Royal Jewellery & Fine Arts Auctions and Exhibitions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew I'd seen the peridot set before; it's part of the peridot parure of Archduchess Isabella of Austria.
If you thing the ornament and earrings are beautiful, take a moment to look at the tiara and the necklace (not part of the auction).
Life is pretty unfair, isn't it? ;)

Last edited:
Yes, we can only gaze upon these beauties via our high-resolution computers and beautiful jewel books....that's as close as we can get to them!:sad:

There is always next Mega Millions or Euro Millions (depending on where we live). I can just say this - if I had access to the kind of money, the peridot set, necklace and tiara included, would be right at the top of my shopping list: great investments and beauties to look at when you feel down.

Last edited:
If the Portland tiara was still up for grabs, that would be adorning my regal head as well!

I Like The Most The Earing Very Beautiful & Unique Design Really Looks Antique Piece , Thanx For Posting .

Sotheby's to auction over 700 magnificent jewels from important private collections
On 14 and 15 May 2012, Sotheby’s Geneva will present over 700 lots in its sale of Magnificent Jewels and Noble Jewels. Among jewels to be auctioned:

- The Beau Sancy Diamond
One of the most famous diamonds in history. Currently property of the House of Hohenzollern and put on auction by the current Head of the House, Georg Friedrich Ferdinand, Prince of Prussia.

- The Murat Tiara
A beautiful pearl and diamond tiara created in 1920 by Joseph Chaumet for the marriage of Prince Alexandre Murat to Yvonne Gillois. Prince Alexandre was a descendant of Joachim Murat, who was married to Caroline Bonaparte - Napoleon's sister.

- Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain's Ring (couldn't find a picture)
A step‐cut sapphire and diamond ring dating from the 1930s which once belonged to Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain. The ring was passed down through the Spanish Royal Family and inherited by the present owner.

- Diamond Necklace (royal collection)
A diamond necklace suspending a detachable pear‐shaped D colour diamond weighing 41.40 carats. It comes from the collection of a member of a royal family.

- Emerald and Diamond Necklace (royal collection)
Also from a royal family, a magnificent emerald and diamond necklace designed by Bulgari circa 1970.

- Corsini Yellow Diamond Brooch
A diamond brooch set with a 7.33 carat Fancy deep yellow diamond coming from the collection of Prince Filippo Corsini, a descendant of the illustrious Florentine family whose history dates back to the 12th century and whose lineage includes many popes. The central diamond was offered to the Corsini family by Charles Edward Stuart in gratitude for their support during his years of exile. It is possible that the diamond was inherited by Prince Charles from his mother Marie‐Clementina Sobieski (granddaughter of King John III of Poland) and was therefore originally part of the Sobieski Jewellery Collection.

- Natural Pearl and Diamond Necklace
Just one of the thirteen jewels from the Estate of the late Prince Kinsky will also be presented, shedding light on the history of one of most illustrious and oldest dynasties originating from Bohemia. Tracing its roots back to the thirteen century, the House of Kinsky was part of the most powerful and influential families in the region in the 18th and 19th centuries. Its members served in high diplomatic or military positions of the Habsburg Monarchy and subsequently the Austrian Empire.

- Thurn und Taxis Demi-Parure
An emerald and diamond demi‐parure, composed of a necklace and a pair of earrings, which was purchased by Albert, 8th Prince of Thurn und Taxis around 1890, as a wedding present for Austrian Archduchess Margarete whom he married on 15 July in that year.

- Thurn und Taxis Sapphire and Diamond Bandeau
An attractive sapphire and diamond bandeau dating from early 1930 which was gifted to Raphael Prince Thurn und Taxis and his wife, Princess Margarete, on the occasion of their wedding in Regensburg in 1932. The accompanying fitted case was painted by Prince Raphael's mother, Princess Margarethe of Thurn und Taxis.

- Sapphire and Diamond Brooch/Pendant
Typical of the early twentieth century is a fine sapphire and diamond brooch/pendant dating from circa 1910. It belonged to the Italian Countess Adriana Guillichini della Gherardesca

- D-colour Diamond Ring from Harry Winston
An exceptional diamond ring by Harry Winston set with a 36.43 carat internally flawless diamond which has been found to be part of the rare Type IIa subgroup comprising less than 2% of all gem diamonds. Diamonds of this group are chemically the purest of all diamond crystals and often have extraordinary optical transparency.

- D-colour Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Ring
A very fine 21.88 carat Internally Flawless diamond mounted as a ring signed Van Cleef & Arpels.

- An Oval Step-Cut Fancy Vivid Purplish Pink Diamond Ring
An oval step‐cut fancy vivid purplish pink diamond weighing 4.25 carats and mounted as a ring between brilliant‐cut diamonds of pinkish tint and two button‐shaped natural pearls.

- Kashmir Sapphire Clips and Colombian Emerald and Diamond Brooch
Both come from a private collection of gems and jewels comprising over 80 pieces. This exceptional collection has been assembled by two generations of a family, from the mid‐1960s until present day.

Last edited:
Magnificent Pieces So Unique & Antique , Thank you foe Posting Artemisia

Oh those garnets would look so pretty in CP Mary's hair. It's a shame the main branch of the family doesn't seem interested in buying tiaras.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is another auction by Christies in London this week that has many lots from noble families. I HIghly recommend a look at the ecatalog. So many of the pieces are breathtaking and someone might recognize something of interest for us royal watchers!

Princess Viggo's diamond & garnet Kokoshnik tiara

It seems that the scions of junior branches are at it again.
From Krisotter's link...

Provenance
"HH the Danish Prince Viggo, Count af Rosenborg (1893-1970), son of Prince Valdemar, ordered, according to information, the diamond tiara in the beginning of the 1930's from the Court Jeweller Dragsted, for his wife, HH Princess Viggo, Countess af Rosenborg (1895-1966), born Eleanor Green of New York. It has been thought that the red stones are rubies and the tiara has therefore been described as the 'ruby kokosnik'. The red stones are in fact garnets. The Jeweller is said to have made several designs before creating the kokoshnik but the style was clearly intended to be 'Russian'.

As the couple had no children the diamond kokoshnik was inherited by Princess Margaretha (1899-1977), born a Princess of Sweden, who was the wife of Prince Viggo's brother Prince Axel. The tiara then passed to Axel's son Count Flemming af Rosenborg (1922-2002), former Danish and Icelandic Prince. It was worn by his wife Countess Ruth (who died in 2010), and passed to the present owner ."

v Princess Viggo of Denmark's diamond & garnet Kokoshnik tiara
[the upper row of diamonds detaches from the frame and can be worn as a rivière]

Attachments

• Denmark Princess Viggo Diamond & Garnet Tiara (sold 2012).JPG
    Denmark Princess Viggo Diamond & Garnet Tiara (sold 2012).JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 2,375
:previous:
That's a beautiful (and versatile) tiara.
Not to mention, it also has quite an interesting provenance.

Mail Online
28 June 2012

Jubilee diamonds: Spectacular gems from the Queen's private collection go on display at Buckingham Palace

It is the most valuable – and glittering - exhibition ever created at Buckingham Palace.
Ten thousand priceless diamonds on display, many for the first time ever, to mark the Queen’s Jubilee.

From the diminutive diamond crown worn by Queen Victoria throughout her widowhood, to the breath-taking Coronation Necklace, featuring a staggering 22.48 carat pendant, the exhibition features some of the most spectacular pieces from the monarch’s private collection.

Each of the 21 hand-picked items on display also has a fascinating history behind it, such as the iconic diadem worn by the Queen for the state opening of parliament.

> BBC News video link

v thumbnails

1. The Delhi Durbar Tiara (putting to rest once and for all claims that it had been changed from a circlet to an open tiara)
2. The Delhi Durbar Necklace
3. The Williamson Pink Diamond Brooch
4. Frederick the Great's Snuff Box (bought by Queen Mary in 1932)
The thumbnail images represent small portions cropped from larger photographs.

Attachments

• Delhi Durbar tiara.jpg
    Delhi Durbar tiara.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 2,459
  • Delhi Durbar necklace.jpg
    Delhi Durbar necklace.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 616
  • The Williamson pink diamond brooch.jpg
    The Williamson pink diamond brooch.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,479
  • Frederick the Great's snuff box.jpg
    Frederick the Great's snuff box.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,964
Last edited:
Will be visiting BP on Sunday and looking forward to seeing some fabulous diamonds!

Will be visiting BP on Sunday and looking forward to seeing some fabulous diamonds!

Enjoy! We look forward to reading about your trip. The exhibition is well advertised on the tube network.

Joining muriel's comments: hope you enjoy the exhibition - and share your impressions with us. :)

Today I'm off to BP to see the Diamonds exhibition! Yeah!!

GillW said:
Today I'm off to BP to see the Diamonds exhibition! Yeah!!

Oh, how delightful! Do tell us about your impressions. I, personally won't mind seeing them myself. Judging from the pictures that were posted on either British Monarchy or 'MAJESTY' Magazine Facebook page earlier this year, the collection is quite impressive. Really looking forward to reading your thoughts on it after your trip.

Sounds awesome Gill, tell us all about please!!!

Back home now & I think I'm all dazzled out!
Surprisingly, due to the Olympics - including the Ladies Marathon going past the Palace! - London was much quieter than usual, because the "general tourists" were staying away. There was no queue and we were allowed to go in when we arrived without waiting for our allotted time-slot.

The usual room was set up for the diamonds, which, like the Fabergé one was dimmed to almost total darkness, with the cabinets lit to make the diamonds really sparkle. Set out "sideways" so that people could walk along both sides and get the same view from either side. We went both sides so that we didn't miss anything!

