Tiaras and Jewels Camilla might use as Queen

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Far be it from me to crow over your slow, but inevitable, slide into "Burmese Beauty" or is that "Ruby Radiance"? :D

(Na, na, na, na, na. YeeeHa! Gotcha!) Sorry, that one got away from me! :ROFLMAO:

You are so bad!!! :ROFLMAO: There are some pictures of that tiara which are really beautiful--and some that are not. Apparently, I was looking at the wrong ones all this time! Let the descent begin!

As much as I don't want to see anything pass--I think the sapphires will find their way to Edward.

Of course, we are talking about Camilla here. It would be shame to not see her in that GORGEOUS sapphire parue.

I would hate to see Camilla not get the full sapphire parure. So where does that leave us in relation to ome further jewels for Sophie Wessex? I still maintain that the Queen should get Sophie a new medium sized diamond tiara, that could be paired with any of the many diamond necklaces (similar in design to the King Faisal necklace) the Queen possesses. There are quite a few necklaces with a fairly similar design, so a relatively "minor" one with limited historical provenance could be left for Sophie. In addition, a few smaller brooches with more sentimental and family hoistory could also be left for her. What say?

I'vd read all of this with interest, and it does seem that everyone is unanimous on the need for big jewels for Camilla - her hair does need it, and she understands how to wear them - much better than Beatrix who lets them get lost amongst her birds nest.

I think Camilla will look fab in the Kokoshnik, and as stated many times, she needs to get the Durbar back on again some time soon. Like now.

I've said it somewhere else, but Burmese and the Sapphires do need reworking, the Sapphires most urgently, as it is just half done. Love the necklace though, but lose the pendant and make the chain longer - much better in its original state. Rocking those redone sapphires (in the style discussed earlier) would be fabulous. I think Queen Silvia would have a rock rival on her hands then! But - my jury is still out, and perhaps Cam could do things with Burmese to make us all love it... Who knows.

The Kohinoor is a highly emotive, sensitive and politcal issue in India, with a section of the Indian population demanding that it be returned to India. I would, therefore, be surprised if the Kohinoor diamond was moved around much. Its fine leaving it in a "historical" setting, ie the QMs crown, but I do not think it is likely to be appearing soon in use. Given this background, it will be interesting how the issue is dealt with if Camilla were to be crowned using the Queen Mum's crown.
I can't seen Camilla ever getting to use the Queen Mother's crown. It would be too controversial. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't seen Camilla ever getting to use the Queen Mother's crown. It would be too controversial. :eek:
Why? If she is to be crowned, there are two options: use the existing Consort's crown, or make a new one.
Which do you think would be the more controversial?

One wonders if it would really be so controversial though as the stones used for Queen Elizabeth's crown could be used for Camilla's. Infact, I'm sure theres more than enough diamonds in the vault to mount a frame or two or three.

In any case, it would only be a frame that would need to be re-fashioned if a new crown were commissioned. The ermine could, I'm sure, also be reused.

Perhaps leave out the Koh-I-Noor this time, however ;)

Should she be created Princess Consort, then the base of a crown (much like those that Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth wore to the Coronations of George VI and Elizabeth II, which as we know were the base of their crowns...personally I think Queen Mary's was much nicer than Queen Elizabeths) would be an appropriate alternative. Perhaps even the state diadem could be considered.

Ahh the speculation. Glorious isn't it..haha.

I can't see that it would be too contraversial - she seems pretty much to have the run of the QM's jewels, wearing her ring as an engagement ring, several of her brooches, necklaces and the biggest tiara already.....

Why? If she is to be crowned, there are two options: use the existing Consort's crown, or make a new one.
Which do you think would be the more controversial?

Personally, I just feel that the Queen Mother, is well....., The Queen Mother and her crown should be left as is. Although, the cost in making a new one will probably be more controversial to the general public. I expect master jewelers don't come cheap?

PS - Is there a more appropriate thread to discuss this?

