How Much is Too Much??

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly, when I saw a picture of Mary with her ruby parure I think it was a bit too much. The tiara, earrings and necklace were too much. I just wish she used smaller earrings for that. The necklace + tiara is already grand.;)
I have to disagree on that one. Princess Mary looks like a natural in Desiree's Rubies. I think it is something to do with her colouring and stature. :wub:
madeleine victoria said:
Plus, with her hair down it looks like a mess. It would be nice if she have it pinned-up.
Whilst I don't think it looks like a mess, I would love to see it done up a la CP Victoria or P Madeleine. :flowers:

"Maxima maketh the bandeau"
Marg--you have a way with words! I do agree--it is a perfect match between Maxima and the piece--it's a natural fit. But, then again, Maxima looks spectacular in most anything jewel wise.
As for the ruby parue--I have never understood the criticisms of Mary wearing it. Each time I see her in it I am truly gobsmacked by her beauty and grace. SHe wears it well, she wears everything well. I quite admire her--she and Maxima, well, what can I say? They delight and mesmerize!

Too much?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Elizabeth_II,_Buckingham_Palace,_07_Mar_2006.jpeg

That is too much. And the horrid ribbon applique on the dress would be too juvenile for a five year old, let alone HM The Queen!

Do you mena the gold-green? Thas is no embrodery in the gown that is the collar of the Order. This photo is from the State-Visit from Brzil 2 years ago. Queen beatrix had the collar under the ruffle of her gown so it was invisible.

No, I mean the detailing in the dress itself. I can recognize the Collar of an Order.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f0/Elizabeth_II%2C_Buckingham_Palace%2C_07_Mar_2006.jpeg

That is too much.
I assume you are referring to the Brazilian Aquamarine Parure plus Collar of Order, Orders, bracelets etc. Eat your heart out, she looks absolutely wonderful for a woman of her years and makes one hell of an "in your face" great Queen.;)

And the horrid ribbon applique on the dress would be too juvenile for a five year old, let alone HM The Queen!
Well, while obviously not an authority on fashion, without it I think even a five year old would be asking if she was going to topple over as the ensemble looked so top heavy! :ROFLMAO:

It's called balance! I think you are looking at the jewelry and applique as two separate fashion sins. Pull back and look at the full length photo to get the whole picture. Balance. ;)

A little OTT maybe, but Too Much? Never! :flowers:

Last edited:
I assume you are referring to the Emerald Parure plus Collar of Order, Orders, bracelets etc. Eat your heart out, she looks absolutely wonderful for a woman of her years and makes one hell of an "in your face" great Queen

Actually, that's the Brazilian Aquamarine parure. And it clashes horribly with the collar. The thing about wearing that much jewellery is that too much is too much--which is the situation we have here--but WAY too much is just right (look at some pictures of Queen Mary from the early 1900s for an example).

Of course HM looks wonderful--she, herself that is. All the jewelerry is just too much for a woman who normally looks elegant and composed. The necklace clashes with the collar, the enormous tiara (with its enormous and gorgeous aquamarines) needs a much larger hairdo to set it off, the dress is bizarre.. it's kust all too many things competing for the eye, and the overall effect is of a mishmash. Perhaps her dresser was drunk that day. I mean, clearly she had to wear some of the aquamarines, seeing as she was visiting (or being visited by?) Brazil. But there are so many better things she could have done with that ensemble.

Well, while obviously not an authority on fashion, without it I think even a five year old would be asking if she was going to topple over as the ensemble looked so top heavy!

Being top-heavy is precisely part of the problem. Pastel-coloured girlish ribbons are a) not suitable for someone of HM's stature, gravity, and advanced years, and b) not nearly enough, on a white dress, to visually balance all the bling happening further north.

Aha, found what I was looking for.

Compare the ridiculous look of the picture above with this: http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/WKirkwood/UK/FrenchPresidentVisitMarch2008.jpg

See how she's wearing roughly the same amount of bling, but it all works so nicely together?

Last edited:
Actually, that's the Brazilian Aquamarine parure.
Absolutely correct . . . and corrected.

OPrinceOfCanada said:
Compare the ridiculous look of the picture above with this: http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/WKirkwood/UK/FrenchPresidentVisitMarch2008.jpg

See how she's wearing roughly the same amount of bling, but it all works so nicely together?
I love that new look of hers, but still hold that the aquamarines with orders needed something to balance them. I don't think anyone else was looking that up close and personal as the zoomed-in photo we are looking at.

