Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not surprising to see that no tiara-events is announced so far (except for the coronation service perhaps) as this is the way UK has been doing for decades…

There has usually been an opera gala in the days around the coronation and one or two celebratory coronation dinners at Buckingham Palace (having replaced the former lavish coronation banquet at Westminster Hall that William IV scrapped) but i wonder if anything like that will happen this time…. It may be deemed as ”out of touch”

After reading the coronation program I'm now afraid we may see only one tiara from the whole event, or even worse it would be completely no tiara.

The economic situation in Britain right now is... not great and unsettling, to put it mildly. Too many tiaras might be seen as insensitive.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how a less-splendid coronation will fix things or cheer anyone up.

Last edited:
The economic situation in Britain right now is... not great and unsettling, too put it mildly. Too many tiaras might be seen as insensitive.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how a less-splendid coronation will fix things or cheer anyone up.

And the ”Big Help Out” thing on Monday also contradicts that. How can they expect lots of more people be willing to do Volunteer-work when people can hardly survive on the salary from their paid work ?

No i don’t think the absence of gala dinners have anything with the economic situation to do… It’s just the way the British RF does things nowdays and we have to accept it…

The Scandinavian royals and BeNeLux royals spoils us with tiara-events to the point that we gets too used to it ?

While I never would have expected any kind of gala dinner, I think the recent release was focused only on public-facing events, and a dinner would be anywhere from mostly private (all we see are a few stills and maybe 90 seconds of rota footage that ignores the foreign guests completely) to completely private (we just see frighteningly-lit pictures of the guests in their cars).

It contradicts with all the pomp and circumstance around the State Funeral of Queen Elizabeth. The real costs is in the deployment of thousands of troops, in the logistics, the security, the accomodation. Grand jewels cost nothing as these are already in the cassettes for generations. The Princess of Wales or the Princess Royal with or without a diadem makes no single penny of difference costs-wise.

But will Lady Louise wear one? The rule that unmarried women don’t wear tiaras is not applying to the BRF. Hope she wears one.

There has never been such a rule anywhere… It originated in the media when Beatrice and Eugenie choosed to not wear tiaras to the CHOGM dinner in London 2018, but it was a black tie dinner so tiaras was optional and they were free to choose not to…

Princess Margaret, Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra all wore tiaras long before they married… It was just a different era

I’m sure Lady Louise will wear a tiara if that’s the dresscode… Probably borrowing one of her mothers

Last edited:
Princess Margaret, Princess Anne and Princess Alexandra all wore tiaras long before they married… It was just a different era

I’m sure Lady Louise will wear a tiara if that’s the dresscode… Probably borrowing one of her mothers

It crossed my mind for a millisecond that Lady Louise would look smashing inMeghan’s bridal tiara but then realized that’s probably a no-go.
And that’s a shame because that beautiful tiara may be not seen again for generations.

It crossed my mind for a millisecond that Lady Louise would look smashing inMeghan’s bridal tiara but then realized that’s probably a no-go.
And that’s a shame because that beautiful tiara may be not seen again for generations.

Perhaps she could wear Kate's Wedding tiara instead. Or the strathmore rose tiara.
And yes i guess we will not see the tiara worn by Meghan for years to come. Expect if they attend the coronation then she will perhaps wear it again if it is a tiara Event.

It is not without reason they haven’t been worn since Russia invaded Ukraine (in 2014)

Anything that has with Russia to do right now is politically sensitive, wether it is a gift from Tsar Nicholas or ”Tsar” Vladimir

The topazes came to Sweden with Victoria of Baden, so they're not a gift to Sweden by any tsar. The topazes themselves are Brazilian. I don't know who made the parure but it may well have been Bolin.

Silvia very rarely wear the necklace, last time I remember for the Nobels was in 2008. So no, nothing to do with the Ukraine war.

Perhaps she could wear Kate's Wedding tiara instead. Or the strathmore rose tiara.
And yes i guess we will not see the tiara worn by Meghan for years to come. Expect if they attend the coronation then she will perhaps wear it again if it is a tiara Event.

Stefan, I also was considering The Strathmore Rose Tiara for Lady Louise. Some people might not know that this tiara even existed in the British Royal Family.

But will Lady Louise wear one? The rule that unmarried women don’t wear tiaras is not applying to the BRF. Hope she wears one.
As has already been explained, there is no rule about wearing a tiara except that you be "out" or seventeen at the very least. More often it is eighteen and you will see any Princesses of the Blood wearing a Tiara if it is deemed a "White Tie" affair with medals and ribbons.

I can just see that consummate lover and appreciator of historic jewellery Charles with his darling wife Camilla meandering through the vault to familiarise themselves as to exactly what is there and, King Charles's eyes lighting on the perfect piece to loan to "little" Louise for such an occasion.

That is the only hope I have of a tiara event, that Charles decides to haul out the beauty and share it with the country. The PM is already waxing lyrical about the historic occasion and that now is the time to raise the spirits of the people. Isn't it wonderful that there is a whole lot of history in every single piece of jewellery there is?

Since it could not be seen as conspicuous consumption in the form of obscene expenditure on bling, it may very well be seen as part of sharing the entire experience. If anyone has seen the three different robes worn by the last three monarchs (all three must weigh a ton), those made of gold thread, etc. it could fly.

For Edward's Coronation, the UK had not yet recovered from the Great Depression and for Elizabeth's they were still using ration books after WWII. The morale of the country was seen as the pre-eminent consideration. I can hope!

Hasn't the Countess of Wessex 2 tiaras of her own,Lady Louise could wear one of them?

Hasn't the Countess of Wessex 2 tiaras of her own,Lady Louise could wear one of them?

Sure. And I strongly hope that Sophie won’t wear one of her own tiaras. They are simply too girly (5 Aquas) or not nice (hew remade wedding tiara). Hope Charles hands her a lifetime loan, a serious tiara with some heritage.

I'd like to see Sophie become Duchess of Edinburgh and a new Edinburgh tiara created. The vaults probably contain enough abandoned brooches and loose diamonds to create a tiara at minimal cost. The coronation would be the ideal event for its debut.

Lady Louise could wear the Strathmore Rose - it needs an outing.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to see Persian turquoise on Sophie (if it still is in the vault, but I guess she would just stick to her wedding one) and Russian sapphire on Louise. I wish to see the York sisters and Zara use their wedding tiara again as well.

I'd like to see Sophie become Duchess of Edinburgh and a new Edinburgh tiara created. The vaults probably contain enough abandoned brooches and loose diamonds to create a tiara at minimal cost. The coronation would be the ideal event for its debut.

Lady Louise could wear the Strathmore Rose - it needs an outing.

There have been rumors forever that the Strathmore Rose was too fragile to wear, which I was always skeptical of. Who would keep their jewels maintained better than the reigning family of Great Britain??? I also read that some jewelry watchers thought that maybe Lady Tatiana Montbatten wore it for her wedding recently, but the photos are poor.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-weds-Alexander-Dru-Winchester-Cathedral.html

There have been rumors forever that the Strathmore Rose was too fragile to wear, which I was always skeptical of. Who would keep their jewels maintained better than the reigning family of Great Britain??? I also read that some jewelry watchers thought that maybe Lady Tatiana Montbatten wore it for her wedding recently, but the photos are poor.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...-weds-Alexander-Dru-Winchester-Cathedral.html

The piece on Tatiana's head strikes me as a bridal replica headpiece because of its whiteness/cleanliness. No matter how hard you clean it's still impossible to make a jewelry with 200+ years of history look like this. And the connection seems a bit too far for this piece to be loan out to her.

I tend to believe the Strathmore rose is just being unused and gathering dust in the vault. It has been taken to exhibition before so it wouldn't be very fragile.

Last edited:

Yes, it definately looks like the Strathmore. Wow!

Why would the Milford Haven family have access to the Strathmore Rose Tiara ?

I think this is a bridal crystal replica

The piece on Tatiana's head strikes me as a bridal replica headpiece because of its whiteness/cleanliness. No matter how hard you clean it's still impossible to make a jewelry with 200+ years of history look like this. And the connection seems a bit too far for this piece to be loan out to her.

I tend to believe the Strathmore rose is just being unused and gathering dust in the vault. It has been taken to exhibition before so it wouldn't be very fragile.

Dust in HM’s vault? I think not‼️

Lady Tatiana is a cousin of King Charles who has always been partial to the Montbatten side of his family, and the Milford Havens don't have a family tiara since the kokoshnik was sold some years ago. Perhaps it was a kind loan of a relatively non-royal piece that hasn't been worn in many decades.

That looks very much like the Strathmore to me. It's entirely possible that the bride was offered a selection by QE2 and chose this one. I really hope somebody wears it at the coronation so we have a good view of it.

I think it's highly unlikely that Lady Tatiana Mountbatten would wear a crystal replica tiara on her wedding day. Maybe on her hen night for a laugh but the daughter of a Marquess would wear real jewels or fresh flowers as a bride.

Whatever tiaras are worn (if any), I hope they are different and not the same old, same old.
I don't care to see Catherine in the Lover's Knot, or Camilla in the Greville. Break out some of the rarely-seen pieces!

Wearing a crystal replica of a tiara that actually belongs to your royal cousins would be the epitome of tackiness. I doubt Lady Tatiana would consider such a thing.

I'd imagine the Windsor vault will be getting a major dusting off ahead of the Coronation and hopefully we will see some long neglected pieces for the Events!

Back
Top Bottom