The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Which tiara will Princess Beatrice wear on her wedding day?
Cartier Halo Scroll Tiara 0 0%
Greville Emerald Tiara 0 0%
Papyrus Tiara 1 1.20%
Queen Mary's Diamond Bandeau 1 1.20%
Queen Mary's Fringe Tiara 5 6.02%
Queen Mary's Lozenge Bandeau 4 4.82%
Russian Sapphire Bandeau 7 8.43%
Strathmore Rose Tiara 10 12.05%
Teck Crescent Tiara 0 0%
York Tiara 45 54.22%
Other tiara with a royal connection, please specify 4 4.82%
No tiara at all (brooches, hair pins, flowers etc.), please specify 5 6.02%
Other, please specify 1 1.20%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #221  
Old 07-22-2020, 06:15 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,097
I don't think HM will leave any tiaras to anyone other than Charles, she may stipulate any loans at present are honoured e.g. the 5 aquamarine tiara lent to Sophie. In fact Sophie is the only one this would truly apply to as its unlikely Charles wouldn't allow any loans to Catherine or Camilla and Anne wears her own tiaras. The other loans we have seen have been wedding day loans.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 07-22-2020, 06:38 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I don't think HM will leave any tiaras to anyone other than Charles, she may stipulate any loans at present are honoured e.g. the 5 aquamarine tiara lent to Sophie. In fact Sophie is the only one this would truly apply to as its unlikely Charles wouldn't allow any loans to Catherine or Camilla and Anne wears her own tiaras. The other loans we have seen have been wedding day loans.
Why do you think she will not leave any tiaras to anyone other than Charles? The Queen’s parents and grandparents left jjewelry to collateral branches of the family. Why would HM act differently ?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 07-22-2020, 07:03 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 12,821
The Queen knows that eventually any tiaras left to anyone other than Charles will end up having to be sold. Look what happened to Margaret's jewellery collection.

Even things left to the Kents and Gloucesters won't be in the royal family in a generation and will also end up being sold to pay death duties.

Each generation has to pay death duties on items over a certain value so even if something is able to make it through one or two generations there will come a time when the family no longer has a need for the item as they aren't attending events anymore but they will need the cash either for death duties or for personal use.

The UK has two events most years where tiaras are worn - the two incoming State Banquets (Camilla usually has another two - State Opening of Parliament and the Diplomatic Reception and Catherine the Diplomatic Reception). Why leave something to people to wear twice a year when it is better to simply have them borrow one when necessary, as happened with their weddings.

Zara, for instance, won't be attending events where a tiara is worn, in the future as she isn't royal. She may wear one to her uncle's and her cousin's coronations but she doesn't need to own a tiara to wear twice more in her lifetime. Those tiaras Anne owns will end up being sold ... when Anne dies Peter and Zara will have to pay death duties on them and at some point in the future her descendants will simply sell them.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 07-22-2020, 07:13 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Why do you think she will not leave any tiaras to anyone other than Charles? The Queen’s parents and grandparents left jjewelry to collateral branches of the family. Why would HM act differently ?
Queen Elizabeth will act differently because of what happened to jewels that were left to collateral branches of the family. Yeah if a jewel has no provenance then perhaps The Queen will leave it to a collateral branch with the logic that it's not a big deal if the jewel gets sold and disappears into the ether. However what happened to Queen Victoria’s Sapphire Coronet is definitely a cautionary tale.

What jewels did The Queen Mother leave to collateral branches?
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 07-22-2020, 07:49 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: St Thomas, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands
Posts: 2,595
Out of curiosity, if tiaras of royal provenance eventually become unaffordable to retain even within families that are a few generations removed from royalty, who is it that typically purchases them?
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 07-22-2020, 08:18 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 6,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
Queen Elizabeth will act differently because of what happened to jewels that were left to collateral branches of the family. Yeah if a jewel has no provenance then perhaps The Queen will leave it to a collateral branch with the logic that it's not a big deal if the jewel gets sold and disappears into the ether. However what happened to Queen Victoria’s Sapphire Coronet is definitely a cautionary tale.

What jewels did The Queen Mother leave to collateral branches?

She gave the Persian Turquoise parure to Princess Margaret for example and the Aquamarine pineflower tiara to Princess Anne (although the latter might have been given to the Queen first, I don't know, but anyway it belongs to Anne now).
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 07-22-2020, 08:36 PM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 5,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Princess Margaret wore a tiara in 1948 when she attended the inauguration of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands. As she had just turned 18 this is likely the earliest she wore one.
Which tiara did Princess Margaret wear in 1948?
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 07-22-2020, 08:39 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
She gave the Persian Turquoise parure to Princess Margaret for example and the Aquamarine pineflower tiara to Princess Anne (although the latter might have been given to the Queen first, I don't know, but anyway it belongs to Anne now).
There were jewels worn by Margaret that were believed to be gifted to her by the Queen Mother only to be later worn by The Duchess of Cambridge, so it is not a foregone conclusion that the Persian Turquoise parure was Margaret's property. It is also not a known fact that the Aquamarine Pineflower Tiara "belongs" to Anne, only that she wears it.
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 07-22-2020, 08:41 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 4,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Which tiara did Princess Margaret wear in 1948?
Here is a picture, hope that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 07-22-2020, 09:17 PM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Out of curiosity, if tiaras of royal provenance eventually become unaffordable to retain even within families that are a few generations removed from royalty, who is it that typically purchases them?
Since it is (was) typical for those in the titled class to leave the bulk of the assets to the next title holder, it is not a given that those who are a few generations away from royalty are super wealthy. Of the tiara purchases that I can recall, the buyers of recent royal tiaras have been anonymous unless it was a jeweler or a museum.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 07-22-2020, 10:37 PM
RJC's Avatar
RJC RJC is offline
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Here is a picture, hope that helps.
Looks like it might be Queen Mary's Diamond Lozenge but I'm no expert.

Queen Mary's Diamond Lozenge Tiara | The Court Jeweller
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 07-23-2020, 01:27 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Out of curiosity, if tiaras of royal provenance eventually become unaffordable to retain even within families that are a few generations removed from royalty, who is it that typically purchases them?
Typically, antique dealers, overseas buyers, jewellers to break them up etc
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 07-23-2020, 01:41 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
She gave the Persian Turquoise parure to Princess Margaret for example and the Aquamarine pineflower tiara to Princess Anne (although the latter might have been given to the Queen first, I don't know, but anyway it belongs to Anne now).
> There is no information in the public domain as to whether Margaret was gifted the Persian turquoise parure and the Papyrus / Lotus Flower tiara, or merely provided access to them for her lifetime.

> These loans or gifts to Margaret were made in the 1960s, when she had a lifetime as a working princess ahead of her, and not at the death of her mother, who actualy died after Margaret.

> If the Queen intends to provide "working jewels" to members of her family, they would already have been made, and I think they are unlikely to be bequests which will attract inheritance tax.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 07-23-2020, 02:54 AM
Leopoldine's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Typically, antique dealers, overseas buyers, jewellers to break them up etc
Also certain foundations like the one in Japan, ..the Albion is it? ... and the Al Thani collection, although they might be deaccessioning.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 07-23-2020, 03:41 AM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Princess Margaret wore a tiara in 1948 when she attended the inauguration of Queen Juliana of the Netherlands. As she had just turned 18 this is likely the earliest she wore one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Here is a picture, hope that helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Looks like it might be Queen Mary's Diamond Lozenge but I'm no expert.

Queen Mary's Diamond Lozenge Tiara | The Court Jeweller
I've seen another photo of this event and Princess Margaret is wearing the Cartier Halo tiara.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 07-23-2020, 03:46 AM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 21,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I've seen another photo of this event and Princess Margaret is wearing the Cartier Halo tiara.

There were two events for Juliana’s coronation, Margaret wore the Lozenge one evening and the Halo Scroll the next;

“Margaret, who was ranked fourth in precedence among the royal guests, paired the Diamond Lozenge Tiara with pearls for a "sports fantasy" showcase at Amsterdam's Olympic Stadium following the inauguration. (She chose the Halo Tiara for a concert held the following evening.)”
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 07-23-2020, 03:50 AM
Lilyflo's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
There were two events for Juliana’s coronation, Margaret wore the Lozenge one evening and the Halo Scroll the next;

“Margaret, who was ranked fourth in precedence among the royal guests, paired the Diamond Lozenge Tiara with pearls for a "sports fantasy" showcase at Amsterdam's Olympic Stadium following the inauguration. (She chose the Halo Tiara for a concert held the following evening.)”
Thank you - it must have been very exciting for her to wear both tiaras at age 18!
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 07-23-2020, 04:30 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc23 View Post
Well, I assume she will take part in the next coronation where she would need a tiara. Just a speculation.
Not sure she would. The queen has maintained a friendly relationship with her but I don't think that Charles has.. and she's only the divorced wife of one of C's brothers.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Eugenie: Wedding Tiara and Jewelry Suggestions and Musings Tilia C. Royal Jewels General Discussion 206 10-12-2018 06:11 AM
Meghan Markle: Wedding Tiara and Jewelry Suggestions and Musings Tilia C. Royal Jewels General Discussion 999 05-19-2018 06:02 AM




Popular Tags
american history anastasia 2020 armstrong-jones belgian royal bridal gown canada chittagong coronavirus countess of snowdon cover-up danish history dna dubai dutch dutch royal family edo family tree fantasy movie future genealogy hill house of bernadotte house of saxe-coburg and gotha imperial household introduction italian royal family japan jumma kent king salman languages list of rulers mail monaco history mountbatten nepal nepalese royal family netflix nobel 2019 northern ireland norwegian royal family prince charles prince daniel prince dimitri princess chulabhorn princess dita queen maud royal events royal family royal jewels royal spouse royalty royal wedding royal wedding gown saudi arabia serbian royal family settings spain spanish royal startling new evidence stuart swedish history swedish royal family thailand thai royal family tips tracts united kingdom visit from sweden von hofmannsthal


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises
×