I am of the opinion that HM rarely misses, but this is just not one of her better looks. For me, the problem is that Order. It is yellow gold and everything else is a white metal; it does't look right. Also, while I understand that she wears the family orders, their background colors of pink and blue, with the green stones of the orders, the aquamarines, and that really chunky bracelet are just not creating a real cohesive look. I'm not sure she has too much going on, but I do think that all of that, combined with the neckline of the dress and the drape of the order just gives her a choppy look.

I've never liked this parure on Elizabeth, which to me is a shame because I adore aquamarines. The tiara is such an odd looking thing, and the necklace and bracelet are excessively chunky.

Would have better suited a member of the Brazilian Imperial family, imo.

The earrings in this parue are lovely, there is a brooch that is beautiful as well. The necklace isn't even too bad--but that tiara just looks bad. It is a product of bad design. Those fan shaped attachments---I just looked at it again and I don't think I can find anything nice to say about it. When was it made, because that could be the problem--it looks so dated--has that 60's look.

I love that new look of hers, but still hold that the aquamarines with orders needed something to balance them.

I don't disagree that balance was necessary. Frilly pastel applique ribbons, however, were not the way to go.

For me, the problem is that Order. It is yellow gold and everything else is a white metal; it does't look right. Also, while I understand that she wears the family orders, their background colors of pink and blue, with the green stones of the orders, the aquamarines, and that really chunky bracelet are just not creating a real cohesive look.

Yes! Thank you.. I hadn't been able to put my finger on it. I hate mixed metal (unless it's mixed within a single piece) and that must have been what was niblling at me. And eesh, yes, the colours.. I mean, don't even get me started on Royal Family Orders--they're the single most meaningless decoration there is: "Oh congratulations, you're a female member of the Royal Family! We'd better pin a ribbon on you so everyone knows."; they're in awful, hideous colours that clash with pretty much everything, and for crying out loud... MORE BIG FRILLY RIBBONS! I understand the istorical basis for them, but please, stop wearing them; they ruin otherwise lovely outfits.

I've never liked this parure on Elizabeth, which to me is a shame because I adore aquamarines. The tiara is such an odd looking thing, and the necklace and bracelet are excessively chunky.

Would have better suited a member of the Brazilian Imperial family, imo.

Well yes, except that the parure was a gift from Brazil to HM, so it would be a bit rude not to wear it... that being said, I somewhat agree; stones and metalwork like that need dark hair and a darker complexion to really shine.

I think Queen Elizabeth wears the right amount of jewels, i think wearing too much jewellery spoils whatever dress etc it is meant to be worn with and i have never seen the Queen in pics etc wearing too much.

Well yes, except that the parure was a gift from Brazil to HM, so it would be a bit rude not to wear it... that being said, I somewhat agree; stones and metalwork like that need dark hair and a darker complexion to really shine.

I'm aware of the parure's provenance, and appreciate the Queen's willing diplomacy in wearing them when in the company of a Brazilian entourage. Nobody gestures quite like ER.

The parure just doesn't suit a lady of 82. Though, I never thought it suited her, even when her hair was dark. It's much too bulky for such a diminutive figure as is Elizabeth II.

It is an exotic display of craftmanship better suited for an exotic wearer. Someone with a sun kissed complexion and flowing chocolate locks. Yes, you're on the money!

Of course, the problem, if there be one, good people is that she had to wear the Brazialian order with collar and she had to wear the massive aquamarine tiara-the aquamarines being a gift of the Brazilian people and this was a state dinner for the President and First Lady of Brasil- and then she wore her family orders and the whole thing in my view is somewhat incoherent but still quite something. The real problem has always been that tiara. The stones are gorgeous but the design needs to be redone somehow. I love the necklace, admittedly massive and the earings but the tiara has always been a mixed bag of tricks to me. There is a picture of her at the state dinner for George Bush she gave in Washington wearing th necklace and earings and they are stunning.

Perhaps our resident photoshopping genii could do something with that tiara, keeping the massive quality of the gemstones intact but changing the design. Oh Lady K most radiant and brilliant, Arise!!!!

Back
Top Bottom