The stones were breathtaking of course and I loved them all! So what did I like seeing best? I have to say "Granny's Chips" (Cullinan 3 & 4) just hypnotizes me every time . To see such huge stones is the most amazing feeling. The (literal) depth from front to back on them is astonishing - not usually able to see it sideways when it's in the usual cabinet at the the Queen's Gallery. Even though some of the Greville stones look large from the front, they are so much flatter and thinner than the really superb Cullinan stones that you realise the superlative quality of those very special items - even the smaller (ha ha!!) ones.
Bought the Jubilee book and the small Diamonds one just about the exhibition - lovely to add to the collection.
All followed by coffee and cake on the terrace of course... ;-)
Any questions...?

Wow! That does sound impressive. Thank you for sharing your impressions, and it's great that you were able to get in earlier than expected, and didn't have to deal with the queues.

Thanks a lot for sharing your impressions of the visit, GillW. :flowers:
I was wondering, where there any new jewels (ones you had never seen before) you saw? Or just any pieces that aren't usually exhibited?

There was no jewellery that was unfamiliar from photographs, because of course they were some of the most impressive pieces which have all been worn over the years - but amazing (I'm running out of superlatives!) to be with in inches of them. The tiaras were especially lovely as I enjoy seeing all the mechanisms on them too. Hooks that hold elements together, clips to keep the comfort frame attached, screws to hold on attachments - fascinating! Even the Russian fringe, which I never realised has a "thread" half way up around the back, to hold all the bars firmly together - in my opinion this is what keeps it in tight shape, instead of "splayed" as it was in former years. Looks as if it can be adjusted to open or tighten the spacing between the bars, evenly and to the taste of the wearer.

Thanks for sharing the details, GillW. I now really want to see those stunner up and close myself. Pity a trip to London isn't planned in near future.

I can't add much to Gillw's description of the exhibition, except to say that I feel so privileged to have attended also! Just a few days ago in fact. To say that I was dumbstruck is putting it mildly. Gill describes the room and route very well! I must mention the snuff box of Frederick the Great of Prussia - photographs come nowhere near displaying its mind-boggling dazzle! It is so encrusted with diamonds, (3,000) that the green bloodstone is almost completely obscured. The rose and brilliant-cut diamonds are arranged as flowers, insects,foliage, ribbons and musical trophies. Even the base of the box is lavishly encrusted with diamonds. The sparkle and glitter was astounding. The Delhi Durbar tiara suprised me, in photo's I find it rather heavy looking, but in reality it looks so delicate, with all the diamonds a-dangle and a-glitter. Now one of my favourite tiaras! (I do hope that I'm not boring you all!) I must describe the Coronation necklace, but like Gill,I am running out of superlatives and adjectives! The necklace consists of 25 cushion-cut brilliants, and the suspended Lahore diamond. It just sits there in its display case, and flashes with coloured sparks of rainbows...exceedingly beautiful!
Also stunning, (well, everything was,) but the tassel, or waterfall brooch of Queen Victoria I found just lovely! The fringes on it must swing slightly as the wearer moves. I think that should I ever meet the Queen, I would be considered rude, as I would just be staring at her jewels!
If anyone wishes to see the exhibition, they need to hurry, as it closes next month, and will not be repeated next year...not unless we all write to the palace and plead!

Mid-19th Century Diamond Tiara
Formerly in the collection of the 1st Marchioness Conyngham

link: Christies

"Composed of a series of nine old-cut diamond graduating flowerhead clusters centred by old-cut pear and cushion shape diamond collet highlights, the central principal very light pink diamond weighing approximately 6.17 carats, interspersed by ten similarly-set stylised cusp motifs of ribbon scroll design, raised on an undulating diamond line frame, mounted in silver and gold, circa 1850, each flowerhead cluster detachable to form a brooch."

Estimate £200,000 - £250,000

Attachments

• Conyngham Diamond Tiara, pink diamond centre c1850s.jpg
    Conyngham Diamond Tiara, pink diamond centre c1850s.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 2,494
  • Conyngham Diamond Tiara, pink diamond centre c1850s 2.jpg
    Conyngham Diamond Tiara, pink diamond centre c1850s 2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,860
Last edited:
A month-old news but the diamond is too stunning not to warrant a mention.

The Archduke Joseph Diamond Fetched A World Record Price For A Colourless Diamond At Us $21.4m
The huge and famous Archduke Joseph Diamond, an internally flawless diamond from India's fabled Golconda mines was sold at auction in Geneva on Tuesday night for a record US$ 21.4m. While the buyer requested to remain anonymous, it was revealed that Fred Mouawad offered the last bid before the buyer secured the flawless Golconda diamond on Tuesday night at an auction in Geneva, Switzerland. The rare, colorless stone—weighing 76.02 carats and roughly the size of a large strawberry—once belonged to Archduke Joseph August of Austria (1872-1962), a prince of the Hungarian line of the Habsburgs.
Image from my Christie's catalogue.

Attachments

• 2012-11-20__13-35-25Image1.GIF
    2012-11-20__13-35-25Image1.GIF
    49.4 KB · Views: 242
Especially given its record sale price of US$ 21.4m :ohmy:

I love the Marchioness' tiara; what gorgeous clusters. I can see that easily converted to a necklace as well.

Back
Top Bottom