Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How would this strange practice save any budget money (to have a crown laid on a table next to you instead of wearing it...)?! IMO those europ. monarchies who abolished their coronation rituals, didn´t serve them a good job. A coronation, because of its rarity these days, attracts worldwide attention which especially the smaller countries could gain benefit of. Well, it was their choice.
But their is no reason for Britain, to have another "crownless King". The UK should be proud of and underline its uniqueness and treasured traditions!
No, it is only right for a new, uncrowned monarch to have the Crown being placed beside him at the parliament opening, but of course wear it (that´s what are crowns made for - to be worn!) after the coronation has been performed! And I don´t see how crowning a monarch and after that taking the crown away from him again to put it beside him would make any sense (except, maybe, because of medical reasons of the monarch)...
I know in your country, The Netherlands, there is a practice to have the crown being placed on a credential table. But this is an inauguration ( a grander act of an average "parliament session", so to speak, and the crown is just a heraldic symbol that, during this parliamentary act, the monarch is present), but not a coronation, which is something quite different!
As one observer journalist put it quite right: The coronation should be put under the safety of the National trust, like an old, historic building.
Charles is not a young man. The crown is heavy, and the late queen could not wear it in the last couple of years.....

How would this strange practice save any budget money (to have a crown laid on a table next to you instead of wearing it...)?! IMO those europ. monarchies who abolished their coronation rituals, didn´t serve them a good job. A coronation, because of its rarity these days, attracts worldwide attention which especially the smaller countries could gain benefit of. Well, it was their choice.
But their is no reason for Britain, to have another "crownless King". The UK should be proud of and underline its uniqueness and treasured traditions!
No, it is only right for a new, uncrowned monarch to have the Crown being placed beside him at the parliament opening, but of course wear it (that´s what are crowns made for - to be worn!) after the coronation has been performed! And I don´t see how crowning a monarch and after that taking the crown away from him again to put it beside him would make any sense (except, maybe, because of medical reasons of the monarch)...
I know in your country, The Netherlands, there is a practice to have the crown being placed on a credential table. But this is an inauguration ( a grander act of an average "parliament session", so to speak, and the crown is just a heraldic symbol that, during this parliamentary act, the monarch is present), but not a coronation, which is something quite different!
As one observer journalist put it quite right: The coronation should be put under the safety of the National trust, like an old, historic building.

In all monarchies where a crown is available, this is placed aside and not worn. Except in the UK. But we have seen a successive of State Openings without a crown, and that might set a precedent for the new King.

I hope so because already on petite Elizabeth II, I found that thing a monstrosity and its usage only underlining how totally out of modern time the whole circus is, but that is a personal opinion and we all differ. Already that ermine thing alone, around WA's shoulders during his Investiture was so out of touch, but again, that is a personal taste.

Last edited:
In all monarchies where a crown is available, this is placed aside and not worn. Except in the UK. But we have seen a successive of State Openings without a crown, and that might set a precedent for the new King.

I hope so because already on petite Elizabeth II, I found that thing a monstrosity and its usage only underlining how totally out of modern time the whole circus is, but that is a personal opinion and we all differ. Already that ermine thing alone, around WA's shoulders during his Investiture was so out of touch, but again, that is a personal taste.

Monarchies themselves are out of touch by definition but if your going to persist with them do it properly with crowns, ermine, the lot.

I don't think the Dutch abdication and inauguration would have received more media attention if the king had been crowned instead of inaugurated. While some countries have indeed reduced the inauguration to a rather small ceremony with limited ceremony, I don't think the difference is in being crowned or not.

Personally, the crowning of a non-regnant queen seems a bit weird as they do not have a constitutional role to fulfill, however, I understand it is tradition and especially given the debate on whether Camilla was to be queen or not, it wouldn't make sense for Charles to break with that tradition given that he will want to strengthen her position as his queen and not weaken it.

As to whether the king should continue to wear the crown at each state opening. I can envision Charles to go either way. The fact that his mother didn't wear it for the last few years might give him some flexibility in deciding on whether he is going to wear it or not.

The duchess wore this tiara frequently during her tenure as Mistress of the Robes at State Visits and the State Opening of Parliament. The tiara which I believe belonged to her sister in law?
Yes, that is my understanding as well.

The duchess wore this tiara frequently during her tenure as Mistress of the Robes at State Visits and the State Opening of Parliament. The tiara which I believe belonged to her sister in law?

Who is the sister-in-law of Olivia Grafton, Duchess of Grafton?

Who is the sister-in-law of Olivia Grafton, Duchess of Grafton?

The late Duchess of Grafton, of whom we're speaking, was named Ann, not Olivia. The sister-in-law in question is Ann's, not the current duchess. The tiara is much older than someone born in the late 70s.

Ann had three brothers, so it would have to be one of their wives.

Will Queen Camilla wear the Dagmar Necklace?

Queen Alexandra wore the Dagmar Necklace at the 1902 Coronation.
From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Dagmar Necklace

Possibly on a State visit to Denmark but not to the Coronation… Didn’t QEII have it altered as it was terribly tricky to wear ?

Queen Alexandra in accordance with the style of her time, wore an enormous amount of jewels to her coronation… No Queen has done that since… Not even Queen Mary had that much

:previous: I think it's QEII's alternation makes it tricky to wear (taking off the centre bottom cross element and some pearl drops). I wish they will alter it before it's being used again, either putting the pearls and cross back or taking off a couple of bottom diamond and pearl strands would work.