If every Queen took the approach that you are taking to jewels, we would have a lot more jewels gathering dust someone.
That crown should be worn, it's beautiful.
:flowers:

I have always assumed that Camilla would wear the Queen Mother's crown--it's still intact (no stones have been replaced with pastes) and it is something Charles remembers seeing his grandmother wear at his mother's coronation. The emotion of the piece makes it a logical choice. Of course, the State Diadem is also a fantastic choice as well.

I still haven't seen a definitive response or explanation of the above.

In what way is the QM's crown too controversial? Is it too, like some of the gems in the crown jewels, laid claim by other nations? Has it been re-set with fake gems?

So . . . . . . why?

I think that, in general, the only ones that will be upset would be the old fossils among us and the Dail Mail. Most people won't understand the significance.

Although I was wondering... if Camilla is to be the Princess Consort, why would she even wear a crown??

I know I may be unleashing the firestorm again (and for the record I think she will truly be the queen when Charles becomes king, regardless of whatever he chooses to call her, unless Parliament takes some other steps to prevent it).

If the Princess Consort route is still kept, then she wont be crowned. I think she will either wear the State Diadem or the just the Circlet of either Marys, Elizabeth's, or the other numerous crowns. I do think she will be crowned Queen, I just wish they would release a statement backtracking the whole Princess Consort nonsense. Leaving it up in the air leaves a bad taste lingering.

The Koh-i-Noor will probably always state in the BRF and be continued to use. Simply because numerous countries lay claim to it and you dont really just give away a diamond like that.

I still haven't seen a definitive response or explanation of the above.

In what way is the QM's crown too controversial? Is it too, like some of the gems in the crown jewels, laid claim by other nations? Has it been re-set with fake gems?

So . . . . . . why?

I have several things to say

1. Well, why did Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and Queen Mary get new crowns? It would be in keeping with tradition.
2. If Camilla will be 'Princess Consort', why would she be crowned? The only other person with a similar designated title (Prince Albert) was not crowned.

I therefore agree with Madame Royale and Princejohnny25 - the base/circlet of the QM's or similar crown would be more appropriate.

3. I come from a long line of 'old fossils'.

I have always assumed that Camilla would wear the Queen Mother's crown--it's still intact (no stones have been replaced with pastes) and it is something Charles remembers seeing his grandmother wear at his mother's coronation. The emotion of the piece makes it a logical choice. Of course, the State Diadem is also a fantastic choice as well.

Agree with Janet, my view is that Camilla will wear the QMs crown. The only thing that might prevent her from doing, IMO, is the issue with the Kohinoor diamond, and I don't think that the Palace would want to draw any attention to it. So the question is, if she is not crowned with the QMs crown, what else might be used?

:previous: Whilst the above are points to ponder, none fits the definition of "Too Controversial", and let's not forget the appropriate smilie . . . . . :eek:

Somehow that :eek: would be neither necessary nor appropriate for any of the threee above points. :ermm:

1. Well, why did Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and Queen Mary get new crowns? It would be in keeping with tradition.
Queen Mary had a new crown made because Queen Alexandra was alive at the time; Queen Elizabeth had a new crown made because Queen Mary was alive at the time.
Queen Elizabeth's crown was the first to be made from platinum and is therefore probably lighter and more comfortable.
It also has the advantage of having its jewels still wholly intact.

Queen Mary had a new crown made because Queen Alexandra was alive at the time; Queen Elizabeth had a new crown made because Queen Mary was alive at the time.
Queen Elizabeth's crown was the first to be made from platinum and is therefore probably lighter and more comfortable.
It also has the advantage of having its jewels still wholly intact.

So Warren, whats your view? What do you think Camilla will be crowned with?

I think some people misunderstood what I was saying.

I think we can all agree that royals who are not crowned do not wear crowns. Right? For example, the Princess Royal, who has not been crowned, wears tiaras and not crowns. But her mother, the Queen, may wear either crowns or tiaras.

So if Camilla will not be crowned, why should we expect her to wear a crown and not one of the tiaras?

You are right, if Camilla is not crowned, she will not be wearing a crown. But all things considered, how likely is it that Camilla is not crowned as Charles' queen?

Well, at the moment, the Princess Consort is the way its heading. and until an announcement is made or Charles becomes King, we just wont know. But that doesnt stop us from speculating on the crown.

Being princess consort she could wear the circlets of Victoria, Alexandra, Mary, Elizabeth or the George IV State Diadem at the coronation. They would have to be refashioned and the gems put back in of course. As for crowns, if she is crowned Queen, the Queen Mum's would make the most sense but I'm quite partial to Queen Mary's.

Are there any tiaras or Jewels that Camilla could only where as Queen? :)

Yes. According to Leslie Field in The Queen's Jewels page 11: "(Queen Victoria's) will included a schedule of jewels that were to be considered as belonging to the Crown and to be worn by all future Queens in right of it. This list included those Hanovarian jewels which Queen Victoria had kept after the resolution of the court case in 1858, the King George IV State Diadem, which now became part of the Crown regalia, and a number of pieces of jewelry that she had been given by Prince Albert or that they had designed together from stones already in the royal collection. The rest of her jewellery was divided among her children and grandchildren."

It is clear that if Camilla is not Queen, she has no right to those pieces (not that she'll be deprived). So the State Diadem is explicitly removed from consideration.

Thats not entirely true scooter. Camilla WILL become Queen, however if the current route is maintained, she will simply be called HRH The Princess Consort. Just as she is the Princess of Wales, but is called the Duchess of Cornwall. So she has every right to wear these pieces.

Actually, when they married the press release said that it was intended that the Duchess of Cornwall would be known as the The Princess Consort....which means we're looking at the whole she is the Princess of Wales but chooses to be known as the Duchess of Cornwall situation out of deference to the memory of her step-children's mother--so, nothing is off limits to her. And, she'll be gorgeous in the State Diadem. So, maybe not crown, but the diadem for the coronation, and for the Parliament openings. However, I personally am hoping for HM Queen Camilla.

I disagree. I think that her choices will be limited if she's not crowned or called Queen. And I disagree totally with the idea of a Princess Consort. But I guess we'll see if the time comes...

Debate on about tiaras, please!

Yes thank you Iowabelle!

This constant Camilla hate is so OLD AND TIRED.

From what I understand, there is nothing i.e. documents, precedents except poor Queen Caroline that even calls for a Princess Consort. So why not use the jewels of previous Queen Consorts.

It woudl be interesting to see the Scroll Tiara although Camilla's hair calls for big tiaras.

Last edited:
I am on the hunt to figure out where the sunray fringe tiara worn by Queen Victoria in this Winterhalter portrait:
http://www.wga.hu/art/w/winterhx/1may1851.jpg the fringes are entirely too large to be the 1919 Queen Mary fringe worn by HM on her wedding day. But, if it is down in the vault, well, bring it up and put it on Camilla. I want to see it.

I do like the scroll--the diamonds are large than you would expect, but I think that it is a smaller, less significant piece. It may be a piece we see on the York princesses, or a future wife of Princes William or Harry. I also wouldn't mind seeing Sophie receive another tiara--she has the aquamarine one, the other one which resembles the scroll, and that thing she wore for her wedding. I want to see the sapphire bandeau tiara come out and get worn by Camilla--and the Delhi Durbar could make another appearance and I would not be upset.

Last edited:
I'm new here, so haven't posted before, but I believe I read somewhere that Royal Wills were not sealed until George V. I have forgotten the reason now, but if I am wrong, please tell me:)

I'm new here, so haven't posted before, but I believe I read somewhere that Royal Wills were not sealed until George V. I have forgotten the reason now, but if I am wrong, please tell me:)

You know, wanderingana--I believe I must now eat crow! They weren't sealed until George V because of an incident with Queen Mary's brother, Francis, the Cambridge emeralds, and mistress.
I'm off to find Vicky's will--

Back
Top Bottom