Tiara history, traditions, protocols, metals and meanings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This might not be the best place for these questions but
Just how many tiara's does HM QEII own? And
What's the difference between a black tie event and a white tie event? I am afraid I cannot find my Amy Vanderbilt's book on etiquette. I have a niggling suspicion that Mr. Russo got rid of it as I have many, many books!! :ohmy:

A white tie event is more formal than a black tie one. By white tie events guests wear also decorations, white tie is used on the occasione of royal weddings (when not in the morning), official receptions of head of states and balls.

I always wondered how does a tiara convert into a necklace? Does it clip off or something?

The jewelled portion is mounted on a wire frame (the frame's lower circular or open circle portion that sits on your hair is usually velvet wrapped), with tiny screws, and can be unscrewed when you wish to wear it as a necklace. The necklace setting will have been designed so you can do this, and the frame will have been constructed specifically to support the necklace.

I am lucky enough to own a diamond crescent brooch, and you can clearly see where the loop is where you would put in a teensy screw to affix it to a tiara mounting. There would probably have been five or seven of these crescents, all mounted on a diamond bandeau tiara frame; things like this got broken up so Mummie could give one brooch to each daughter.

So not only can you dismount tiaras into necklaces, some of them broke up into a series of brooches/pair of bracelets as well.

I also have a Georgian wild-rose brooch in rose-cut diamonds with a hanging festoon, which comes apart so you can wear the festoon part hooked to a pearl necklace and the big wild-rose center screwed into a ring or as a pendant on its own without the tremblant festoon. Clever Georgian designers!

The only tiara I ever owned was one in Hungarian garnets, dating from late Victorian times: a big center section with two smaller hinged wings, one on each side, and an elastic fastener in back that went under my hair. It was pretty, but I have red hair and the garnets didn't work too well with it, so I traded it in at my favorite antique jewelry dealer's place for I think a big heavy Austro-Hungarian emerald necklace.

That's the great thing about antique jewelry: it doesn't lose much if any value. You buy a two-carat diamond at Tiffany's, it loses two-thirds of its value the minute you walk out the door (for resale purposes). Most antique jewels don't do that.

This thread will do michellq :). I was reading elsewhere that silver tiara frames and fittings do tarnish and require regular cleaning. I recall one person saying that he was surprised with the Spencer Tiara when it was on exhibition in the US because the frame was tarnished. That would indicate it hadn't been coated or plated to protect the sheen. Gold doesn't tarnish so much but is heavy and expensive. Platinum is also expensive, but is very strong and therefore less of it is needed to hold everything together. Hope this helps.
Additionally, when the Spencer tiara was made (Georgian period), the technology to cut diamonds for maximum brilliance as we see they today didn't exist. That didn't happen till early 20th century.

So, to give the usually rose-cut or, later, old-mine cut diamonds more sparkle, they were generally set in silver around the stones themselves, with gold underneath to give greater strength, as an all-silver setting would be too soft and bendy. White gold could also be used, but generally on Huguenot-made or -designed Georgian pieces, the settings were silver above, yellow gold below.

I've not seen the Spencer tiara to say for sure, but it's obviously a costly and well-made piece, so I'd speculate that this is how it was constructed. So, yes, the silver around the diamonds would indeed tarnish and need careful cleaning so as not to remove the patina. Nothing looks worse than a stripped silver setting with old stones; you really need the antique patina to make it look its best.

I only happen to know because when I started collecting old pieces, I was taught a lot about them by the dealers. My Georgian and Victorian pieces are almost all constructed this way: silver to give sparkle to the stones (and make diamonds look whiter and cleaner), gold to strengthen the framework of the piece. Also it's rather cheaper than an all-gold setting, which may have been a consideration.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that a lot of the English Georgian jewelry designers/makers were refugee Huguenots from France, and pieces like the Spencer tiara were likely Huguenot-made. Please correct me, someone, if I'm mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just how many tiara's does HM QEII own?

I think in Suzy Menkes' book it says she owns something like eleven major ones? Though I'd like to know what constitutes a "major" tiara from a "minor" one!

Oh, here it is from "The Royal Jewels": I'll condense.

"Granny's tiara": Girls of Great Britain, obviously.
sunray wedding day tiara, inherited as necklace from George IV
Queen Alexandra's Russian fringe
Indian regal tiara (the ruby one the Queen Mum wore all the time; reset from opals)
Cambridge emeralds
sapphire tiara made to go with George VI's wedding gift to her
aquamarines
new rubies
King Faisal diamonds
Nizam of Hyderabad rose bandeau
lover's knot given to Diana
a dozen more in store, according to Menkes

presumably including the Boucheron and honeycomb, or are they the same?

That's a very interesting video, Warren! Thanks for posting it.
I wonder how many tiaras are still made today, and for which people? At least European royalty does not buy new tiaras that often. Who apart from royalty would order their own tiara? And than there must by a number of other juwellers who also make tiaras, like Garrards and Cartier.

A white tie event is more formal than a black tie one. By white tie events guests wear also decorations, white tie is used on the occasione of royal weddings (when not in the morning), official receptions of head of states and balls.
thank you for the explanation, so what is the dress code for white event and what it is for black tie even in men and women?
what about if i was very rich and i wanted to buy a tiara , would i able to use it?

Here's my favourite tiara: The Brunswick diamond Tiara - Have a look - Click here and here
when royal princesses waer tiaras for functions do you think that they pay a hairdresser to be on hand to fit the jewels in their hair
its seems to me that it would awfully complicated to do it for ones self

i am sure they have somebody doing her hair and pining the tiara for them, just to look perfect like they look!

How much money does usually a tiara cost? 100.000 euros maybe? A medium tiara with diamond, for example ;)

Regards!

It depend of that whoand where made it, materials.
For example the cheapest tiara from Bentley&Skinner's site cost Ł12750.
Bentley & Skinner

In Scandinavia, Crown Princesses Mette-Marit and Mary were both given "new" (new to them) tiaras on their wedding days. They also received other tiaras. MM was given/lent the amethyst tiara, and Mary was given/lent Queen Ingrid's Ruby Parure (bequethed to Frederik upon the Queen's death, it was to be used by his wife; however, upon their death it reverts to the crown)

Could Prince Frederik bequeath it to his daughter Princess Isabella?
:flowers:

i wonder how much a tiara costs these days if they will have a new one made?

i wonder how much a tiara costs these days if they will have a new one made?
About new tiara... All depend of materials - platinum, silver or gold and stones/carats,
or it will be converted as necklace/braclet or from necklace/braclet to tiara... And of course of the jeweler.
So we have it between $ few thousand to $ 250000 or more like fex. Mikimoto tiara for Miss Universe.

Could Prince Frederik bequeath it to his daughter Princess Isabella?
:flowers:

I don't think this is possible. You see, the parure was made for the first Bernadotte queen, Desiree. When Lovisa of Sweden got married to Frederick VII, her parents gave it to her because of its danish colours. At that time there were no jewels available for the Crownprincess in Denmark, so that's why she got it. Since then I believe it has been reserved for the Crownprincess to use it. So , after Christian gets married, it will be worn by his wife.

What about queen Ingrid? She continued to wear the ruby parrure when she became queen and didn't give it to the then crown princess Margarethe to use at all.
I think this set is queen Ingrid's and she gave it to P Frederick after her death. The same with her other jeweleries that she divided among her 3 daughters.

^^^ Is that also the reason why Mary only has 2 tiaras to choose from? The Danes not having any jewels for their CP's...

^^^ Is that also the reason why Mary only has 2 tiaras to choose from? The Danes not having any jewels for their CP's...

No, I think Margarethe when she was Crown princess, had a lot more tiaras to wear than Mary at the moment. Afterall she was a princess by birth. Mary didn't have any of her own when she became CP so maybe that the reason she's a bit short of tiaras. Maybe because we are seeing more commoners become princess.

When Queen Ingrid married into the Danish royal family she received the ruby parure as a wedding present from her parents–in-law. So it was her personal property and she chose to bequeath it to her grandson Frederik. So now it is his personal property and he can do with it what he wants. He could bequeath it to his daughter, but I don’t think he will. I hope that such an important piece of royal heritage will stay in the main line of the family. So it might go to Christian or even Christian’s eldest child.

They have quite a few, but Margrethe wears a few and I don't think she "shares" ;)
Mary has only worn the parue, the midnight tiara and her wedding one.
I hope Frederik bequeaths it to Isabella, or Mary has some more created.
But I suppose when it reverts back to the crown, Isabella can wear it. :)

True there are not many jewels as they used to be because as it has been mention commoners have been marrying within royal and noble houses.
Nice if the jewels were lent to different members of the family one tiara or crown not the same one show some varity of once.

What about queen Ingrid? She continued to wear the ruby parrure when she became queen and didn't give it to the then crown princess Margarethe to use at all.
I think this set is queen Ingrid's and she gave it to P Frederick after her death. The same with her other jeweleries that she divided among her 3 daughters.

Yes you are right. I searched the matter a little further and I noticed that although the parure was indeed used by the crownprincess, it didn't came automatically to her , but each crownprincess got it as a personal gift from her in laws and then she, in her turn gave it to her daughter in law . Maybe that's why Queen Ingrid kept using the parure and didn't gave it to Margrethe bacause she wanted to stick to tradition and give it to the next crownprincess who would marry into the family. that would be of course Frederik's wife and maybe that's why she left it directly to him.

Yes you are right. I searched the matter a little further and I noticed that although the parure was indeed used by the crownprincess, it didn't came automatically to her , but each crownprincess got it as a personal gift from her in laws and then she, in her turn gave it to her daughter in law . Maybe that's why Queen Ingrid kept using the parure and didn't gave it to Margrethe bacause she wanted to stick to tradition and give it to the next crownprincess who would marry into the family. that would be of course Frederik's wife and maybe that's why she left it directly to him.
I think there are 2 reasons: First Margrethe was never the Crown princess. She was the heiress presumptive. And second because after Margrethe succeeded she got all the other major pieces from the Jewellry box and Ingrid only continued to use the Khedive tiara. If she had given the ruby Parure to Margrethe she would only had the Khedive.

Well, the isn't a foundation from which all the member of the family could borrow( the Foundation that exists is only for the Queen I believe) and the last Danish Queens weren't very " generous " with their jewels when it came to giving gifts to crownprincesses .Louise kept her jewels to herself and Lovisa used her own tiaras. Louise in her turn gave to Alexandrine only the ruby tiara at first and after a few years the rest of the parure and Alexandrine only gave to Ingrid the Ruby parure I think. This wasn't a problem when the crownprincesses were princesses by birth and had their own tiaras from their families but nowadays, this could lead to very few personal jewels.

I dont mind small elegant ones (such Mette Marit's perhaps) on princesses (by birth) over 18, but certainly not big dazzlers!
Not til at least 21
I agree that a certain size is apropriate for a certain age. For example, when I see pictures of Anne Marie in her youth wearing the large emerald tiara I find it somehow wrong - I mean there is this young teen face and on top of that a large russian - style tiara with big cabochon..... It seems too much.

The British tradition (rule) is being discarded slowly. The convention was that on state occasions, state visits, and public events such as evening receptions, theatre visits, full gala was de rigueur. In recent years HM The Queen has disappointed many by turning up without the glitz gear. At private evening events tiaras are not worn, though males may well appear in tails with orders and decorations. There is the problem also of which tiaras are state property and which are private. The Baltimore tiara bought by the late Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother for Princess Margaret is now valued at ten times its purchase price. If the present royal ladies don't think tiaras appropriate or fashionable perhaps they could auction them to raise funds for charitable causes.

I'm sorry but Queen Elizabeth wears a Tiara when appropriate. To wear a tiara for a private dinner is just ostentatious.
All female members where tiaras on state visits, certain theatre events if listed as a public event.

Back
Top Bottom