Jewels for sale: Worthy additions to royal collections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree Sofia will attend State banquets .

I wonder if Infanta Pilar's sapphire tiara will be bought back if its put up for sale?

If the King want's to buy it back or if it is offered to him i would rather expect a private sale then for him to buy it at an auction.

If the King want's to buy it back or if it is offered to him i would rather expect a private sale then for him to buy it at an auction.
As his father did too ,it would make a wonderful starter tiara for Leonor or Sofia.

As his father did too ,it would make a wonderful starter tiara for Leonor or Sofia.
Actually it is not so small. And it would be nice to have a tiara with colored stones as they have so many diamond and diamond and pearl tiaras.

I excpect her to attend most State Banquets once she has finished her Studies and the same for her sister.

I guess you are right that the Princess of Asturias will attend state banquets when she is of age, as it is part of her training.

I am not sure Infanta Sofia will. Infantas Cristina and Elena did attend state banquets before they were married, but Felipe VI might favor a more slimmed-down monarchy. Sofia might attend when there is a visiting monarch, but I don't expect to see her at all state banquets.

Do you think Queen Sofia will leave her ruby necklace tiara to Felipe, or will she set it aside for one of her daughters? If Letizia inherits it, her daughters might also have an additional colored stone option.

I wonder if Infanta Pilar's sapphire tiara will be bought back if its put up for sale?

I do hope Pilar's tiara makes it back to the main line.

Do you think Queen Sofia will leave her ruby necklace tiara to Felipe, or will she set it aside for one of her daughters? If Letizia inherits it, her daughters might also have an additional colored stone option.

It is difficult to tell what Sofia chooses to do with her personal jewellery. I hope the rubies stay in the main line, and at some stage, Letizia or Leonor end up re-working the tiara.

It is difficult to tell what Sofia chooses to do with her personal jewellery. I hope the rubies stay in the main line, and at some stage, Letizia or Leonor end up re-working the tiara.
I'd rather see that Sofia leaves the modern jewels to her daughters while leaving the historic pieces to her son or granddaughter. Another solution would be if she added them to the joyas to prevent them from leaving the family in the future.
Do we know if the historic Spanish jewels that are not joyas belong to Sofia or Juan Carlos?

Last edited:
I'd rather see that Sofia leaves the modern jewels to her daughters while leaving the historic pieces to her son or granddaughter.

Fair point.

Another solution would be if she added them to the joyas to prevent them from leaving the family in the future.

Given the ups and downs the SRF have had to endure over the last century, I hope the jewels are just left to the monarch of the day, to use as they please. AS long as the monarchy survives, one hopes the jewels will remain with the monarch of the day. If the monarchy were to end, the former monarch will have the ability to sell the jewels, if required.

It would be a shame leaving her important jewels to Letizia to gather dust and hopefully they will be left to Leonor or Sofia to wear with pride.

It would be a shame leaving her important jewels to Letizia to gather dust and hopefully they will be left to Leonor or Sofia to wear with pride.

Some food for thought. Letizia has at least 2 more pairs of serious ruby and diamond earrings, one of which was worn to Willem-Alexander's 50th. I presume those sets of earrings are part of demi-parures, and the necklaces have just not been seen in public yet. If this is indeed true, might there be a case for Letizia or Leonor to rework Sofia's ruby and diamond parure into a serious ruby and diamond tiara?

I do hope Pilar's tiara makes it back to the main line.
It would a wonderful addition and to see it being worn again as its believed to have come from Louise of Orléans the maternal grandmother of King Juan Carlos.

This conversation appears to have veered towards potential changes and additions to the Spanish royal jewels. Could the mods please move the relevant parts of this conversation to the thread entitled Spanish Royal Jewels: Suggested Changes and Additions

Yes a very nice parure indeed. Princess Benedikte of Denmark has a beautiful Amethyst necklace as does MT of Luxembourg. Qu Elizabeth's oldest set of jewels is a demi parure of Amethysts which belonged to Queen Victoria's mother - Victoire The Duchess of Kent. Sadly the Queen only wears the brooch on occasion, which always looks nice. She has worn the necklace once or twice, but not for many decades now.
So belonging to the Duchess of Kent makes that set around 1820's to 1830's.

Really beautiful could see them being worn by Mary and Mathilde but less so by Letizia.

I agree with you, both Mathilde ad Mary are the natural choices. I added Letizia primarily because her collection of jewels lacks complete parures, and could do with a bit of colour.

I agree with you, both Mathilde ad Mary are the natural choices. I added Letizia primarily because her collection of jewels lacks complete parures, and could do with a bit of colour.

That's very true but even if they were in Letizia's possession I doubt she'd wear the full set other than the earrings/tiara.

https://www.thecourtjeweller.com/2021/06/antique-amethysts-headed-for-the-auction-block.html

This amethyst parure could be a worthy addition to quite a lot of jewel collections, including that of Mathilde, Mary or even Maxima and Letizia.

If it were amethysts set in white gold, platinum and with diamonds (like in Sweden): yes. But amethysts set in yellow gold looks really out of place in 2021 and for me it feels very much connected to oldfashioned Empire or Regency style. I am not sure a golden parure with amethysts works for present-day royal ladies.

Last edited:
Never a Royal wil buy at an Auction , and if they buy it is before.
I am sure they were no bids for Princess Mary necklace/tiara at Bruun Rasmusssen Auction House.

Back
Top Bottom