Jewels for sale: Worthy additions to royal collections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Want to see it in tiara form, probably will be a pretty nice tiara.

Yes, that was my thought. It would be a nice tiara, and works well as a necklace as well.

Dear Muriel what a good thread. I love the sapphire bracelet for Mary, but she does not have any sapphire jewels yet. Mostly rubies. So I guess we have to keep a look out for some nice sapphires to go with it.
The biggest problem for the royal men these days at auction, is bidding against Russian Oligarchs, the new Chinese rich, and of course wealthy Arabs. All these people inflate prices at auction these days. But if we ignore all that and just concentrate on the pieces for various royals there is nothing wrong with that we can always dream.

Why don't they buy back jewelry from collateral branches of the family before it goes on auction? For example, King Felipe could offer to buy the late Infanta Pilar's sapphire tiara, which would be a great addition to Queen Letizia's collection.

In today’s world there are not that many functions where the Royals wear tiaras or crowns, even jewelry. IMO I think the current Royals just don’t see the need to buy more pieces when they don’t wear what they have. It is a shame though that some history is leaving the family.
Then there would be remarks from the public why are they Royals spending all this money on jewelry, even if is a heirloom, when they don’t wear what they own. The Monday can be used better else where. The money could be private or public money, but the public will not care they just see the money spent in better ways, the just buying it to sit in a drawer.
A no win situation for many

In today’s world there are not that many functions where the Royals wear tiaras or crowns, even jewelry. IMO I think the current Royals just don’t see the need to buy more pieces when they don’t wear what they have. It is a shame though that some history is leaving the family.
Then there would be remarks from the public why are they Royals spending all this money on jewelry, even if is a heirloom, when they don’t wear what they own. The Monday can be used better else where. The money could be private or public money, but the public will not care they just see the money spent in better ways, the just buying it to sit in a drawer.
A no win situation for many

We don't know yet what the post-Covid world will look like (certain things may never go back to the "old normal") , but, between state visits, official receptions and birthdays or jubilees, most royal houses in Europe still had on average between two and four tiara events per year. There are also a few additional black-tie events which are not tiara functions, but require "grand" jewelry like major necklaces. And "small" jewelry like brooches and earrings are routinely worn in ordinary public engagements. So, in conclusion, there is still need for a sizeable jewel collection, though not quite as big as in the past.

Last edited:
Why don't they buy back jewelry from collateral branches of the family before it goes on auction? For example, King Felipe could offer to buy the late Infanta Pilar's sapphire tiara, which would be a great addition to Queen Letizia's collection.

In certain situations, jewellery is bought back from collateral branches. Juan Carlos acquired both the larger pearl and diamond tiaras back. Similarly, Felipe may well have made arrangements to buy back Pilar's sapphire and diamond parure, though it may be some time before we see it used.

That said, I think the reason these repurchases are rare as these jewels can secure very high prices when sold at auction, often indicative of the historic value and royal heritage of these jewels that outsider are willing to pay for. The main line of many royal families may not be willing to pay those prices.

In the case of Denmark, I so do hope the sappire and diamond tiara of Princess Elisabeth returns to the main line, though it is difficult to tell at the moment. Similarly, one would hope that some, if not all, the royal jewellery that the sisters of King Harald in Norway have / had does return to the main line.

Similarly, one would hope that some, if not all, the royal jewellery that the sisters of King Harald in Norway have / had does return to the main line.
According to what Princess Astrid said a few years ago there is a deal in place that several of the most historically important pieces would be returned to the Royal vault when the two sisters died.

According to what Princess Astrid said a few years ago there is a deal in place that several of the most historically important pieces would be returned to the Royal vault when the two sisters died.

Its a sensible arrangement as the children of both of the kings sister will have no use for tiaras or historical pieces.

The description makes me want to find more about the couple. I know Queen Sofia of Spain is good friends with a Radziwill, my guess is that they are related through this marriage. Also want to look into the Habsurg connection.

The couple had two children, Princess Tatiana and Prince Jerzy. Tatiana is the Radziwill you are thinking of. She was a bridesmaid for Sofia. Tatiana's mother Eugenie and Sofia's father Paul were first cousins (both grandchildren of George I of Greece).

As for the Hapsburg connection, it would be through Archduchess Renata of Austria. Renata was a member of the House of Hapsburg-Lorraine. She likely brought the tiara into the Radzwill family when she married Dominik's father. Tatiana is also related distantly to Juan Carlos. Renata's Aunt Maria Christina was married to Alfonso XII of Spain.

Princess Tatiana Radziwill is also queen Sofia's cousin and yes very close to both Sofia and Irene.

The Radziwill Tiara may not be my favourite but sad to see it being sold off.

Its already been butchered anyways. Most of the actual stones were taken from the tiara before it was sold. Its mainly costume jewels now.

Its a sensible arrangement as the children of both of the kings sister will have no use for tiaras or historical pieces.

The proposed arrangement makes sense, one just hopes that it is indeed true. It is many years since Ragnahild passed, but her jewels have not yet been seen on the ladies of the NRF. Perhaps they are waiting for the next reign, or the reign of Ingrid.

The proposed arrangement makes sense, one just hopes that it is indeed true. It is many years since Ragnahild passed, but her jewels have not yet been seen on the ladies of the NRF. Perhaps they are waiting for the next reign, or the reign of Ingrid.

Probably the want to let some time pass. And then Queen Sonja has her favourite tiara's which she wear's regulary and the Crown Princess also has her favourite bandeau and it could also be that because of her illness she doen't want to wear a big tiara like Queen Maud's diamond tiara.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auc...oucheron-silver-topped-gold-natural-pearl-and

Silver-Topped Gold, Natural Pearl and Diamond Necklace and Pair of Earclips
Estimate: 250,000 - 350,000 USD

That one is gorgeous and delicate, though I don't think any rf will purchase something that substantial. The earrings will be a nice addition.
(BTW it looks familiar to me, did it belong to royals before?)

Practical reason, the family can earn more by putting it up for auction. I think the main line can offer to purchase back important jewelries, but I doubt the other branches would accept the offer with less profit (let's be honest most of them sell it because they want money).

I don't worry about Astrid's jewelries. She already returned the badge/bracelet of Order of V&A from Maud by giving it to Ingrid Alexandra as confirmation gift. She acknowledges the importance of the family heirloom and is willing to pass the important pieces back to the main line in future. For Ragnhild's jewelries, IIRC, the diamond one from Maud had already gone back to the King after Ragnhild's death. I hope you're right, they are just waiting for suitable timing (hopefully it will debut on Ingrid Alexandra in her 18th birthday) (but nice new pieces are always welcome:D).

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auc...oucheron-silver-topped-gold-natural-pearl-and

That one is gorgeous and delicate, though I don't think any rf will purchase something that substantial. The earrings will be a nice addition.

Lovely demi-parure. Perhaps this is one for Maxima. The Dutch do not have a pearl and diamond necklace of any substantial standing (discounting the perl setting of the trellis necklace). The necklace will also pair well with the large Wurttemberg pearl and diamond tiara.

Probably the want to let some time pass. And then Queen Sonja has her favourite tiara's which she wear's regulary and the Crown Princess also has her favourite bandeau and it could also be that because of her illness she doen't want to wear a big tiara like Queen Maud's diamond tiara.

You are right, the Queen certainly has her chosen jewellery combinations and so perhaps, it is the next reign that may see the use of Ragnahild's tiaras again, either on M-M or Ingrid.

The NRF has more than enough jewels for their needs IMHO and, unlke in neighboring Denmark, the items they have at their disposal are bigger guns. It would be nice with Harald's sisters' jewelry went back to the main line, but, if it doesn't, it is not such a big deal for them.

The NRF has more than enough jewels for their needs IMHO and, unlke in neighboring Denmark, the items they have at their disposal are bigger guns.

Note your comment re the lack of "big guns" in the Danish jewel boxes, it would be great if, unlikely as it may be, the DRF can buy back the Khedeive tiara from Anne-Marie.

Simply stunning and I'm thinking that the necklace would look even more stunning if converted into a tiara?

It can be converted into a tiara! In the second picture (a scanned copy of document) there is a small photo of its tiara form. And yes it's indeed stunning:flowers:.

I think it would be a nice addition for Sweden actually. The Swedish needs a nice tiara as well as a nice pearl necklace.

I think queen Letizia could do it justice as a tiara ,would be a nice addition to the Spanish jewel chest.

I think queen Letizia could do it justice as a tiara ,would be a nice addition to the Spanish jewel chest.

Which one are you referring to?

I found out why it looks familiar to me, there was a tiara with similar design in the Spanish royal family.

https://royal-magazin.de/spain/infanta-eulalia/diadema-infanta-eulalia.htm

Stunning tiara its fate was never uncovered and probably stolen and broken up during the Spanish Civil war :previous:

Back
Top Bottom