Jewels for sale: Worthy additions to royal collections

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe so but they will have Queen next who might be interested in new acquisitions and enjoy Fine jewelry. Stranger things have happened :)

I suppose some Princes who grow up around spectacular glittering jewels and fine art become immune to it in a way. Though some learn an appreciation for the finer things in life.
And this thread gives me an excuse to vent my feelings and frustrations at dear Prince William on the occasion of his engagement! Yes it was nine or ten years ago. Maybe I hold a grudge.
He said, " I am reliably informed that it is a sapphire! " (When speaking about the ring).

Well!! I can reliably inform you all that I was Extremely Irked! by his comment. Here is a young man surrounded by the finer things in life. He grew up with his mother The Princess of Wales wearing that ring. Of course he should know the difference between a sapphire, ruby, and emerald. It has been said that William is in no way romantic, and I get that. I get that some men have no interest in certain things. I really do understand that!
But this young man, will one day be custodian of a great many historical jewels, and a collection envied by many.

So I sincerely hope that over time Prince William will know when he is looking at a priceless ruby or emerald he at least will know the difference.

It is 6 am here so I better go and have some coffee.

Yes, the Belgian royal family and the Danish royal family each needs to add to the family's jewellery collection and they are wrong to not do so.

Yes, the Belgian royal family and the Danish royal family each needs to add to the family's jewellery collection and they are wrong to not do so.

Royal families don't really need as many grand jewels today as there are not as many occasions to wear them as in the past.

Having said that, the Belgians in particular are dangerously close to the bare minimum for ceremonial functions, even by today's standards, and should definitely add new items to their collection. I wonder if King Philippe either lacks the necessary funds or feels it is politically inconvenient for the Royal Family to spend their dotation on jewelry.

Last edited:
Both are lovely tiara's, and would make very worthwhile additions to the jewel boxes of either Mary or Mathilde. Of the two, my own preference is for the entremblant floral one.

That's my favorite too, plus it converts into brooches.

I suppose some Princes who grow up around spectacular glittering jewels and fine art become immune to it in a way. Though some learn an appreciation for the finer things in life.
And this thread gives me an excuse to vent my feelings and frustrations at dear Prince William on the occasion of his engagement! Yes it was nine or ten years ago. Maybe I hold a grudge.
He said, " I am reliably informed that it is a sapphire! " (When speaking about the ring).

Well!! I can reliably inform you all that I was Extremely Irked! by his comment. Here is a young man surrounded by the finer things in life. He grew up with his mother The Princess of Wales wearing that ring. Of course he should know the difference between a sapphire, ruby, and emerald. It has been said that William is in no way romantic, and I get that. I get that some men have no interest in certain things. I really do understand that!
But this young man, will one day be custodian of a great many historical jewels, and a collection envied by many.

So I sincerely hope that over time Prince William will know when he is looking at a priceless ruby or emerald he at least will know the difference.

It is 6 am here so I better go and have some coffee.

IMO, Wiliam does not need to know too much about jewellery if it does not interest him. However, I think Catherine will be a good caretaker of the jewels, and in time, will use a fair few of the jewels she will have at her disposal.

Princess Mary bought a tiara at Bruun and Rasmussen Auction House , where I am Customer too They were certainly no bids !
Nobody paid 2.000.000 DK for the late Countess Anne Dorte tiara. Its owner is Danish.

Mette Marit will have Queen Sonja Parures.

Queen Mathilde could have had the Cartier tiara sold by Princess Lilian, and the Leuchtenberg tiars which owner was the Count of Flanders. Instead to give it to the main Branch, he gave the tiara to his Sister Queen Marie Josée, whose Daughter Princess Maria Gabriela sold it!

Well!! I can reliably inform you all that I was Extremely Irked! by his comment. Here is a young man surrounded by the finer things in life. He grew up with his mother The Princess of Wales wearing that ring. Of course he should know the difference between a sapphire, ruby, and emerald.

I could see where he might not...
I once mistook a blue diamond for a sapphire.
And diamonds come in so many colors. Someone who isn't an expert might easily take a red diamond for a ruby.

I could see where he might not...
I once mistook a blue diamond for a sapphire.
And diamonds come in so many colors. Someone who isn't an expert might easily take a red diamond for a ruby.

I suspect (dont know the context of what he said) that he was being a bit sarcastic, as in " as a mere male I dont know much about jewellery but Im reliable infformed that this ring is a sapphire...."

Why are they wrong? Jewels are a symbolic part of royal life,.. but they dont need thousands of them. A crown or tiara, a few rings and a necklace or 2. THey dont do so many "glitering " social events now and I think most royal families have a lot of stuff that just is in a vault all the time... which is rather a waste....

I think the Danish RF boast a very good a jewel chest and have far more at their disposal than the Belgian RF who have the bear minimum.

I suspect (dont know the context of what he said) that he was being a bit sarcastic, as in " as a mere male I dont know much about jewellery but Im reliable infformed that this ring is a sapphire...."

I am with you in that it could just be a tongue-in-cheek comment.

I am with you in that it could just be a tongue-in-cheek comment.
I expect so. I'd have to hear or read the full remarks.. but I suspect he's NOT into jewels, doesn't at present take that much notice of the royal ones. (There are so many) and gave K the ring because it was his mother's ring.. as he siad and not because he loves sapphires... He probably only knows its a sapphire because it was her ring.. I doubt if he meant to make any kind of "mean" comment, since it is a memento to him of Diana.

I thought him to be sarcastic too.

Queen Ena's sapphire is brooch up for auction in November. She wore it to Felipe's baptism. Unfortunately, the SRF may not be in the financial shape to purchase it. Definitely would be the wrong move politically.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGvB3WpFiv7/

Queen Ena's sapphire is brooch up for auction in November. She wore it to Felipe's baptism. Unfortunately, the SRF may not be in the financial shape to purchase it. Definitely would be the wrong move politically.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGvB3WpFiv7/

Who is selling it? It looks like the brooch left the family while the Queen was still in exile.

JC bought back several family jewels, which greatly expanded Queen Sofia's chest. I don't see a major political problem if Felipe bought this brooch, which he can probably afford, but I agree he won't do it under the current circumstances.

Last edited:
Does it mention who's selling it?

I can't see the king buying it given the economic climate and besides queen Letizia rarely wears any jewels.

I just do not think royal families, unless it is for certain specific items, care too much about restoring jewels that have left the main line. They know that just by using any jewels they can add provenance, so do not feel the need to "pay for provenance" that non-royal buyers may be willing to do so.

In my opinion, they are especially not keen to acquire from a very public auction scenario. I think they are better off buying privately, ideally from aa non-mail line member of the family. In the case of the Spaniards, I would not be surprised if F&L end up buying items of jewellery from the children of the Infanta's Pilar and Margareta.

Perhaps the brooch belonged to Infanta Pilar,the kings late aunt did have some historic pieces in her jewel chest.

Perhaps the brooch belonged to Infanta Pilar,the kings late aunt did have some historic pieces in her jewel chest.

Pilar had a wonderful diamond and sapphire parure, along with some emeralds. Would love to see them return to the main line at some stage.

Pilar had a wonderful diamond and sapphire parure, along with some emeralds. Would love to see them return to the main line at some stage.
Her sapphire tiara would be a wonderful starter tiara for Leonor or Sofia,I doubt her daughter will ever wear it.

Her sapphire tiara would be a wonderful starter tiara for Leonor or Sofia,I doubt her daughter will ever wear it.

I think that Pilar's tiara was a lot more than a starter tiara, and Letizia could do it justice.

I think that Pilar's tiara was a lot more than a starter tiara, and Letizia could do it justice.

And a tiara with coloured stones would be a great addition as they have only diamond tiara's and diamond and pearl tiara's (I'm nout counting the ruby bandeau as this is not really a tiara specialy in it's present form)

And a tiara with coloured stones would be a great addition as they have only diamond tiara's and diamond and pearl tiara's (I'm nout counting the ruby bandeau as this is not really a tiara specialy in it's present form)

On top of that, I suspect Queen Sofia will leave the ruby bandeau to one of her daughters as Letizia (and Leonor/Infanta Sofia) are already getting most of her major jewels.

I once read that the Sapphire tiara came from Princess Louise of Orléans not sure how true that was.

I do hope it finds its way back to the main family line.

I once read that the Sapphire tiara came from Princess Louise of Orléans not sure how true that was.

Yes i read this too that it comes from the mother of the Countess of Barcelona.

Yes i read this too that it comes from the mother of the Countess of Barcelona.

The mother of the Countess of Barcelona is as much a relative of Felipe or JC as she was to Pilar.

My own selfish interest is purely from the perspective of seeing Letizia in a sapphire and diamond tiara, perhaps to match with the earrings already seen in London in 2018.

Back
Top Bottom