Tiara and Jewels guessing for King Charles Coronation

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If those jewels aren't going to be loaned to HMQ's granddaughters for their uncle's coronation, I guess they'll never be loaned to them for lesser occasions. Let's hope we see those dust-gathering jewels emerge on Catherine, Sophie and Camilla in future. If not, they should be on permanent display somewhere.
Permanent display somewhere?

The tiara guessing was fun but sadly turned out to be a damp squib!

Permanent display somewhere?

Items that aren't going to be worn could be displayed at Buckingham Palace when it's open to the public, with a card beside each item describing the provenance. They could also include photographs of various family members wearing them. I don't go up to London much these days but I'd definitely take a day trip to see the contents of the jewel vaults.

Maybe they chose to borrow jewels from Garrard. Also wealthy people (aristocrats and royals) have been loaned jewels long before the Oscars and celebrities started doing so I don’t see the issue. Plus at one coronation many years ago, the royals were loaned jewels from jewellers to put in some Crown Jewels and they were later returned so I don’t see the issue there either. Them not borrowing jewels from BP doesn’t mean they aren’t princesses

Usually foundations of royal properties have in the statutes that these can be used by descendants of King X / Queen X "for the proper execution of the royal dignity".

My guess is that this is a bottom line: it has to be used "to execute the royal dignity". This Coronation is 100% befitting the idea. An apearance at a celebrity award so is maybe a reason for refusal to use royal jewels.

But but but... as the dresscode was (formal) day wear there was no need for major jewels. All royal ladies attending may be assumed affluent enough to purchase their own bijoux.

Last edited:
Items that aren't going to be worn could be displayed at Buckingham Palace when it's open to the public, with a card beside each item describing the provenance. They could also include photographs of various family members wearing them. I don't go up to London much these days but I'd definitely take a day trip to see the contents of the jewel vaults.
I don’t think the BRF would do that for personal reasons, that would be nice exhibition though.

Usually foundations of royal properties have in the statutes that these can be used by descendants of King X / Queen X "for the proper execution of the royal dignity".

My guess is that this is a bottom line: it has to be used "to execute the royal dignity". This Coronation is 100% befitting the idea. An apearance at a celebrity award so is maybe a reason for refusal to use royal jewels.

But but but... as the dresscode was (formal) day wear there was no need for major jewels. All royal ladies attending may be assumed affluent enough to purchase their own bijoux.
I agree with this largely

It is possible. Some of Queen Victoria's old tiaras have been on display, but not permanently, I think.
But the only tiara I can think of that was worn by Queen Victoria is the emerald one and that one belongs to a noble family who have loaned it out to KP. The sapphire tiara now belongs to V&A (the nation).

It seems that Catherine was wearing the diamond festoon necklace. See the group picture from the throne room.

Last edited:
Crown Princess Victoria wore a braclet with a Connection to
Duchess of Albany’s Sapphire Bracelet

It has not been worn since Sibylla of Sweden.
Sibylla died 1972. (51 years ago)

thank you for posting about it The Royal Watcher

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2022/09/01/duchess-of-albany-sapphire-bracelet/

https://royal--magazin-de.translate..._sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

What a sharp eye and what a wonderful find, still hidden of "forgotten" treasures pop up.

But where is the picture of Victoria with it?

Is it known if it's hers now or loaned from her aunt?

Is it known if it's hers now or loaned from her aunt?

Which aunt do you think it belongs to? According to royalwatcherblog it was last worn by her grandmother and hasn't been seen since.

Which aunt do you think it belongs to? According to royalwatcherblog it was last worn by her grandmother and hasn't been seen since.

The same blog post says it was "reportedly inherited by Princess Margaretha" (who still lives in the UK, I believe), although never seen on her.

Though this should probably continue in the Swedish jewels thread before it gets too off-topic here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom