Meghan Markle's Wedding Tiara

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tiara is just gorgeous, as is the veil!

It's a beautiful tiara and fits so well with her veil.

Was it also worn by the Duchess of Kent at her wedding ?

No. The Duchess of Kent wore one of the Kent tiaras on her wedding day. It was another bandeau owned by Queen Mary. It is believed that it was transformed into the Kent's fringe tiara.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Kent Diamond and Pearl Fringe Tiara

I don't know...just know it doesn't look like what is identified as the QM Diamond Bandeau.

LaRae

Queen Mary had 2 diamond bandeaus. The one you are posting, worn by Alexandra, is not the same one. It was given to Princess Marina of Kent, and later passed to her daughter in law the current Duchess. It is believed to now be the fringe tiara of the Kents.

The filigree bandeau Meghan is wearing

http://www.tiara-mania.com/2017/09/queen-mary-filigree-tiara.html

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know...just know it doesn't look like what is identified as the QM Diamond Bandeau.

LaRae

Order of Splendour on Twitter refers to it as such:

The palace simply calling what was known as the filigree tiara, Queen Mary’s Diamond Bandeau.

The Palace call it Queen Mary's Bandeau, but it is commonly known as Queen Mary's Filigree Tiara. This is the best shot of Queen Mary wearing it: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ptnxstm6.../s1600/Filigree+Tiara+%28%29+Queen+Mary+1.jpg

A wonderful tiara indeed. I am glad that it re-appeared. Unbelievable that it has been collecting dust for decades! Makes you wonder what other treasures still around.

Last edited:
A wonderful tiara indeed. I am glad that it re-appeared. Unbelievable that it has been collecting dust for decades! Makes you wonder what other treasures still around.

The things you find when looking through the attic!

Beautiful tiara need and perfect for Meghan!

No. The Duchess of Kent wore one of the Kent tiaras on her wedding day. It was another bandeau owned by Queen Mary. It is believed that it was transformed into the Kent's fringe tiara.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Kent Diamond and Pearl Fringe Tiara

Queen Mary had 2 diamond bandeaus. The one you are posting, worn by Alexandra, is not the same one. It was given to Princess Marina of Kent, and later passed to her daughter in law the current Duchess. It is believed to now be the fringe tiara of the Kents.

The filigree bandeau Meghan is wearing

Tiara Mania: Queen Mary of the United Kingdom's Filigree Tiara

Thank you for the link. Gorgeous.

I would love to go through the vaults and find out! Meghan must have had a blast going through everything.

I love the tiara, I had read about it before but assumed it was well "lost" by now!Its a very good "all round tiara" as I imagine the Duchess of Sussex won't have as many choices as the Duchesses of Cambridge and Cornwall.

Is it just me or was Meghan given a larger tiara to wear for her wedding than Catherine was given for hers?

Is it just me or was Meghan given a larger tiara to wear for her wedding than Catherine was given for hers?

Yes, but considering how tiny the halo was, basically had to be. She would have had to wear no tiara honestly to be smaller. There is no rule that the closer to the throne, the bigger the tiara.

Besides, as we were told, Kate had the choice of several tiaras to wear. She chose the smaller one. Meghan likely had some choice as well.

Meghan's is most likely now her "go to tiara" whereas Kate was always going to have access to more, and bigger, tiaras so only had to pick something to wear for the day itself.

Yes, we don't know tiara's are in the vault or the condition of the older ones.

And the Halo tiara was never in play...1) its currently on tour in Australia and 2) Kate wore it.

kate chose her own tiara, so it is not like someone chose for her or assigned the tiara to kate (i assume the same is true for meghan).

i wouldn't say i would have necessarily chosen this tiara if i were meghan, it looks quite old fashioned, but maybe we will all grow into it. i think the big fail for me was the hair: it was all over meghan's face and the bun looked messy just after 1 hour of service which is a shame as most pictures for history would happen after the service. i hope they fix her hair for the banquet.

What a beautiful and stunning tiara. It is bigger than Kate's but you know what? It doesn't matter at least not to me. I've never been impressed with this tiara until today.

Order of Splendour on Twitter refers to it as such:

The palace simply calling what was known as the filigree tiara, Queen Mary’s Diamond Bandeau.

The Palace call it Queen Mary's Bandeau, but it is commonly known as Queen Mary's Filigree Tiara. This is the best shot of Queen Mary wearing it: https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ptnxstm6.../s1600/Filigree+Tiara+%28%29+Queen+Mary+1.jpg
The confusion came from the name given by the Palace, which led me wrongly to assume it was the Kent tiara. So it is the Filigree after all .

To me, it was the perfect tiara for her. The central diamond (removable) broach with the type of diamonds along the side that pick up colour like yellow and blue.

Last edited:
Meghan's is most likely now her "go to tiara" whereas Kate was always going to have access to more, and bigger, tiaras so only had to pick something to wear for the day itself.

I agree tommy100-This is a delicate but still substantial tiara that I believe will be very versatile if this is her "go to tiara."

That tiara can hold up to any occasion.

LaRae

It will be a very versatile tiara, I'm sure there are brooches in every color of the rainbow that can be inserted in place of the all-diamond centerpiece to compliment whatever gown she wears. Good choice and nice to see an oldie coming out of the vaults.

It is really a beautiful tiara. Even more so if she is lonaed a broosh with a coloured stone who fits into the center. Then it can also became versatile.

Back
Top Bottom