The Countess of Pembroke could wear the Pembroke Sapphire and Diamond Tiara.

At her father-in-law's 1902 coronation, Princess Mary wore the Kensington Bow Brooch and the Women of Hampshire Brooch.
Which brooch might Queen Consort Camilla wear?

At her father-in-law's 1902 coronation, Princess Mary wore the Kensington Bow Brooch and the Women of Hampshire Brooch.
Which brooch might Queen Consort Camilla wear?

I am hoping a stomacher reappears, or perhaps the Cockade brooch.

Here’s my guess:
QC: Diamond Diadem + QEQM Crown with the huge KIN Diamond and the Coronation set;
PoW: the CLK + huge pearl earrings + jubilee Diamond and pearl necklace;
DoS: wedding bandeau + some Saudi/Diana diamond set + her Cartier wedding bracelet;
CoW: Aquamarine convertible necklace as a tiara + maybe a diamond rivière;
Anne: huge mystery meander tiara + the diamond Festoon necklace;
Zara: her wedding ensemble + maybe her mother scroll necklace;
Beatrice: Fringe + fringe/private necklace. No earrings;
Eugenie: wedding tiara + no necklace + her emerald wedding earrings;
Louise: 5-aquamarine tiara if any (don’t think she will at all) + some of her mother’s private jewelry;
Duchess of Gloucester: Indian tiara + her big rivières and brooches;
Princess Michael: Festoon tiara + her circle diamond earrings + giant semi precious necklace / her rivière;
Lady Gabriella: Fringe + random stuff from her mother;
Alexandra: her full parure with pearls;
Sarah, DoY: her wedding tiara & gift parure. I think she’ll be invited and still has the jewels.

The Gloucesters will hand out some minor tiaras to their female members.

This scenario is very sad for us jewelry lovers, but to me, it is among the most realistic ones…

Last edited:
Here’s my guess:
QC: Diamond Diadem + QEQM Crown with the huge KIN Diamond and the Coronation set;
PoW: the CLK + huge pearl earrings + jubilee Diamond and pearl necklace;
DoS: wedding bandeau + some Saudi/Diana diamond set + her Cartier wedding bracelet;
CoW: Aquamarine convertible necklace as a tiara + maybe a diamond rivière;
Anne: huge mystery meander tiara + the diamond Festoon necklace;
Zara: her wedding ensemble + maybe her mother scroll necklace;
Beatrice: Fringe + fringe/private necklace. No earrings;
Eugenie: wedding tiara + no necklace + her emerald wedding earrings;
Louise: 5-aquamarine tiara if any (don’t think she will at all) + some of her mother’s private jewelry;
Duchess of Gloucester: Indian tiara + her big rivières and brooches;
Princess Michael: Festoon tiara + her circle diamond earrings + giant semi precious necklace / her rivière;
Lady Gabriella: Fringe + random stuff from her mother;
Alexandra: her full parure with pearls;
Sarah, DoY: her wedding tiara & gift parure. I think she’ll be invited and still has the jewels.

The Gloucesters will hand out some minor tiaras to their female members.

This scenario is very sad for us jewelry lovers, but to me, it is among the most realistic ones…

The Diamond Diadem would be appropriated to this event

I could be wrong, but I suspect the only people wearing tiaras and other regalia at the coronation itself will be the King and Queen and perhaps the Prince and Princess of Wales.

However, I wouldn’t rule out a white tie banquet that week with tiaras.

I could be wrong, but I suspect the only people wearing tiaras and other regalia at the coronation itself will be the King and Queen and perhaps the Prince and Princess of Wales.

However, I wouldn’t rule out a white tie banquet that week with tiaras.

That sounds entirely reasonable to me. Perhaps there will be a white tie banquet on the night of the Coronation.

?

I'm hoping Camilla pulls out the Delhi Durbar again for any of the celebrations surrounding the coronation.

Same here. She has only worn it once but it looked stunning on her. She can really carry off big jewels well.

Monarchies themselves are out of touch by definition but if your going to persist with them do it properly with crowns, ermine, the lot.

I agree. I want it to be done to the hilt.

Duchessrachel, I agree. The royal ladies should wear tiaras! Why hide tiaras?

I agree. But I also think the new monarch may perceive them as out of fashion or touch in the current times. If he wants tiaras, KCIII may want them in a very slimmed-down state-visit-like fashion. Nothing more than we have already seen.

I think most of us want to see jewels and combinations we have never seen before… but it’s not up to us.

I’d like to see robes, crowns and capes. And I think that anyone who has a tiara should be entitled to wear it with no distinctions.

Queen Mary wore the Cullinan III and Cullinan IV diamonds for her coronation in 1911.
Will Queen Camilla wear the Cullinan III and Cullinan IV diamonds at King Charles III's Coronation?

Queen Mary wore the Cullinan III and Cullinan IV diamonds for her coronation in 1911.
Will Queen Camilla wear the Cullinan III and Cullinan IV diamonds at King Charles III's Coronation?

Cullinan III would be a good alternative to the Koh-i-nor in the Consort's Crown.

Back
Top Bottom