Royal engagement rings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe some want to buried with their engagement/wedding ring because with all jewelry the royals have, these are some of the only ones actually given to the person themselves...not to the royal role in life

William doesn't see Diana's ring as a symbol as his parent's failed marriage because he wouldn't have given the ring to Kate.

Personally, I have no problem reusing family rings. My mom had her mother's gold band after she died. After my mom died, my sister used the engagement ring from my dad as her own engagement ring.

Because love doesn't die. Stripping one of jewelry they wore throughout a large portion of their life is almost the same as grave robbery.

If the person dies wearing the jewelry, it should be buried with them.

So then the corpse decays and the jewelry lies in the grave alone?
It still makes no sense to me, but to each his own.

So this thread isn't about royal engagement rings at all? Thought we would be talking about all of them not just Kate Camilla's and Sophie

They clearly have the nicest then! Only joking.

I suppose Kate's ring is infamous so it was only natural discussion of hers and Diana's ring would take place.

I'm not sure that it still is a rule here in the U.S., but at one time I remember it being illegal to be buried with jewelery that was worth over $XXX. I know Jackie Kennedy placed her wedding ring on Jack's pinky finger before the coffin was closed. I'll have to research that rule if no one can back me up.

I'm not sure that it still is a rule here in the U.S., but at one time I remember it being illegal to be buried with jewelery that was worth over $XXX. I know Jackie Kennedy placed her wedding ring on Jack's pinky finger before the coffin was closed. I'll have to research that rule if no one can back me up.

I vaguely remember hearing something along those lines too. It does serve to prevent coffins being exhumed by thieves looking for valuables that were buried with the body.

I never heard that about Jackie doing that with her wedding ring and I do find that very touching. Another trend (which my mother followed) is to take both wedding bands and melt them into one ring and place any stones from engagement rings or other rings symbolizing the marriage into it. I now have that ring.

Thank you Kitty Atlanta and Osipi. I hadn't realized that and I can understand why it would be in place to prevent grave robbing.

I know Jackie Kennedy placed her wedding ring on Jack's pinky finger before the coffin was closed. I'll have to research that rule if no one can back me up.

Actually, she put the ring on him the day JFK died, but after the autopsy at Bethesda, the ring was returned to Jackie.

Yes, when you read of the Secret Service and ER Physicians recollections of the day JFK died, they say she put it on his finger right after he died and before he left the hospital

I remember seeing in a movie she put the ring on him. But I thought it was fabricated because I think she put it on his ring finger and there is no way it would fit; plus I have a hard time believing a widow at that moment so close to seeing her husband murdered would have the mindset to put her wedding ring on her husband so it could go with him; it's such a nice and symbolic gesture that I just didn't think a woman going through such a crisis could have thought to do it.
Melting the rings into one is quite a beautiful idea that I have never heard of before. I usually hear of the spouse still living just keeps them both and sometimes continues to wear theirs. Melting the rings and what Jackie did is a good way to symbolize that you are technically and legally no longer married.

Jackie did put her wedding ring on the President's finger but later it was returned to her. She wore the ring even after her marriage to Onassis. She wore both wedding rings on her left ring finger.

As far as I know it is not illegal for jewelry to be buried with the wearer. My mother was buried with her ring & a cross. My grandmothers were buried with their wedding rings.

George could use the Queen's engagement ring. Charles used one of the Queen Mum's rings for Camilla's ring.

That would be wonderful if that happened. It's my all time favorite engagement ring.

Ii thought it was interesting to see which jewelers made the royal engagement rings. these are those t I found so far:

Garrards seem popular amongst the british royals: Diana's, Sophie's and Sarah's engagement rings come from them

Hancocks made Zara's ring

W.A. Bolin made Victoria's (and possibly Sofia's)

Van Cleef and Arpels designed Margrethe's

Maison Repossi made Charlene's

Harry Winston for Soraya of Iran (22 carats!)

Madeleine's ring (by Jonas) was by Cartier

Cartier for Grace

some more info:

LOS ANILLOS DE COMPROMISO REALES :: charlemos.foros.ws

Oh No They Didn't! - Royal Rocks: The Engagement Rings of Princess Brides

https://rosediamonds.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/royal-rings-because-its-all-over-the-news-this-week/

Camilla's engagement ring weighed eight carats. The emerald cut diamond with three diamond baquettes on either side had belonged to the Queen Mother.

Odd, usually not a fan of big rings and sapphires are a favorite but I love hers. Much prefer it to big blue.

