Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think there will be much of jewels for the coronation. I bet it will be "slimmed down" unfortunately. But if there will be foreign guests attending, and with tiaras, from Norway I hope to see Crown Princess Mette-Marit borrowing the Norwegian emerald parure. It has been used for the 3 last coronations. If not that one, maybe the Maltese circlet or Queen Maud diamond tiara.

Will Princess Charlotte, who will just have turned seven, wear a tiara?

Or is that allowed only for women of age?

Will Princess Charlotte, who will just have turned seven, wear a tiara?

Or is that allowed only for women of age?
She probably wouldn’t wear a tiara, but she might wear the little gold crown that the Queen once wore as a child. But she may not wear anything like that at all.

She probably wouldn’t wear a tiara, but she might wear the little gold crown that the Queen once wore as a child. But she may not wear anything like that at all.

In a slimmed-down coronation, I doubt there will be gold crowns for the children.

I hope they will not downgrade the dress code into a skirt and hat thing, like every "ordinary" church service. I think dress up is also a kind of appreciation. I hope Queen Camilla will continue with traditions on her coronation Jewels. For the Princess of Wales i don't expect a big surprise, Q.Alexandra's wedding necklace would be lovely, but i think she will wear a Diamond necklace.

Last edited:
I hope they will not downgrade the dress code into a skirt and hat thing, like every "ordinary" church service. I think dress up is also a kind of appreciation. I hope Queen Camilla will continue with traditions on her coronation Jewels. For the Princess of Wales i don't expect a big surprise, Q.Alexandra's wedding necklace would be lovely, but i think she will wear a Diamond necklace.

I agree and hope the dress code is kept as per the traditions.

This necklace mekes a lovely convination with the QMLK and pearl earrings! I wish to see the princess of Wales more on this (because I really don't like when she used jewels with different styles and stones).
Or the art deco sapphire earrings of QEQM with the sapphire bandou of QM is another one that I want to see.
But for the coronation I prefer the 1st one.

There's a lot of controversy around the Koh i Noor diamond that sits in the crown once used by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. It makes me laugh that some are suggesting wearing the crown used by Queen Adelaide or Queen Mary seemingly not knowing these crowns lie empty of jewels at present. Wouldn't a more simple answer being using another diamond instead of the Koh I Noor? Maybe cullian 3? I get changing the crown from its original form may be seen as controversial to some but if its still going to be a "working crown" it surely could be adapted to either take another diamond or not a diamond in that place at all. It would be nice to see Camilla use the same crown but without the controversy IMO.

There's a lot of controversy around the Koh i Noor diamond that sits in the crown once used by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. It makes me laugh that some are suggesting wearing the crown used by Queen Adelaide or Queen Mary seemingly not knowing these crowns lie empty of jewels at present. Wouldn't a more simple answer being using another diamond instead of the Koh I Noor? Maybe cullian 3? I get changing the crown from its original form may be seen as controversial to some but if its still going to be a "working crown" it surely could be adapted to either take another diamond or not a diamond in that place at all. It would be nice to see Camilla use the same crown but without the controversy IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Kohinoor were to be replaced with some other stones in the crown to be used by Camilla. It makes no sense to attract the controversy and all the negativity that will come with the use of the kohinoor.

Controversy or not. The diamond is there. Why remove it? Today, everything is controversial, people get insulted all the time... Wake? To me this is just stupid.
If the diamond never was given to the royals it would probably have been stolen or lost... So I am glad it is there, and I hope they use it! I also hope they are not "ashamed" to use jewels associated by the late Queen. People in general, with zero interest in jewels, may not notice this anyway...

Camilla could wear the state diadem, the late Queen wore

In 1937, Queen Mary wished to wear the circlet from her crown to her son's coronation, so she had the hole left by the Koh-i-Noor (which was in the new crown) covered by the Cullinan V brooch.

Last edited:
In 1937, Queen Mary wished to wear the circlet from her crown to her son's coronation, so she had the hole left by the Koh-i-Noor (which was in the new crown) covered by the Cullinan V brooch.

That may well be the solution to filling a Kohinooe shaped gap in the crown last used by the Queen Mother.

