Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Possibly.

Margaret owner three tiaras. As well as wearing the lotus and halo.

-Poltimore
-Snowden floral tiara
- Persian turquoise

The Poltimore we know was auctioned off. The floral was inherited by Sarah. The turquoise wasn’t in the auction so may be in a vault some where.

The "Snowden floral tiara" was just some brooches put on a frame, and dressed with ivy wreaths.

We know it was not sold, but do we have any confirmation that this "tiara" was indeed inherited by Sarah?

According to The Queens Diamonds book published in 2012, the Teck circle necklace / tiara is in the possession of Lord Snowdon. Following his recent separation, it is unlikely that Lady Snowdon will attend Charles' coronation and it is entirely possible that Sarah wears the necklace as a tiara at the coronation.

What are the rules on who's invited or who's going to the coronation? Is it only peers and peeresses (suo jure and wives of peers)? Will it include sons and daughters of peers, and widowed ones (the dowagers)? Are divorced wives of peers who did not remarry be allowed? How about those from non-reigning nobility and royal houses?

Is it just me or could there be another Snowdon tiara waiting to be worn and the coronation? I have this feeling that had the 1st Earl of Snowdon (Tony Armstrong-Jones) be still alive, he wouldn't allow that his own family would not have a tiara of their own. It's possible he left designs of possible coronation tiaras that David would ask to create. Given they're a family of artists. Their heraldry symbol is the stag (Tony and David's signet rings have the stag design). Hypothetical thinking...the Snowdon Stag Tiara?

I'd love to see Serena to attend the coronation even if she won't be seated with David. She might sit with her stepmother, Anita, the Countess of Harrington, and father The Earl of Harrington, and/or with her stepmother-in-law, Lucy, the Dowager Countess of Snowdon.

What could Lady Margarita wear? Seems that Serena is not into jewelry despite her highly aristocratic background, and David could have sold everything hmmm. What if Margarita herself designs her jewels since she's dabbling into making jewelries (as per her Instagram portfolio).

What are the rules on who's invited or who's going to the coronation? Is it only peers and peeresses (suo jure and wives of peers)? Will it include sons and daughters of peers, and widowed ones (the dowagers)? Are divorced wives of peers who did not remarry be allowed? How about those from non-reigning nobility and royal houses?

Is it just me or could there be another Snowdon tiara waiting to be worn and the coronation? I have this feeling that had the 1st Earl of Snowdon (Tony Armstrong-Jones) be still alive, he wouldn't allow that his own family would not have a tiara of their own. It's possible he left designs of possible coronation tiaras that David would ask to create. Given they're a family of artists. Their heraldry symbol is the stag (Tony and David's signet rings have the stag design). Hypothetical thinking...the Snowdon Stag Tiara?

I'd love to see Serena to attend the coronation even if she won't be seated with David. She might sit with her stepmother, Anita, the Countess of Harrington, and father The Earl of Harrington, and/or with her stepmother-in-law, Lucy, the Dowager Countess of Snowdon.

What could Lady Margarita wear? Seems that Serena is not into jewelry despite her highly aristocratic background, and David could have sold everything hmmm. What if Margarita herself designs her jewels since she's dabbling into making jewelries (as per her Instagram portfolio).

When the dresscode allows grand jewels to be worn, any lady, royal, noble or not, can wear a diadem. It is a common misconception that only blue-blooded ladies can wear grand jewels. But look at a major part of the Queen's collection, which came from Mrs Greville's bequest. This Mrs Grenville was neither royal nor noble at all.

When you are invited for a white tie event at a royal court and you are lucky to have a cassette with grand jewels: wear it.

And for the Snowdons: the Earl and Countess are in separation/divorce. That probably means his sister Lady Sarah Chatto can wear a diadem indeed. But when do the Snowdons ever need a diadem? For coronations? They can borrow one from family or a jeweller.

Last edited:
When the dresscode allows grand jewels to be worn, any lady, royal, noble or not, can wear a diadem. It is a common misconception that only blue-blooded ladies can wear grand jewels. But look at a major part of the Queen's collection, which came from Mrs Greville's bequest. This Mrs Grenville was neither royal nor noble at all.

When you are invited for a white tie event at a royal court and you are lucky to have a cassette with grand jewels: wear it.

And for the Snowdons: the Earl and Countess are in separation/divorce. That probably means his sister Lady Sarah Chatto can wear a diadem indeed. But when do the Snowdons ever need a diadem? For coronations? They can borrow one from family or a jeweller.

