Meghan Markle: Future Tiaras and Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soapstar

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
Hermosa Beach
Country
United States
Welcome to Meghan's Future Tiaras and Jewels.

Discuss the tiara and jewels that Meghan may wear in the future.

Wish List:
Wedding Tiara - Spencer Tiara
Starter Tiara(s) - Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara or Sapphire Bandeau Tiara or Queen Mary's Diamond Lozenge Bandeau Tiara
Big Gun Tiara - Delhi Durbar Tiara
Other Tiara - Purchased Tiara, preferably no sooner than 5 years after marriage if at all.

Of course I know that there are potential issues like some tiaras may no longer be at the monarch's disposal but these are my preferences assuming the jewels are available and any other barriers can be dealt with.

Last edited:
Spencer tiara belongs to Earl Spencer very unlikely we will see that used.

LaRae

I would not be surprised if she would receive something new, or something from the collection that has been reconverted. The same happened for Sarah Ferguson and the Countess of Wessex.

Interesting Mirabel.
Visually it has similarities to the Spencer Tiara, but is in Ms Markle's favourite yellow Gold... it maybe 'just the ticket' for her, and the Prince of Wales is known to have 'scouts' at all the main London auction houses...

I too hope she wears a loaner. Maybe the Strathmore Rose...

I think for the wedding it'll be the Cartier Halo, Lotus Flower, Strathmore Rose, Teck Crescent or a new one. I can't imagine any other from the already existing tiaras be used as her first one.

I do hope she will be able to wear the Persian Turqouise tiara. I think with her brown hair, brown eyes and skintone it will look beyond spectacular.

I think, considering all the jewels available to the royal family, it makes no sense to buy a new one. But it would be a lovely present. I could see the purchase being made so it can be passed down Harry’s line. Still, there are so many tiaras that haven’t been seen in decades and so we may not even know about or at least not be one anyone’s radar.

:previous: I agree that it would be wise to purchase a tiara that can be used by her in the present and in the future can be used by Harry and Meghan's descendants too.

I think, considering all the jewels available to the royal family, it makes no sense to buy a new one. But it would be a lovely present. I could see the purchase being made so it can be passed down Harry’s line. Still, there are so many tiaras that haven’t been seen in decades and so we may not even know about or at least not be one anyone’s radar.

Sarah got a new tiara when she married Andrew, didn't she ? And recently, Princess Sofia of Sweden also got a new tiara for her wedding despite the Swedish royal family also having a fairly large collection of diadems (albeit not as large as the British RF's).

I actually think it makes total sense that Meghan should get her own tiara as that would be her one and only tiara for the few white-tie events she will have to attend with Harry from now on (one or two at most per year). And, as you said, it could be passed down in time to Harry's children.

Looking back at some women who married into European royal families in the past 20 years or so:

1. Mathilde, Claire, Mette-Marit, Mary, and Sofia all got new wedding gift tiaras (although Mathilde borrowed a tiara from her future mother-in-law at the wedding ceremony properly and only got her wedding gift tiara later).
  2. Letizia, Máxima, Marie, Kate and Sophie wore tiaras from the groom's family collection at their wedding; Letizia, like Mathilde however, also got a wedding gift tiara which she wore only once AFAIK and many years later.
  3. Stéphanie, like Diana Spencer, wore a tiara that belonged to her own family at her wedding to Guillaume.

Sophie wore a newly created tiara and then received a convertible necklace/tiara (we think - unless its a loaner somehow).

I really don't know about Harry's mothers' jewels but maybe a new tiara could be created out of some necklace etc she wore?

I think its hard to tell with the BRF what the precedence is, Diana wore her own, Sarah got her own, Sophie walked a line between the two - a tiara from the vaults made up for her

A poll about her wedding tiara has just been added to the thread about her wedding jewels:
The Royal Forums - View Poll Results

I know that it is not easy to keep the two topics apart. But this thread should be dedicated to the jewels which she might wear later on in her married life.

I think after the divorces of the 90s and the taxes - the BRF have used a general rule of thumb: new jewels may be gifted and historical jewels will be loaned. Of course Meghan will have access to Dianas jewels as well.

Meghan may be given a new tiara - but given the lack of tiara events these days, I would think a loaned tiara would be more practical and if her new father in law wanted to buy her a new demi-parure as a wedding gift it would be most welcome.:queen4:

The link to Diana's sapphires raise the question for me about wedding gifts of jewels and their ownership. Many of her sapphires were part of a wedding gift from Saudi Arabia. The queen was given several parures and, I believe, some loose jewels, as wedding gifts from foreign nations. I've read that the queen's jewelry gifts, because they come from foreign nations, are not really considered private property. She can't give them to another family member, since it would likely end up passed down in that branch of the family and essentially be lost to the BRF. But was that because she is the monarch or entirely because of the giver? What about Diana's gifts from the Saudis (and any others from foreign states)? Were they her own property or the crown's? Either way, I guess they could be fair game for making something for Meghan to wear, but would that jewelry be hers or essentially a loaner?

Official gifts are official and belong to the firm/BRF/Trust. I don't know that we have ever discussed if, for example, the Saudis could gift to a trust or a Duchy, rather than to the main Trust. So, Camilla's parures might have been able to be donated to Wales. But why do that? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

There are limits to what can be accepted as a personal gift. A couple of years ago I could find the link for that in 10 seconds on the BRF webpage. Today, it is more of a fishing expedition. But the limit is relatively low in value. Personal jewels of value can be personally owned only when from personal close friends/family. Charles is the one doing the most gifting these days, as far as I can tell.

Realistically, I think Her Majesty is happy with the BRF member using the stuff as given and for their lifetime. But it belongs to the crown. I think Camilla will do that as well. Equally realistically, the days when big guns are given are diminishing for a lot of good reasons.

Wish List:
Wedding Tiara - Spencer Tiara
Starter Tiara(s) - Cartier Bracelet Bandeau Tiara or Sapphire Bandeau Tiara or Queen Mary's Diamond Lozenge Bandeau Tiara
Big Gun Tiara - Delhi Durbar Tiara
Other Tiara - Purchased Tiara, preferably no sooner than 5 years after marriage if at all

Of course I know that there are potential issues like some tiaras may no longer be at the monarch's disposal but these are my preferences assuming the jewels are available and any other barriers can be dealt with.

I tend to believe that, as long QEII is on the throne, it is unlikely that MM will have more than one tiara at her disposal on a regular basis. She won't have more than two or so tiara events per year anyway.

When Charles is king and inherits his mother's vault, he may be more generous in terms of sharing it his daughters-in-law, but that remains to be seen.

Okay, I have been Team Strathmore Rose up till now. I'm feeling a very strong tug to the Diamond Lozenge Bandeau. It's so striking without being a big gun.

Okay, I have been Team Strathmore Rose up till now. I'm feeling a very strong tug to the Diamond Lozenge Bandeau. It's so striking without being a big gun.

Yep...it is very unique.

LaRae

I'd love to see Meghan in some of these jewels, but part of me feels that sapphires "belong" to Kate. She is most associated with them because of her engagement ring and the sapphire earrings she's already worn. So, part of me thinks that all the sapphires should go to Kate.

Instead, I'd like to see Meghan wearing other jewels - emeralds, pearls, diamonds. I don't know if she likes them, but I feel like she would look amazing in pearls - sophisticated and classy, and IMO they'd look gorgeous against her skin.

With regard to ownership of gifts, IMO it would depend on whether they were personal gifts (i.e. a wedding gift like Diana's sapphire set) or a gift bestowed during an official visit or tour. The latter would be gifts to the crown and therefore not belong to the recipient. But, the former - a wedding gift -that seems like it would belong to the recipient. I just don't see how the crown could take ownership of a personal gift. But, this is just my speculation, I could be completely wrong. (Although, one example supporting my case is Diana's engagement ring! That was a gift and remained her personal property.)

Regarding general jewels for Meghan, again...pearls! And I think she'd look great in emeralds as well. My understanding/observation of the BRF is that - unlike the Swedish RF, e.g. - the women do not share tiaras (except from mother to daughter for a wedding, e.g.), so I don't expect to see Meghan wearing any tiaras that the queen, Camilla, or Kate has worn before. So, this might leave Meghan's wedding tiara, the Strathmore Rose, the Teck Crescent (even though this is purportedly in Camilla's custody, she hasn't worn it so might be willing for it to be used by Meghan...), and a few others. I'm hoping that Harry attending his first state dinner last year is a sign that he (and Meghan) will be at them going forward.

Last edited:
I'd love to see Meghan in some of these jewels, but part of me feels that sapphires "belong" to Kate. She is most associated with them because of her engagement ring and the sapphire earrings she's already worn. So, part of me thinks that all the sapphires should go to Kate.

Instead, I'd like to see Meghan wearing other jewels - emeralds, pearls, diamonds. I don't know if she likes them, but I feel like she would look amazing in pearls - sophisticated and classy, and IMO they'd look gorgeous against her skin.

With regard to ownership of gifts, IMO it would depend on whether they were personal gifts (i.e. a wedding gift like Diana's sapphire set) or a gift bestowed during an official visit or tour. The latter would be gifts to the crown and therefore not belong to the recipient. But, the former - a wedding gift -that seems like it would belong to the recipient. I just don't see how the crown could take ownership of a personal gift. But, this is just my speculation, I could be completely wrong. (Although, one example supporting my case is Diana's engagement ring! That was a gift and remained her personal property.)

There is a difference in a ring gifted to you by your fiancee and priceless jewelry from the government of another country even if it was a "wedding gift"

The only stone I've seen her in so far are diamonds and she had on opal earrings yesterday. We know she likes yellow gold. Time will tell if she likes colored gemstones or not.

LaRae

I tend to believe that, as long QEII is on the throne, it is unlikely that MM will have more than one tiara at her disposal on a regular basis. She won't have more than two or so tiara events per year anyway.

When Charles is king and inherits his mother's vault, he may be more generous in terms of sharing it his daughters-in-law, but that remains to be seen.
I have the same belief that the Queen only allots one tiara to female family members but I believe that the Queen allows switching, so in my scenario, over the years, Meghan will transition from starter tiara(s) to big gun tiara(s). I also agree that Charles may do things differently when he is monarch.

I wonder how Meghan will eventually wear her hair. As it is now, her hair has been very much dictated by characters she has played and by certain biases in the acting profession regarding hair that will 'sell' an image. Harry comes into it of course (as does every boyfriend/husband). She will maintain whatever hair Harry wants. We all do that (until the 4th child ;) ). However, what we see may be exactly the style and kind of hair Meghan prefers. Maybe. So no change.

Depending on her innate style that has yet to reveal itself will depend what she gravitates towards in the tiara department and that revelation will be interesting to see. I look forward to the journey of discovery! :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom