The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-20-2018, 09:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Given that Meghan has jumped right into working, if the Sussexes are in country I think there is a strong possibility of them attending the diplomatic dinner. Interesting to see if she wears this tiara again or a different one.

In 2011 and 2012 William was still full-time military, so as you say only part time in Royal appearances.
Why would they attend the diplomatic dinner, Harry hasn't attended before and the Queen's other children are not attending now. I think it has become a heirs event, because just a few years ago, royals like Princess Alexandra attended.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
This is what I wonder, too, although it could have been from Harry, instead. I do find it significant that she wore the bracelet for the wedding, and the earrings for the second reception, and those are the things that make me wonder if it was actually Harry who gave her those.

Either way, they suit her beautifully, and I'm sure will get a lot of use over the years.
The only reason I thought maybe the set was from Charles is it is said he gifted Kate with a set upon her marriage...and the price tag (over 200,000) seemed more like a Charles gift to me. Also seems like I read somewhere Charles likes to give Cartier ...no idea if that is true or not.

LaRae

Old 05-20-2018, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

I know, it could have been either of them. I don't suppose we'll ever know, but whoever chose those has excellent taste!
Old 05-20-2018, 09:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

HA another reason to think Charles..he's known for his excellent taste in ladies jewelry!

LaRae
Old 05-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent

After watching the wedding video again, I must say I don't like it as wedding tiara, or in general really. The central element gives me that "cyclops" feeling and I find the design old-fashioned.

For a wedding tiara, I would prefer a more subdued bandeau (like Queen Paola's bandeau worn by Princess Mathilde) or, if the bride wants a bigger and sparkling tiara, maybe a fringe tiara as Queen Mary's fringe worn by QEII at her wedding. Princess Madeleine's modern fringe is probably my favorite wedding tiara ever.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Do we have a Duchess of Sussex Jewels thread, yet? If so, I couldn't find it. The Cartier set would be a great way to start it off!
Old 05-20-2018, 09:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Meghan Markle's Wedding Tiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
Do we have a Duchess of Sussex Jewels thread, yet? If so, I couldn't find it. The Cartier set would be a great way to start it off!

Yep it’s definitely there

Duchess of Sussex Jewels: November 2017 -
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=43872
Old 05-20-2018, 09:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

I am waiting to see, if she continues to wear it, if they change the stone out with a colored stone (depending on event) or a different diamond brooch.

Seeing as how the tiara was made in the 30's I guess it could be considered old fashioned...but IMO these art deco pieces generally are always 'modern'.

LaRae
Old 05-20-2018, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Yep it’s definitely there

Duchess of Sussex Jewels: November 2017 -
Duchess of Sussex Jewels: November 2017 - - The Royal Forums
Thanks, bookmarking those.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
The Duchess of Sussex's Bridal Jewels | The Court Jeweller

The tiara is stunning and regal. I was not disappointed by her choice. Happy to this tiara again.
I can only repeat - well played Ms. Markle - now HRH D. of Sussex - I loved the dress and the tiara. Definitely less is more. I really hope to see this tiara now in regular use - not like the Cartier Halo which hasn't been seen since the wedding of D. of Cambridge....
Old 05-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
Why would they attend the diplomatic dinner, Harry hasn't attended before and the Queen's other children are not attending now. I think it has become a heirs event, because just a few years ago, royals like Princess Alexandra attended.
If I am not mistaken, Harry did attend last year. And even if he did not, I would expect him & Meghan to start attending regularly now. It is a large event, and needs to have a reasonable contingent of Windsors to cover the guests. So I suspect you will see the 7 main players (HM, C&C. W&C, H&M), plus the other chikdren of the Queen and their spouses.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
If I am not mistaken, Harry did attend last year. And even if he did not, I would expect him & Meghan to start attending regularly now. It is a large event, and needs to have a reasonable contingent of Windsors to cover the guests. So I suspect you will see the 7 main players (HM, C&C. W&C, H&M), plus the other chikdren of the Queen and their spouses.
No, he didn't. Looks like only Prince Charles with the Duchess of Cornwall and Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were there.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fem View Post
No, he didn't. Looks like only Prince Charles with the Duchess of Cornwall and Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were there.

Since we rarely (almost never) see photos of the event, I don't think we actually know who attends.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:14 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Since we rarely (almost never) see photos of the event, I don't think we actually know who attends.
No, we don't see pictures from the event (besides that one from 2016? I think), but we see people arriving to BP.

Also worth mentioning that Harry was seen at the Henry Van Straubenzee Memorial Fund carol concert last year that was happening on the same day.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I am waiting to see, if she continues to wear it, if they change the stone out with a colored stone (depending on event) or a different diamond brooch.

LaRae

I was thinking the same thing!
That would make the tiara very versatile, especially if this is her long-term tiara.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

I suspect it will be...there are so few tiara events and she will never have a need for another one really. She might pick up the use of a different one (Like Sophie) but hard to know.

LaRae
Old 05-20-2018, 01:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I suspect it will be...there are so few tiara events and she will never have a need for another one really. She might pick up the use of a different one (Like Sophie) but hard to know.

LaRae
Do you really think that for the next 30 years Meghan will wear the same tiara everytime she needs one? She might just get bored with this one after a while.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Do you really think that for the next 30 years Meghan will wear the same tiara everytime she needs one? She might just get bored with this one after a while.
Even if there are multiple tiaras to choose from, which is not Meghan's situation, most tiara wearers tend to have one or two that are favorites, either because they fit better, or are lighter in weight, or whatever. And if you are only wearing a tiara once a year or so, I'm not sure it matters.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If you wear it maybe twice a year and it goes with most everything what's to be bored with?

LaRae
Old 05-20-2018, 01:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
That does not seem to bother the Duchess of Cornwall.

Tags
meghan markle, prince harry, prince harry of wales, tiara, wedding