diamonds in the world just sitting on display in the queens gallery gathering dust when they could be used in so many pieces of jewellry!

They could always remove the kohinoor from the front maltese cross and replace it withe Cullinan III, one of Grannys Chips, from the Cullinan Brooch.
HM has only worn it about five times apparently. Two of the most magnificent diamonds in the world just sitting on display in the queens gallery gathering dust when they could be used in so many pieces of jewellry!

I do hope that should Camilla choose to use QEQMs crown, they do replace the Kohinoor.

I do hope that should Camilla choose to use QEQMs crown, they do replace the Kohinoor.

I think the Koh-i-Noor will stay in its place. It is traditionally worn by Queens' Consort.

I think the Koh-i-Noor will stay in its place. It is traditionally worn by Queens' Consort.

"Traditionally", the Kohinoor should be in India, not in the crown of the Queen consort.

Well, it was a spoil of war. Are you going to insist that the Russians return the Orlov?

The Curse:

"He who owns this diamond will own the world, but will also know all its misfortunes. Only God, or a woman, can wear it with impunity."

"Traditionally", the Kohinoor should be in India, not in the crown of the Queen consort.

I looked up the history of the Kohinoor and dont see why the British souverain should not own it. It was stolen more then twice over till it was presented to the British crown, thus I don't see why India should own it.

I looked up the history of the Kohinoor and dont see why the British souverain should not own it. It was stolen more then twice over till it was presented to the British crown, thus I don't see why India should own it.

If you dig a little deeper in history, you will find it was presented under duress, following years of subjugation and enforced rule by the British in vast parts of the Indian subcontinent. In that time, they forcibly appropriateed a number of items of value. To this day, the appropriation of the Kohinoor diamond remains an emotive issue in India.

Extract from Wikipedia:

The Governor-General in charge of the ratification for this treaty was Lord Dalhousie. More than anyone, Lord Dalhousie was responsible for the British acquiring the Koh-i-Noor, in which he continued to show great interest for the rest of his life. Dalhousie's work in India was primarily aimed at appropriation of Indian assets for the use of the British East India Company. His acquisition of the diamond, amongst many other things, was criticized even by some of his contemporaries in Britain. Although some suggested that the diamond should have been presented as a gift to the Queen, it is clear that Dalhousie felt strongly that the stone was a spoil of war, and treated it accordingly. Writing to his friend Sir George Cooper in August of 1849, he stated:
The Court [of the East India Company] you say, are ruffled by my having caused the Maharajah to cede to the Queen the Koh-i-noor; while the 'Daily News' and my Lord Ellenborough [Governor-General of India, 1841-44] are indignant because I did not confiscate everything to her Majesty... [My] motive was simply this: that it was more for the honour of the Queen that the Koh-i-noor should be surrendered directly from the hand of the conquered prince into the hands of the sovereign who was his conqueror, than it should be presented to her as a gift—which is always a favour—by any joint-stock company among her subjects. So the Court ought to feel.[8]Dalhousie arranged that the diamond should be presented by Maharaja Ranjit Singh's young successor, Duleep Singh, to Queen Victoria in 1850. Duleep Singh was the youngest son of Ranjit Singh and his fifth wife Maharani Jind Kaur. Duleep, aged 13, travelled to the United Kingdom to present the jewel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koh-i-Noor

Last edited:
Well, it was a spoil of war. Are you going to insist that the Russians return the Orlov?

The Curse:

"He who owns this diamond will own the world, but will also know all its misfortunes. Only God, or a woman, can wear it with impunity."

It was certainly a spoil of subjugation, and unlawful appropriation.

I am not "insisting" that it be returned, I am merely suggesting that this remains an emotive issue in India to this day. An economically empowered and resurgent India, and a large and economically powerful UK population of Indian descent could make this a potentially divisive issue.

I doubt the BRF would ever return it, or even have the legal right to return it, the Crown Jewels are the property of the state held in trust for the nation, and the Kohinoor is thus part of the crown regalia and would be treated as such.

I would be a decision of the government at the time I would think. In any case I think it is too tricky a topic for any to tackle, as its history is so mired in intrigue.

Surely the French should be lobbying the Smithsonian Institute in the US for the return of the Hope Diamond which used to be set in their coronation crown if that were the case.

I think it would be better if the consorts crown included the Cullinan III and IV instead of the Kohinoor and the Lahore Diamond (on the maltese cross at the apex of the archs).

If you dig a little deeper in history, you will find it was presented under duress,

If negociating and signing a peace treaty to end a war is "duress", then you're right. As I read it, the last owner of the stone before it was given to Queen Victoria had acquired it through murky dealings. He then willed it to a temple but his successor accepted the term in the treaty that it should be given to the British queen.

Ever since then, there's peace around the diamond which has seen so much violence.

If you start giving back gems or other values because of things in the past which were "murky", you cant stop it. Who knows under how much pressure the maharanis of India were to present jewels at the Dehli Durbar of 1910. Should the tiara be given back because of that? And what about all the gems and valuables the Maharadschas were forced to give to the state of India? Will India give back these possessions?

If you start, there's no end to it. so its better to accept that history has its own laws and that sometimes you need to look to the future because the past has no beginning and never ends as yesterday was once the day after tomorrow...

If returned, it would surely be the government of the day, and not the BRF.

If you read my previous posts on the topic, you will see that I am not suggesting that they be returned. My point remains that the Kohinoor diamond remains a very emotive point in India, and with people of Indian origin. Should the Kohinoor re-emerge (it really has not been used since 1951, which was only a few years after Indian independence in 1947), there is a very real chance that this become an issue in UK-India relations. The UK needs to maintain its strong trading links with rapidly expanding economies like India. The government of the day may well still refuse to return the diamond for all the good reasons made by other posters, but this situation can an easily be avoided by replacing the Kohinoor with other stones in QEQMs crown.

If negociating and signing a peace treaty to end a war is "duress", then you're right. ........... He then willed it to a temple but his successor accepted the term in the treaty that it should be given to the British queen.
This is really not the place to commence a lesson on Indian history, but that was not a peace treaty at all. The British subjugated a large part of the Indian subcontinent for several hundred years, till they were forced to leave in 1947 and Mountbatten hastily divided up the country.

The "successor" you refer to was 13 years old, hardly one who could make an informed decision.
Who knows under how much pressure the maharanis of India were to present jewels at the Dehli Durbar of 1910.
There is enough historical evidence to suggest that the princely states in India were certainly put under pressure to present jewels at the Durbar.

Oh well, that stuffed my day. Here was I looking for photos of jewels Camilla might use as Consort and stumbled on an acrimonious squabble over who holds the moral high ground. When I need a moral argument on the sins of the past I'll stop by the appropriate thread/forum/library! :bang:

I'm shallow, I just came for the jewels! :D

Back
Top Bottom