The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #101  
Old 10-27-2020, 03:13 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,134
1) A collet necklace of the type that I think MAthilde "needs":

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...e-19th-century

2) Lovely diamond necklace in old style diamonds, that could be a worthy addition to the jewel collection of either Mathilde or Mary

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...e-19th-century
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 10-27-2020, 03:35 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 22,597
Lovely pieces, muriel.
Do these items usually sell several times the estimated value? 20.000 Swiss Francs for the collet necklace seems a joke almost. It would make a nice tiara too.
__________________

__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 10-27-2020, 03:48 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Lovely pieces, muriel.
Do these items usually sell several times the estimated value? 20.000 Swiss Francs for the collet necklace seems a joke almost. It would make a nice tiara too.
It is CHF 200,000 and not 20,000!

I thought the guide prices on this auction were quite high compared to other ones I have seen. I am sure if one worked with old jewellers, a good collet necklace can be had for around US$ 100,000.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 10-27-2020, 03:59 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 19,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
But then "by descent". Does that imply it is still in the family ?
No, the brooch was no longer in the family's possession, it had been auctioned before "Sotheby’s New York, 12-13 April 1999, lot 163."
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 10-27-2020, 06:45 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 29,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
1) A collet necklace of the type that I think MAthilde "needs":

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...e-19th-century

2) Lovely diamond necklace in old style diamonds, that could be a worthy addition to the jewel collection of either Mathilde or Mary

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...e-19th-century
The diamond collet necklace is very lovely ,would be a nice addition to the Belgian empty chest.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 10-27-2020, 08:29 AM
Marengo's Avatar
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 22,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
It is CHF 200,000 and not 20,000!

I thought the guide prices on this auction were quite high compared to other ones I have seen. I am sure if one worked with old jewellers, a good collet necklace can be had for around US$ 100,000.
Sorry, I meant the other one, with the woven design. 18.000 Euros rather accessible. Let's hope King Philippe will buy some new items now his daughter will need something to wear too.
__________________
TRF Rules and FAQ
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 10-27-2020, 09:03 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Sorry, I meant the other one, with the woven design. 18.000 Euros rather accessible. Let's hope King Philippe will buy some new items now his daughter will need something to wear too.
Yes, I agree, the pricing on the other one is not unreasonable.

My guess is that these old cut diamonds do not sparkle very much, and tend not to be very popular these days, hence depressing their prices.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 10-28-2020, 01:23 AM
Lady Daly's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sherwood, United States
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
No, the brooch was no longer in the family's possession, it had been auctioned before "Sotheby’s New York, 12-13 April 1999, lot 163."
I saw that as well which led me to believe that Sotheby's had acquired the brooch in 1999 as it had the same lot number as the current Geneva lot number. It's possible the brooch never sold or was anticipated for private sale but never left Sotheby's possession. I'm not sure we can assume it was actually sold and made it's way back to Sotheby's again. I believe they would have to reveal the most recent owner. Beautiful brooch nonetheless with an amazing history.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 10-28-2020, 02:30 AM
CyrilVladisla's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Conneaut, United States
Posts: 6,678
Belle Epoque Tiara-shaped Ruby Diamond Ring
Belle Epoque Antique Tiara-Shaped Ruby Diamond Ring : Romanov Russia Ltd | Ruby Lane
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 10-29-2020, 05:27 AM
W.Y.CII's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: 。, Hong Kong
Posts: 876
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26567/lot/14/
A PASTE AND DIAMOND GARLAND TIARA
£ 10,000 - 15,000

Even though it contains paste stone (hence the price is relatively a lot lower), its design is lovely and delicate.
__________________
Bad money drives out good.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 10-29-2020, 05:49 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 29,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26567/lot/14/
A PASTE AND DIAMOND GARLAND TIARA
£ 10,000 - 15,000

Even though it contains paste stone (hence the price is relatively a lot lower), its design is lovely and delicate.
A really beautiful tiara none the less and would look wonderful on queen Mathilde or her daughter the duchess of Brabant.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 10-29-2020, 07:25 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/26567/lot/14/
A PASTE AND DIAMOND GARLAND TIARA
£ 10,000 - 15,000

Even though it contains paste stone (hence the price is relatively a lot lower), its design is lovely and delicate.
Lovely tiara!
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 11-28-2020, 03:39 PM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,134
Another potential addition to the tiara / necklace collection of Mathilde or Mary

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...ara-circa-1880
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 11-28-2020, 04:02 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 29,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Another potential addition to the tiara / necklace collection of Mathilde or Mary

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...ara-circa-1880
Beautiful floral design yes I can see it on Mathilde or Mary but sadly not Letizia of Spain.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 11-28-2020, 09:22 PM
Benjamin's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 1,900
The Radziwill Tiara, worn by Princess Eugenie of Greece and Denmark at her 1938 marriage to Prince Dominick Radziwill, will be sold on 7 December in Chicago.

https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot....y-worn-by.html
__________________
Sii forte.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 11-28-2020, 11:13 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
The Radziwill Tiara, worn by Princess Eugenie of Greece and Denmark at her 1938 marriage to Prince Dominick Radziwill, will be sold on 7 December in Chicago.

https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot....y-worn-by.html
May be historical but not the most attractive tiara I must say.

The main diamonds on the piece aren't real diamonds any more, they are paste (the larger ones). The original diamonds were removed by the previous owner.
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 11-29-2020, 12:40 AM
W.Y.CII's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: 。, Hong Kong
Posts: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Another potential addition to the tiara / necklace collection of Mathilde or Mary

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auct...ara-circa-1880
Want to see it in tiara form, probably will be a pretty nice tiara.
__________________
Bad money drives out good.
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 11-29-2020, 06:55 AM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
The Radziwill Tiara, worn by Princess Eugenie of Greece and Denmark at her 1938 marriage to Prince Dominick Radziwill, will be sold on 7 December in Chicago.

https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot....y-worn-by.html
The description makes me want to find more about the couple. I know Queen Sofia of Spain is good friends with a Radziwill, my guess is that they are related through this marriage. Also want to look into the Habsurg connection.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 11-29-2020, 06:59 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
The description makes me want to find more about the couple. I know Queen Sofia of Spain is good friends with a Radziwill, my guess is that they are related through this marriage. Also want to look into the Habsurg connection.
The Radziwill that you allude too is Tatiana Radziwill who married Jean Henri Fruchaud. She was a bridesmaid at Sofia and Juan Carlos' wedding and is widely believed to be one of Sofia's best friends together with Sofia's sister Irene.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 11-29-2020, 09:39 AM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 29,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The Radziwill that you allude too is Tatiana Radziwill who married Jean Henri Fruchaud. She was a bridesmaid at Sofia and Juan Carlos' wedding and is widely believed to be one of Sofia's best friends together with Sofia's sister Irene.
Princess Tatiana Radziwill is also queen Sofia's cousin and yes very close to both Sofia and Irene.

The Radziwill Tiara may not be my favourite but sad to see it being sold off.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mary: crown princess of denmark, maxima, queen mathilde, royal jewels


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spanish Royal Jewels: Suggested changes and additions muriel Royal Jewels General Discussion 50 06-20-2020 02:04 AM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi american american history anastasia anastasia once upon a time ancestry baby names baptism british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing cpr customs dresses duke of sussex earl of snowdon family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs imperial household interesting jacobite japan jewellery jewelry kids movie king edward vii list of rulers luxembourg maxima meghan markle monarchy nepal nepalese royal family pless princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn walailak princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal balls royal events royal family royal jewels royalty royalty of taiwan royal wedding russian court dress spain sussex swedish queen thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america wedding gown welsh wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×