Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Anne is one of two Gold Stick-In-Waiting

ALL officers-in-waiting [except the Earl Marshal, the Duke of Norfolk] lose their posts on the death of the Monarch they serve [and break their 'wands of office' in token of it] Thus the new Monarch has a 'clean slate on which to build his/her household.
So unless the Princess Royal is re-appointed by her Brother she won't attend his Coronation in that capacity.

Last edited:
ALL officers-in-waiting [except the Earl Marshal, the Duke of Norfolk] lose their posts on the death of the Monarch they serve [and break their 'wands of office' to prove it] Thus the new Monarch has a 'clean slate on which to build his/her household.
So unless the Princess Royal is re-appointed by her Brother she won't attend his Coronation in that capacity.

Ok, So she'll automatically resign as Colonel of the Blues & Royals upon the death of QEII ?

I understand that it is always the Colonels of the Life Guards and the Blues & Royals who are Gold Sticks-In-Waiting.

Last edited:
^ I believe so..

To quote the detailed article [by the Guardian] on the subject of 'Operation London Bridge' [the plans for the 10 days following the death of HMQ -
ALL office holders at the Palace 'are on borrowed time'..

Last edited:
I think she will be invited. She won't get a seat in the Royal Box unless she and Andrew has re-married but still get a prominent seat like recently at the wedding of Harry and Meghan. I think they won't exclude her anymore when Prince Philip has passed away.

By all accounts, it's not just Prince Philip that doesn't like her. Prince Charles, if you believe the reports, doesn't care for her either.

By all accounts, it's not just Prince Philip that doesn't like her. Prince Charles, if you believe the reports, doesn't care for her either.

She is indeed not a very popular person in the Royal Family. But i think Prince Philip is the hardest one. I don't think The Queen and Sarah is on that bad terms. But The Queen has more or less no choice to refrain from inviting her, to keep the peace in her family if her husband dislikes Sarah so much that the media reports says.

Haven't heard that Charles and Sarah would be on very bad terms but William does not like her (if the media are correct) as he doesn't think she is discreet enough (=speaking out in media on a regular basis about the Royal family).

I suspect she wouldn't attend, she didn't got to William and Kate's wedding so it appears its Harry who wanted her at his wedding, Andrew is after all his godfather. That's Harry's right but I suspect Charles might not want her there and may well say his coronation is an official event as monarch not a personal event like a wedding. I think Charles doesn't like her enough to risk inviting her as it where.

I hope if Anne attends in tiara she makes another appearance in that double meander tiara she was spotted wearing once in a blurry state banquet photo.

I would love the royal ladies to wear a new to them tiara but suspect they may stick with their already used "big gun":
Kate - Lovers Knot
Meghan - Wedding tiara or maybe by then another tiara she uses
Anne - the mysterious Double Meander Tiara
Zara - Greek Meander Tiara
Autumn - Festoon Tiara
Beatrice - York tiara
Eugenie - maybe Strathmore Rose
Sophie - 5 Aquamarine Tiara
D. Gloucester - Cartier Indian Tiara
P Michael Kent - Festoon Tiara

Last edited:
I think alot depends on how close The Duke and Duchess of York really is by then and how good Charles and Andrew get along. They haven't exactly been best friends but their contact seems to be better nowdays i think. If (and that's a huge if) the Duke and Duchess will remarry when Charles becomes King, Sarah and the Royal family will need to bury the hatchet.

Anyway, i hope this won't be a sore point at Charles coronation. That's meant to be a day of joy and celebration.

Last edited:
Please stay on topic. Further off-topic posts will be deleted without notice.

Catherine - The Cartier Halo Tiara

Meghan - The Teck Crescent Tiara

Catherine - The Cartier Halo Tiara

Meghan - The Teck Crescent Tiara

I think it is unlikely that the future Queen will wear one of the smallest tiara's in the BRF collection, and the wife of the then 5th in line (assuming no more Cambridge children) is given a substantially larger and older, new to her tiara for such a key event.

As Catherine's rank will be higher than it is now, I think she might wear Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara as it's a change from the Lover's Knot but not associated with The Queen at state events.

Meghan's rank will remain the same so her wedding tiara would be appropriate & it also suits her beautifully.

As Catherine's rank will be higher than it is now, I think she might wear Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara as it's a change from the Lover's Knot but not associated with The Queen at state events.

Meghan's rank will remain the same so her wedding tiara would be appropriate & it also suits her beautifully.

It is possible that Catherine is given access to the Fringe when she is Duchess of Cornwall / Princess of Wales, but I would have thought that Camilla may retain that for her use as Queen. It is a neutral diamond tiara of size, and not one of the ones that QE2 has used an awful lot in recent years, unlike the Girls, the Kokoshnik or the GDV

My guesses for the Coronation would be -
HM the Queen [Camilla] -nothing until crowned - [see Hans-Rickard's persuasive reasoning below].
HRH the Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge [Catherine] -either the Lovers Knot or Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara.
HRH the Duchess of Sussex [Meghan] -Her wedding Tiara
HRH the Princess Royal [Anne] -her festoon Tiara.
HRH the Duchess of Edinburgh [Sophie] -an 'upgrade', perhaps the Lotus or Halo/scroll Tiara
HRH Princess Beatrice -her Wedding Tiara [if married at that point]
HRH Princess Eugenie- her Wedding Tiara.
HRH the Duchess of Gloucester [Birgitte]- the Honeysuckle.
HG the Duchess of Kent [Sylvana]-whatever remains unflogged..
HRH Princess Michael of Kent -her Festoon Tiara.

Last edited:
If Camilla is crowned Queen, i don't think she will wear a tiara during the Gold State Coach ride to the Abbey. Neither Queen Alexandra, Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth (The Queen Mother) did. I think she will be crowned with the Consort Crown of Queen Mary or Queen Elizabeth (The Queen Mother), as they were both made with the aim to be used by future Queen Consorts.

I think The Duchess of Gloucester will wear Princess Marie Louise's Cartier Indian Tiara and Princess Michael of Kent the Kent Fringe or Festoon Tiara. If Pricess Alexandra is attending, she'll likely wear her Ogilvy Tiara.
It will be interesting to see if the Kent and Gloucester children will wear any of the tiaras that are in the families...

Will also be interesting if we will see Autumn Philips and Zara wearing tiaras from Princess Anne's collection. And also for the children of Princess Margaret but i think lady Sarah could wear the same tiara she did for her Wedding and Lord Linley still has the Teck circle necklace so Serena could use this as tiara.

Last edited:
also for the children of princess Margaret

I think the family still have Margaret's ravishing turquoise Tiara.. so one of them may wear that ?

I think the family still have Margaret's ravishing turquoise Tiara.. so one of them may wear that ?

Could be but that was also thought about the Lotus flower tiara until she popped up on Catherine's head.

My guess:

Kate: the Halo (or the Lotus)
Meghan: the Diamond Bandeau
Anne: the Double Meander (which we only had seen once:bang:) or QM's Fringe
Zara: the Greek Meander
Autumn: the Festoon
Beatrice: her future wedding tiara (btw I don't think it will be the York and hope it will be QM's Fringe)
Eugenie: the Greville Kokoshnik
Sophie: her wedding tiara
Louise: the Five Aquamarines

Different stories if they are given new tiara (which I don't think it will happen).

It would be nice to see some grander tiara, but I also don't think it is necessary for the ladies to get a major upgrade for the coronation. After all the coronation is about the new monarch. I think for the rest ladies they will just wear what they had already accessed. Grander tiaras may be borrowed and worn for the gala or reception?

Other reason is that they also have to wear the coronet. Grander pieces may be too much and heavy (I can't imagine wearing the Lovers Knot with coronet, just too too too busy). And I don't think it's a good idea to wear some new-to-you tiaras which you don't have enough time to explore to such important event.

Yes the Halo is my first choice for Kate. It's relatively small (and I insist that it can be substantial if the wearer gets the right hair, see Margaret), but it goes well with the coronet (again, see Margaret, I think their coronets will be same type?). I like the idea that wearing tiara with "coronation history" to coronation. The Lotus is nice too but I would prefer the Halo as its shape and style suits Kate better. And maybe she will get some other major jewels, e.g. the Godman necklace or the Greville earrings? Somehow I think that if she really wear a new grand tiara, it would be some long-forgotten tiara in the vault and it becomes her another signature piece as PoW.

I am hoping QM's Fringe for Anne (or Beatrice as her wedding tiara) as I hope its next wearer will be, also like its previous wearer, princess by birth. (OT I would love to see Charlotte wear it in far future too.)

For Sophie, I know her wedding tiara is not visually pleasing but it has the most historical value......I don't think she will get a more significant new loan as she already had three, so let's hope she will alter or remake it. And please also alter the Five Aquamarines and take away these wires on the base, it can be a nice tiara for Louise.

An OT question: will the Cambridges automatically become the Prince/ss of Wales once Charles become King or they have to wait until Charles create them PoW?

And also for the chidlren of pricness margaret but i think lady Sarah could wear the same tiara she did for her Wedding and Lord Linley still has the Teck cirlce neckalce so Serena could use this as tiara.

You mean Lord Snowdon ? Lord Linley is now his son.

