Jewellery Gifts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubies

Heir Presumptive
City
daytona beach
Country
United States
I thought it might be fun to have a talk about wedding gifts of jewelry for the royals. I know with Princess Diana there was some display so we could see, and there was mention over the years that this or that was a gift from a country etc... Does any one know anything about other families? Princess Maxima or Princess Mary or any other Princess, about what gifts of jewelry they recieved from other countries or the royal family. The Dutch seem to be very private on this, so I was just wandering if anyone knows much about this topic!!:wub:

Royal Wedding Presents

My Great Great Grandfather made this for Princess Alexandra of Denmark on her marriage to the Prince of Wales as a present on behalf of the Ladies of New South Wales (Australia). The work was commission by the then Govenor Lord Denison

http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictoria/b/4/8/doc/b48806.shtml

The whereabouts of the Golden Casket are unknown however given that it was made in the style of Thorvaldsen with Australian motiff's by Julius Hogarth (anglised his name when he came to Australia during the Goldrush in 1852 ) who was the protege of the Royal Master Goldsmith and Jeweller Jorgan Dalhoff and Europe's greatest Neo Classical Sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen besides his attachement to the Royal Academy of Arts in Copenhagen and a being a Teacher of Metalwork at the Tigup Institute then it truly would be a Treasure trove for whoever has it in their possession.

Last edited:
Princess Mary recieved her wedding tiara as a wedding gift from her in-laws. By marrying the prince she was also allowed to wear Queen Ingrids desiree ruby parue. :flowers:

Few more from the past
Great Britain
1896 royal wedding presents: (not the best view)
NYPL Digital Gallery | Detail ID 831716

"Diamond and pearl necklace, convertible into a tiara. Presented by the Royal Warrant-Holders of England. Diamond and pearl tiara. Presented by the Prince and Princess of Wales. Diamond tiara. Presented by lady and gentlemen friends. Bridesmaids' brooch. Presented by the bridegroom. Diamond and pearl ornament, to be worn as brooch or pendant. Presented by the Drapers' Company. Diamond and turquoise necklace. Presented by the ladies and gentlemen of the queen's household. Diamond and ruby necklace. Presented by the queen."

1871 royal wedding presents
NYPL Digital Gallery | Detail ID 831779

"Locket, given by her Majesty the Queen ; Tiara, given by the Duke and Duchess of Argyll ; Locket, given by H.R.H. the Princess Louise to the bridesmaids ; Bracelet, given by the people of Mull ; Necklace and earrings, given by the upper servants and tenantry of Balmoral ; Bracelet, given by the Marquis of Lorne." Written on mount: "Marriage of Princess Louise".

1905 wedding Margaret and Gustav
http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2009/06/princess-margaret-of-connaughts-wedding.html

I have read that Charles gave Diana emerald earrings, and the Queen Mother gave her the hugh sapphire as wedding presents. Also the Saudi royal family gave Diana a whole matched suite of sapphire jewelry.

Princess Claire received her small tiara from the King and the Queen of the Belgians.
Mathilde received a tiara from the belgian Nobility (this is a tradition) and Astrid received nothing , the only tiara she is wearing is a loan from her stepmother.

Countess Sophie received her wedding tiara from her future-husband.
Crown Princess Mary recived her small diamond tiara from her in laws
just like her ex sister in law Countess Alexandra or it was lent to her for years,
I still have a problem with this.

royal engagement rings

Hi, I was wondering for some time that in all threads there is not much said about rings and especially engagement rings.
We know about Pr. Dianas, Camillas and CP Mathildes and Letizias rings. (Not to talk about Victorias and Madeleines).
Could somebody add some more light to engagement rings/specials rings in RFs?
Thanks.

Princess Claire received her small tiara from the King and the Queen of the Belgians.
Mathilde received a tiara from the belgian Nobility (this is a tradition) and Astrid received nothing , the only tiara she is wearing is a loan from her stepmother.
I didn't know about this tradition. Does it mean, that Queen Fabiola got her Wolfers tiara also as a wedding present of the Belgian nobility?

Queen Paola's diamond tiara used to belong to Queen Elisabeth. Was it a wedding present from her in-laws?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much. You are right - there are really a lot of rings in there. :flowers:
AND now comes the BIG question - we had tiaras - we had rings - what about bracelets? Any nice beautiful bracelets out there?

royal jewels from Saudi Arabia

I know some royal receive jewles from Saudi Arabia. I know QEII and Diana have received jewels from Saudi Arabia. Have the other royal received jewels from Saudi Arabia. anyone have the photo

:previous:
The list.
courtesy of britishroyaljewels.blogspot.com.au

Attachments

• Gifts.jpg
    Gifts.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 425

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 380
Now that Clarence House has released their annual report as well, we have an idea what Camilla and Kate received in 2012. Unfortunately, the list only includes gifts they got from their tours abroad, but still below is a list of jewels (that we know of) received by female royals in 2012. The list of gifts received by the Queen had been published earlier.
They left off Catherine's South Seas twin pearl set - which I am drying to see!

As I read the policy on these gifts - it all belongs to the Crown right? So Anne cannot bequeath the parure to Zara and all of Camilla's big pieces from the Saudis will be there for Catherine to wear one day? Is that correct?

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding of the twin necklace set; I've just added it to the list. :flowers:

In regards to the gift, there is a difference between official and private gifts.

- Official gifts are those received in the course of official duties; they aren't private property of the member of the Royal Family or indeed the Monarch. Instead, they are held in property of the royal who received them for life and after his/her death, they are passed to the Monarch (not personally but in right of the Crown, thus effectively becoming Crown property). However, the Monarch of the time has, under the present guidelines, the freedom to decide whether those gifts should be distributed - e.g. should they become part of the Royal Collection or continue to be held by the late royal's successor(s). Assuming the jewels are held by the deceased royal's successor(s), then upon the successor(s) death, the Monarch of the time will again decide what will happen to those jewels.

In case of Princess Anne, it is possible the Queen (or whoever is the Monarch at the time) will allow some of her non-private jewellery to be used by Zara and Autumn for life, but they'll still revert to the Crown upon their death and it is highly unlikely Anne's grandchildren or great-grandchildren will be permitted to have use of them.
In case of Camilla, her children are not members of the royal family and are extremely unlikely to be allowed use of any of Camilla's official jewellery (including the Saudi parures). The only exception is perhaps during Charles' reign, when they'll be the children of the Queen Consort.

- Personal gifts are those given to royals by those they know privately and not on course or in connection with an official duties. Those gifts are private property of the royal, unless otherwise stipulated. They can include wedding, engagement, birth, Christmas presents, as well as those received on other notable occasions. Gifts received from friends and acquaintances and valued at less than £150 can also be considered private.

For instance, most of jewellery given to Camilla by Prince Charles (including the gorgeous chokers) can be considered her private property and she can pretty much do whatever she wishes with them (unless they already constitute part of Crown Jewels).

One point though: while official gifts are not liable to taxes, private ones can be. Similarly, while there will be no inheritance tax on official gifts (because they are, essentially, Sovereign to Sovereign transactions which are exempt from taxes), there can and will be inheritance tax on private gifts which will be part of the estate of the deceased royal.

Last edited:
State visit/Royal visit Jewels (gifted from one royal to another)

I thought it might be interesting to compile a thread of jewels that were gifted to royals from others royals or presidents, etc. perhaps we can share them here!

I know there is Diana's amazing Sapphires!

The Duchess of Cornwall received two large and beautiful necklaces from the Sultan of Dubai.

Can we start one?

Please start the gifted jewel fun!

Diana's sapphires were a wedding gift from the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia as you say rather than a given on a State Visit, however Camilla has never worn this set.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diana's sapphires were a wedding gift from the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia as you say rather than a given on a State Visit, however Camilla has never worn this set.

USCtrojan said The Duchess of Cambridge had worn the necklace, not The Duchess of Cornwall.

Catherine has not worn this set either

Apologies - I meant to type Catherine and typed Camilla instead! I really shouldn't post anything online before the first coffee of the day!

Apologies - I meant to type Catherine and typed Camilla instead! I really shouldn't post anything online before the first coffee of the day!

My apologies in my miss-typings as well.

Back
Top Bottom