Royal Jewellery & Fine Arts Auctions and Exhibitions

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, my, my!! :eek: Has a pearl ever brought that amount of money? Obviously, it's due to its royal connections and ownership by Liz Taylor. I guess we won't know who owns it and the POW brooch until they're worn.

Last edited:
Not as much realized for the Elizabeth Taylor diamond as for La Peregrina!

1.3 million US realized for POW Brooch

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Elizabeth Taylor diamond ring.jpg
    Elizabeth Taylor diamond ring.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 698
At 1.30pm my time the news came in that La Peregrina pearl sold for just over $11 million. And I thought Wow! By about 7 pm Rueters said the sale reached $116 million. I thought WOW and WOW. Cashed up Russians and Arabs and the new rich Chinese must have battled it out. And others of course. I had hoped that Prince Charles or the Queen would try and buy back the POW feathers brooch, but with that kind of fierce bidding - $1,314,500 it may have been too much for them.
Like you I would love to know who got the pearl and the brooch!

I have part of the Who magazine article dated 24 jan 1994, an interview of Elizabeth Taylor when she bid on the Duchess of Windsors jewels on 2 nd April 1987.
"Bidding at auction was á wild experience - very heady and intoxicating and dangerous", she says, remembering the $910,000 she spent. "Very Dangerous". The previous page is missing and the last sentence from that page says - the Wales Plume brooch.
When the auction began in Geneva, Taylor was linked to the auction by phone from her home in California. [She and the children were out by the pool.] "When I won the bidding, I went around the pool just yelling, "Yes! Yes! It was a thrill. What I found out later was that I was bidding against the Sultan of Brunei."

I am impressed, but not shocked or surprised at the realized Christie's auction prices of Elizabeth Taylor's Jewelry. She had an amazing collection of important global jewelry pieces.I too have tried to find out who was the successful bidder of the Mike Todd Tiara, and the Prince or Wales Brooch to no avail!

Not as much realized for the Elizabeth Taylor diamond as for La Peregrina!

1.3 million US realized for POW Brooch

La Peregrina has a history; the diamond is just a big rock. Not that Taylor's jewels don't carry a certain cachet, but they do not compare with La Peregrina. Although- if I owned it, I'd dismantle that necklace and just put the pearl in a simple setting to show it off; I don't like that ornate necklace for it.

:previous: I so agree with you about La Peregrina's ornate setting; the beauty of that pearl is overwhelmed (hard though that may be) and it should be displayed more simply. I even think it should be set as a dangling brooch, much as it originally was.

Yep, Kim paid $US64,000 for a bit of La Liz's glamour. Too bad money can't buy that!! ;)

At least Kim will probably wear the bracelets. The other items may not resurface again before 20 years (average time between being auctioned and then being put up for auction again).That is, if they were purchased as an investment.

I am hopefully that La Peregrina has been purchased by the Spanish Royal Family, and that there won't be too much squawking about the economy, etc. I think of it as a sort-of national treasure and it should be returned.

When Richard Burton got the pearl in 1969 some member of the Spanish RF was outbidden in the same auction, unfortunately the current SRF is not known for having large fortunes either, although it would have been nice if the pearl made its way back to Spain.

It is just as likely to be some tycoon. There were quite a few Asians in the audience; perhaps La Peregrina will end up in China! (Although I understand the Chinese frequently bid on items but don't always pay up!)

Thank you for the article; it's interesting to know who bought some of E.T.'s jewels. Maybe it's me, but it's disappointing that the magnificent Krupp diamond will wind up on display at a theme park, of all places, rather than being worn.

Last edited:
Ooooh. Not a giant specimin, but what a rock...such history! I'm anticipating it's auction price.

Kasumi, thx for posting that it was coming up for auction.

What a beautiful, giant gem and incredible provenance. Lucky is the potential new owner who must be prepared to write a lot of zeroes in his/her checkbook!

Did the Prince of Wales buy Elisabeth Taylor’s brooch for Camilla ?

Auction of a fine vase formerly belonging to a Princess of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach

Hello folks,

This isn't quite jewellery but should be of interest to anyone who is following the Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach family. The item is reputed to have been painted by Marie, Princess of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, known as Maria Luise Alexandrina (later Princess Karl of Prussia).
The vase was a gift from her father, Grand Duke Carl Friedrich in 1820.

Dorotheum - Sculpture - Important cachepot

S-W-Evase.jpg

• Christie’s auction / Geneva / 14 May 2012: MRS LILY SAFRA JEWELS FOR HOPE: THE COLLECTION OF MRS LILLY SAFRA

And those are not even the best ones in her collection…

AN ANTIQUE RUBY, SAPPHIRE AND EMERALD TIARA
Provenance
probably Russian, mid-19th Century
AN ANTIQUE RUBY, SAPPHIRE AND EMERALD TIARA | Jewelry Auction</li> | animal, Jewelry | Christie's

A SET OF ANTIQUE PERIDOT AND DIAMOND JEWELLERY
Provenance
Countess Marina Coudenhove-Kalergi (1927-2000)
Count Johannes Coudenhove-Kalergi (1893-1965)
Archduchess Isabella of Austria (1856-1931)
A SET OF ANTIQUE PERIDOT AND DIAMOND JEWELLERY | Jewelry Auction</li> | Jewelry, brooch | Christie's

AN ANTIQUE DIAMOND BROOCH
Provenance
Formerly the Property of a European Royal family
AN ANTIQUE DIAMOND BROOCH | Jewelry Auction</li> | Jewelry, brooch | Christie's

A RUBY AND DIAMOND RING, BY CHAUMET
Provenance
Luz Mila Patino, Countess du Boisrouvray
A RUBY AND DIAMOND RING, BY CHAUMET | Jewelry Auction</li> | Jewelry, ring | Christie's

SIXTEEN SILVER-GILT AND GUILLOCHÉ ENAMEL MENU HOLDERS, BY FABERGÉ, FIFTEEN WITH THE WORKMASTER'S MARK OF ANDERS (ANTTI) NEVALAINEN, ONE WITH THE WORKMASTER'S MARK OF VIKTOR AARNE, ST PETERSBURG, VARIOUS DATES, VARIOUS INVENTORY NUMBERS
Provenance
Lime green:
Emperor Nicholas II (1868-1918) and Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (1872-1918), purchased from Fabergé's St Petersburg branch on 21 December 1906 for 80 roubles for a pair.
Bright red:
Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (1872-1918), purchased from Fabergé's St Petersburg branch on 16 November 1908 for 100 roubles.
Rose Pompadour:
Empress Alexandra Feodorovna (1872-1918), purchased from Fabergé's St Petersburg branch on 30 November 1905 for 60 roubles.
Four hexagonal pale blue:
Sophie of Merenberg, Countess de Torby (1868-1927), purchased from Fabergé's London branch on 3 December 1909 for 21 (from a set of six menus).
A La Vieille Russie, New York
SIXTEEN SILVER-GILT AND GUILLOCHÉ ENAMEL MENU HOLDERS, BY FABERGÉ, FIFTEEN WITH THE WORKMASTER'S MARK OF ANDERS (ANTTI) NEVALAINEN, ONE WITH THE WORKMASTER'S MARK OF VIKTOR AARNE, ST PETERSBURG, VARIOUS DATES, VARIOUS INVENTORY NUMBERS | Jewelry Auct

A SET OF ANTIQUE DIAMOND BROOCHES AND PAIR OF EARRINGS
Provenance
Formerly the Property of a European Royal family
A SET OF ANTIQUE DIAMOND BROOCHES AND PAIR OF EARRINGS | Jewelry Auction</li> | flowers & plants, Jewelry | Christie's

The jewellery is just stunning! The ruby ring and peridot set in particular... Trust funds, where are you?!

Mrs. Lily Safra certainly has some amazing jewellery. Then again, for a billionaire philanthropist, that is hardly surprising. I would just like to say that I'm glad all proceeds of this auction will be donated to charitable causes.

Last edited:
Why wasn't I one of the MegaMillion lottery winners?!! I'd have to bid against you for the ruby ring and peridot set, Artemisia! They are truly stunning.

Back
Top Bottom