Least Appreciated Royal Jewel: Queen Margrethe's "Golden Poppies" Hair Ornament

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That picture that was given--yeah, there are a lot of reactions to it. Let's try to find a better picture!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think i have seen other photos of Margrethe with all poppies but in recent years she sometimes wears one of them in her chignon. (for example at the Dinner at the Engagement of Frederik and Mary).

Is there a close up where we can see these insects and dew drops? I've never noticed them before. Maybe I was just blinded by the general horror of the thing!

Is there a close up where we can see these insects and dew drops? I've never noticed them before. Maybe I was just blinded by the general horror of the thing!

You know, when I read about the dewdrops and insects I was also a touch confused. I guess all that shiney-ness was blinding, indeed!

I've gone through the Worst Royal Jewels 1 and 2 threads and moved most of the Poppies-specific posts over to create this new thread.
Not because the subject is particularly interesting, but because the "Poppies" discussion has come and gone through three separate and repetitive cycles:
early 2006, February 2008 and now again in January 2009.

Early 2007 is notable for its lack of a Poppies revival, but the seasonal rhythm has since been resumed and the natural order restored.

There is one other royal jewel that appears to be largely disliked by members, that being Queen Sonja's modern topaz tiara. That discussion is also cyclical (I've come across the Wonder Woman video three times now), but not substantial enough to warrant its own thread.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

Whatever is said about the poppies Queen Margarethe manages to wear jewels and clothes that no one else could possibly look good in and she looks majestic and great in them.
For me the tiara I dislike most is the button one worn by CP Victoria, not over the top like the poppies but ghastly. I would have it made back into buttons....

Poppies, Menarue, this thread is for the Poppies!
We still have the Worst Royal Jewels thread for all the other unloved, unwanted and unappreciated trinkets.

Poppies, ok Poppies, but I still think...........:yuk::sick:

Sorry, Warren. I know that I posted that WonderWoman video at least twice. I shall abstain from now on!

will Mary ever wear the poppies???? i seriously hope not she has better taste

:beamup:Please donlt think I'm nuts but I remember reading an article about five or six years ago in Hello! magazine about these golden poppies - I think QM was on a state visit to an eastern European country. Well, the article mentioned that the flowers were in actual fact illuminated with little lights inside them! I'm happy to contact Hello! to verify the story.

It's, errhhh, it's - well you know, it's not - hmmm, a tiara! It's - errrhhhhh................
Whatever IT is, IT has lights. You can switch IT on. The lights are inside the golden blossoms of IT, that's why IT gleams. No, I'm not joking.
Queen Margrethe wasn't enjoying too much of her husband's wine when she got IT, though. It's just that both she and her husband are true eccentrics with a very unique sense of humor. I have no idea if the joke is on them or on us here, though.

Doh - just saw this posting!

I, uum, don't want to burst your bubble, Jacknch, but ahh, Boris Does have a tendency to uhhh.... be quite witty, shall we say! And he does it with sooo much panache! :cool:

I was, uumm, you know, actually - uum, I don't dare to say it: DEAD serious about the lights!
I meant it when I said 'I am not joking' - from what I have read, there are indeed lights inside of each golden flower. The gleaming of the gold in the pic is not just the reflection of light from the outside, but the small lights inside.
I can't quote my source, but in my case it wasn't 'Hello!'. I wish I could remember where it was, just as much as I wish that I could find another clear pic of our most beloved hair ornament.

Oh Boris. Would that you Could find the source!! The Poppies are Truly "electrified"?? :eek: I asked before about batteries but this is beyond comprehension! Where does one Plug In the poppies?? Put me out of my misery and explain it! :ohmy:

OH DEAR GOD! Just when I thought they couldn't possibly be any worse I find out they are electrified! This simply boggles the mind.

It is a conundrum, to be sure!! Stay tuned.....

damn what on earth is that, her adviser needs to be fired.

Oh Boris. Would that you Could find the source!! The Poppies are Truly "electrified"?? :eek: I asked before about batteries but this is beyond comprehension! Where does one Plug In the poppies?? Put me out of my misery and explain it! :ohmy:

Now that is a question I wouldn´t ask! :lol:

I think we have a new title for this forum:
"Pluggin' in the Poppies"!!! What do you think, Warren?

I think people are underestimating Queen Margrethe's quirky sense of humour and the joke is on those who are taking it far too seriously. :)

I think people are underestimating Queen Margrethe's quirky sense of humour and the joke is on those who are taking it far too seriously. :)

Depsite our collective sense of humour failure on TRF, IMO the poppies are really UGLY!

Well, with Margrethe's artistic abilities I wouldn't be surprised if she was just expressing herself with those things--but I do think that used in moderation (like one or two) that they are successful.

Well, with Margrethe's artistic abilities I wouldn't be surprised if she was just expressing herself with those things--but I do think that used in moderation (like one or two) that they are successful.

I don't have a problm with one or two - they could actually look quite nice, but try as I may, the lot of them together are really not up my street!

I hope QM continues using them as they are quirky and in a strange sort of way they seem to suit her. I only hope it doesn't rain next time she has them on...:frazzled:

That would be terrible Jack, something like the old permanent waves when hair got frazzled but on purpose. ...:frazzled:
It might be safer to wear only one at a time......

My God can there be a sadder lot of people than all of us... spending our time wittering online about a rich Danish woman's hair clips.

Don't misunderstand me... it's fabulous. But really... do we all need therapy?

Or perhaps just some poppy hair clips of our own to keep us happy?!

I think I'll decline the poppy hair clips, James. I can think of lots of things to keep me happy and that isn't one of them! Now as to therapy, that is interesting..... :)

Such silly fun. Wish I did have some questionable poppy hair clips to fuss over. Along with the rest of the royal collection. I would get no work done, I would walk around the house all day changing out my jewels. (I read somewhere that Ari Onassis sisters did just that) Their maids would lay out all there jewels on the bed in the morning and they would choose. My family would all be looking for me, and I would be down in the royal vaults somewhere with a bottle of wine covered in sparkle!!:nonono:

Back
Top Bottom