I have to agree, big blue is just too in-your-face to be overlooked and too large to be easily worn for everyday life although we see it most often. I never envied Diana, nor do I envy Catherine, the job of making it look easy, yet both of them have done just that.

Camilla's diamond is just beautiful and owes it's beauty to the age in which it was created. From the clean-cut lines of the central stone to the shoulder baguettes, it is a quintessentially Art Deco ring, yet it looks neither dated nor surprisingly, overlarge.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uKfep4w63SU/VRN_a39XxCI/AAAAAAAAfBM/2Wg4gQWblsU/s1600/_ering2.jpg

You probably have to have long, tapering fingers to wear these large rings well. They would be no good for me. I have short, stubby fingers.

My favourite Royal engagement ring of all time was that of a foreign minor Royal. I can't even remember who she was. Her ring had a not over-large heart-shaped ruby in the middle, with a little gold 'foliage' around it, and on each side tiny heart shaped rubies chased each other on their sides around the front of the ring. I thought it was absolutely lovely and quite original.

One of the most amazing engagement rings is Queen Margrethe's. There is no getting away from the fact that it is big. Really big. It comprises two large square diamonds intertwined by the yellow gold.. But somehow both it's shape and size really suits Margrethe's larger than life personality.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/9c/c9/d7/9cc9d746b4ad3dc83ea79288bc04f6b0.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/19/01782FB20000044D-2880438-image-a-29_1418989740207.jpg

Crown Princess Mary, on the other hand, received a very patriotic engagement ring comprising a large ruby flanked by two equally large diamonds being the red and white colour of the Danish National Flag. While being gorgeous (I love rubies), I always thought it sort of looked like something was missing. Obviously, Mary did too.

Original: http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/marysring2.jpg

Altered: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iZUPnb_g...19tEQOkWdYZgCLcB/s1600/2016-0712-maryring.png

Last edited:
Ii thought it was interesting to see which jewelers made the royal engagement rings. these are those t I found so far:

Garrards seem popular amongst the british royals: Diana's, Sophie's and Sarah's engagement rings come from them

Hancocks made Zara's ring

W.A. Bolin made Victoria's (and possibly Sofia's)

Van Cleef and Arpels designed Margrethe's

Maison Repossi made Charlene's

Harry Winston for Soraya of Iran (22 carats!)

Madeleine's ring (by Jonas) was by Cartier

Cartier for Grace[/url]

It seems that crown princess Victoria's engagement ring isn't made by W.A. Bolin. Elisabeth Tarras-Wahlberg, the former Head of Victoria's Household who is also Victoria's friend, said in March 2010 at SVT's Kvällsöppet, that the ring is not a heirloom and that it is not bought from W.A.Bolin.
Sanningen om kronprinsessan Victorias förlovningsring _ Hovbloggen

At Victoria's and Daniel's Wedding book it is told that Daniel ordered the ring from a jeweler abroad, so that they could keep it as a secret. They had discussed about the ring before though. Victoria says at the book that her mother got princess Sibylla's ring as an engagement ring and that her engagement resembles it, and she likes the connection to the past.

Last edited:
One of the most amazing engagement rings is Queen Margrethe's. There is no getting away from the fact that it is big. Really big. It comprises two large square diamonds intertwined by the yellow gold.. But somehow both it's shape and size really suits Margrethe's larger than life personality.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/9c/c9/d7/9cc9d746b4ad3dc83ea79288bc04f6b0.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/12/19/01782FB20000044D-2880438-image-a-29_1418989740207.jpg

Crown Princess Mary, on the other hand, received a very patriotic engagement ring comprising a large ruby flanked by two equally large diamonds being the red and white colour of the Danish National Flag. While being gorgeous (I love rubies), I always thought it sort of looked like something was missing. Obviously, Mary did too.

Original: http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/marysring2.jpg

Altered: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iZUPnb_g...19tEQOkWdYZgCLcB/s1600/2016-0712-maryring.png
Mary's engagement ring has always been one of my least favorites.

Not a fan of Mary's ring either.

LaRae

:previous: Me too! Unique but not overwhelming, same for Anne's second ring. The Queen's and Sophie's are something big but still elegant.

I really liked the sheer beauty and simplicity of Megan's ring. The balance of the two diamonds flanking the central stone was just about perfect offset with a perfectly sized, warm gold band. Now it just looks like a tacky bit of off-centre bling. Regrettably Meghan is not gifted at jewellery design.

Back
Top Bottom