Jewels for sale: Worthy additions to royal collections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you for posting the emerald tiara/crown Muriel! It would be beautiful addition to anyone’s jewelry. In the future it would be nice if the emeralds could be changed out to other stones to make the tiara/crown more versatile. maybe we will see it in the future!

I think one of the tiaras belonged to the Comtesse de Flandres , given to Queen Marie José . I thought it was sold by Princess Maria Gabriella ?

Thank you for posting the emerald tiara/crown Muriel! It would be beautiful addition to anyone’s jewelry. In the future it would be nice if the emeralds could be changed out to other stones to make the tiara/crown more versatile. maybe we will see it in the future!

Swapping the emeralds for different coloured stones would certainly make the tiara more usable. A recent example in the Palmette tiara worn by Princess Sofia of Sweden. I think she has already worn the tiara with emeralds, pearls, and turquoise in the last few years.

I have always felt that the Dutch collection could do with a better emerald and diamond tiara. Also, the Swedish family is also missing an emerald and diamond tiara in their collection. Whilst not the best emerald taira I have ever seen, this one could potentially be a contender, if it is articulated and can be worn more opened up than worn by the model.

https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6...k&intObjectID=6367668&from=salessummary&lid=1

Of course Sweden had a grand emerald parure, but it is in possession of the Queen of Norway now as a result of Queen Sofia having strangely left the parure to Princess Ingeborg rather than Queen Victoria.

CP Margareta (Margaret of Connaught) wore the Swedish emerald parure (on loan) at King George V's coronation.

Last edited:
Of course Sweden had a grand emerald parure, but it is in possession of the Queen of Norway now as a result of Queen Sofia having strangely left the parure to Princess Ingeborg rather than Queen Victoria.

CP Margareta (Margaret of Connaught) wore the Swedish emerald parure (on loan) at King George V's coronation.

Yes, of course. The Swedish roots of the NRF emerald parure are well known, including the story of the parure being handed over at the train station during the war.

Or for Leonor Princess of Asturias who'll be 18 in 2 years!

I suspect Leonor will end up wearing the Asturias FdL tiara or perhaps the Floral as her tiara in the early years.

No real basis for saying so but I fear the Prussian and the Mellerio Shell / Foam tiara would end up with the sisters of Felipe. Given the history of the SRF, I hope that is not quite the case and the tiaras remain in the main line.

Last edited:
No real basis for saying so but I fear the Prussian and the Foam tiara would end up with the sisters of Felipe. Given the history of the SRF, I hope that is not quite the case and the tiaras remain in the main line.

I'm not so sure about that. I feel like the King will inherit the tiaras as well as any other solid pieces with clear historical connections. Especially since I believe the sisters will inherit their father's money with murky connections.

I suspect Leonor will end up wearing the Asturias FdL tiara or perhaps the Floral as her tiara in the early years.

No real basis for saying so but I fear the Prussian and the Foam tiara would end up with the sisters of Felipe. Given the history of the SRF, I hope that is not quite the case and the tiaras remain in the main line.
Hopefully the Prussian will remain in the main line and queen Sofia doesn't will it elsewhere.

I'm not so sure about that. I feel like the King will inherit the tiaras as well as any other solid pieces with clear historical connections. Especially since I believe the sisters will inherit their father's money with murky connections.

Hopefully the Prussian will remain in the main line and queen Sofia doesn't will it elsewhere.

I, too, hope the Mellerio Shell / Foam and the Prussian tiaras stay in the main line, but they seem to be the only tiaras (barring the Narchios ruby tiara that has only ever been worn by Queen Sofia) that Letizia has not worn since becoming Queen.

I certainly hope the Mellerio Shell and the prussian tiara will stay in the main brach of the spanish RF and can be loaned by Infantas Elena and Cristina and their daughters/daughters-in-laws for Weddings. Elena and Cristina don't attend State Banquets anymore so they would barely have use for them.

I certainly hope the Mellerio Shell and the prussian tiara will stay in the main brach of the spanish RF and can be loaned by Infantas Elena and Cristina and their daughters/daughters-in-laws for Weddings. Elena and Cristina don't attend State Banquets anymore so they would barely have use for them.

Your logic cannot be faulted, and I hope that prevails in the mind of Queen Sofia.

I, too, hope the Mellerio Shell / Foam and the Prussian tiaras stay in the main line, but they seem to be the only tiaras (barring the Narchios ruby tiara that has only ever been worn by Queen Sofia) that Letizia has not worn since becoming Queen.

I think the bigger question is would Letizia even bother to wear the Narchios rubies if they were in her jewel chest and I think not ;)

Hopefully her daughters will make more of an effort on the jewel front over the coming years after the Puritan style of Letizia.

No real basis for saying so but I fear the Prussian and the Mellerio Shell / Foam tiara would end up with the sisters of Felipe. Given the history of the SRF, I hope that is not quite the case and the tiaras remain in the main line.

Infanta Elena kept her Marichalar tiara following her divorce, so I don't think she needs another tiara. Queen Sofia could leave her ruby necklace tiara to Infanta Cristina, but I doubt she will ever attend a tiara event again.

I don't see the Mellerio Shell tiara leaving the main line, but I would be more worried about the recurring rumors that the tiara may be badly damaged and cannot be worn in its current state.

Hopefully some of Infanta Pilar's jewels returned to the main line, especially the Orléans sapphire tiara. I am not sure if King Felipe VI could afford buying it back from his aunt though given his recently published very low personal net worth, and I don't think Infanta Pilar would simply leave it on her will to the King (in which case he would also have to pay inheritance taxes probably?).

Last edited:
Infanta Elena kept her Marichalar tiara following her divorce, so I don't think she needs another tiara. Queen Sofia could leave her ruby necklace tiara to Infanta Cristina, but I doubt she will ever attend a tiara event again.

Both Infanta's Elena and Cristina are unlikely to attend many tiara events, and if required, can always be lent tiaras by the Queen at the time.

Hopefully some of Infanta Pilar's jewels returned to the main line, especially the Orléans sapphire tiara. I am not sure if King Felipe VI could afford buying it back from his aunt though given his recently published very low personal net worth, and I don't think Infanta Pilar would simply leave it on her will to the King (in which case he would also have to pay inheritance taxes probably?).

Whilst Felipe may not have a very big personal net worth, J-C still has plenty of money. He may well have concluded a deal with his sisters to acquire some of their historically relevant jewellery in exchange for a payment, which J-C can then leave to Felipe or Leonor, or to a family trust. I do not think this will need to be disclosed.

I think the bigger question is would Letizia even bother to wear the Narchios rubies if they were in her jewel chest and I think not ;)

I think the neckalce could work quite well for Letizia.

Ture. but the she is the Queen of no-necklace as she rarely wears one and if then it is a simple diamond or pearl riviere.

Infanta Elena kept her Marichalar tiara following her divorce, so I don't think she needs another tiara.

It has in the last years also be worn b some of her former husbands nieces. i'm also not sure if she own it's or she simple was given the use of it and in belongs to her brother-in-law de Conde de Ripalda.

It would a waste and left to gather dust like all the others,hopefully Sofia will pass them on to some more appreciative?

Ture. but the she is the Queen of no-necklace as she rarely wears one and if then it is a simple diamond or pearl riviere.

I think fashion over the last 5-6 years has meant that necklines were quite high, which did not always lend themselves to wearing necklaces. Also, she does not have many complete parures, complete with necklaces barring the JdP collet necklace(s).

I think fashion over the last 5-6 years has meant that necklines were quite high, which did not always lend themselves to wearing necklaces. Also, she does not have many complete parures, complete with necklaces barring the JdP collet necklace(s).

That's true but Queen Sofia has a lot of demi Parures and necklaces which she used to pair with the tiaras. And as Queen Letizia has often spotted with earrings from this Sets i think they must be available for her to use when wanted.

That's true but Queen Sofia has a lot of demi Parures and necklaces which she used to pair with the tiaras. And as Queen Letizia has often spotted with earrings from this Sets i think they must be available for her to use when wanted.

Fair point!

Last edited:
Not a hope in hell given the price tag ,the Belgian RF are not that rich.

Not to mention the sheer ugliness of that "belle époque" design, brrrr. Plus they already have emerald jewels (in the Spanish Wedding Gift Diadem).

Not to mention the sheer ugliness of that "belle époque" design, brrrr. Plus they already have emerald jewels (in the Spanish Wedding Gift Diadem).

The ownership of those jewels is still rather unclear almost 8 years after the death of the queen dowager.

Back
Top Bottom