Seriously!!! Hahaha! HM is very much alive to this instant It's a sort of "Oh we can't wait to see who's who and what's what comes the day..." and we're so spoiled in getting our way,a bit silly really.

And it doesn't show much respect towards HM and her long Reign & life either.

As far as I'm concerned HM could/should Abdicate but that's like cursing in a church in the UK haha,poor girl should have some time for her own and a Coronation for her son in which she still participates by attending in the flesh instead of an eulogy on days gone by.

But,she does keep her promiss once made while in SA and no-one can keep her from doing just that and only that.Admirable and stubborn,but a lovely stubbornness.

Will also be interesting if we will see Autumn Philips and Zara wearing tiaras from Princess Anne's collection. And also for the chidlren of pricness margaret but i think lady Sarah could wear the same tiara she did for her Wedding and Lord Linley still has the Teck cirlce neckalce so Serena could use this as tiara.

The traditional rule as far as i know for the most formal occassions has been that titled women wear tiaras and non-titled women not. If that rule is followed The Countess of Snowdon and Lady Chatto will definitely wear tiaras but probably not Mrs Tindall or Mrs Phillips. If they do it anyway, i think they will wear their wedding tiaras. Princess Anne may wear a tiara from her mother. Unless if she will continue in her current capacity as Colonel of the Blues and Royals and Goldstick-In-Waiting, also in the next reign. If she does, she will wear uniform.

T Unless if she will continue in her current capacity as Colonel of the Blues and Royals and Goldstick-In-Waiting, also in the next reign. If she does, she will wear uniform.

She can continue her role as Goldstiick in Waiting but please not at the coronation. There we want to see her in all her fienry not in an Uniform.

She can continue her role as Goldstiick in Waiting but please not at the coronation. There we want to see her in all her fienry not in an Uniform.

You mean Lord Snowdon ? Lord Linley is now his son.
Yes i meant Lord Snowdon and forgot for a moment that he has succeeeded his father.

Other reason is that they also have to wear the coronet. Grander pieces may be too much and heavy (I can't imagine wearing the Lovers Knot with coronet, just too too too busy). And I don't think it's a good idea to wear some new-to-you tiaras which you don't have enough time to explore to such important event.

An OT question: will the Cambridges automatically become the Prince/ss of Wales once Charles become King or they have to wait until Charles create them PoW?
Actually there have been bigger tiaras worn at past coronation like Princess marina, dcuhess of kent wore the festoon tiara in 1953 and Pricness mary, Countess of Harewood wore a quiet big tiara in 1953.
I actually think that they will stick to diamond or diamond and pearl tiaras and dont use much with coloured stones.
William and Catherine will not automatic become Prince and Princess of wales. That title has to be granted (unlike Duke of Cornwall which is for atuomatic for the oldest son and heir of the Monarch). but i would think if Charles intends to do so hew ill do it in time for the coronation.

Last edited:
I suspect she'd prefer the uniform to a dress & tiara. :D

I suspect she'd prefer the uniform to a dress & tiara. :D

I agree, she attends the State Opening of Parliament in this attire and looks much happier than when she used to go dressed in a dress and tiara.

On a purely frivolous note..I will miss not seeing Autumn Phillips and the Countess of Snowden at Charles coronation. I had imagined it would be the only other time we would see them in tiaras.

On a purely frivolous note..I will miss not seeing Autumn Phillips and the Countess of Snowden at Charles coronation. I had imagined it would be the only other time we would see them in tiaras.

Does rhe current Earl of Snowdon own tiaras inherited from Princess Margaret’s estate ? I know some of her personal jewels , including the magnificent Poltimore tiara, were sold, but is there any tiara left ?

Last edited:
Does rhe current Earl of Snowdon own tiaras inherited from Princess Margaret’s estate ? I know some of her personal jewels , including the magnificent Poltimore tiara, were sold, but is there any tiara left ?

Possibly.

Margaret owner three tiaras. As well as wearing the lotus and halo.

-Poltimore
-Snowden floral tiara
- Persian turquoise

The Poltimore we know was auctioned off. The floral was inherited by Sarah. The turquoise wasn’t in the auction so may be in a vault some where.

I imagine Lady Chatto would wear the Snowden Floral but the status of the Teck Circlet Necklace/Tiara and the Persian Turquoise Tiara is still a mystery.

I imagine Lady Chatto would wear the Snowden Floral but the status of the Teck Circlet Necklace/Tiara and the Persian Turquoise Tiara is still a mystery.

According to The Queens Diamonds book published in 2012, the Teck circle necklace / tiara is in the possession of Lord Snowdon. Following his recent separation, it is unlikely that Lady Snowdon will attend Charles' coronation and it is entirely possible that Sarah wears the necklace as a tiara at the coronation.

Back
Top Bottom