Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, times have changed enormously since 1937. I'm not even 100% sure that Charles coronation will still be a tiara event (though of course I hope that it will!) It will be more toned done than previous coronations, and I doubt that CP Victoria will opt for the largest whopper in the Swedish vaults. But that coronation is still a long time off, one hopes.

Instead we are rapidly nearing the big birthday bling in Norway. I wonder who might attend from the lower profile Royals. Do you think that someone from the Greek RF will attend? I don't hope for any Berleburgs, not after their recent sad loss. Any Rosenborgs, perhaps?

I'd also love to see HGD Stephanie breaking in a new tiara, it's been quite a while since she spoiled us with a first-timer. So I hope that she's attending.

i could see victoria wearing the sapphire parure she isn't just a crown princess she is the heir to the throne .

:previous: Not unless sadly her mother isn't with us any more at the time. It would be like Camilla wearing one of the tiaras reserved for the queen. The sapphires are reserved for the queen or if there is none, the senior lady of the court. There is enough bling in the vaults for her not to have to wear a tiara reserved for the queen. There is plenty of time for her to wear it as queen.

As for the Norway birthday.....

I'd be surprised if a few Greeks don't attend. They usually attend these events, and they are close relationship as well as blood wise. Anne Marie and Constantine would not surprise me. They are generation wise the same with the birthday couple.

I belive Louise wore the braqanza tiara also a few other's times as Crown Princess. Wasn't one of them the 80th or 90th birthday of her father-in-law. And i think she wore it also when the new King Frederik IX. and Queen Ingrid of Denmark paid a State Visit to Sweden. She wore it also abrioad for a State Visit to France in the 1950's.

According to the poster, this photo was taken at her father in law's 80th birthday, and she wore the sapphire tiara. Here is another one of her wearing the Braganza possibly during a Danish state visit.

Camilla

What Camilla will wear depends ofcourse wether she will be crowned Queen or not. If she is crowned Queen, she'll likely wear George IV State Diadem on her way to the Abbey and be crowned in a Queen Consort Crown. I think they will use one of the existing Queen Consort crowns and modify it for the occassion.
If she is not crowned, i can see her wearing the State Diadem anyway or the Delhi Durbar Tiara.

Kate

I can see Catherine wearing the Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara or maybe the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara for her first time.

Harrys wife if he is married

Possibly her Wedding tiara or maybe the Lotus Flower Tiara

Beatrice

Her Mothers Wedding tiara

Eugenie

Halo Cartier Tiara

Sophie

The Aquamarine 5 Stone Tiara or the Aquamarine Necklace Tiara

Louise (if she has turned 18)

Her mothers smaller Aquamarine Tiara

Anne

Double Meander Tiara or maybe the George VI Sapphire Tiara

Foreign Royal Guests

Mary

The Ruby Parure in it's grandest setting. Unless she is Queen, then she might wear the Pearl Poiree Parure.

Mette-Marit

Queen Maud's Pearl Tiara in the large setting. If she is Queen, she might wear the Emerald Parure instead.

Victoria

Almost impossible to guess. But I think it's pretty good chance that her mother will lend her either of the Leuchtenberg Sapphire Tiara or the Nine Prong Tiara for this extremly grand event. Unless ofcourse Victoria wants to use her signature piece the Baden Fringe Tiara

The Braganza Tiara is out of the question unless Victoria is Queen by then wich she won't be unless a tragedy occurs. I know Crown Princess Louise wore it to the coronation of King George VI in 1937 but she was the first lady of Sweden since 1930 and she was herself a junior member of the British Royal Family. So there was a huge difference that can't be compared to Victoria.

Laurentien

As monarches usually do not attend I think Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien will represent Netherlands. Maybe Catharina-Amalia if she has turned 18 but i think Constantijn and Laurentien is more likely. I guess she'll wear Queen Emmas Diamond tiara or maybe the Mellerio Ruby Tiara.

Belgium

No clue who will be in attendance. If anyone at all (judging from the history between these 2 royal houses) ;) haha. If The Duchess of Brabant has turned 18 she might attend. Or maybe King Philippe will send one of his siblings. Then I think Princess Astrid is more likely than Prince Laurent.

Luxembourg

Gulliaume and Stephanie are given. Hard to guess what she will be wearing. Maybe the Chaumet Emerald Tiara...

Lichtenstein

Probably The Hereditary Prince Alois and The Hereditary Princess Sofie.

Monaco

Prince Albert or Princess Caroline. I wouldn't mind if Albert stayed at home and sent Caroline to represent him. Then we will get Monacos largest jewels ;) hehe

Last edited:
I don't see Kate wearing the girls until queen. I know it was worn by Elizabeth and Mary before queen, but too long associated with the queen. I think we will see Camilla starting to wear it. Honestly it suits her better. Camilla can wear the big guns. The Cambridge is a good size for Kate.

As for Victoria the nine prongs is possible. But like the Braganza, the sapphire is out, bar tragedy. The Leuchtenberg is traditionally only worn by first lady of Sweden. So she doesn't have to be queen, but her mother would have to die. The last time it was worn by another royal woman was on the eve of the King and queens wedding by his sister who was acting First Lady.

I don't see Kate wearing the girls until queen. I know it was worn by Elizabeth and Mary before queen, but too long associated with the queen. I think we will see Camilla starting to wear it. Honestly it suits her better. Camilla can wear the big guns. The Cambridge is a good size for Kate.

As for Victoria the nine prongs is possible. But like the Braganza, the sapphire is out, bar tragedy. The Leuchtenberg is traditionally only worn by first lady of Sweden. So she doesn't have to be queen, but her mother would have to die. The last time it was worn by another royal woman was on the eve of the King and queens wedding by his sister who was acting First Lady.

I think the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara would suit Kate. It's is a big tiara but not among the biggest. Though the only way i can see her wearing it at Charles coronation would be if QEII gives it direct to Kate upon her death. But i don't think she will "give away" any of her private tiaras. Times are different now then when Queen Mary was the Chief of the jewel Box. I can see the media headlines then : "Camilla overlooked" "Camilla gets snubbed by The Queen" etc ;)

Yes i only mentioned the sapphires as a possibility in my head. It would indeed be the first time that a Princess who isn't a first lady would have worn it (if Silvia is still alive). Nine Prong Tiara or maybe the Cameo Tiara is more likely unless she wants to wear the Baden Fringe. Or maybe any of the 2 Connaught Tiaras given it's link to the British Royal family.

At the coronation of King George V in 1911 Crown Prince Gustaf Adolf and King Georges cousin Crown Princess Margareta represented Sweden. Margareta wore the Emerald Parure we see Queen Sonja of Norway wearing today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 180
I think the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara would suit Kate. It's is a big tiara but not among the biggest. Though the only way i can see her wearing it at Charles coronation would be if QEII gives it direct to Kate upon her death. But i don't think she will "give away" any of her private tiaras. Times are different now then when Queen Mary was the Chief of the jewel Box. I can see the media headlines then : "Camilla overlooked" "Camilla gets snubbed by The Queen" etc ;)

Yes i only mentioned the sapphires as a possibility in my head. It would indeed be the first time that a Princess who isn't a first lady would have worn it (if Silvia is still alive). Nine Prong Tiara or maybe the Cameo Tiara is more likely unless she wants to wear the Baden Fringe. Or maybe any of the 2 Connaught Tiaras given it's link to the British Royal family.

There would be no point to 'give it to kate' as it will be hers one day when queen. It's not like her gifting tiaras to Anne or sophie who are not in the main line, and Charles is king, will have limits to no access to jewels. Kate will one day have access to the whole vault.

The girls may not be the largest but certainly large. And one that is almost association to the queen for most. So certainly, it would be seen as many as a snub to Camilla. Camilla may never choose to wear it, and stick to her usual big guns or the queen's other, but IMO it's highly unlikely to see Kate in it. Especially not at the coronation. The last thing they will want is the nasty comments from press and spectators that The queen snubbed Camilla and Kate is trying to over shadow Camilla at the coronation. Ridiculous as it is, clearly it is, we know there would be plenty. If Camilla foes lend her the tiara, will be post coronation.

I honestly think that now Kate has started wearing the lovers knot she will wear it till queen. Leaving some of the smaller tiaras we have seen previous to other ladies as needed. Perhaps the halo, as a nod to her wedding, from time to time. The Cambridge is certainly enough bling for Coronation, and name fitting.

Mary

The Ruby Parure in it's grandest setting. Unless she is Queen, then she might wear the Pearl Poiree Parure.

If mary is Queen by then she will very likely not attend. But f she attends as Crown Princess i think it could be that Queen Margrethe lends her the Pearl tiara with the matching Jewels. It was also loaned to then Crown Princess Ingrid for the coronation in 1937 and in 1953 the Set was loaned to Princess Margaretha.

The girls may not be the largest but certainly large. And one that is almost association to the queen for most. So certainly, it would be seen as many as a snub to Camilla. Camilla may never choose to wear it, and stick to her usual big guns or the queen's other, but IMO it's highly unlikely to see Kate in it. Especially not at the coronation. The last thing they will want is the nasty comments from press and spectators that The queen snubbed Camilla and Kate is trying to over shadow Camilla at the coronation. Ridiculous as it is, clearly it is, we know there would be plenty. If Camilla foes lend her the tiara, will be post coronation.

It could also be that the don't use the Girl toiara for some time in the new reign and keep it in the Vault for some years as it so much associated with Queen Elizabeth II.

Traditionally, monarchs and their consorts do not attend the coronations or inaugurations of other monarchs, but send their heirs or in the case the heir is a minor, the next oldest adult in the family. An example of the latter is at the inauguration of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands, it was Princess Margaret, the first adult in the line of succession, who officially represented the UK. The Prince of Wales was the official representative for the inaugurations of Queen Beatrix and King Willem-Alexander.

If mary is Queen by then she will very likely not attend. But f she attends as Crown Princess i think it could be that Queen Margrethe lends her the Pearl tiara with the matching Jewels. It was also loaned to then Crown Princess Ingrid for the coronation in 1937 and in 1953 the Set was loaned to Princess Margaretha.

Ofcourse she won't attend as Queen. My fingers were a little bit too fast there ;) Then Prince Joachim and Princess Marie will likely go instead. Yes she might very well be offered by Margrethe to wear the Pearl Parure unless she really wants to wear the rubies.

I think Mette-Marit, if still Crown Princess, will be offered by Sonja to wear the emeralds (or Princess Märtha-Louise being offered the same by Mette-Marit if she is Queen). The emeralds was worn by Crown Princess Margaretha of Sweden at the coronation in 1911 and by Crown Princess Märtha of Norway in 1937 and 1953.

What Victoria would wear is more difficult to guess but i think Silvia will lend her one of the grander tiaras that is usually worn by Silvia. Crown Princess Margareta wore the now norwegian emeralds in 1911 and Crown Princess Louise wore the Braganza tiara in 1937 (very unlikely that Victoria will wear that). As far as i know there wasn't any Swedish Royal lady at the coronation in 1953. I belive Prince Bertil was the only one present from Sweden. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:
Traditionally, monarchs and their consorts do not attend the coronations or inaugurations of other monarchs, but send their heirs or in the case the heir is a minor, the next oldest adult in the family. An example of the latter is at the inauguration of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands, it was Princess Margaret, the first adult in the line of succession, who officially represented the UK. The Prince of Wales was the official representative for the inaugurations of Queen Beatrix and King Willem-Alexander.

But on the other hand Denmark was at the coronation in 1953 represented by Prince Axel and Princess Margaretha. The next adult in line of succession would have been the King's brother Prince Knud

But on the other hand Denmark was at the coronation in 1953 represented by Prince Axel and Princess Margaretha. The next adult in line of succession would have been the King's brother Prince Knud
The reason for Prince Knud & his wife Caroline-Mathilde must be that the coronation was only 5 days after the Danish referendum which among other things amended the Act of succession and demoted him from being first in line to being fourth and taking away any chance for him or his heirs to succeed to the throne.

:previous: Highly unlikely. Who was going would have been selected before.

Besides, Axel often represented the king. He and his wife attended Elizabeth's wedding to Philip. And the Ascension of Juliana to the throne. Both events that customarily the heir or most senior adult heir would attend.