That has only been worn by monarchs, not consorts.

That said, I would be surprised if Charles wore the crown to the State Opening of Parliament. I think the Crown will just be placed by him, as it was at the last state opening.

The State Diadem or George IV. diamond diadem has been worn by Queen Alexandra and Mary who both were Consorts.

That said, I would be surprised if Charles wore the crown to the State Opening of Parliament. I think the Crown will just be placed by him, as it was at the last state opening.
Women have worn it more than the men have si I think it will be a good thing to wear.

Photos of Queen Adelaide down to Elizabeth II wearing it. With the exception of the Queen mum who had it altered to fit her but was never photographed in it.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2019/05/15/george-iv-state-diadem/

Made for George IV for use at his coronation, order completed May 1820 and the bill included in the Coronation Account which passed through the Lord Chamberlain's Office in August 1820; the subsequent bill suggesting that the whole diadem was personally purchased by the king, rather than the diamonds being hired for particular occasions (£8,216, adjusted to £7,126; RA GEO/25994). On the occasion of his coronation, he wore the diadem over a large velvet 'Spanish' hat at the ceremonies in Westminster Hall and during the walking procession to Westminster Abbey.

The diadem has been regularly worn and slightly altered by subsequent queens regnant and consorts from Queen Adelaide onwards. First worn by HM Queen Elizabeth II to the first State Opening of Parliament of the reign, 4 November 1952, and on the journey to her coronation, June 1953. Subsequently worn to all State Openings, and for photographs including those used for British and Commonwealth coinage, banknotes and postage stamps.

https://www.rct.uk/collection/31702/the-diamond-diadem

Last edited:

That was my idea too: the Archbishop of Canterbury placing St Edward's Crown on the head of the King, all Peers placing their coronets on their heads. (The actual coronation).

After this the Archbishop removes St Edward's Crown but the Imperial State Crown will be placed on a side table (and will remain on a side table for all State Openings of Parliament).

Personally I can not see a gentleman, be it Charles, William or George, announcing the one budget cut after the other with a diamond-encrusted Crown wobbling on the head.

Personally I can not see a gentleman, be it Charles, William or George, announcing the one budget cut after the other with a diamond-encrusted Crown wobbling on the head.

The details of the budget are set out by the Chancellor in the Commons, not by the Monarch who merely lays out an overview of the legislative agenda for the year. So to that extent, what is in the speech does not impact if the King wanted to wear the Crown or not, IMO.

As you say, it is a "diadem", not a crown! But tradition and custom dictates also for the King´s wife, the Queen, to be anointed and CROWNED. If they do it a proper way, it has to be performed with a full CROWN with the bows, an orb and cross on top ot it.

That was my idea too: the Archbishop of Canterbury placing St Edward's Crown on the head of the King, all Peers placing their coronets on their heads. (The actual coronation).

After this the Archbishop removes St Edward's Crown but the Imperial State Crown will be placed on a side table (and will remain on a side table for all State Openings of Parliament).

How would this strange practice save any budget money (to have a crown laid on a table next to you instead of wearing it...)?! IMO those europ. monarchies who abolished their coronation rituals, didn´t serve them a good job. A coronation, because of its rarity these days, attracts worldwide attention which especially the smaller countries could gain benefit of. Well, it was their choice.
But their is no reason for Britain, to have another "crownless King". The UK should be proud of and underline its uniqueness and treasured traditions!
No, it is only right for a new, uncrowned monarch to have the Crown being placed beside him at the parliament opening, but of course wear it (that´s what are crowns made for - to be worn!) after the coronation has been performed! And I don´t see how crowning a monarch and after that taking the crown away from him again to put it beside him would make any sense (except, maybe, because of medical reasons of the monarch)...
I know in your country, The Netherlands, there is a practice to have the crown being placed on a credential table. But this is an inauguration ( a grander act of an average "parliament session", so to speak, and the crown is just a heraldic symbol that, during this parliamentary act, the monarch is present), but not a coronation, which is something quite different!
As one observer journalist put it quite right: The coronation should be put under the safety of the National trust, like an old, historic building.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom