Spanish Royal Jewels: Suggested changes and additions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or Princess Irene could give it to the grwat niece as a birthday present ,that is ofcourse if it's still in her personal ownership.

It could also be left to Leonor in her will.

Princess Sibilla only has one daughter, sooner or later Queen Ena's Aquamarine tiara will be sold, Leonor should buy it when the time comes.

The current reigning SRF really are not wealthy at all. Buying a new tiara is most likely not an option. Especially considering Leonor will have a decent selection to chose from. Now if Irene or Sibilla felt like gifting their tiaras that would be lovely. As I understand Sibilla is wealthy on her own and doesn't need to sell jewelry to pay bills.

Princess Sibilla only has one daughter, sooner or later Queen Ena's Aquamarine tiara will be sold, Leonor should buy it when the time comes.

Does the tiara belong to Pss Sibilla? Her mother is alive and there are other siblings. The princess does not seem to have the financial necessity to sell it off, even if it did belong to her.

These tiaras will make much more in an auction, which makes it unlikely they will be sold underhand.

As for Pss Irene's tiara: we haven't seen it in decades. Although Pss Irene may leave it to one of her Greek or Spanish (grand) nieces or nephews it may also have been quietly sold of.

As for Pss Leonor: the Prussian tiara or perhaps the toy-like tiara Q. Letizia received will most likely be her starting point. Though I am not sure we will see her anytime soon with one.

Last edited:
Does the tiara belong to Pss Sibilla? Her mother is alive and there are other siblings. The princess does not seem to have the financial necessity to sell it off, even if it did belong to her.

These tiaras will make much more in an auction, which makes it unlikely they will be sold underhand.

As for Pss Irene's tiara: we haven't seen it in decades. Although Pss Irene may leave it to one of her Greek or Spanish (grand) nieces or nephews it may also have been quietly sold of.

All good points.

As for Pss Leonor: the Prussian tiara or perhaps the toy-like tiara Q. Letizia received will most likely be her starting point. Though I am not sure we will see her anytime soon with one.

I suspect Leonor's early tiara appearances, whenever they might be, are likely to be in the smaller Fleur de Lys tiara or one of the smaller family tiaras: the Mellerio Shell, the Floral or the Prussian. I would be very surprised if a new tiara was acquired.

The Floral ,Prussian and Mellerio Shell Tiara all belong to Queen Sofia who has the best Jewel chest in the Spanish Royal Family.

The Floral ,Prussian and Mellerio Shell Tiara all belong to Queen Sofia who has the best Jewel chest in the Spanish Royal Family.

Indeed. And I have no doubt Sofia would happily lend them to Leonor, as she did with Letizia.

Indeed. And I have no doubt Sofia would happily lend them to Leonor, as she did with Letizia.

I don't think Letizia has worn the Prussian Tiara since becoming queen consort.

I assumed it is. Sibilla does not need money, but her daughter may have little use for the tiara 30 years from now. By sold I obviously meant auctioned, nowhere I stated that it would be sold quietly. It's a prominent piece that would be nice to have back with the SRF.

I think when it comes down to it, personal feelings come in to the equation. It may be the biggest, sparkliest tiara around but if you can't wear it for long because it weighs a ton and causes splitting headaches. The QM, HLM and Queen Camilla all illustrate that point by their shared preference for the 'Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" as it is lighter and more flexible.

I think when it comes down to it, personal feelings come in to the equation. It may be the biggest, sparkliest tiara around but if you can't wear it for long because it weighs a ton and causes splitting headaches it's an ordeal to wear it. The QM, HLM and Queen Camilla all illustrate that point by their shared preference for the 'Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" as it is lighter and more flexible.

I think the first tiaras that Leonor will wear will be the Prussian tiara, the floral tiara and the tiara that Felipe offered to Letizia.

Last edited:
Yes, there is also such a tiara. She was to return to the royal family.

Would be nice as there is a shortage on tiaras with coloured stones in the RF's collection. But then it never was from the RF as it came from the mother of the Countess of Barceolna. Don't think the Countess ever wore it.

How do we know that the late Infanta 'was to return' it? It would be lovely if she did as it would be a great tiara for the Princess of Asturias, the blue stones would look lovely on her.

People seldom give away such valuable items to others then their direct descendants. The exception being the tiara of Pss Ragnild, but her children are very wealthy, which is not the case for Infanta Pilar's children.

How do we know that the late Infanta 'was to return' it? It would be lovely if she did as it would be a great tiara for the Princess of Asturias, the blue stones would look lovely on her.

People seldom give away such valuable items to others then their direct descendants. The exception being the tiara of Pss Ragnild, but her children are very wealthy, which is not the case for Infanta Pilar's children.

True. The only solution for the tiara to return to the royal family would be if King Felipe reached an agreement with his cousins. But it would be a nice acquisition.
Princess Irene's tiara could also go to the royal family, and she has no descendants so she could give it to her nephew or the Princess of Asturias.

Last edited:
Princess Irene's tiara could also go to the royal family, and she has no descendants so she could give it to her nephew or the Princess of Asturias.

But then she has also a lot of greek nephews and nieces etc. to whom she could give it.

The tiara hasn't been seen in ages. One would think that had Pss Irene wanted to share it, she would have loaned it a few times. But apart from the one appearance of the infanta Elena (30 years ago?) we have not seen it on any of her many nieces (in-law) afterwards. My own guess is that it has been sold quietly, but it would be a lovely surprise to see it again of course.

But then she has also a lot of greek nephews and nieces etc. to whom she could give it.

She does not live with her Greek nephews... it has been her Spanish family who has welcomed her and cared for her, so she could have some gesture with them. Since she has not worn jewelry for decades, we cannot rule out that she has reached some agreement with her sister.

The Prussian tiara is the one most likely to be the first one we see Leonor wear, it was the first for Viktoria Louise, Frederika, Sofía and Letizia. Probably the 6 main tiaras will remain in the hands of Felipe, so Leonor will have enough tiaras. I think that really only some colored pieces would be interesting like Victoria Eugenia's aquamarine tiara or María Cristina's emerald floral one.

Infantas Pilar and Margarita inherited some historical jewels from Queen Isabel II or Queen María Cristina, some of these pieces such as their emerald and pearls brooches are more interesting for the Crown collection than the sapphire tiara.

True. The only solution for the tiara to return to the royal family would be if King Felipe reached an agreement with his cousins. But it would be a nice acquisition.

That is entirely possible. Juan Carlos negotiated the purchase of the Loop (or was it the Cartier?) tiara from his aunt (father's sister) and that is how it returned to the main line again.

She does not live with her Greek nephews... it has been her Spanish family who has welcomed her and cared for her, so she could have some gesture with them. Since she has not worn jewelry for decades, we cannot rule out that she has reached some agreement with her sister.

That would make sense. It is the SRF that gave Irene a home, and it would be a nice gesture to see her jewellery end up with the SRF.

The Prussian tiara is the one most likely to be the first one we see Leonor wear, it was the first for Viktoria Louise, Frederika, Sofía and Letizia.

I have a slightly contrarian view. The Prussian is not a Spanish tiara (the clue may be in the name!). The new, smaller FdL tiara is Spanish, with the symbol of the House of Bourbon front and centre. This would be a great starter tiara for Leonor.

I have a slightly contrarian view. The Prussian is not a Spanish tiara (the clue may be in the name!). The new, smaller FdL tiara is Spanish, with the symbol of the House of Bourbon front and centre. This would be a great starter tiara for Leonor.

But it's a tiara without history. If they want an image with Spanish history it will be the Melleiro shell tiara, it belonged to Infanta Isabel "la Chata", one of the most popular characters of the recent Spanish monarchy and who also held the title of Princess of Asturias.

Or we could find it may have been sold off!

Personally I hope not!

But it's a tiara without history. If they want an image with Spanish history it will be the Melleiro shell tiara, it belonged to Infanta Isabel "la Chata", one of the most popular characters of the recent Spanish monarchy and who also held the title of Princess of Asturias.

Indeed that is the only tiara in the main line which comes from the spanish royals before Queen Victoria Eugenie and is suited for a young Princess unlike the loop tiara.

This is my favorite tiara and it is so rarely seen. I would love for it to be embraced by Leonor.

Indeed that is the only tiara in the main line which comes from the spanish royals before Queen Victoria Eugenie and is suited for a young Princess unlike the loop tiara.

The provenance of the Wave tiara is obviously impeccable, but the tiara does not seem to have found favour with Letizia. It will be interesting to see how Leonor feels about it.

The provenance of the Wave tiara is obviously impeccable, but the tiara does not seem to have found favour with Letizia. It will be interesting to see how Leonor feels about it.

Indeed and it looked really good on Letizia they only time she has worn it.

I don't think Letizia has worn the Prussian Tiara since becoming queen consort.

No, she has not. She hasn't worn either the Prussian or the Wave.

Back
Top Bottom