Axel wasn't alone. The king of Nepal sent his brother though he had an adult son. The king of Saudi Arabia sent his eighth son, King Fahd. He had seven living older brothers before him in line, three who became king before him, so certainly not heir. Prince Bernhard attended as consort. The queen of Tonga attended. The king of Thailand sent a cousin, who I am not sure was that close to the throne.

Last edited:

Besides, Axel often represented the king. He and his wife attended Elizabeth's wedding to Philip. And the Ascension of Juliana to the throne. Both events that customarily the heir or most senior adult heir would attend. Yet Knud didn't.

Axel wasn't alone. The king of Nepal sent his brother though he had an adult son. a few consorts attended alone. Prince Bernhard attended.
Yes of course it wouldve been decided long before. I highly doubt theyd have the then heir to the throne leave the country during a crucial referendum affecting both the Act of succession and other parts of the constitution.

Yes of course it wouldve been decided long before. I highly doubt theyd have the then heir to the throne leave the country during a crucial referendum affecting both the Act of succession and other parts of the constitution.

That doesn't explain the other events that Axel attended that Knud should have. The Ascension of Juliana usually attended By the heir. But both attended by Axel. It seemed customary for Axel, before the referendum.

Last edited:

Besides, Axel often represented the king. He and his wife attended Elizabeth's wedding to Philip. And the Ascension of Juliana to the throne. Both events that customarily the heir or most senior adult heir would attend. Yet Knud didn't

Are you sure Knud wasn't at Elizabeth and Philip's wedding ? From what can be seen on Wikipedia about the guests at Elizabeth and Philip's wedding, almost the entire danish Royal house attended, including The King and The Queen, The Hereditary Prince (Knud) and The Hereditary Princess (Caroline-Mathilde), Prince Axel and many more.

Last edited:
Well, times have changed enormously since 1937. I'm not even 100% sure that Charles coronation will still be a tiara event (though of course I hope that it will!) It will be more toned done than previous coronations, and I doubt that CP Victoria will opt for the largest whopper in the Swedish vaults. But that coronation is still a long time off, one hopes.

Instead we are rapidly nearing the big birthday bling in Norway. I wonder who might attend from the lower profile Royals. Do you think that someone from the Greek RF will attend? I don't hope for any Berleburgs, not after their recent sad loss. Any Rosenborgs, perhaps?

I'd also love to see HGD Stephanie breaking in a new tiara, it's been quite a while since she spoiled us with a first-timer. So I hope that she's attending.

If Charles has a coronation, I am 100 % sure it will be a tiara event. The real question is if the coronation will be replaced by a more subdued, Dutch-style secular investiture ceremony..

As we have been discussing in another forum, a Coronation is still at least implicitly mandated by law in the UK as a result of the Coronation Oath Act and other similar Acts of Parliament. I don't see it being dropped until the CoE is disestablished and that won't happen early in Charles' s reign, So my guess is Charles will be crowned pretty much like his mother was, but we may get a change when it is William's turn, in the longbrun, I still think the Coronation ceremony will be dropped following the general European trend,

Last edited:
I think it still would be a full coronation but may be in a smaller scale (compared with QEII's), no non-reigning house, probably lesser peerages (were all peerages be invited no matter which rank they are in QEII's coronation?), no robe or coronet for peers or even other royal members. The foreign guests, even the heirs and heirs' wives, I think they may just use their own usual tiaras and will not borrow other "grander" pieces or the "queen's tiaras" like what some posters guess/wish. However I would love to see they wear tiaras that have connections with BRF (Sweden's Edward VII Ruby or the Connaught, Norway's Maud Diamond or Turquoise).

QEII's iconic pieces (GGBI and GD Vladimir, or even Q Alexandra Kokoshnik) probably will have a "break" and not be seen in the coronation (and even whole Charles's reign).

probably will have a "break" and not be seen in the coronation (and even whole Charles's reign).

IF [and its a big if] the Tiaras currently used [regularly] by the Queen [and 'identified' with her]are 'retired' for the next reign, what remains for Queen Camilla to use ?

The 'Honeycomb', the 'Delhi Durbar' and [perhaps] 'Queen Mary's fringe ? No coloured stone Tiaras, except [possibly] 'the Oriental Circlet' ? No Emeralds or Sapphires, or Pearls ?

This hardly seems fair !

IF [and its a big if] the Tiaras currently used [regularly] by the Queen [and 'identified' with her]are 'retired' for the next reign, what remains for Queen Camilla to use ?

The 'Honeycomb', the 'Delhi Durbar' and [perhaps] 'Queen Mary's fringe ? No coloured stone Tiaras, except [possibly] 'the Oriental Circlet' ? No Emeralds or Sapphires, or Pearls ?

This hardly seems fair !

They will not be retired, IMO. More likely, given the rarity of tiara events these days, Camilla will pick and choose what is both comfortable and what looks good on her. She's getting older and certainly can choose to wear tiaras based on her own comfort and need.

That said, I don't think she will rush to wear all of the Queen's tiaras. She's a fairly canny person and will avoid the appearance of overusing the Queen's favorites immediately. JMO.

I think the Girls tiara will not be seen for a long while after the Queen passes, but eventually we’ll start seeing other pieces, particularly those that have been worn, but not as closely associated with her. Of course, also having to take Camilla’s personal preferences into account.

This hardly seems fair !

If you read my comment I was only referring to these iconic pieces (mostly GGBI, GD Vladimir or Q Alexandra Kokoshnik, sort by possibility) but not all. Even if in the most extreme case (Camilla decides to avoid all three), she will still have a number of tiaras with coloured stone (ruby, sapphire and aquamarine), she probably will have around 6-8 tiaras at her disposal.

For the British ladies I guess they may wear their regular but greatest pieces at their disposals rather than borrow other pieces they haven't worn before, [if they don't get new tiaras] the Lover's Knot for Kate (or the Lotus considering the Lover's Knot associates with Diana like some posters suggested), the Five Aquamarines for Sophie (actually her wedding tiara should be her greatest piece considering its historical background......but I just don't want to see it:lol:). And I hope to see Anne with QM's Fringe.

Last edited:
If Camilla is crowned Queen, she might not wear a tiara on the way to the Abbey. Judging from pictures Queen Elizabeth (The Queen Mother) did not in 1937 and Queen Mary did not in 1911.
Queen Elizabeth II wore the State Diadem instead of the Cap of Maintenance in 1953 as she is Queen Regent and not Queen Consort.

I guess The Princess of Wales (Kate) will wear Queen Mary's Lovers Knot Tiara and The Duchess of Sussex will wear her wedding tiara Queen Mary's Diamond Bandeau Tiara.

Beatrice and Eugenie will borrow tiaras, maybe the Halo Tiara and the Strathmore Tiara. I think their mother Sarah Duchess of York will be present and wear her own wedding tiara.

Sophie will likely wear her 5-stone Aquamarine Tiara. If Lady Louise is 18 or above i guess she will wear her mothers wedding tiara.

Princess Anne is one of two Gold Stick-In-Waiting and might be on duty in that capacity. If she is, she will ride in the procession and wear a military uniform.

Don't know if Autumn and Zara would wear tiaras. If they do, i guess it will be the Meander Tiara and the Aquamarine Pineflower Tiara, borrowed from Princess Anne.

Last edited:
Would Sarah be invited to the coronation? She's no longer married to the Duke of York.

Camillas daughter Laura Lopes will probably wear the Cubitt-Shand Tiara.
I think Camillas sister Annabel Elliott will be one of her ladies in waiting and wear a tiara too.

Serena Countess of Snowdon might borrow the Lotus Tiara (wich is also her wedding tiara) and pair it together with the Teck Circle Necklace. A combination her mother in law used.

I would have LOVED to see Lady Sarah Chatto wear the Poltimore Tiara but as we all know, that's sadly not an option. I think she will wear her wedding tiara.

Would Sarah be invited to the coronation? She's no longer married to the Duke of York.

I think she will be invited. She won't get a seat in the Royal Box unless she and Andrew has re-married but still get a prominent seat like recently at the wedding of Harry and Meghan. I think they won't exclude her anymore when Prince Philip has passed away.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom