How Much is Too Much??

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Margaret was herself the jewel of the house of Windsor. I barely recognized her during one of her last outings, on a wheelchair wering shades or she was blind (?). That was months before she died. Such a tragic end for such a vivacious person.

Last edited:
gogm said:
All of those jewels made those royal ladies look gorgeous...
I think royal ladies can pull it off today - note CP Mary. I'll grant that she's not as loaded down as Queen Alexandra or Queen Mary but I'm sure she can work up to it and still keep it tasteful.

I agree with you on the Brunei royal ladies - WAY over the top. I think it's because their gowns and head coverings are so ... soo.... what's the word I'm looking for... anyway... so....

I think if the fabric were plain instead of printed and multi-almost-neon coloured, all the glitter would probably look great. And its not that the fabric is printed and colored, I think some of the gowns and head coverings are also sequined which you don't really need if you're already wearing that much bling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you on the Brunei royal ladies - WAY over the top. I think it's because their gowns and head coverings are so ... soo.... what's the word I'm looking for... anyway... so....

I think if the fabric were plain instead of printed and multi-almost-neon coloured, all the glitter would probably look great. And its not that the fabric is printed and colored, I think some of the gowns and head coverings are also sequined which you don't really need if you're already wearing that much bling.

totally agree!!! anyway, are those manner of dressing because of traditions?

It's the contrast that can show jewelry off, but the diamonds get lost among the sequins in some of the Brunei dresses. The fabrics are colorful and complex so the overall effect may be something of a walking "op-art" display with nothing for the eyes to settle on. The head covering could also be better blended with the rest of the gown instead of being a separate and detracting additional piece of complicating stuff. This classic picture (its available all over, but this one came from from Worldroots) does show how a heavily ornamented gown and jewels can be combined.
coroqueen2.jpg

i think we have to look at culture and the time the royals live in becouse we cant compare the netherlands with brunei and we cant compare the year 1800 with 2000

Less is more, especially when it comes to jewelery. I always abide by this rule: "Big necklace, tiny earrings. Big earrings, tiny necklace." This way I don't look overloaded with crap. Throw a tiara on top, and you're good to go.

I think CP Mary has done a good job of balancing this. On her wedding day for example, she had that beautiful tiara and the new earrings....rather large earrings, and no necklace. A necklace would have been too much with all that other stuff she had going on.

Too much jewelery makes you look like you're trying too hard. Just because you have access to some of the most beautiful jewels in the world, doesn't mean you have to wear them all at one time. A beautiful tiara, a delicate necklace and some big earrings or some delicate earrings and a grand necklace, is all a Princess really needs to make a statement. Throw in a bracelet and maybe another ring and you're done.

Wearing all that jewelery, orders, sashes, and god knows what else just makes you look too busy.

I don't believe any of the CPs can pull off the look of yesteryear with the same pomp and circumstance as say Queen Mary. She was so upright looking if that makes sense. Yes, less is more today but none of these princesses lived as Queen Mary or even when she was known as Princess May. She was always about duty and she looked the way royalty was suppose to. I think it is a matter of style and what one can pull off. I must admit that I didn't like the "more" look but it all depends upon how tastefully its done.
The more look kept the rest of the world in awe and it still does if you admit to it. It is a reminder that the royals are indeed royal.

Warren said:
Here is a detail of Queen Alexandra's Coronation costume (Corbis) showing some of her amazing array of jewels, and more particularly the fringe 'girdle' or bordeur. Also note the huge diamond sunburst brooch in the centre of her décolletage.

Queen Alexandra's Diamond Bordeur

QueenAlexandradetailofbordeurbelt.jpg

I'm fairly certain that is one of the fringe tiaras wore as a belt (there is another example of a tiara worn as a belt on Garrard's website, showing a peridot tiara of the Austrian Imperial family worn as such).

The aesthetic of the late 19th/early 20th century was much different, and it was appropriate and expected that royals showed off as much as possible. At that time, they were the supreme symbols of their respective nations, and were expected to outdo other countries' monarchs as much as possible. Today, that has changed, and large jewels and parures are only worn for the most formal occasions, perhaps out of tradition as much as anything else.

I personally enjoy it when large jewels are worn--after all, it isn't the academy awards--it's a symbol of the state and its history/culture.

Prince of Chota said:
I'm fairly certain that is one of the fringe tiaras wore as a belt (there is another example of a tiara worn as a belt on Garrard's website, showing a peridot tiara of the Austrian Imperial family worn as such).
I don't think that is a fringe tiara. It's just to long and big as for a tiara.

She is wearing 2 fringe tiaras on her girdle in her coronation picture. She later gave one of them to her daughter Victoria, who inturn gave it to the Queen Mother.

Thomas Parkman said:
I do not entirely agree with the noble members. In the pictures above the marvelous Mary really could use more jewelry in at least three of them. I agree that I would prefer to tone down Queen Mary, but not by much. As for the Brunei royals, that is a cultural thing. Like the food in the region. Heavily spiced and hot. Quite overdone with all that cloth. But then they are not allowed to display their hair. It would, according to the theory arouse lust in men and that is to be avoided at all costs. My response is to have them so covered with jewels, diamonds especially a la Queen Mary so that the lust ridden animals would look at them go blind. Or else be so distracted and overwhelmed by the jewels they would not think of anything else. Ha.

The Bruneian Royal's cloth are usually fully coloured and printed with floral motifs and sometimes it also full of embroidery. Their headscarves are also fully coloured and printed. I think it's a kind of local culture to wear dress like that, just like in Brunei's neighbour country, Malaysia where the big floral pattern are usual. I think the problem is not about the dress but more about the way they wear the jewels. Sometimes they wear brooche, long necklace, bracelet, and rings at the same time and I found that their jewels are also colourfull. It makes them look 'over'. But we have to take a look at Brunei's Crown Princess Sarah. She's just a kind of fresh air for the Bruneian Royal I guess. Eventhough She still wear 'that kind of cloth', sometimes She wear more simple one or even put off her headscarves in some occasions.

I agree that there are a number of factors that contribute to achieving "too much" - the size of the pieces of jewelry and the size of the stones in the jewelry, the style of dress worn, any additional medal/honors/orders worn with the dress & jewelry, the style of the times, the culture. But if they are wearing bracelets and/or rings over long evening gloves, they've definately reached "too much"! I think the current crop of Crown Princesses have definately know not to wear too much, and CP Mary does it best. Of course that may all change when they become Queens and have access to the good stuff!

RubyPrincess168 said:
access to the good stuff!

Good stuff indeed.lol. :ROFLMAO:

Although Mary does have in 'her' possession one of the worlds finnest intact parures. Still, imagine what it shall be like when she becomes Queen :wub:

Last edited:
I am devastated by all your overwhelming "less is more" parole!
All I can say, is , would I have been in any of the current crown princess position I most probably would look very much like Queen Alexandra or Queen Mary:wub:
Could you really restrict yourself to only some of the jewels?:lol:

Since we're not really discussing "How much is too much", and in a (vain?) attempt to keep everything in the appropriate place for future reference, I have moved the Danish jewels to the Queen Margrethe jewellery thread.

Warren
Royal Jewels moderator

fee said:
I am devastated by all your overwhelming "less is more" parole!
All I can say, is , would I have been in any of the current crown princess position I most probably would look very much like Queen Alexandra or Queen Mary:wub:
Could you really restrict yourself to only some of the jewels?:lol:

I'd probably load up with jewels in the privacy of my dressing room when no one else is around!:lol: But I think the "less is more" came into being when the Empress and Shah of Iran paid a State visit to the Kennedy White House. The Empress was wearing a gold dress and tons of emeralds and Jackie Kennedy wore a pink & white dress with a pin in her hair. Jackie was the champion of "less is more" and the Empress looked ridiculous next to her.

I think "too much" depends on the person wearing the jewelry. Mette-Merit has sort of an Audrey Hepburn beauty, so she shouldn't wear lots of jewelry, or bulky pieces. I think Letizia and Mary fall into that category too. On the other hand, Maxima is a very flashy woman who has the personality to carry off the jewelry. (Not a criticism of anyone, just a personal observation.)

iowabelle said:
I think "too much" depends on the person wearing the jewelry. Mette-Merit has sort of an Audrey Hepburn beauty, so she shouldn't wear lots of jewelry, or bulky pieces. I think Letizia and Mary fall into that category too. On the other hand, Maxima is a very flashy woman who has the personality to carry off the jewelry. (Not a criticism of anyone, just a personal observation.)

I agree with you on Mette-Marit and Letizia, however Mary can pull of wearing a lot of jewelry. The ruby parure looks amazing on her IMO. Mathilde would be able to be covered with jewels to, she has something regal about her which will enable her to pull it of.

I don't like the looks of the ruby parure on Mary. I think it's just too old-fashioned and heavy for her; Maxima, on the other hand, could wear jewelry like that, no problem. Just my opinion of course!

Maybe Mary is on the cusp of just enough/too much. She isn't as delicate as Letizia and MM, but I don't think her personality is as big as Maxima's.

(I know we all have favorites so I don't mean this to denigrate anyone's favorite princess -- I think they're all attractive, but just not the same!)

I agree with you iowabelle. Even though the ruby parure itself is beautiful, it looks heavy on Mary.

Perhaps she will look better on it when she gets older, as these jewels look more appropiate for a more mature woman... maybe when she becomes Queen.

The whole ensemble is superb, but the earrings look too big in my opinion.

zarzuela said:
I agree with you iowabelle. Even though the ruby parure itself is beautiful, it looks heavy on Mary.

Perhaps she will look better on it when she gets older, as these jewels look more appropiate for a more mature woman... maybe when she becomes Queen.

The whole ensemble is superb, but the earrings look too big in my opinion.
I think the fact that the majority of the photos we see are "head & sholder" shots which do not do the gala dress/jewelry justice is the major problem. :sad:

If anything I think Mary should just take a page from Queen Margrethe and 'go large'. It suits the occassions and it suits those gorgeous jewels. :flowers:

Last edited:
Mary seems to wear the parure tiara in a rather unorthodox manner compared to its predecessors. Often titled towards the back of her head instead of the often favoured upright position.

I think its suits her wonderfully, though I also favour the more coventional norm of tiara sporting.

Perhaps it has more to do with the fact she has worn her hair out, and has not had a hairstyle which accommodates the upright method of tiara wearing? I'm not sure.

One thing is for definite, if she is going to wear the parure, it must be complimented with a gown of formidable bearing. Go all out! Such remarkable pieces of art (jewellery) require a gown that best expresses the orante richness that is the image of a lady royal.

Nothing flamboyant, on the contrary. It should be something simple and matched with an elegant neckline which favourably exhibits the lady's more impressive features...her décolletage, shoulders and to no greater extent, her bust.

Arching backlines are normally very becoming, and they have proven to look irresistable on Mary.

And something with a train..always a train. I'm actually really pleased to note that the Danish royal women favour trains which is great and very appropriate.

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
One thing is for definite, if she is going to wear the parure, it must be complimented with a gown of formidable bearing. Go all out! Such remarkable pieces of art (jewellery) require a gown that best expresses the orante richness that is the image of a lady royal.

Nothing flamboyant, on the contrary. It should be something simple and matched with an elegant neckline which favourably exhibits the lady's more impressive features...her décolletage, shoulders and to no greater extent, her bust.

Arching backlines are normally very becoming, and they have proven to look irresistable on Mary.

And something with a train..always a train. I'm actually really pleased to note that the Danish royal women favour trains which is great and very appropriate.
I'm drooling just at the mental picture!;)

iowabelle said:
I don't like the looks of the ruby parure on Mary. I think it's just too old-fashioned and heavy for her; Maxima, on the other hand, could wear jewelry like that, no problem. Just my opinion of course!

Maybe Mary is on the cusp of just enough/too much. She isn't as delicate as Letizia and MM, but I don't think her personality is as big as Maxima's.

(I know we all have favorites so I don't mean this to denigrate anyone's favorite princess -- I think they're all attractive, but just not the same!)

Ah its a long time since I've seen this thread. Its good to take a look at it again.

I still like Mary in that parure although Ingrid did look smashing in it too. I actually think Mary's delicacy pulls the look together. If Mary had strong heavy features and wore a heavy ornate tiara, the strength of her features would compete with the ornateness of the tiara, somewhat like two prima donnas fighting over the same stage.

But with the tiara and parure so ornate and Mary so delicate, it brings up a nice contrast with the delicate Mary in the center of an ornate and beautiful frame.

I think Mary could have pulled it off better if she wore her hair up higher (like her wedding hairdo), and she didn't wear red at the pre-wedding gala. A big/heavy tiara requires big hair. And red is a very attention-demanding color. I know she was trying to match her parure, but I think the gown distracted/clashed with it.

Hmm, interesting observations. Although I know its called the ruby parure, I don't think the rubies are the eye-catchers in this parure as much as the elaborate scrollwork of the gold. So the rubies and the red dress didn't bother me because the overall gold of the parure went well with the red.

I think Mary looked fantastic with everything. Not too over the top in my opinion. I have seenher with her hair up and the tiara and the jewels look better to me with her hair down. It might be the pictures...and I know this isn't the hair thread but her hair always looks healthy and shiny...and the Ruby parure always look magnificent.

For me, its the ivy leaves. The attention to detail with the authenticity of shape and size is just gorgeous.

Clearly of a Napoleonic (Empire) manufacture, the craftmanship of the parure is simply magnificant and as was noted by another member, it compliments Mary's delicate features to no end.

I'm drooling just at the mental picture!;)

I take it you agree then MARG ;)..hehe?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom