Meghan Markle's Wedding Tiara

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that she's married, she will need the wardrobe and accessories to go with it. I'm sure there will be presents along the way....jewelry presents.

LaRae

I think I would like it with a pale aquamarine or an amethyst stone as central element. I don’t think it would look so good with a single ruby.

What about a garnet?

Meghan sometimes wears dark red, so that might be an option.

She would look amazing at her next tiara event in a beautiful sleek evening gown, with the amethyst bracelet on her wrist, and the tiara with an amethyst broach in it.

I can't remember the amethyst bracelet. Can you post a picture?

What about a garnet?

Meghan sometimes wears dark red, so that might be an option.

I think any dark colored stone is going to make it look to Cyclops-like. Better to stick with aquas or maybe pink topaz, light citrine would work, too.

This is the only amethyst bracelet of Diana's I remember, it was part of a amethyst diamond parure (necklace, bracelet, earrings). First the bracelet & earrings (btw, Meghan would look nice in that imo very fashion forward and not at all granny-like pearl choker of Diana's). I'm sure she wouldn't turn her nose up at it if offered. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9f/7a/68/9f7a6864a5fc2cda03435a323e355fc9.jpg

And the matching necklace: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7ASYfKU0AAgVF-.jpg

I can't remember the amethyst bracelet. Can you post a picture?

Sorry meant aquamarine not amethyst, had the a jewels jumbled in head. Was referring to the bracelet that goes with the ring Meghan was wearing.

She did have an amethyst necklace though.

Last edited:
When I look at close ups of her round Cartier earrings they very much match the tiara ..it makes me think they were created to work with the tiara too..even though she wore them prior to the wedding.

LaRae
No, they just got lucky and the earrings matched very well. They're from an existing collection Galanterie de Cartier.

And they have a VERY nice price tag.

Right, the earrings were not designed to go with the tiara, but they were probably chosen because they do.

As for Sophies tiaras, we should keep in mind that the small daisy bandeau was a one-time loaner from a jeweller, so that she wouldn't have to wear the same tiara two nights in a row at Fred and Mary's wedding. In 2005 she wore the modern aquamarine tiara for the first time. It was new and from Garrard's, afaik. And there were speculations that it came from Edward. So no gift or loaner from the Queen. It was only in 2012, thirteen years into their marriage, that she received a second tiara from the Queen, the five aquamarine tiara. Neither Diana's nor Sarah's marriages lasted that long.

Additionally, the Queen seems to have become more generous about loaning out jewellery in recent years. And we don't know how Charles and Camilla will handle the issue when it becomes their turn. So just about anything is possible.

I like the idea of light coloured stones in the centre brooch. The Duchess of Gloucester's palmette tiara looks best with the pink stone, imo. But the Russian sapphire bandeau is a good example that dark central stones are also rather common. It's a pity that the Spanish State Visit was before the wedding. So now we will probably wait a while before we see Meghan in a tiara again.

I think any dark colored stone is going to make it look to Cyclops-like. Better to stick with aquas or maybe pink topaz, light citrine would work, too.

This is the only amethyst bracelet of Diana's I remember, it was part of a amethyst diamond parure (necklace, bracelet, earrings). First the bracelet & earrings (btw, Meghan would look nice in that imo very fashion forward and not at all granny-like pearl choker of Diana's). I'm sure she wouldn't turn her nose up at it if offered. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9f/7a/68/9f7a6864a5fc2cda03435a323e355fc9.jpg

And the matching necklace: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7ASYfKU0AAgVF-.jpg

I'm not a fan of citrine in whatever hue. However, I'm rather partial to yellow diamonds. Just out of curiosity, I'd love to see an opal as the brooch element of the tiara. There are many magnificent shades of opal which was once a favourite of Queen Victoria who frequently gave opal jewellery to relatives. I believe the earrings Meghan wore on her engagement day were opals.

Now that she's married, she will need the wardrobe and accessories to go with it. I'm sure there will be presents along the way....jewelry presents.

LaRae
Wedding gifts . . . because of all the new bling I hadn't thought of that until now. My cup runneth over! I know I'm greedy but this is the "sweet spot" jewel wise.

I think we will also see pieces of Diana's jewellery start to appear on both Meghan and Catherine. It always seemed sensible that they would wait until they were married and, with the appearance of the aquamarine ring, I believe it has begun.

Today she is wearing new bling too!

LaRae

I am very interested to see how she wears this in years to come (assuming this is the tiara she's to stick with). If she does go down the road of substituting other jewels for the center element, I hope we don't see much in the way of one giant colored stone being stuck there. I don't think you can escape the cyclops look no matter what cut or color you opt for. The best route, I think, would be to echo the existing broach to a degree -- and the side elements that are styled like it -- and use a cluster of smaller stones.

http://www.people.com/royals/royal-wedding-meghan-markle-tiara
This is the article that mentioned the diamond bandeau was a present to the then Princess Mary in 1893. This also gave me the impression that her 1893 veil had been used by Meghan.
Hmm, there are several inaccuracies in the article. Princess Mary received the Brooch as a wedding present in 1893 and, as was her way when she became Queen, had a diamond filigree tiara made using the brooch as a central and replaceable element. We have only seen photos of it with the diamond brooch.

The bandeau Princess Margaret wore was the Diamond and Sapphire Bandeau. I never liked the bandeau from the photos, it looked a heavy and clumsy piece with a honking great big dark sapphire that looks like a +-cyclops eye!

However, having seen how delicate and beautiful the Filigree Tiara is, I may have to eat my words if we ever see Cyclops again.

Hmm, there are several inaccuracies in the article. Princess Mary received the Brooch as a wedding present in 1893 and, as was her way when she became Queen, had a diamond filigree tiara made using the brooch as a central and replaceable element. We have only seen photos of it with the diamond brooch.

The bandeau Princess Margaret wore was the Diamond and Sapphire Bandeau. I never liked the bandeau from the photos, it looked a heavy and clumsy piece with a honking great big dark sapphire that looks like a +-cyclops eye!

However, having seen how delicate and beautiful the Filigree Tiara is, I may have to eat my words if we ever see Cyclops again.

The name filigree tiara for the Duchess is as wrong as the name rose-cut diamonds bandeau for that jewel of the Dutch Queen (which has not one rose-cut diamond in it). There is not one piece of fillegrain to see in Meghan's wedding diadem.

This is a filigree diadem: picture.

The name filigree tiara for the Duchess is as wrong as the name rose-cut diamonds bandeau for that jewel of the Dutch Queen (which has not one rose-cut diamond in it). There is not one piece of fillegrain to see in Meghan's wedding diadem.

This is a filigree diadem: picture.
Not too sure of your point. I was merely pointing out that the various descriptions and names used over time is what caused the two tiaras to be either confused or thought to be one and the same.

Meghan's tiara has been referred to as the filigree simply for convenience and clarification. Queen Mary owned four bandeau tiaras.

1. The lozenge bandeau
2. the sapphire bandeau
3. the filigree (Meghan)
4. the diamond bandeau

The first two we know well as they were debated as possible wedding tiaras. The fourth one though has been commonly referred to as 'Queen Mary's diamond bandeau' before now. To differentiate, the one Meghan wore, was given the name the filigree bandeau.

At least one poster, when the ID was made on the wedding day, that Meghan was wearing #4. Because reporters were simply calling it the diamond bandeau (as now it seems blogs are calling it now).

The 'diamond bandeau' is now the Kent fringe tiara, worn by the duchess.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Kent Diamond and Pearl Fringe Tiara

Which jeweller made Queen Mary Diamond Bandeau Tiara? In what year was the tiara made?

The bandeau Meghan wore was made in 1932. The brooch in the center is 40 years older. It was a gift to Mary from the county of Lincoln for her wedding in 1893. The tiara was crafted to fit the brooch.

As for designer, like a few of her tiaras, it isn't known. It is quite likely Garrard's who were the court jewelers back then. But a few of her pieces were done by other jewelers.

Last edited:
Whatever it is called, that was a nice piece of sparkler that's for sure. :lol:

I still keep reading that Princess Margaret was the last to wear It! They keep writing that there is one diamond Bandeau that has an interchangeable sapphire instead of two separate tiaras. The Diamond Filigree Bandeau and a Diamond and Sapphire Bandeau. I think the shape fools them when we wouldn't be.

When thinking of the tiara that Meghan wore for her wedding, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to think that the one she chose to wear wasn't so much as to make a statement that she was a royal bride but rather that wearing a tiara was something that was expected as a royal bride.

In other words, she followed a tradition (regardless of the provenance and the historical meaning of said tiara) of wearing one but rather than being a masterpiece of proclaiming to the world that what she was doing was becoming royalty, it all blended into an overall look that precisely stated who she was, where she was going and not only her acceptance and willingness of the life she is giving herself to with marrying Harry but it also was done to the point that it was only part of the overall look.

I still think that the overall picture of the person that walked towards Harry at that wedding was one of humility.

Just thoughts.

I still keep reading that Princess Margaret was the last to wear It! They keep writing that there is one diamond Bandeau that has an interchangeable sapphire instead of two separate tiaras. The Diamond Filigree Bandeau and a Diamond and Sapphire Bandeau. I think the shape fools them when we wouldn't be.
I quite agree. They are definitely two different tiaras, but one would have to take the trouble to look closely at the pictures of Princess Margret with the sapphire bandeau. The pattern in the bandeau is clearly different from the pattern in the Surrey brooch bandeau that Meghan has worn.

When thinking of the tiara that Meghan wore for her wedding, the more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to think that the one she chose to wear wasn't so much as to make a statement that she was a royal bride but rather that wearing a tiara was something that was expected as a royal bride.

In other words, she followed a tradition (regardless of the provenance and the historical meaning of said tiara) of wearing one but rather than being a masterpiece of proclaiming to the world that what she was doing was becoming royalty, it all blended into an overall look that precisely stated who she was, where she was going and not only her acceptance and willingness of the life she is giving herself to with marrying Harry but it also was done to the point that it was only part of the overall look.

I still think that the overall picture of the person that walked towards Harry at that wedding was one of humility...

The Diamond (Filigree) Bandeau tiara (of Queen Mary's) that Meghan wore on her wedding day was perfect for her. The tiara and the veil were absolutely stunning and definitely enhanced and complemented the dress she chose to wear.

Regarding interest around Meghan wearing this or another tiara again anytime soon, here's a direct quote from the earlier linked article on the website, The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendour:

"Some have asked if Queen Mary’s Diamond Bandeau Tiara will be a lifetime loan to the Duchess, a question that can only be answered by waiting to see if she continues to wear it. (Many brides do end up using their wedding tiara regularly; the Duchess of Cambridge is a prime example of those who don’t.) We could be in for a bit of a wait for Meghan's next tiara opportunity, given that Prince Harry is not a regular attendee at state banquets (his first was in 2017) and he has not attended the annual Diplomatic Reception. It took two and a half years to see the Duchess of Cambridge in a tiara again after her wedding. Until then, we’ll just have to delight in a sparkly mystery solved once and for all!"

Last edited by a moderator:

A couple of main media mixed up the Sapphire one and Meghan's since the wedding, so many people (especially these who don't follow royal news/jewels) misunderstood that Meghan wore the Sapphire bandeau with another diamond centre piece. (and probably "Meghan Markle wearing Princess Margaret's tiara" is more eye catching than "Meghan Markle wearing Queen Mary's tiara":rolleyes:).

I don't think Sussexes will attend Diplomatic Reception? so her next tiara opportunity probably depends on will they attend next state visit's banquet.

HM obviously has her own plans for the latest married couple and perhaps we will see some very nice sparkly bits (preferably the Diamond Filigree Bandeau) sooner than we expect.

Several off topic posts have been deleted.

The subject of this thread is the wedding thread...not royal engagements.

Meghan recalls the ‘surreal’ day the Queen helped her pick out her wedding tiara at Buckingham Palace – and describes her stunning 1930s choice as ‘perfect’ and ‘timeless’

• Duchess of Sussex, 37, wore the Queen Mary Diamond Bandeau at her wedding
  • She spoke about picking the tiara in a special recording for new exhibition
  • Meghan revealed Harry accompanied her to Buckingham Palace to choose tiara
By Emily Chan For Mailonline
Published: 06:59 EDT, 26 October 2018 | Updated: 07:27 EDT, 26 October 2018

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ped-pick-wedding-tiara-Buckingham-Palace.html

I guess Harry wasn't kidding when he said it's a lot of work for the groom too. :lol:

But very happy to see the dress on display. I won't be able to make it at Windsor, but I'll be travelling to Europe next year and will definitely spend a little time in Scotland now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom