Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve no doubts that at least those sitting close to the altar in the so called ”coronation theatre” will have dresscode ”uniform or tailcoat for men and evening dress for women” followed by a TMBW (Tiara May Be Worn)…

Those sitting in the back of the Church may have dresscode ”Tuxedo for men and evening dress for women” without the expectation of tiaras…

I can’t imagine a british coronation being downgraded to morning suit and hats… State Opening of Parliament perhaps but not the coronation

I belive The Prince of Wales and the premier peers in each rank will do their homage, but i don’t think all the peers will be invited if they stick to the 2200 persons capacity of Westminster Abbey and does not install extra galleries

In my opinion, mixing dress codes is very messy. We saw it at at the Dutch inauguration where the dress code was white tie/uniform, long dress and orders for the Dutch royal family and foreign royal guests, and morning dress for the MPs and everybody else.

In the British coronation, they could have white tie/uniform, long dress and orders with additional tiaras only for the Royal Family and foreign royals, but black tie for the others would seem completely out of place. In fact, morning dress would look better than black tie for that type of event IMHO even if it contrasted with the tailcoats/uniforms and tiaras of the royals. Peers will probably wear their red robes ; MPs and government ministers in the Commons could be in morning suit. I am not sure that hereditary peers in the different grades will be necessarily invited unless they are members of the House of Lords. In fact, that might probably be one of the changes that will take place.

Just my opinion, assuming the ceremony will be indeed toned down as I expect it to be compared to previous coronations.

Last edited:
I think hats would not work at last not for the members of the Royal Family, because they put oin their Coronets the moment the Kings is crowned. At last it was like this in 1953.

I think hats would not work at last not for the members of the Royal Family, because they put oin their Coronets the moment the Kings is crowned. At last it was like this in 1953.

I do not think the coronets would get used this time around.

No because the tiara has passed out of the family. The Duchess who wore it first had 4 daughters and the daughters descendants have it.

Which daughter's descendant has the Norfolk Tiara?

Deleted post

Mods: Might you please rename this thread "Tiara and jewel guessing for the coronation of King Charles III"? Thank you.

Judith-Rose Seymour, Duchess of Somerset could wear the Diamond Palmette Tiara that was worn at the Coronation of King Edward VII in 1902.

Judith-Rose Seymour, Duchess of Somerset could wear the Diamond Palmette Tiara that was worn at the Coronation of King Edward VII in 1902.
Do you have a pic? If you do please post the link or pic. I haven’t heard much of the Somerset family jewels

I think that there will be very, very few of the British nobility at the coronation. Up until the last coronation the nobility still had seats in Parliament. They were members of the government - only a select few today still are. HM's funeral gives us a very good clue as to who will be there with the limited seating capacity.

I do, however, expect to see the majority of the BRF there. I also expect, and hope, that it will still be a tiara occasion. The optics of having the King crowned, while everyone else is dressed rather austerely in hats and mourning suits, would look rather jarring.

However, the upcoming winter, and the way the markets have been reacting to the current governments' actions, makes me worry about the mood and state of the nation come coronation time.

I think that there will be very, very few of the British nobility at the coronation. Up until the last coronation the nobility still had seats in Parliament. They were members of the government - only a select few today still are. HM's funeral gives us a very good clue as to who will be there with the limited seating capacity.

I do, however, expect to see the majority of the BRF there. I also expect, and hope, that it will still be a tiara occasion. The optics of having the King crowned, while everyone else is dressed rather austerely in hats and mourning suits, would look rather jarring.

However, the upcoming winter, and the way the markets have been reacting to the current governments' actions, makes me worry about the mood and state of the nation come coronation time.

Well said. I really do not expect to see much nobility there, unless they occupy specific positions in government and civic society. I also hope not many ministers, MPs or Lords are present. Instead, there spaces should be offered to people of all walks of life from across the land.

Assuming that its hopefully still with the family,1902 was a long time ago!

Assuming that its hopefully still with the family,1902 was a long time ago!
True, but the family aren't exactly struggling for money so it might not have been sold.

I don’t think the coronation numbers of the nobility will reduce because of the fact that nobles are no longer politically prominent previously. The peers who weren’t politically active still went to coronations

The Dowager Duchess of Westminster could wear the Bargration tiara or the Princess Mary fringe tiara.

It's probably safe to assume that Eugenie will wear the Greville kokoshnik if attendees are wearing tiaras. But I wonder if King Charles will be generous enough to lend the Queen Mary fringe to Beatrice, despite it being her wedding tiara.

With his fervent plan of downsizing the monarchy, he may not be agreeable to loaning out a tiara with such important history to a very junior member of the RF. Instead, keeping the "big guns" for the small inner circle of women.

And for all that is merciful, please don't let poor Lady Louise suffer the horror of having to wear her mother's wedding antlers!