Here’s to hoping that they still kept the Turquoise/Triumph of Love Tiara & Sapphire Bandeau. Sarah could wear her wedding tiara. Her half-sister Frances and stepmother Lucy may likely commission a jeweller to design one for them. Or if David has better ideas to design a new one and carve it, diamonds instead of wood. It would be interesting if Frances loans a tiara or a jewelry from her husband’s family. Her husband, Rodolphe von Hofmannsthal, is from an aristocratic family - his paternal grandmother is Lady Elizabeth Paget (1916-1980), one of the train bearers/maids of honour of Queen Elizabeth (the Queen Mother) at the 1937 coronation. Lady Elizabeth’s father is the 6th Marquess of Anglesey, Charles Paget, who served as Lord Chamberlain to Queen Mary. His wife is Lady Marjorie Manners, daughter of the 8th Duke of Rutland. (That makes Lady Elizabeth a niece of Lady Diana Cooper, one of the famed socialites of 20th century Britain) Lady Elizabeth’s husband is Raimund von Hofmannsthal, son of Austrian novelist Hugo von Hofmannsthal. They have “von” in their prefix as they are part of the Austrian nobility - Edler - roughly the equivalent of an esquire. Austria though does not recognize these titles anymore. In the current Anglesey Marquessate, the 8th Marquess is Rodolphe’s first cousin, once removed, and the family is known for having many daughters so there’s a chance their jewelry collection is not intact.

Here’s to hoping that they still kept the Turquoise/Triumph of Love Tiara & Sapphire Bandeau.

I so do hope the turquoise parure, like the Lotus Flower / Papyrus tiara, is safely back in the royal vault.

Her half-sister Frances and stepmother Lucy may likely commission a jeweller to design one for them.

I would be very surprised if Frances and Lucy were invited, they are hardly family to Charles.

I so do hope the turquoise parure, like the Lotus Flower / Papyrus tiara, is safely back in the royal vault.

I would be very surprised if Frances and Lucy were invited, they are hardly family to Charles.

They may not be close to Charles, but like the rest of the peers, they’ll be relegated to the other seats, not necessarily the royal box. Although his stepdaughter Laura Lopes is a good friend of Frances and Rodolphe. Laura is an art gallery dealer like Rodolphe. She and Harry Lopes attended Frances’s wedding. (Hoping Laura wears the Cubitt Tiara for the coronation!) The Snowdons have a lot of friends and acquaintances from the major ranks of aristocracy despite their desire for a low-profile life. (I believe Frances met the Duchess of Cambridge at some of the National Portrait Gallery gala events.)

They may not be close to Charles, but like the rest of the peers, they’ll be relegated to the other seats, not necessarily the royal box. Although his stepdaughter Laura Lopes is a good friend of Frances and Rodolphe. Laura is an art gallery dealer like Rodolphe. She and Harry Lopes attended Frances’s wedding. (Hoping Laura wears the Cubitt Tiara for the coronation!) The Snowdons have a lot of friends and acquaintances from the major ranks of aristocracy despite their desire for a low-profile life. (I believe Frances met the Duchess of Cambridge at some of the National Portrait Gallery gala events.)

I would be surprised if the step-mother and half-sister of the 2nd Earl Snowden would be invited to the coronation as a result of their family link to the Earl.

I saw it in person and it was very stunning.

Will also be interesting if we will see Autumn Philips and Zara wearing tiaras from Princess Anne's collection. And also for the children of Princess Margaret but i think lady Sarah could wear the same tiara she did for her Wedding and Lord Linley still has the Teck circle necklace so Serena could use this as tiara.
Peter and Autumn are divorced so I highly doubt she will be there wearing tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter and Autumn are divorced so I highly doubt she will be there wearing tiara.

The post you quoted was from 2019, when both Autumn and Serena were still in the family.

To be fair, the post you are referring to is from April 2019 and predates their divorce. It was a valid thing to wonder about at the time.

To be fair, the post you are referring to is from April 2019 and predates their divorce. It was a valid thing to wonder about at the time.

?

I'm hoping Camilla pulls out the Delhi Durbar again for any of the celebrations surrounding the coronation.

Last edited:
:previous:Yes please! Maybe with the emerald toppers (now on the GDV tiara) like how Q Mary wore it.

Well even though Mrs. Grenville wasn’t a noble, but nouveau riche, she was actually married to a noble (junior son). But I think it was simply because she was rich and liked jewels that’s why she bought the jewels.

?

I'm hoping Camilla pulls out the Delhi Durbar again for any of the celebrations surrounding the coronation.
Given the colonial background of the Delhi Durbar tiara, it't probably not a sensitive option to wear it during the coronation festivities. I hope that Camilla will wear the state diadem for the coronation, as it's the most official and ceremonial tiara in the whole collection.

Given the colonial background of the Delhi Durbar tiara, it't probably not a sensitive option to wear it during the coronation festivities. I hope that Camilla will wear the state diadem for the coronation, as it's the most official and ceremonial tiara in the whole collection.

I guess she will use the Crown of the Queen Mother and she will be crowned with it. But don't know if she then would arrive at the coronation without crown. I think the Queen Mother did so.

The state diadem will look good on her.

I wonder if they will continue the tradition of heirs and not Monarchs attending. I have to admit, I would prefer Monarchs but on saying that, if it is heirs I can imagine Princess Caroline representing Monaco in the Cartier pearl and diamond tiara and her fabulous diamond fringe necklace and diamond drop earrings.

Last edited:
how big can we expect the foreign royal delegations be?
like The Queens funeral with 2 invites per country?

seems a shorter list when many royal houses gone since 1953

list from wikipedia

Members of foreign royal families
Norway The Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway, the Queen's first cousin, once removed and his wife (representing his father, the King of Norway)
Norway Princess Astrid of Norway, the Queen's second cousin
Denmark Prince and Princess Axel of Denmark, the Queen's first cousin, twice removed and the Duke of Edinburgh's first cousin, once removed and second cousin (representing his first cousin once removed, the King of Denmark)
Sweden The Duke of Halland, the Queen's second cousin, once removed (representing his father, the King of Sweden)
Belgium The Prince of Liège the Queen's third cousin (representing his brother, the King of the Belgians)
Netherlands The Prince Consort of the Netherlands (representing his wife, the Queen of the Netherlands)
Kingdom of Laos The Crown Prince of Laos (representing the King of Laos)
Nepal Prince Himalayapratrap Vir Vikram Shah and Princess Princep (representing the King of Nepal)
State of Vietnam The Hereditary Prince of Vietnam (representing Bảo Đại, the Chief of State of Vietnam)
Japan The Crown Prince of Japan (representing the Emperor of Japan)
Ethiopian Empire The Crown Prince of Ethiopia (representing the Emperor of Ethiopia)
Saudi Arabia Prince Fahad Ibn Abdul Aziz (representing the King of Saudi Arabia)
Kingdom of Afghanistan Shah Wali Khan (representing the King of Afghanistan)
Kingdom of Iraq The Crown Prince of Iraq (representing the King of Iraq)
Cambodia Prince Sisowath Monireth (representing the King of Cambodia)
Thailand Prince and Princess Chula Chakrabongse (representing the King of Thailand)
Mutawakkilite Kingdom of Yemen Prince Saif Al Islam Al Hassan (representing the King of Yemen)
Kingdom of Egypt The Nabil Suleyman Daoud (representing the King of Egypt)
Luxembourg The Hereditary Grand Duke and Hereditary Grand Duchess of Luxembourg (representing the Grand Duchess of Luxembourg)
Liechtenstein Prince Karl Alfred of Liechtenstein and Princess Agnes (representing the Prince of Liechtenstein)
Monaco Prince Pierre of Monaco (representing the Prince of Monaco)

Last edited:
If they do it the way it has been done since at least 1902, Camilla will not be wearing a tiara on the way to Westminster Abbey.

Then be crowned in a consort crown.

Wear that crown during the procession back to Buckingham Palace.

Wear that crown during the first balcony appearance (not done in 1902 but in 1911, 1937 and 1953)

Wear that crown for the official portraits

Change to a normal tiara to the evening balcony appearance when there is usually also fire works from Hyde Park

But i guess there is expected to be a coronation gala and at least one coronation dinner in the days around the actual coronation day, where tiaras may be worn too…

Last edited:
It's been nearly 70 years since the last coronation, and protocol has changed so much during that period. So I hope that there will still be tiaras at the next coronation. What I really can't envision is all those hereditary peers crowding the cathedral with their robes and coronets. I assume that these days more members from the civil society will be present, representatives from charities and civil institutions. So maybe the dress code will be toned down?

I’m thinking that something that looks like the Dutch “inauguration” ceremony for the dress code. I do think that both Charles and Camilla will be crowned by the Archbishop of Canterbury and William will make his pledge.

I’ve no doubts that at least those sitting close to the altar in the so called ”coronation theatre” will have dresscode ”uniform or tailcoat for men and evening dress for women” followed by a TMBW (Tiara May Be Worn)…

Those sitting in the back of the Church may have dresscode ”Tuxedo for men and evening dress for women” without the expectation of tiaras…

I can’t imagine a british coronation being downgraded to morning suit and hats… State Opening of Parliament perhaps but not the coronation

I belive The Prince of Wales and the premier peers in each rank will do their homage, but i don’t think all the peers will be invited if they stick to the 2200 persons capacity of Westminster Abbey and does not install extra galleries

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom