Jewels for sale: Worthy additions to royal collections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I once read that the Sapphire tiara came from Princess Louise of Orléans not sure how true that was.

Yes, that information is confirmed by this site .

Infanta Pilar's family seems to wear this tiara regularly though. Two of her daughters-in-law wore it on their respective wedding days and her sister also wore it in the past. I don't see it going back to the main line unless Pilar's children need to sell it and Felipe offers to buy it.

Yes, that information is confirmed by this site .

Infanta Pilar's family seems to wear this tiara regularly though. Two of her daughters-in-law wore it on their respective wedding days and her sister also wore it in the past. I don't see it going back to the main line unless Pilar's children need to sell it and Felipe offers to buy it.
Infanta Pilar was somtimes present at State Dinner's. I believe the last time in 2006 at the State Visit from Portugfal but then she woe anotehr tiara. But her children wont be invited for those and the only occasions where tiaras are worn nowadays in Spain are Weddings. And as there are 5 children there is perhaps also the question which of them gets the tiara.

Infanta Pilar was somtimes present at State Dinner's. I believe the last time in 2006 at the State Visit from Portugfal but then she woe anotehr tiara. But her children wont be invited for those and the only occasions where tiaras are worn nowadays in Spain are Weddings. And as there are 5 children there is perhaps also the question which of them gets the tiara.

Indeed. Pilar's children and grand children seem pretty far away from tiara wearing events, so it is entirely possible they may seek to dispose off the parure.

Hopefully we will see the sapphire tiara of Princess Louise of Orléans back in the main family jewel chest if its put up for sale or sold privately.

HTML:
I could see where he might not...
I once mistook a blue diamond for a sapphire.
And diamonds come in so many colors. Someone who isn't an expert might easily take a red diamond for a ruby.
Yes, I agree. Plus in his position he has more important things to worry about. He has experts that are paid to advise him of that type of information. JMO

But then "by descent". Does that imply it is still in the family ?

"Formerly in the Collection of Queen Victoria Eugenie of Spain (1887-1969)
Then by descent"

My impression as well, Mbruno. After the death of Ena the brooch was inherited and stayed in the family until now. A legal interpretation of descent:
"Hereditary succession. Succession to the ownership of an estate by inheritance, or by any act of law, as distinguished from purchase. Title by descent is the title by which one person, upon the death of another, acquires the real estate of the latter as an heir at law. The title by inheritance is in all cases called descent, although by statute law the title is sometimes made to ascend. The division among those legally entitled thereto of the real property of intestates."

Deleted post.

Last edited:
Lovely pieces, muriel.
Do these items usually sell several times the estimated value? 20.000 Swiss Francs for the collet necklace seems a joke almost. It would make a nice tiara too.

Last edited:
Lovely pieces, muriel.
Do these items usually sell several times the estimated value? 20.000 Swiss Francs for the collet necklace seems a joke almost. It would make a nice tiara too.

It is CHF 200,000 and not 20,000!

I thought the guide prices on this auction were quite high compared to other ones I have seen. I am sure if one worked with old jewellers, a good collet necklace can be had for around US$ 100,000.

But then "by descent". Does that imply it is still in the family ?

No, the brooch was no longer in the family's possession, it had been auctioned before "Sotheby’s New York, 12-13 April 1999, lot 163."

It is CHF 200,000 and not 20,000!

I thought the guide prices on this auction were quite high compared to other ones I have seen. I am sure if one worked with old jewellers, a good collet necklace can be had for around US$ 100,000.

Sorry, I meant the other one, with the woven design. 18.000 Euros rather accessible. Let's hope King Philippe will buy some new items now his daughter will need something to wear too.

Sorry, I meant the other one, with the woven design. 18.000 Euros rather accessible. Let's hope King Philippe will buy some new items now his daughter will need something to wear too.

Yes, I agree, the pricing on the other one is not unreasonable.

My guess is that these old cut diamonds do not sparkle very much, and tend not to be very popular these days, hence depressing their prices.

No, the brooch was no longer in the family's possession, it had been auctioned before "Sotheby’s New York, 12-13 April 1999, lot 163."

I saw that as well which led me to believe that Sotheby's had acquired the brooch in 1999 as it had the same lot number as the current Geneva lot number. It's possible the brooch never sold or was anticipated for private sale but never left Sotheby's possession. I'm not sure we can assume it was actually sold and made it's way back to Sotheby's again. I believe they would have to reveal the most recent owner. Beautiful brooch nonetheless with an amazing history.

The Radziwill Tiara, worn by Princess Eugenie of Greece and Denmark at her 1938 marriage to Prince Dominick Radziwill, will be sold on 7 December in Chicago.

https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot.com/2020/11/the-radziwill-tiara-formerly-worn-by.html

May be historical but not the most attractive tiara I must say. :ermm:

The main diamonds on the piece aren't real diamonds any more, they are paste (the larger ones). The original diamonds were removed by the previous owner.

Last edited:
The Radziwill Tiara, worn by Princess Eugenie of Greece and Denmark at her 1938 marriage to Prince Dominick Radziwill, will be sold on 7 December in Chicago.

https://eurohistoryjournal.blogspot.com/2020/11/the-radziwill-tiara-formerly-worn-by.html
The description makes me want to find more about the couple. I know Queen Sofia of Spain is good friends with a Radziwill, my guess is that they are related through this marriage. Also want to look into the Habsurg connection.

The description makes me want to find more about the couple. I know Queen Sofia of Spain is good friends with a Radziwill, my guess is that they are related through this marriage. Also want to look into the Habsurg connection.
The Radziwill that you allude too is Tatiana Radziwill who married Jean Henri Fruchaud. She was a bridesmaid at Sofia and Juan Carlos' wedding and is widely believed to be one of Sofia's best friends together with Sofia's sister Irene.

The Radziwill that you allude too is Tatiana Radziwill who married Jean Henri Fruchaud. She was a bridesmaid at Sofia and Juan Carlos' wedding and is widely believed to be one of Sofia's best friends together with Sofia's sister Irene.

Princess Tatiana Radziwill is also queen Sofia's cousin and yes very close to both Sofia and Irene.

The Radziwill Tiara may not be my favourite but sad to see it being sold off.

Back
Top Bottom