Her mother's antlers got a makeover. It looks a bit more like a real tiara now.

You never know; it might suit Louise better.

I would love to see the Princess of Wales wear the Love Trophy choker to the Coronation of King Charles.

It's probably safe to assume that Eugenie will wear the Greville kokoshnik if attendees are wearing tiaras. But I wonder if King Charles will be generous enough to lend the Queen Mary fringe to Beatrice, despite it being her wedding tiara.

With his fervent plan of downsizing the monarchy, he may not be agreeable to loaning out a tiara with such important history to a very junior member of the RF. Instead, keeping the "big guns" for the small inner circle of women.

And for all that is merciful, please don't let poor Lady Louise suffer the horror of having to wear her mother's wedding antlers!

I am not convinced Beatrice and Eugenie will be wearing tiaras to the Coronation. If they are, then I suspect other smaller tiaras from the collection can potentially be found from them including the Cartier Scroll tiara, perhaps the Strathmore Rose or the Sapphire and diamond bandeau.

I am not convinced Beatrice and Eugenie will be wearing tiaras to the Coronation. If they are, then I suspect other smaller tiaras from the collection can potentially be found from them including the Cartier Scroll tiara, perhaps the Strathmore Rose or the Sapphire and diamond bandeau.

I could be wrong but I think the Sapphire Bandeau and Strathmore Rose are actually in similar size as the Greville Emerald. Let's hope the ladies will wear them so we can know the truth ?.

I'm quite sure if Eugenie does wear a tiara, it will be her wedding one. OTOH I'm not sure about Beatrice and the QM Fringe, even though I wish she will use it in the coronation if she will wear tiara. Charles could honour his mother by letting the girls use what his mother lent to them for their wedding, after all it could be an one-off loan only.

If the Fringe is too "important" for non working royals, it will be nice if Anne uses the Fringe, then Beatrice could use Strathmore Rose.

Realistically Sophie probably use her wedding tiara and Louise gets one of her mother's aquamarine, but I hope Louise will use the Sapphire Bandeau and Sophie use the Persian Turquoise.

I think Kate could use the Delhi Durbar in the coronation, and continues using the tiaras used by previous two PoWs during her time as PoW. I know the Honeycomb shall be a better option as the background of the Delhi Durbar is controversial to some but I don't think Camilla will let go of her favourite, and I think Kate could pull of the tallness of the Delhi Durbar (anyway please take off the little bar at centre top before anyone use it).

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I think the Sapphire Bandeau and Strathmore Rose are actually in similar size as the Greville Emerald. Let's hope the ladies will wear them so we can know the truth ?.

I'm quite sure if Eugenie does wear a tiara, it will be her wedding one. OTOH

Whilst the Greville Emerald may not be a very big tiara, it has an 80 carat Emerald, which is rare and very special. To me, it puts it in a different league to the Strathmore or the Sapphire bandeau.

If the Fringe is too "important" for non working royals, it will be nice if Anne uses the Fringe, then Beatrice could use Strathmore Rose.

I would be surprised if Anne used a tiara other than the three she has on rotation. I know she once wore the Double Meander, but I really do think that was a one-off.

Realistically Sophie probably use her wedding tiara and Louise gets one of her mother's aquamarine, but I hope Louise will use the Sapphire Bandeau and Sophie use the Persian Turquoise.

If Louise were to wear a tiara, I suspect it will be one of the two aquamarine tiaras Sophie has used previously.

I think Kate could use the Delhi Durbar in the coronation, and continues using the tiaras used by previous two PoWs during her time as PoW. I know the Honeycomb shall be a better option as the background of the Delhi Durbar is controversial to some but I don't think Camilla will let go of her favourite, and I think Kate could pull of the tallness of the Delhi Durbar (anyway please take off the little bar at centre top before anyone use it).

If Catherine were to wear a differemt tiara for the Coronation, I suspect it might be the Doble Meander or the Queen Mary Fringe. Whichever tiara she uses probably become one of her regular all diamond tiaras.

I do not believe the Delhi Durbar tiara is an appropriate one for Catherine to wear at the Coronation.

Whilst the Greville Emerald may not be a very big tiara, it has an 80 carat Emerald, which is rare and very special. To me, it puts it in a different league to the Strathmore or the Sapphire bandeau.

Actually i think the Geville emerald tiara is quiet a big one in the league of the Boucheron Honeycomb. Alone how far it goes on the sides it is almost a circlet. so certainly not camaprbale with the Strathmore rose tiara and probably the sapphire bandeau but from the later one there are not really good quality pics.

Which tiara would you consider to be the grandest?

I hope to see the Teck Crescent Tiara and the Queen Mary's Sapphire Tiara.

Back
Top Bottom