Meghan Markle: Future Tiaras and Jewels

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen conflicting reports on Diana being gifted or loaned things like the emerald choker and other items. Can you provide a reputable source that proves she wasn't outright gifted the choker or the lover's knot tiara?

PS: there is some question as to if there are actually 2 Prince of Wales badges.

The Queen does not give away existing tiaras.

The fact is that any personal jewelry went to her sons. Loaned jewelry went back to the Vaults.

LaRae

The Choker WAS a 'lifetime loan'.. ie it was worn AFTER the Divorce...

Similarly the 'Lover's Knot', but since as 'Diana Princess of Wales', the late Princess ceased to attend 'Tiara Events', it wasn't seen again before her death, and indeed not until the Duchess of Cambridge appeared in it a year or so ago.

We CANNOT prove this [obviously], but there is a consensus amongst 'experts' and 'interested' alike, that this is the case...

Why would there be two Emerald drop PoW Feathers brooches ?

Do the jewels in the vault actually belongs to the Queen personally? I always thought it was not like her wedding bracelet or the Greek Key Tiara.

But yes, I'm fairly certain that some pieces wouldn't just be gifted, but a lifetime loan. The debate when Diana divorced was whether the lifetime loan mean the life of the marriage or the life of the person given. It was determined to be the latter. I can guarantee that these are not the terms of today.

IIRC there are jewels owned by the Queen personally and then there are jewels (including tiaras etc) owned by The Crown.

LaRae

IIRC there are jewels owned by the Queen personally and then there are jewels (including tiaras etc) owned by The Crown.

LaRae

That's what I thought as well. I don't think the Queen has the legal right to give away anything owned by The Crown. She can make lifetime loans, but that's not gifting.

Why would there be two Emerald drop PoW Feathers brooches ?

There has been some talk over the years that Alexandra was given more than one POW Feather brooch during her long time as POW. One of the pictures of some of her wedding gifts show two brooches - one is the feathers with the emerald drop - the other is of similar design including the emerald drop but the center is clearly a Welsh leek. Some may mistake the leek for another feathers piece due to the way the green bits are spread out. (See Suzy Menkes book "The Royal Jewels" for picture.) The debate was particularly strong after Camilla was seen wearing the feathers with the emerald. Some of it may have also been to try to prove that Camilla wasn't wearing "Diana's brooch/pendant". Menkes says it was an engagement gift to Diana from QEQM but was originally a wedding present to Alexandra from "the Ladies of Bristol". My guess is any gifts of historical pieces could have been retained during her lifetime but would then be returned to the BRF as part of the divorce settlement

Personally I think the sultan of Oman sapphire suite (number 8 in the link below) would fit Meghan's modern style for more bling heavy events. It was actually owned by Diana (unlike the Cambridge emeralds) and seems to be the piece most aligned with Meghan's taste (compared to the sapphire choker or the Saudi set).

The Top Ten: Princess Diana's Jewels | The Court Jeweller

Personally I think the sultan of Oman sapphire suite (number 8 in the link below) would fit Meghan's modern style for more bling heavy events. It was actually owned by Diana (unlike the Cambridge emeralds) and seems to be the piece most aligned with Meghan's taste (compared to the sapphire choker or the Saudi set).

The Top Ten: Princess Diana's Jewels | The Court Jeweller

I just said the same thing as a side note in the wedding tiara thread. Although, the arguement for the Saudi suite would be that it's simpler designs. But anyways, we've seen the earrings from the Saudi set on Kate already, right?

Last edited:
I just said the same thing as a side note in the wedding tiara thread. Although, the arguement for the Saudi suite would be that it's simpler designs. But anyways, we've seen the earrings from the Saudi set on Kate already, right?

I don't believe we have, but I wonder if political questions around Saudi Arabia might keep that set in the vault for now given that, unlike other probable Middle Eastern pieces, we know the country of origin and its dodgy track record in the global community.

Not a fan of either the Saudi not Omani Sapphire demi-parure's on ANYBODY, tbh. They somehow contrive to look like Costume jewels..

I don't believe we have, but I wonder if political questions around Saudi Arabia might keep that set in the vault for now given that, unlike other probable Middle Eastern pieces, we know the country of origin and its dodgy track record in the global community.

I haven't paid attention to Camilla's jewels lately. I just know she looks great in the big guns. Has she worn any of hers lately?

Let me note that none of you have given a creditable source showing categorically that Diana was or wasn't given the emeralds or lover's knot tiara as outright gifts.
Which is what I asked.

Last edited:
The Lovers Knot tiara that Diana wore was actually made for Queen Mary in 1914 and was passed down to the Queen who wore it also. This tells me that it is a "family" tiara and not something that the Queen would "gift" to anyone but give out as a lifetime loan. It is the Queen that gave the Lovers Knot tiara to Kate to wear and not out of Diana's personal jewelry.

We're really getting sidetracked away from Meghan's fashions here...

Let me note that none of you have given a creditable source showing categorically that Diana was or wasn't given the emeralds or lover's knot tiara as outright gifts.
Which is what I asked.

For goodness' sake, the jewels you listed aren't the Queen's personal asset. They belong to The Crown. I believe Queen Mary's Emerald Choker has even been on display at BP since Diana's death, so obviously, the Queen has it.

Lover's Knot is in the BRF Vaults. It was never given as a gift to Diana, it was returned to the Queen at some point after the divorce or her death.

(..)

LaRae

The Emerald Choker:

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Art Deco Emerald Choker
https://royalwatcherblog.com/2017/08/20/queen-marys-art-deco-emerald-choker/

The last time Diana, Princess of Wales wore Queen Mary’s Art Deco Emerald Choker was for her 36th Birthday at the Tate Gallery in London in July 1997. Two months later, she had died, and the choker came back into the Queen’s collection.

The Lover's Knot Tiara:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a10302981/cambridge-love-knot-tiara/

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Cambridge Lover's Knot

When Diana and Charles divorced, the crown was returned to Queen Elizabeth II—Diana was allowed to keep her jewerly as part of the settlement, but as the tiara was on loan from the Queen, it was given back—and reportedly put into a safe at Buckingham Palace.

Last edited:
Camilla never wore Lover's Knot. That was photoshopped. But that's beside the point, but the tiara belongs to the Crown, not even HMQ personally. Queens have gifted tiaras to members of the family, but those are personally owned by them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to see Meghan wear the Queens diamond fringe tiara for her wedding. It will also go with anything else she wears at tiara events. The Oman sapphire suite will also be perfect for her. But we must not forget that in the near future as Prince Harry is now a minor royal I don't see the couple being invited to too many gala events. Hopefully we will see the future Duke and Duchess attend State dinners for visiting royals etc.

I also think pearls will suit her very well. And I would love to see a new pearl tiara given to Meghan. Especially as the Lovers Knot is now associated with Kate and suits her very well.

I think a diamond and pearl tiara would look fabulous on Meghan.

LaRae

Do these pieces get renamed when a new woman starts wearing it?

a diamond and pearl tiara would look fabulous on Meghan.

It would have to be 'new'-[acquired or made up from stones 'in the vault'], as there is none suitable in the Royal collection..

Do these pieces get renamed when a new woman starts wearing it?

Not 'as a rule'.. Historic pieces don't change their name, only newly acquired/made up Tiaras take the name of the wearer.. ie 'York Tiara', 'Wessex Tiara'.
Altho' when the 'Poltimore' tiara was purchased for Princess Margaret's wedding, it kept its original name.

Last edited:
Not when it comes from the BRF vaults. I think those names carry down.

Now if you buy one from a private sale I guess you could call it whatever...kinda like the York Tiara.

LaRae

It would have to be 'new'-[acquired or made up from stones 'in the vault'], as there is none suitable in the Royal collection..

Yeah I've seen a couple on the auction sites that are just gorgeous.

LaRae

I saw where it was called the "Cambridge Lover's Knot," so I wondered if there was some kind of naming convention.

But we must not forget that in the near future as Prince Harry is now a minor royal I don't see the couple being invited to too many gala events.

I'm going off on a tangent here but I don't think it's true at all that Harry is a minor royal. He's 6th in Line, yes, but the Cambridge children will be out of the spotlight for the next 15-20 years minimum. That leaves the Queen and Charles and his sons as the most Senior royals, particularly as it relates to engagements, patronages and charities. When the Queen passes, Harry will not only go back up in the Iine of succession, he will also be a central part of Charles' new, streamlined Monarchy. My belief is that the hope is W&K are the traditional stalwart couple devoted to the Crown and Country and H&M are being marketed as the hip modernisers earmarked for international and Commonwealth duties.

All that to say that I think H&M will most definitely be partaking in gala and white-tie events on a semi-regular basis, similar to the Cambridges and as such, Meghan will require some substantial pieces for her personal use. Aside from her wedding tiara, I hope Harry or Charles gifts her with her own personal tiara that will stay in the Sussex (?) Line. And if I were her, as an independent American woman of substantial means, I'd pull a CP Mary, hit up some auctions and buy myself something that is completely to my liking. But that's just the little princess-wannabe in me talking

Harry/Meghan are going to be the main support for William/Kate (and Charles/Camilla) for another 2 decades. Until the Cambridge children are in their mid to late 20's.

Harry/Meghan are going to be senior royals.

LaRae

I saw where it was called the "Cambridge Lover's Knot," so I wondered if there was some kind of naming convention.

The Cambridge name comes from the fact the tiara, originally made for Queen Mary, was inspired by a tiara owned by either her grandmother The Duchess of Cambridge and/or her aunt Princess Augusta of Cambridge. Thus the tiara was called the Cambridge/ Queen Mary's Lovers Knot Tiara

In all honesty most tiara's names are made up by royal watchers/the press as a way to describe/distinguish them, with names coming from either their original or most famous wearers. The only exceptions are when royal families come out and give the tiara a name (usually in press releases like the one describing the Halo tiara on Will and Kate's wedding day).

I should have clarified my comment better. I agree Prince Harry will be a senior royal with lots of duties to perform once his father becomes King. Until then he is not really a senior royal as such. For instance he was not required to attend the Diplomatic Corp function. And I don't think he has been to any state dinners yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom