Royal Jewellery & Fine Arts Auctions and Exhibitions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Amazing!!!! Very beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Treat for Jewellery Voyeurs...

A Christie's eCatalogue
Auction date 15 May 2013

Includes jewellery from the Portuguese Royal House, the Visconti, the late Duchess of Genova [Genoa, of the House of Savoy], and the late Infanta Beatriz of Spain and her Torlonia descendants including the Prince of Civitella-Cesi.

> Click the 'Notice to Bidders' box
> Click on 'View eCatalogue'
> Set aside an hour or two while you turn the pages electronically and admire the contents.

Well worth an eVisit!

http://www.christies.com/eCatalogues/index.aspx?saleid=24329

A spectre of the Poltimore tiara

Please click and scroll down to the bottom of the link:
Daily Mail: Royal fashion rules from the Fifties to the Nineties: How the Queen, Margaret and Diana’s style changed over four decades

Dear fellow tiara nerds! :flowers:
Take a look at the shelf above Pcs. Margaret's dress:
Am I seeing the real Poltimore tiara or a replica? Or is it a photo/dias/hologram of the Poltimore?
I thought it was sold some years ago when parts of her estate was aucioned off!
Next question: Why bother exhibiting a tiara not belonging to her family any more? Or does it?

viv

Last edited:
i'm pretty sure that this is not the poltimore tiara. it looks different.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm pretty sure that this is not the poltimore tiara. it looks different.

It certainly does look like the Poltimore tiara, but it seems to be assembled as a circlet, whereas I don't recall the Poltimore being so. I may be wrong!

It looks like it to me, but I assume its a copy.

It looks very strange with a cocktail dress.

It certainly does look like the Poltimore tiara, but it seems to be assembled as a circlet, whereas I don't recall the Poltimore being so. I may be wrong!

I read somewhere on one of the tiara sites that the Poltimore can be changed into a circlet! There's also a description on the Christie's website from the auction some years ago!
I understand the Poltimore is very versatile; it's a classical example of a jewellers piece of Lego, it can be broken up - or down? :) - into various sizes of brooches, it can be worn as a necklace and as mentioned, it can be changed into a circlet! And there's possibly other formats!

It looks like it to me, but I assume its a copy.

It looks very strange with a cocktail dress.
Agree, but why would Kensington Palace display a copy of the Poltimore? Because it was Pcs. Margaret's signature tiara? I could understand if they displayed a replica of one of the family tiaras she used to wear, if they chose to keep the real thing under lock and key.

Last edited:
A Christie's eCatalogue
Auction date 15 May 2013

Includes jewellery from the Portuguese Royal House, the Visconti, the late Duchess of Genova [Genoa, of the House of Savoy], and the late Infanta Beatriz of Spain and her Torlonia descendants including the Prince of Civitella-Cesi.

> Click the 'Notice to Bidders' box
> Click on 'View eCatalogue'
> Set aside an hour or two while you turn the pages electronically and admire the contents.

Well worth an eVisit!

http://www.christies.com/eCatalogues/index.aspx?saleid=24329

I noticed this post too late to view the contents,I wonder what jewels belonging to the late Infanta Beatriz of Spain were put up for sale?

^^^^^
Lady Anne Cavendish Bentinck from the family of the Dukes of Portland. The jewels were sold after her death.

Who is the original owner? These are so stunning! Wow!

They really are. The tiara is one of my favorite sapphire tiaras, and I really wish it had been bought by someone who would wear it and be photographed in it.

They really are. The tiara is one of my favorite sapphire tiaras, and I really wish it had been bought by someone who would wear it and be photographed in it.

Yeah, I believe this has officially become one of my favorite sapphire tiaras as well! It's so beautiful! If only it were bought by someone who had the opportunity to share it with the world -it's a shame that so many beautiful jewels are slowly going into hiding. ;(

More Portland jewels- Christie´s jewelery Auction
Jewels * Pearls * Tiara * Stomacher brooch

One of the most beautiful collections I've ever seen of diamonds and sapphires. The Portland tiara is my favorite sapphire tiara with its fully enclosed design, the three-pearl drop brooch is divine and that diamond collet necklace with the loops and pendants is just too sumptuous for words. The stomacher is absolutely magnificent and has a Renaissance look to it. All these pieces can certainly rival anything in a royal collection by far.

Last edited:

Attachments

• a Cartier Tiara, platinum, diamonds & black onyx, 1914.jpg
    a Cartier Tiara, platinum, diamonds & black onyx, 1914.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,025
One of the most beautiful collections I've ever seen of diamonds and sapphires. The Portland tiara is my favorite sapphire tiara with its fully enclosed design, the three-pearl drop brooch is divine and that diamond collet necklace with the loops and pendants is just too sumptuous for words. The stomacher is absolutely magnificent and has a Renaissance look to it. All these pieces can certainly rival anything in a royal collection by far.

Oh, get me a big napkin!
That collection is gorgeous!!

The duke of Anhalt is putting a pearl necklace that belonged to Amalia of Solms (wife of Stadholder Frederick Henri of Holland, Zeeland etc.) up for auction.

They are expected to sell for 120.000-160.000 euros.
Amalia had access to the best pearls that came with the VOC, the Dutch East India Company.

The pearls will be autioned on May 13th at Sotheby's in Geneva.

Royalty Online

She must have had a lot of pearls. The big pearl necklace of the Dutch RF is supposed to have belonged to her. And empress Frederick also had a pearl necklace that belonged to Amalia. It was inherited by her eldest daughter Victoria, who sold it after WWI to finance her Russian playboy boyfriend.
'
I believe that there is a debate which ones are thé famous pearls of Amalia, but is generally assumed that it was the Prussian necklace.

Last edited:
The auction guide:
Lot | Sotheby's

Apparently they are also trying to sell the Rosenborg garnet tiara again, ánd the Bavarian tiara of Pss Ursula.

As well as the pearl of Queen Elisabeth of Prussia:
Christies

Wowza. Those are some gorgeous pearls. I'll take them, please. :lol:

I love that tiara! Since my birthday's coming up, my husband must've bought it for me. :lol:

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2404156.html

The above link contains photos of the Cartier tiara with a pear-shaped pearl. The pear-shaped pearl in question belonged to Auguste Wilhelmine Luise von Hessen-Kassel, who was the grandmother of Queen Mary (1867-1953). The tiara can be worn as a necklace.

The tiara is a masterpiece. It would have been a perfect piece for Japanese Imperial Princesses.

Last edited:
https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2898333.html

The above post by marisols contains photos of royal and noble jewellery for the upcoming Sotheby's auction. The lots include pieces owned by Mary Innes-Kerr, Duchess of Roxburghe, Hannah Rothschild, Countess of Rosebery, Maria Gabriella of Savoy, Queen Marie Antoinette, Madame du Barry, and Catherine II of Russia.

The Roxburghe tiaras are magnificent. It is unfortunate that the current Duchess will not be able to wear them. It would be nice, if Prince William acquired one of them for his spouse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom